• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Common Courtesy

Do you agree with common courtesies?

• Yes

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • No

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 13, 2011
    I don't want to look like a rude person here, but I absolutely hate what people consider to be common courtesy.

Agree or argue with me if you want, but one of the worst ones I hate is having to give up your seat on the bus for someone older than you and having to take off your hat during your national anthemn.

First with bus seats, I never give up my seat to anyone, young or old. Never have, never will. Here's how I look at it.

If everybody has taken all the setas, that's because they were on the bus earlier than you and probably had to wake up early to catch it. You pay for a ride o nthe bus, so that should buy you the right to keep your seat if one's available.

And for seniors who come on, they know the risks of taking a bus. The seats may be taken. If they wish, they could just get off the bus without even going for one route if they really can't stand. If they want to sit so badly, they should call a cab or a family/friend for a ride, not trouble someone.

And with the hats on national anthemn, I challenged it at our school since I have the "right" to act how I please in a non-violent way, and wearing a hat is in no way violent.

But in the end, I don't even have to stand, which I think is right.

I don't need to stand for a song if I don't want to. Doesn't take away my citizenship to my country.

And I don't see how hats can't be worn. It's like saying you can't wear your shirt or shoes. Hats are clothes too.

Those are the biggest "coomon courtesies" that peeve me.

So what do you think? Should people like you and me have the choice to opt out of these acts of kindness or do you think it's wrong for us not to do these acts?

Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2013
    thats why they call it common courtesy. these things aren't mandatory, they're actions people commonly take because they want to be friendly. i normally hold doors open for people and i'd give my seat up on the bus happily for anyone (not for natural differences like age though, just out of friendliness), but there are a few things considered courteous that i choose not to do, like including 'under God' in the pledge of allegiance, or saying the pledge at all. i don't believe in patriotism, and i don't mind if people have a problem with my choices.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    So what do you think? Should people like you and me have the choice to opt out of these acts of kindness or do you think it's wrong for us not to do these acts?

You already have the choice, and I think its the respectful thing to do.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    If you've got a pack of cigs, other smokers will just assume you've no qualms about handing them out freely. I don't smoke but it seems like the most annoying thing ever, not to mention also because they'll most probably challenge you on the matter if you refuse.

This can be applied to anything small and consumable, really, it just seems most prevalent with cigarettes — people ask for a couple crisps from the bag you just opened, the second bar of your Twix, so on.

I'm indifferent to most of these little rituals and expected behaviours, but again, most of them are practically pointless so I don't think anybody should be shunned for not taking part.

Rich Boy Rob

"Fezzes are cool." The Doctor
    Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2016
    I would give up my seat to a pregnant woman/elderly person because... well it's common courtesy. As for taking your hat off during the national anthem, when would this problem arise? Whilst watching the World Cup? I don't think they even sing it during the Queen's speech at Xmas (not that I watch it anyway). I didn't know you supposed to anyway, or is it just a yanky thing?

Eternal Nightmare

Stunningly Handsome
    Years
    • Seen Aug 21, 2015
    Its not like we have to do it. When I do have some common courtesy I do it because I care and being nice. It is annoying when people ask for some of your chips or can they have this and that when its obviously yours often times when I say no people are so quick to catch an attitude like I'm suppose to share with them T-T. I don't mind moving out of a seat if I see a legitimate reason but other than that I'm keeping my seat. So

So to an extent I'm ok with common courtesy but still its a tad aggrivating.

I Laugh at your Misfortune!

Normal is a synonym for boring
    Years
  • I'm happy to give up my seat to someone who clearly needs it more than me, just cause I think it's a nice thing to do. Though, if they were to ask me to give them my seat, I'd probably refuse on the grounds that I have just as much of a right to it. But, y'know, I'm just weird like that.

It's not a complaint per se, but there's one thing about being polite that really annoys me. Everyone, and I mean everyone in the street and in the shops who you walk past is bound to push past you, stop suddenly while they'rw right in front of you or whatever. But when you get to the door and deicde to stand back to let someone through, you just know they'll be the one person determined to be the most polite so you just stand there for ages going "after you" "Oh no, after you" "I insist" "I insist more" AAARRRGGGHH.

ANARCHit3cht

Call me Archie!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 25, 2020
    I agree with doing these common courtesies. However, on my trip to Oregon, on the bustrain thing, it was mandatory to give up seats for elderly/disabled people. I mean, I could undersand if they were in like a wheel chair and couldn't go up the steps... but... yeah.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • I've always thought of both examples as being more about respect than common courtesy. Giving up seats on the bus is just sorta a nice gesture. If you're young and fit, you can stand you offer your seat to someone who may be elderly, pregnant, or disabled.

