• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

my PC is being a moron! >_<

Rated R Superstar?

Rated "R" Superstar
Years
  • Ooooook,i'm back w/e...my PC has some probs,downloads, MP3s,Roms,etc and those Pop-ups!!! Ad destroyer or Virtual Bouncer,etc,they keep coming!!! so now my PC's been fixed for the...10th time? and we got it in June 04!!! we had to get a new modem,new hardware,etc,i fixed my PC this time,so uh,i need to know what i should get to keep my PC safe,pop up free,and get my AOL back!!! >_<

-tIm-

Suz

Ta-daaa~!
    Years
  • mine too, It's being really slow...
    I'm sorry that I can't help though...

DragonTrainer

Shiver me timbers!
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Mar 8, 2012
    Uh, your PC sounds messed up, I say use the recovery disk that came witht he computer, it'll rid of everything, then again, you'll have to reinstall everything again ^_^;;, but it works really well, I've done it a couple of times =P

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • Um... okay. @_@ If you're confused, Suz, maybe you should try reading the FAQ or browsing around Community Questions and Feedback. Otherwise, just ask around and people should be happy to help you get settled here. ^_^;

Also, read the stickied thread at the top of this forum (link). It's got a few tips you can follow. For the rest, I'd suggest making sure you've got a good virus scanning software. =x

dumbthingy

General Protection Fault
    Years
  • If you need a browser which is less vulnerable to ActiveX, pop-ups and other stuff, use Mozilla Firefox.

However, if you desperately want to stick to IE, use Google Toolbar (no other search toolbars!!), it has an integrated pop-up blocker. Also, you should revise settings for the Internet Zone (turn off everything ActiveX related). It will break Flash and other compatibility, but that's worth the security.

Spyware and adware (like GAIN and the gay frog in the system tray) can be removed by various applications like Spybot Search & Destroy or Lavasoft Ad-Aware.

Applications which hide in your Startup folders might slow down the startup of your comp. You can remove them with any application like StartControl or just go start - Run and enter [msconfig] into the Run edit box.

Internet Explorer ActiveX controls might spy your surfing behavior. Go to C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\ and delete everything which seems suspicious to you (except of Shockwave Flash, Google Toolbar or Windows Update Class).

And, finally, you should install a virus scanner (which you should NOT download from Kazaa, eMule or other stuff because those p2ped virus scanners often contain virii by themselves). A firewall like Agnitum Outpost Free can help protecting your system.

If you follow all those suggestions, your comp will be partly "back". However, better watch next time, don't install any useless apps (each and every apps leaves traces) and configure Internet Explorer to be secure.

Still have any questions? PM me...

dumbthingy
    Inofficial Security Consultant :rambo:

Brittany

Back?
    Years
  • dumbthingy said:
    If you need a browser which is less vulnerable to ActiveX, pop-ups and other stuff, use Mozilla Firefox.

However, if you desperately want to stick to IE, use Google Toolbar (no other search toolbars!!), it has an integrated pop-up blocker. Also, you should revise settings for the Internet Zone (turn off everything ActiveX related). It will break Flash and other compatibility, but that's worth the security.

Spyware and adware (like GAIN and the gay frog in the system tray) can be removed by various applications like Spybot Search & Destroy or Lavasoft Ad-Aware.

Applications which hide in your Startup folders might slow down the startup of your comp. You can remove them with any application like StartControl or just go start - Run and enter [msconfig] into the Run edit box.

Internet Explorer ActiveX controls might spy your surfing behavior. Go to C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\ and delete everything which seems suspicious to you (except of Shockwave Flash, Google Toolbar or Windows Update Class).

And, finally, you should install a virus scanner (which you should NOT download from Kazaa, eMule or other stuff because those p2ped virus scanners often contain virii by themselves). A firewall like Agnitum Outpost Free can help protecting your system.

If you follow all those suggestions, your comp will be partly "back". However, better watch next time, don't install any useless apps (each and every apps leaves traces) and configure Internet Explorer to be secure.

