• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fallen Hero

[Technya]

Chick in riot gear!
Years
CHAPTER I: (PG-13) (some mild language)

Traveling through a thick forest were Ash, Brock, May and Max, they?d been lost for about three days after Ash let the map slip from his hands and getting dragged down the river. They had been walking without knowing if they were going in circles or not, even though they kept going. Around dusk May began to complain that her feet were hurting, Max said it was getting pretty late to keep going and Ash, as usual complained that he was hungry. Hearing all the rants and nags Brock decided that it was pretty late and he himself was getting hungry and was tired as well, they saw a clearing and decided that spot was prefect to make camp, as he cooked, May gathered the plates and Max helped and Ash was just simply getting his sleeping bag out. As he was doing that he couldn?t help but feel as if there was something else out there besides the four of them, five including Pikachu who stood on Ash?s shoulder, something felt out of place and quite wrong. He shook the feeling off and continued on with the sleeping bag, as he did he heard a twig snap, a little too close to where he was, he turned around and saw Brock, May and Max already eating, then he looked into the forest and a cold shiver ran down his spine. For a minute he froze, staring into the darkness of the woods, which gave off quite an unbearable feeling of discomfort and fright even, never before had any forest he had encountered in the last four years had given him such a feeling. Brock, May and Max noticed him staring out into the forest; they thought it a little strange that he hadn?t rushed over when he saw that dinner was ready, they looked at each other and Brock said.
Brock: Hey?Ash? You all right?
Ash: Huh? Uhhh?yeah I guess so.
He walked over to where they were sitting and ate, after that they put out the fire and went to sleep. Ash somehow couldn?t sleep, his mind was racing with the thought that he could have sworn there was something out there; he looked at Pikachu who was asleep like everybody else. He decided he was probably being paranoid so he closed his eyes and slowly began to fall asleep, seconds later he heard a rustling noise near the bushes, he stood up quickly and frantically looked around. He couldn?t see anything so he reached for his backpack and got the lantern out and turned it on, he pointed the light at the spot where he heard the noise but there was nothing out there; still he got up and went in that same direction. He walked through the bush and looked around, nothing; he kept walking forward until he knew if he kept going he?d get lost. He exhaled deeply and turned around, at that minute he realized he was lost; he?d walked in too deep and didn?t remember how to get back or even remembered where he was. He started to make his way back but suddenly the lantern turned off and it all became pitch-black, not even the light from the moon could help since the sky was thick with rain clouds. Ash was somewhat terrified and felt like screaming his lungs out in an attempt to call for help, but he held his ground and kept walking forward, if he was lucky he?d into the camp site soon, unfortunately his luck wasn?t that good that night. He ran into another clearing but it wasn?t the one they?d made camp in, although it was remarkably similar to the one they?d been in, there was the same pointy rock next to the small thin tree, the broken branch with an old nest hanging from the tip, it all looked the same but it wasn?t, Brock, May and Max were nowhere to be found. On the verge of a massive nervous breakdown Ash dropped the lantern and looked around nervously as he began to hear strange disturbing voices coming from all directions, the voices were almost echo like but they sounded close, almost as if they were being whispered right to his ear, he covered his ears, closed his eyes and began to yell.
Ash: Brock!!! This ain?t funny anymore!! May, Max!!! Where are you guys?!
Even with his ears covered he still heard the voices clear as bells on a Sunday morning, that little event went on for a while, soon the voices began to sound faster and faster until they suddenly stopped. He uncovered his ears and opened his eyes, right before him stood a tall figure wearing a black torn up cloak that covered its entire body, the face was covered as well by a hood that didn?t even allow the face to be seen or at least show some of its features. Ash looked down and he saw no feet or shoes, the figure was floating in the air, not believing what was before him he turned around to run for his life but the figure somehow appeared right in front of him, thinking there were two he turned around but it wasn?t there anymore. He looked at it once more and thought he wasn?t about to let someone playing a joke on him was gonna get the best of him, he backed up a bit and bumped into a big rock, he bent down to get it, it was heavy but he managed to grab it with both hands. He tossed it at the figure and just inches from hitting it, the rock froze in mid air, and suddenly two blood red eyes glew from the darkness of the hooded face and the rock flew inches from Ash?s head. He gasped and looked at the figure in fear and confusion, his brain was trying to process what he?d just seen, this of