• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Prize

Geometric-sama

The Manly Man of Steel
Years
The Prize
by Jedi_Amara

Author's Note: I was bored, so I decided to try to prove that a one-shot doesn't have to be 1400 words. :P @ that evil ex-pair again XD. If this turns out really weird, blame it on the fact that I was listening to Australian punk music while writing it. Something With Numbers is pure brilliance. Oh yeah, and the fact that I wrote it in half an hour while waiting for my little brother to log on.

Whirling, swishing, turning, wishing; dryad, nymph, spirit, wisp; everything is here tonight, and it all suddenly feels right...

The dancer pirouettes, skirt swirling around her, a form shrouded in grace. There is an audience, but she does not see it; her mind blocks out all ambient sound. For her, there is only the music, and herself.

Here an arabesque, there a twirl; no longer does she dance to the music - instead, the music plays her...

Here she turns, closes her eyes; she leans into the stage, allows the music to take her, lets it swallow her. Soft harmonies intertwine, the sounds of woodwind mixing with strings. She feels, more than hears, what is next to come.

A sudden discord sounds. The dancer is not jolted; instead, a faint smile touches her lips, and she moves quickly into a grand jet?, almost floating from one side to the other. Perhaps she does float - it's hard to tell.

No one knows what passes through the mind of a dancer at the height of a leap - a prayer? Elation? Does the dancer reach out through her mind and lift herself from the ground, using only the power of thought? This dancer could - but there is no telltale blue glow; no way to know.

And now it winds down; she still turns, but there is a difference now. No loss of concentration, but a lessening of pressure, maybe. A reduction of something intangible, impalpable, imaginary.

She slows, and finally stops, lifting her head to look out - not at the audience, but at something beyond it. There is a sense of power, of something too great to envisage. The feeling passes as quickly as it came.

The final curtsy; she turns gently and walks - no, glides - into the wings, to meet the other who stands there, watching, entranced.

The master of ceremonies stands at the lectern.
"And that was Entrant No. 17, Ashara's Kirlia, in the 14th Annual Pok?mon Talent Quest," he says, but she does not hear him, still lost in the emotions of the dance.

The softest whisper cuts the unrecognised applause, dancing on the breeze: let's go. The dancer follows the other out; it's no longer the prize that matters, but the dance.

Lily

◕ ‿‿ ◕ double rainbow.
Years
This was excellent. oO; (of course one shots don't have to be 1400 all the time, just as it carries its meaning and poitn across, I think it's fine)

Your descriptions were beautiful. :O~ I love how you portrayed the Kirlia/dancer's movements so gracefully. I just...really liked reading the flow of the whole story. Very in depth and just lovely. You should write more Pokemon one shots! I would love to read them. X3

Keep it up! I'm just stunned at the descriptions; lovely. ^^;

Mari

♠ [child] p r o d i g y
Years
Waii! This ish so kawaii! <3
~The descriptions are flawless; I had a clear picture of Kirlia's dance, it was so enchanting! =3 It's amazing how much you can do in a short one-shot.

Lileh-chan's right; you should make more one-shorts. ~All of them are lovely, I'm sure.

Strawberry Delcatty

Neko daisuki-na no nya!
Years
Jedi_Amara said:
AAAARGH! I was supposed to get BAD reviews!
Now how the heck can you get bad reviews with stuff like THAT?! Even if it is short (felt like a Di Gi Charat episode in terms of length), hating stuff like this is like trying to type with the computer off.

The Kirlia's dance... beautiful. I don't know how to say it in any other way.

TO THE MODS: Make this girl's story fan fic of the week if you haven't done it already!

Dragonfree

Teh Spwriter. :3
Years
Hmm... it's very nicely written and worded, but somehow it doesn't really appeal to me...

*scans head for a possible reason* Oh, yeah... nobody died and no signs of violence, crime or any dark themes. It's just not my type. Although I do agree with you that one-shots don't need to be 1400 words; I've seen one that was six lines, and it was great.

Still... *envies from a corner* WHY does everybody who writes one-shots except me get a ton of replies? :/ My one-shots get like two replies...

Lily

◕ ‿‿ ◕ double rainbow.
Years
Definitely fanfic of the week. =D;

Dragonfree- they're all good, just .. on several occasions no reviews are present? Happened to me too a lot...

Geometric-sama

The Manly Man of Steel
Years
o_O Please tell me how I managed to get fanfic of the week. I only wrote this one because my younger brother dared me to write something really bad and post it on PC.

Strawberry Delcatty

Neko daisuki-na no nya!
Years
Jedi_Amara said:
o_O Please tell me how I managed to get fanfic of the week. I only wrote this one because my younger brother dared me to write something really bad and post it on PC.
Uh...well...

It was so well-written. That, and maybe to make your brother sick to his stomach? :P

Lily

◕ ‿‿ ◕ double rainbow.
Years
Jedi- it was incredible. Your descriptions/details stunned me to no end. *-*

Miyu-chan

.::f l o w e r g i r l::.
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Apr 23, 2014
Wow, when I was first reading it, I was like, "why would this be a Pokemon story?" xD; It's just.. wow. You paint with words. =3

Back