• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

We Don't Know How it Got There, But...

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    235px-SugimoriEggs.png
    Egg_Gen_II.png

Breeding: An Analysis

So let's take a close look at the concept of breeding in Pokémon. In the anime, they focus on the raising of Pokémon as what being a "breeder" is, and this is partially true, even in real life. From my family breeding cats for a few years, there is a great deal of breeding that involves the raising and taking care of animals in real life, but there is also the actual breeding concept. Often, in Pokémon, people laugh at the concept of breeding - Wailord and Skitty breeding, etc. But when you think about it, all the signs point to that being unimportant to breeding.

Most people liken Pokémon breeding to animal breeding in real life, all that crude stuff that you wouldn't get into in mixed company. However, when you think of the way the Pokémon breed, you would realize that there are far too many similarities. Every Pokémon has an egg. Every egg hatches into a Pokémon that seems to not need anything from their mother, at least in the games. I believe it's different in the anime, but not by much because it's not like they mentioned nursing or anything like that. Togepi didn't die because it couldn't nurse from a mom, etc. This implies that no matter the egg group, every Pokémon breeds the same way. This goes from an ancient Relicanth to a Chansey to a Cherrim to a Reuniclus. But what in the world does every Pokémon share?

Their energy.

I know it sounds a little strange, but think of it. Even the most basic Rattata can learn moves like Thunder and Shadow Ball. The only reason they can learn that is because all Pokémon have a basic energy, a life-force that's not quite like humans or like normal animals. In the end, every single Pokémon has the most basic energy of a Pokémon, and while others have more energy (to use special moves such as Psychic), even a Pokémon that can't learn a single Psychic move still has this energy. When you think about it, it makes literally no sense to think that Pokémon breed like animals; there's nothing backing up that theory, and Pokémon usually are nothing like you would expect from animals.

This also explains the eggs. Normally mammalian Pokémon, like mammalian animals, would be expected to have babies not in eggs. However, cat and dog Pokémon still come out of eggs. This leads me to believe that the egg doesn't actually come out of the Pokémon at all; it wouldn't be a stretch to assume that it was created by the Pokémon's energy mixing.

What this doesn't explain, however, is why legendaries can't breed. In-game, the reason is obvious - the game doesn't want you to pump out legendaries. But could there be some reasonable theoretical explanation, based on my theory that eggs are created by energy? Certainly legendaries would have this most basic energy, that even a Rattata has, right?

This leads to the belief that a legendary has an energy similar to a noble gas, that only very, very rarely reacts with another. Obviously legendaries can breed canonically, there have been eggs of multiple legendaries. But it's so rare and under such particular conditions that a daycare with a mini pool and a fence isn't enough to convince a legendary to breed. They are the pandas of the Pokémon world; they know that their species is important, revered, and will be attacked, especially a nearly defenseless infant, for capture. Therefore, they need private, comfort, knowledge that the child will be defended, etc. for breeding purposes.

So...let's hear it. Tell me the flaws in my theory, or if it convinced you, because I'm sure convinced of this. :3;

Nephilim

Resounding Sounds.
    Years
    • Seen Aug 28, 2012
    When it comes to the aspect of breeding, I never really thought much of it. Then again, it's reasonable, as I bred like every single Pokemon with Ditto, so this gives me reason enough not to think much of it, right?

Though your analysis gives a much deeper thought and perspective on it, and looks at things from a totally different angle. I do have an interesting theory surrounding why legendaries cannot breed, however:

Their sheer power.

I suppose you can say this has some relation with their energy and whatnot, but think about it: In the anime, I guess it's somewhat possible, seeing as it isn't so much of a big deal/concern there and whatnot(then again, the anime's definition of a lot of things contrast quite strongly with that of the games for some reason, but thats not the point here), but in the games, I would think it's perceived as legendaries being far too strong in order to even produce their own children. I mean, it's not everyday you see baby mewtwos and mews going about like they're just as common as your average wild pokemon, right?

I dunno, but that's honestly just me. Your theory does make sense kinda, but I would like to believe it's more or less their power than anything. .___.

EDIT: I believe it's this, and the fact that legendaries are supposed to be rare. Thinking about this on a more realistic scale(pokemon = real life what?), if you were to technically breed a legendary, or of legendaries themselves would be breedable, that wouldn't make them as rare anymore, right? Rarity and power is what keeps these Pokemon in their "legendary" state, at least, I figure. :(

Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2014
    Okay really what is wrong with you and these pokemon undercurrents?I mean you posted a real pokemon undercurrent previously and now you are looking into how breeding is done?I mean,wake up they can't be real.