course could turn out to be some Pok?mon but he wasn?t sure, that what it had just done with the rock could have been a psychic attack, but deep inside he felt this thing, whatever it was, was a threat to him, maybe even to his life. Suddenly Ash felt an impact at the back of his head, the impact felt like hitting the concrete floor after falling from the 10th floor of a tall building, he fell to the ground and closed his eyes. Ash opened his eyes and turned to his left side and threw up on the floor, suddenly he realized the floor was actually a white porcelain floor, he looked around and found himself in a completely white room. His vision was a bit blurry but he could see, at the far side of the room he saw someone sitting on what he made out to be a chair, he rubbed his eyes and his eyesight began to clear up. He stood up and saw an old man around his late 50s, he had white hair, and pale skin, and he was wearing an Armani suit and had a black shiny cane in his hands. The old man stood up and so did Ash, for a minute the old man seemed to be studying Ash as Ash looked at him, he was rather confused as to how he got there, the old man could see that from the look on his face, then finally the old man spoke with a British accent and said.
Old man: Hello Ash.
Ash: How?d you?
Before he could finish asking the old man waved Ash?s Pok?dex, he checked his pockets and found that his Pok?dex was gone and that in fact that one in the old man?s hand was his indeed.
Ash: Heeeey!
Old man: No worries lad just took it to find out who you were.
Ash: Still. Got a name or something?
Old man: Oh, my apologies. My name is Dr. Van Marcus. I?m a psychiatrist for the city of Aeon?
Ash: Whoa, whoa, whoa! Time out! You?re a shrink?
Dr. Van: Yes, and also a leading scientist. But we will not go into those details right now.
Ash: How?d I get here?
Dr. Van: You?ll be safe here.
Ash: What is going on? And where are my friends?
Dr. Van: You?ll be out of here soon enough and?
Ash?s anger was rising and strangely it felt fierce and at some point it sort of scared him but he blew and punched the wall and the old man shut up for about a minute, he realized that he had become angry and at that point the doctor knew if his rage would get out of control it would mean disastrous for his own safety as well as Ash?s. Indeed the doctor knew what had happened the night before and what was happening to Ash at the very minute, though Ash himself had no clue of what happened or why he was being kept in that room. Dr. Van sighed deeply and looked at Ash sadly, he noticed that and calmed down a bit, now instead of rage he felt fear and panic, perhaps something had happened to Brock or May or Max. He shook that feeling aside and looked at the doctor who stood still holding his cane in his hands tightly.
Ash: What?s wrong?
Dr. Van: There have been some studies going on using Pok?mon DNA some of them went wrong and?
Ash: What is this Resident Evil? What, am I gonna turn into one of those rotting walking corpses?
Dr. Van: No, not zombies, lad.
Ash: I don?t like how you said that. Not zombies? What the hell is that supposed to mean?
Dr. Van: You?re not going to turn into anything. Just calm down and we?ll explain later.
Ash: The hell you are! Let me out of here. Open the door!
Dr. Van: I?m afraid I can?t do that.
Ash: Why not?
Dr. Van: Because for now you?re a danger to everyone even yourself.
The fear in Ash was drained and rage took its place, the rage rose and he could feel how it was taking over him bit by bit, the doctor began to speak but he couldn?t hear him, he?d blocked him and every other sound in the room out. Ash stood still and straight, his arms down and on his side and he stared right into the doctor?s eyes, suddenly the ground began to shake and the lights flickered on and off rapidly. The doctor looked about scared and wondering what he should do to prevent a disaster from taking his and Ash?s life or injuring them. In an effort to regain control of the situation Dr. Van walked a bit close to Ash and said.
Dr. Van: Please calm down before you get us killed. Ash!
Suddenly everything stopped and it all fell quiet once again, Ash sort of snapped back in place, now more confused than before he was going to ask what had just happened but a near by alarm shook them both. The doctor ran out and locked the door, all Ash could do was wait until he came back and then he might get some answers as to what happened earlier. He walked up to the wall and leaned his back on it, and then slowly slid to the floor and sat down, his knees were up and he put his face between them, he felt his eyes burning from the tears ready to spill from just about everything happening, he wondered if the guys were safe, if they were even alive. Suddenly the door burst open and three people completely dressed in black ran in, they were wearing black ski masks so that no one could look upon their faces and identify them. The tallest one from the group kneeled down in front of Ash and put his glove covered hand over Ash?s mouth and put his index finger over his own indicating him to keep quiet. Ash did and the person in front of him got up and another one came down and held a wet gray piece of clothe over his nose and mouth, Ash struggled a bit but he felt his eyes getting foggy and they started to close. When his eyes opened he saw a burgundy