• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

31 Elite Special Forces ops killed in largest loss of life in Afghan War

Years
  • http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-14430735

Seven Afghan commandos and a civilian interpreter were also on the Chinook, officials say.

US sources say the special forces were from the Navy Seal unit which killed Osama Bin Laden, but are "unlikely" to be the same personnel.

This is the largest single US loss of life in the Afghan conflict.

The numbers of those killed have now been confirmed by the Nato-led mission in Afghanistan.

The Chinook went down in the early hours of Saturday in Wardak province, said a statement from President Hamid Karzai's office.

It was returning from an operation against the Taliban in which eight insurgents are believed to have been killed.

A senior official of President Barack Obama's administration said the helicopter was apparently shot down, Associated Press news agency reports.

An official with the Nato-led coalition in Afghanistan told the New York Times the helicopter was hit by a rocket-propelled grenade.

The BBC's Quentin Sommerville in Kabul says it is rare for the Taliban to shoot down aircraft.

The Taliban say they have modified their rocket-propelled grenades to improve their accuracy but that may not be true, our correspondent says

The ops killed in the attack were from Seal Team 6, the same unit that killed Osama Bin laden back in May of 2011. This is the largest single loss of life in the entire Afghan war.

Methinks it's time for this all to end. We can no longer afford this war, from the human cost to the recent financial downturn of recent days.

Thoughts? Could this be the catalyst for the total withdrawal for the end of the war?

Discuss.

Black Ice

[XV]
    Years
    • Seen Oct 4, 2023
    This is sad. It's not the same 31 involved in the actual bin Laden mission, but these guys were full of talent. So much time spent working on themselves just for their lives to be cut short like this. 31 families and countless friends will be affected by this loss.

Obama (or maybe even the next president) will probably not withdraw troops from Afghanistan until our job is finished, whatever that job is. This is one part of our war, and Iraq was the other part. We're already moving out of Iraq. We really do need to start taking care of ourselves before wasting our resources, though. I'm hoping we'll be out of the middle east in less than half a decade.

Years
  • Lime_Wire, I agree with getting our men and women out of that god forsaken terrorist haven. Afghanistan and Pakistan are nothing but terrorists havens that allow those groups to use the aid money WE gave them against our men and women. The fact that the dead are a part of the team that killed bin Laden is another blow to our already weakened confidence in this war of attrition.

I honestly have a lot of opinions about the whole "war", but I'm going to bite my tongue. I will say that Afghanistan and Pakistan will not play ball with us, so I say we leave them in the mess they are creating for themselves and get out troops out of there.

Back