But anyway,you are really great at these things!And yes I am convinced! And also,you must either have a crazy imagination(even movie directors don't come up with things like these) or you are Ash.

EDIT: WOW Nephilim!!! A girl in the internet lol :p

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Okay really what is wrong with you and these pokemon undercurrents?I mean you posted a real pokemon undercurrent previously and now you are looking into how breeding is done?I mean,wake up they can't be real.

But anyway,you are really great at these things!And yes I am convinced! And also,you must either have a crazy imagination(even movie directors don't come up with things like these) or you are Ash.

EDIT: WOW Nephilim!!! A girl in the internet lol :p

I didn't post the Pokemon undercurrent. In fact, even the person who posted it didn't think of it themselves, it's a very common theory online.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
    Years
  • Hm, in this case, what about Ditto? Is it like a "universal energy" pokemon? Cause the theory does sound...sound; I just wanna hear your opinion. :B

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    Hm, in this case, what about Ditto? Is it like a "universal energy" pokemon? Cause the theory does sound...sound; I just wanna hear your opinion. :B
    Well, if we're going by Toujours' theory, that each Pokémon's energy is mixed, to create an egg. Then couldn't Ditto just transform into the other Pokémon and transmit the same kind of energy? I don't think I know what i'm talking about, but it makes sense, I think.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Yeah, that's what I would say. I mean, when he transforms, he doesn't just take on the appearance of the Pokemon, like Zorua; he takes on the moveset and stats of the other Pokemon. It would make total sense if Ditto has the unique ability to read the energy of Pokemon and imitate it. x3 Which also explains why, although they can change forms, Zorua and Zoroark can't breed indiscriminately; they only imitate the form of another Pokemon, not their energy since they retain their stats and moveset.

Years
  • Where does the physical material of the egg come from? Does it start out really small and then somehow grow unlike actual eggs? They're pretty sizable as I recall and it seems a little strange to think that they appear full sized out of thin air.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Where does the physical material of the egg come from? Does it start out really small and then somehow grow unlike actual eggs? They're pretty sizable as I recall and it seems a little strange to think that they appear full sized out of thin air.

I would say it's just about as strange as being able to conjure a sandstorm from nothing, especially for Pokemon like Absol, Bronzor, Lickilicky, etc., with no connection to a Ground/Rock type. There are lots of moves that Pokemon use that create something out of mid-air, often some kind of element but not always. If they grew they would probably be noticed before the time that they are noticed, so...I would claim that the energy of the Pokemon can create the egg.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
  • I just don't understand that certain Pokemon when they come out of their eggs are the same size as a fully grown (lets say a fully grown Sandile). Wouldn't it make sense for them to start off small? They came out of the egg and most of the time, they are much larger than the egg?How can that make sense.

:t354:TG

Spikey-Eared Pichu

Pichu-pi!
    Years
  • Well, if you want to go with the energy theory, this is what I think:

The egg itself is incubating the energy released by both parents. When the egg is hatched, that energy creates a baby of the mother parent. If the mother is a single-stage Pokemon, than that's how the energy composes itself.

In the case of "Incense-bred" babies, the incense merges with the parents' energy and creates the baby Pokemon. Without the incense, the baby is simply the mother's species.

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    I just don't understand that certain Pokemon when they come out of their eggs are the same size as a fully grown (lets say a fully grown Sandile). Wouldn't it make sense for them to start off small? They came out of the egg and most of the time, they are much larger than the egg?How can that make sense.

:t354:TG

The egg may work similarly to a Pokéball, which compresses the Pokémon into a small space. The energy caused by breeding can probably achieve.

The egg group of legendaries is marked as "Undiscovered". Theoretically, the reason for egg groups is for grouping the compatibility of energy. Most likely, the reason that legendaries can not breed is that their energy is so powerful that it repels the energy of all other Pokémon, and that there is a match in a certain item for its energy, which explains why certain items can make certain Pokémon more powerful. The Pokémon breeds with itself, and makes it more powerful through this collision of energy. Additionally, this collision is not possible through a Pokémon, and tese items work on different Pokémon simply because of the energy that is possible through Pokémon types. This is why the match is undiscovered through Pokémon.

Back