colored roof with a fan over him, he sat up and looked around, he was lying on a bed with black covers, the room had candles all over of the same colors of the bed sheets and walls, there was a dresser in front of him and two windows on the walls covered by thick velvet curtains on opposite sides of the dresser, that was just about it and he also noted the air conditioner and a closet with wooden doors to the right of the bed. Next to the closet was a door and on the other side of the closet was another door, he got up and went to the door on the left side of the closet. He opened the door and found it was a bathroom, had a sink, shower and everything else a bathroom was made up of, the bathroom had the same design as the room. He closed the door and behind the door stood a guy who scared him and from the shock he said.
Ash: Jesus Christ!! What the hell is wrong with you?!
Guy: Relax mate.
He said with a British accent as the doctor had. The guy looked about 15 to maybe 17, he was tall, had hazel nut eyes and honey brown spiky hair, he was dressed all in black, he had on a Slipknot shirt and baggy pants with several chains hanging from the pants, he had on a pair of black Converse and on his wrists he had several black leather spike bracelets and around his neck was a strange looking cross with vines wrapped around it.
Guy: About time you woke up sunshine, been sleeping for 12 hours.
Ash: Twelve hours?
Guy: Yeah. Oh and by the way, name?s Lucerian. You must be Ash Ketchum.
Ash: Suddenly everyone knows my name, this place is creeping me out.
Lucerian: Well c?mon; want you to meet the rest of the team.
Ash: Team?
Lucerian led Ash to what seemed like a living room; the living room was huge and spacious, it had the same color as the room where Ash woke up in, the furniture was of black leather, a sofa, two love seats and a chair, there was a huge plasma TV on the wall next to where he was standing, at the other side of the room was what looked like a mini bar and in front of it was an old grand piano, next to the main door was a wooden shelf with a strange old vase with a medieval style to it and in it were about a dozen black roses, on each of the corners of the room were small speakers, and on the wall at the mini bar was a huge stereo. The place seemed quite set up and the stuff in it was expensive so that meant they had cash, at the piano a girl around 14 to 16 walked up to them and greeted them, she too had a British accent, the girl was gorgeous, she was the same height as Ash, she had long, dark hair that fell in rings down her back, her eyes were wide and the color of leaves in fall, her face looked young but her eyes set off a wildness he?d never before seen in a girls? eyes before, she as well as Lucerian was completely dressed in black. She had one a black blouse that had long transparent sleeves that formed a bell like shape at the end of it, she had tight black pants and some black 24 hole rock boots, around her neck was a black, thin rope with a black cross charm that sort of gave off a mysterious look just as her eyes did. On her wrists were just two of the bracelets Lucerian had though he must have had over five in each arm, she simply had one on each arm, her make up was simple yet as dark as the rest of the room, she had on black eyeliner and black mascara, she also wore a black lipstick with silver glitter on it, her nails were black as well. Then from behind her came another young man, like Lucerian he looked around 15 to 17, he had long black hair that fell dead on his back, he wasn?t as tall but he wasn?t short, his eyes were also dark, he did however have a scar across his left cheek, it looked deep as if something cut deeply into his cheek. Like the rest of them he was also dressed in black, he had a black turtleneck shirt and baggy pants and also 24 hole rock boots, since the shirt was long sleeved Ash couldn?t tell if he also wore those spiked bracelets, they didn?t bother him at all, he?d just never seen them up close before. However, he did notice a silver chain with a silver Ankh charm at the end of it.
Lucerian: All right, this lovely young girl is Erzsebet and he is Luca.
Erzsebet: Pleasure to meet you.
Luca: Hello mate.
Ash: Yeah?hi.
Lucerian: C?mon don?t be shy. So you?re from Pallet are you not?
Ash: You also have the Pok?dex?
Lucerian: Nope.
Ash looked at him almost in shock, he didn?t carry any i.d. with him and if he hadn?t looked at the Pok?dex there was no way he could have known that information, of course at that point there wasn?t much that would surprise him. He dared not to ask how he knew but he just had to know whether the answer would be of sane roots or not.
Ash: Can I ask you a question?
Lucerian: Shoot.
Ash: How?d you know my name and where I come from?
Lucerian chuckled and looked at the other two and then back at him and said.
Lucerian: Same way you know who is at the door at this very minute.
Ash: What? The pizza you ordered?
He fell silent and was in complete shock that he said that with all the confidence in the world, there was a knock at the door and Luca went to open the door and a pizza delivery guy stood at the door with two large pizza boxes. Ash?s eyes widened at the sight of the delivery guy, then his mind had been flooded with impossible questions and a sudden fear rose up inside of him. Luca set the pizza at the mini bar and they all went to it except for Ash who stood still from the whole thing that had just happened, they saw him still over there and Lucerian called him and said.