Still have any questions? PM me...

dumbthingy
    Inofficial Security Consultant :rambo:
    Didn't need to make a long post XD

Anyway, back to the problem.
    First of all, do you have some kind of Antivirus or Firewall?
    Secondly, get Spybot or Ad-aware
    Thirdly, don't ever click on a popup again! EVER! XD

And I don't get your problem with 'mp3s, roms, etc'
    What exactly is the problem with that?

Rated R Superstar?

Rated "R" Superstar
    Years
  • no,my pc was reconfixed(meaning NOTHING is in it but Windows XP) so,i just got a firewall,now to kill the pop-ups! >_<

oh the mp3s and roms screwed up my pc and made it slower,so i'm just gonna get some mp3s...>_>...

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • ...o_O If you had major problems with your MP3's and ROMs before, is it really a good idea to go get all of them back? Just be careful with what you're downloading, alright? ^_^; I may not be the most computer literate person here (so it's scary for me to mod this forum specifically, lol), but I do know there are a lot of malicious sites out there and you have to be pretty sceptical of what you're putting on your computer. =x

Anarchytekt

Techlord
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Aug 16, 2006
    I really don't think I should be answering this, but since I just fixed the same problems he faced in my computer....
    Firefox has a built-in pop-up blocker. And a firewall cum Anti-virus can also be helpful.
    Norton Internet Security 2005 is a good one. You have to purchase it but you can get a trial version too for 15 days with all the features. Google Search for Norton Internet Security 2005 trial and you'll get a trial version.
    But a firewall like Armor2net, it isn't free but is more like Winzip. It'll prompt you to buy, that's all. It won't shut down after a certain period or anything...You can try that too.

Anarchytekt

Techlord
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Aug 16, 2006
    Err...you talk like you belong to the Society for Equal Rights to the Personal Computer or smthn. A PC isn't a living thing...cant we even say smthn bad about non-living things?:S
    And sometimes, the user isn't at fault for the PC misbehaving. I didn't do anythin to my PC. It just hung!

perthskies

Nostalgic
    Years
  • Meh, don't mind me... I've just been viewing too much sci-fi to do with computers becoming self-aware... XD

All I can suggest is just the usual, updated Anti-virus software, firewall, and spyware removal software. Also install Spy-Bot, Search and Destroy. It has an immunise feature that helps prevent spyware from getting on in the first place from some sites.

TSS_Killer

The (6) Train BCCS Owner
    Years
  • Ok,here's what I would do after I install winbloz(I know,I'm a Linux person and I'm not too fond of Microsoft).

1. Sygate Firewall: protects your comp from DoS(Denial of Service) attacks,and also prevents any trojan to leak onto your system. http://smb.sygate.com/products/spf_standard.htm

2. Spybot S&D: of course removes spyware from your comp. http://safer-networking.org/en/index.html

3. Mozilla Firefox: Yep,the ol reliable fast browser,no url needed,b/c everyone knows it

4. AVG Free Antivirus: free anti-virus tool that doesn't clutter your system like Norton or McAfee. http://grisoft.com

5. In windows xp services: TURN OFF Messenger,Indexing Service,and In Control Panel's System setting,turn off System Restore....trust me,I freed 1 gig of space doing that.

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • TSS_Killer said:
    Ok,here's what I would do after I install winbloz(I know,I'm a Linux person and I'm not too fond of Microsoft).

1. Sygate Firewall: protects your comp from DoS(Denial of Service) attacks,and also prevents any trojan to leak onto your system. http://smb.sygate.com/products/spf_standard.htm

2. Spybot S&D: of course removes spyware from your comp. http://safer-networking.org/en/index.html

3. Mozilla Firefox: Yep,the ol reliable fast browser,no url needed,b/c everyone knows it

4. AVG Free Antivirus: free anti-virus tool that doesn't clutter your system like Norton or McAfee. http://grisoft.com

5. In windows xp services: TURN OFF Messenger,Indexing Service,and In Control Panel's System setting,turn off System Restore....trust me,I freed 1 gig of space doing that.
    ARE YOU CRAZY?!?!?! What ever you do DONT turn off system restore EVER that way, you can reover from a crash or faulty software quicker,it is worth the 1Gb it takes to have system restore also you can delete system restore backups that are more than 3 months old.

Last edited:
    Back