There's the "pay it forward" theory that my dad lives by and consequently instilled in me. If you do a good deed for a stranger, they'd be moved by your good deed into doing another good deed for another stranger, and so on, making the world (or at least your immediate geographic locale) a happier, better, and friendlier place. I believe in this and usually go about and do at least three good deeds every day, no matter how small or big. :P

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    I'm happy to give up my seat to someone who clearly needs it more than me, just cause I think it's a nice thing to do. Though, if they were to ask me to give them my seat, I'd probably refuse on the grounds that I have just as much of a right to it. But, y'know, I'm just weird like that.

It's not a complaint per se, but there's one thing about being polite that really annoys me. Everyone, and I mean everyone in the street and in the shops who you walk past is bound to push past you, stop suddenly while they'rw right in front of you or whatever. But when you get to the door and deicde to stand back to let someone through, you just know they'll be the one person determined to be the most polite so you just stand there for ages going "after you" "Oh no, after you" "Okay, YOINK!"

Bold text has been edited for my position on the matter.

Here it's like an insult to refuse to pass through a door while somebody is holding it open for you.

Courtesy is a bigger deal where I live, I suppose. If you don't want to do it, it's your choice, but if your timing's off people will think you're being a jerk. Is it such a problem to get where you're going a few seconds later than if you didn't cut that guy off on the highway? In some cases, maybe it is, but most of the time you're not rushing to the hospital to perform brain surgery or having a baby in the car. Y'know what I mean, Vern?

helix

tea-binger.
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jan 21, 2016
    I believe in common courtesy because little things like that affect the general opinion of me, and I do not want to appear to be in possession of a bad character.

Years
    • Seen Dec 4, 2011
    Agree or argue with me if you want

Okay I will.

but one of the worst ones I hate is having to give up your seat on the bus for someone older than you

Okay first thing about this:

If everybody has taken all the setas, that's because they were on the bus earlier than you and probably had to wake up early to catch it. You pay for a ride o nthe bus, so that should buy you the right to keep your seat if one's available.

That is agreeable so far, except for the part about paying for a seat. You're not. You're paying for the ride on the bus, whether you sit or not.

And for seniors who come on, they know the risks of taking a bus. The seats may be taken.

The problem I see with this is that buses are for everyone to use. I don't know if it's the same where you're from, but over here the elderly and disabled have as much right to travel by bus as any other citizen. But for them to execute those rights certain allowances need to be made for them, and they are made for them. There are signs on the windows asking to give up a seat to anyone who is unable to stand and special spaces for wheelchairs with a foldable seat someone can use if the space is not occupied. If a wheelchair user comes along, that seat needs to be given up so they can squeeze into the wheelchair gap.

It is no different from giving up your seat to an elderly man or woman. You are far, far more able to keep your balance on the bus. If you had a genuine condition that prevented you from being able to do this, you could say so and someone else would give up their seat instead. It's not just some silly ritual that has no meaning. It's so everyone can gain the benefits of public transport, not just the fit and able. The inconvenience of not being able to sit is far outweighed by the inconvenience of others being unable to travel, so these allowances and accommodations need to be made.

If they wish, they could just get off the bus without even going for one route if they really can't stand. If they want to sit so badly, they should call a cab or a family/friend for a ride, not trouble someone.

Get off the bus... and then what? If they can't stand for long periods of time, how are they expected to walk to their destination/back home?

Call a cab? Most people cannot afford to call a cab every time they want to travel. Over here for example, travelling about five miles by bus costs £1.20. Travelling the same distance by cab costs about £15. Do the maths.

Ask a family or friend, does that not count as troubling someone? It is certainly more trouble than someone giving up their seat. Plus, being reliant on family is very freedom-restricting, especially if the family don't have the time to give up. What if they don't even have family, or what if the family themselves only use public transport? What if nobody has a car?

Also, it is incredibly selfish to say that you are "troubled" by having to give up your seat. It's just a seat. You can deal without it. Others can't, others that deserve the same right to be able to travel but don't have the physical capability to stand being shuffled around by the bus and don't have any other means of freedom to travel.

We are all in this world together. Some people need a little helping hand, or a seat in this case.