Lucerian: Luca is a living-breathing vacuum you know.
Luca: Oh you?re so funny.
Erzsebet: Ash?
Ash: How was that even possible?
Lucerian: You?re gonna want to sit down lad.
Ash sat at the sofa and Lucerian walked over and sat down on the chair in front of him, he sat down and without saying a word he looked him straight in the eyes and even with his mouth closed Ash could still hear him talking.
Lucerian: Telepathy. You also have it.
Ash: How?
Lucerian: Let me explain.
Lucerian got up and actually began to talk through his mouth, Ash still very confused looked at him and then the others and suddenly remembered Brock and the others, he?d eventually ask about them but he first needed to know what was going on.
Lucerian: Three years ago a scientist came to Aeon City and built a lab somewhere in it, no one knows for sure where it is and those who claim to know vanish. Anyways, there were rumors that this man was experimenting with Pok?mon DNA, but he was doing the illegal kind of experiments, breaking the Harvard code. The genetic type. There had been several sights of unusual Pok?mon in these parts, trainers from all over have come to capture them but have not succeeded yet. There is also the rumor that the experiments have had the involvement of humans as test subjects, against their free will. Captured, hunted even kidnapped to take part in this mad man?s little sick games. Anyway, several subjects escaped during a raid. The subjects can take human shape but inside they?re anything but, at free will they can change into what truly lies inside of them, an abnormality of great power. These creatures harness a power of no match, it has no weakness and it cannot be defeated, not even by those legends that are so powerful to some people. This new type is a mix of psychic and dark, mixed together in the oddest way to create a power like no other, the three of us harness that gift and you now have it.
Ash: How?
Luca: What?s the last thing you remember?
Ash thought back to the night they were camping out to sleep, he remembered part of the fear he felt from the forest, he recalled falling asleep but being awakened by a sound in a bush and then it hit him, the cloaked figure.
Ash: That thing in the woods. There was a figure, I couldn?t see its face, didn?t know if it was human or Pok?mon or anything. Then I noticed it had been hovering about two inches off the ground and when I tossed a rock at it, the rock froze in midair and it tossed it back at me and something hit the back of my head.
Erzsebet: That figure was just an illusion to distract you. Look at your left arm above your elbow.
Ash looked at his arm and saw part of it covered in a white clothe and there was a bloody spot, he removed it and saw a faint bite mark, he looked at it for several minutes and then looked at them, now even more confused he was trying to understand them so far. As far as Lucerian was explaining he understood so he kept quiet and listened.
Luca: Omega. The first experiment was the first to get out; sadly it cannot take human form and is as wild and vicious as a stampede of wild Tauros. Unlike us if he bites a victim then they too become one of us.
Ash: Okay, stop! No, no, no, no! I was told I wasn?t gonna turn into anything.
Erzsebet: You?re not. When we mean turn we mean acquire our ?gifts?, harness the same power within us.
Ash: How do I get rid of it?
Lucerian: We?ve yet to discover a way.
Ash: So I?m stuck like this forever?!
Luca: Calm down.
Ash: How do you want me to calm down?! And where are they?!
Lucerian: Your friends are most likely in the hands of the monster that did this to us.
Ash couldn?t take much more so he ran to the door and as he turned the doorknob Lucerian said out loud.
Lucerian: And where are you going?
Ash: Find my friends.
Lucerian: How? If you don?t mind my asking.
Ash froze at the question, Lucerian was right, he didn?t even know the city or where to start looking, he didn?t even have his Pok?mon with him to help him, not even Pikachu was there as he?d always been. He was all alone, with nowhere to run or hide and with this new reality, if you could call it that, facing him he had no choice but to remain there and try to cope with them.

Pidgeot500

Homeless
Years
Awesome story, Shadow! It's a bit fast-paced for me, but every word is gripping. It's great that you've taken the time to use both direct and indirect characterization--I can never achieve a balance like that in my writing, it's always too little or too much. I await your next installment!

One bit of advice: you might consider breaking up some of the longer segments into paragraphs. It's true that most reader are more likely to keep read the whole story if it's in paragraph form, and with relatively small paragraphs (two to five lines, best); it's the 21st century, and our attention spans are shorter than ever, I'm sorry to say. Also (just an observation), I'd say that expanding the script-style speaking (e.g. Person: This is a what I'm saying) might work well--maybe type it in that way and see how it looks to you.

....I really enjoyed reading this; seems like you've got a lot of ideas that are eagerly awating literary realization! :D

Back