• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Internet Connection Problems

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
Years
  • I'm having trouble with my dialup (don't say anything... XP) internet connection. It works fine on my laptop (which I'm on now, with it's 28K modem...-_-) and my parents' computer. But on my computer it dials and establishes a connection, but won't let me view any sites. It says "Looking for http://www.-insertsitenamehere-.com", then pops up an error message after a few seconds that the site could not be found. It does this with all sites, and in both Firefox and IE. I also can't log into my FTP client or MSN. Is there anything I can do to fix it?
    Thanks! :)

Shining Arcanine

Senior Super Moderator
    Years
  • Well for one thing you can reformat Windows but that is a bit extreme. The most likely cause is that something is up with Winsock. I'm a bit fuzzy on how to resolve issues with Winsock (or verify that the issue is Winsock) so I suggest you run a google search for advice.

I hope that helps.

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
    Years
  • Thanks SA! Long time no see :D
    I'll try it after I wake up, because it's 1AM here and I'm lying in bed half-asleep while using my laptop. :P
    I noticed that after I cleared my cookies/cache, it worked for a little while, but it stopped again. And it's not a problem with the servers, because I called and all the servers are working right, plus it works fine on all the other comps. I'll check out that Winsock thing though.

Shining Arcanine

Senior Super Moderator
    Years
  • If it works for a little bit it probably isn't Winsock. Try increasing the amount of cache IE has to 80MB.

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    What ISP do you use?

I have earthlink, and sometimes it "Signs On" but really isn't connected. I just restart the computer =/

PsYcHo_LuGiA

Swordchucks, yo!
    Years
  • Perhaps it is the wires of your dial-up? When I had dial-up, sometimes the wires would jiggle out and cause me not to able to view any websites even though it said I was online. I'd suggest checking all your internet connection wires.

Anarchytekt

Techlord
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Aug 16, 2006
    If the wires come out the connection gets disconnected:confused:
    You have got any firewalls? Try disabling them. Especially if you have norton. And if you don't have a firewall, you should try one lol. Probably someone from the outside is....er....tampering with your connection by hacking into your PC???

Back