In short when common courtesy helps someone more in need than myself, I very much agree with it. I'm sure any trouble placed on me for doing so isn't going to weigh up to the trouble on their end if they're not given the help they need.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Get off the bus... and then what? If they can't stand for long periods of time, how are they expected to walk to their destination/back home?
    Sorry to pick out one mere sentence I found funny but, if they'd have trouble walking back home how do you suppose they got to the bus stop in the first place?
    Political correctness aside if I may, people THAT frail shouldn't for the good of themselves be taking public buses in the first place. Where I live at least there's a seperate bus service that stops at individual homes for people with such mobility troubles.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 4, 2011
    I find it odd how you use the expression "people THAT frail" because you don't need to be very frail to get knocked about while standing on a bus. I'm reasonably healthy and I've fallen a couple of times while the bus was taking sharp corners. Luckily I'm young so not as prone to serious injuries as the elderly.

Some people are fine walking to the bus stop alone, sitting on the bus and off the bus to their destination. But when it comes to standing on the bus while it's moving, or walking great distances, they don't have the balance or stamina. My granny for example, a very independant woman for her age sometimes needs to take the bus into town. That's a long walk even for me and I take long walks a lot.

Still, despite this she can't stand very easily while the bus is moving. She might be doing all right for herself but she still easily gets knocked about when the bus is turning corners. And no, there is no separate bus service in her area for frailer folk. Just because this service is available in some places (and it is good to hear that it is) doesn't mean it's available everywhere.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    Its called common courtesy, not mandatory courtesy. Here in our place, its a common courtesy to kiss the hand of elders but I don't do it often.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • lmao, I hope one day when OP is old and lives near the middle of a bus line (and thus can't just "take the bus earlier"), s/he remembers this thread. I mean, seriously, your line of reason is ridiculous for the bus part. "Get up earlier"? That makes no sense if you really do live in the middle of a bus route. Inevitably, people who get on the bus closer to where it starts the route are going to fill up the seats first. If they're still on it when a little old lady who needs to sit down for her safety gets on the bus, it's only polite to give up the seat. (In fact, on most buses I've ever been on, the first 4-6 seats are reserved for the elderly or those with disabilities and anyone able-bodied sitting in those seats must give them up if someone needs them.) It has nothing to do with getting up early. And most people take public transit because it's convenient (ie they don't have to bum rides off of friends or family members, something I assume OP doesn't want to do either hence the public transit) or because they can't afford taxis. :( I mean, dude, just heading 20 minutes away in a taxi can be up to $30. I don't know anyone who can afford that on a daily basis. Not touching upon the "don't take the bus if you can't stand up during it!" line because other people have done it better.

Anyway, I give up my seat for people who look like they need it more than I do and I'm extremely thankful when people do the same for me. (ie when I'm carrying a lot of groceries or I had to run the last block to catch the bus and am totally out of breath). I hold the door open for others when they're close behind, or at least hold it open long enough for it to not close on them if I'm in a hurry. (And I'll always stop and open a door for someone who looks like they'll have trouble with it, even if I'm not going into that building.) I'm very uncreative right now and can't think of many other common courtesies (aside from giving someone my attention when I'm talking to, which I'm bad at but I do attempt... or turning your phone off in a meeting/class/movie, etc.) but I do my best to be polite and helpful to others and hope they do the same for me in reversed situations.

I don't care so much about the anthem and hats or whatever. But when it directly involves other people, common courtesy is more about being polite than anything. I think OP completely misses the point of it. I'd prefer a society that helps out one another rather than a "ME ME ME" mentality. :/

Silver

Kyle
    Years
  • tbqh op, you should like a typical teenager 'rebelling' against the norms of society.

Like erika said, I hope you remember this thread someday when you're old and no one will give up a seat for you.

But back on topic, I have the same type of pay it forward attitude that Tim does. Call it karma, or whatever you like. I'd much prefer to be the nice person who sacrifices myself to help someone else, than the angsty teenager who won't.

Years
  • I have no problem with common courtesy. They're mostly things that, if I were in the same position, I would appreciate having done for me. That, and I want to be helpful and considerate. It makes me feel like a better person. Selfish reasons, maybe, but at least the end result isn't.

I would be more than willing to give up my seat for someone who needed it, because you know what? I would feel bad otherwise, and if it were me in that position, I'd really appreciate it. (Whether I'd notice on the bus, though, is another issue altogether... I'm not very alert sometimes. >>)

Personally, OP, I don't agree with your stance on buses at all but it's all been said better. As for the hats and standing for the national anthem, I think that's another issue entirely: respect for your country, not common courtesy. YMMV on that one, though, obviously.

biancafanboy

Pokemon master
    Years
  • Everyone should work to better themselves.... some more than others lol. I'm fairly new here and I've already met some rude people, and why are they rude to people? Because they have no self respect for themselves, ergo they have no respect for otheres. :) Thats the way I see it atleast.

Back