• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Translate a Pokemon's name into a new typing!

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
Years
  • It's a new game I invented!

Here's the thing. Similar to Gym Leaders, Pokemon have names which suit what they are and their typing, such as Gastly being made of gas and being ghastly, or spooky, or Grotle being a turtle and a garden grove together. But what if you were to translate these differently, so the Pokemon would become a totally new type and have new abilities and attributes? I want you to have a go at turning a Pokemon into something else, based purely on it's name and changing the meaning of it.

For example you have a Bulbasaur which is a dinosaur-like creature and has a bulb on it's back. By changing the meaning of it I could come up with Bulb which would deprive from a light bulb, turning Bulbasaur into an Electric type. Also me changing the spelling of "saur" and it's meaning could introduce a Buzz Saw with a light bulb on it, making it also a Steel type. Due to this it would also change the ability to Motor Drive or Hyper Cutter, and it would have a higher attack. It would also be able to learn some nice cutting moves as well as fire moves, because light bulbs can get quite hot.

Now you have a go at making one!

Ineffable~

DAT SNARKITUDE
    Years
  • Ahahahah . . . ahhh this is a good thread. xD

I'll start off with something simple. Dunsparce, since it has the word "dunce" in its name, becomes something of a parallel to the Slowpoke family and evolves into "Derpking" and "Dumbro".

. . . Okay I'm tired so everyone give me a break. D:

miltankRancher

Mega Ampharos is the one.
    Years
  • Let's try Miltank.

I am seeing Military somewhere over there, so I guess Miltanks a Figting-type. Plus the word tank which means the armored vehicle of destruction, I guess that makes Miltank a fighting-steel Pokemon.

Ineffable~

DAT SNARKITUDE
    Years
  • Let's mess around with Fearow's name.

The "fear" in Fearow makes it sound like it strikes fear in the hearts of everyone, so Ghost seems like a fitting type. Its Korean name apparently makes a reference to dokkaebi so I guess that fits. Not to mention the "oni" in its Japanese name means "demon".
    Also its numerous references to weapons and fighting (Japanese drill, German attack, French predatory) make me think of it as a fighter, so there you have it!
    GhostIC_Big.png
    /
    FightingIC_Big.png

luigimario84

Owner of worlds
    Years
  • Garchomp... well chomp is like the move Crunch and thats dark type. Then gar backwards is rag which reminds me of ghosts. So Garchomp is now Dark and Ghost type!

Ineffable~

DAT SNARKITUDE
    Years
  • Rayquaza.

Well, the "ray" makes me think of thunderbolts, so clearly that indicates an Electric typing. The "quaza" part sounds like "quasar" which comes from space so I'll go Psychic.
    2rrbera.png
    /
    v7w8ly.png

Garchomp... well chomp is like the move Crunch and thats dark type. Then gar backwards is rag which reminds me of ghosts. So Garchomp is now Dark and Ghost type!
    It also has Wonder Guard. *shot*

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • This is probably the only time I'm going to ever mention Pignite, but there's a first time for everything, I suppose. Anyhoo, the 'nite' part of Pignite is a homophone of 'night', implying darkness, implying a Dark typing. Pig doesn't really suggest anything apart from rolling around in the mud. As that isn't conducive to typing, I'll leave the already present Fire type and transform it from a Fire/Fighting to a Fire/Dark critter. That was fun! :D

Palladium

2012 FTW!
    Years
  • Well ... since Pignite was brought, I decided to mess with Samurott

Samurott - Off of the bat we encounter Samurai here, Samurai were warriors that fought to protect their country, wait a sec, fought? We can where's this going, can't we ? Water/Fighting ^_^
    Alternatively Water/Steel due to Samurai using many swords (made of iron and other metals)

Ciax

Ledian Used Starlight!
    Years
  • I'll do the cute little blue elephant, Phanpy
    Phan pronounced Fan could be Flying and the py could be from creepy, meaning ghosts.

Phanpy's new type is Flying/Ghost

Last edited:

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    Okay let me try, Caterpie for .. catering and pie? F-food typing okay no LOL wait.

Carvanha .. okay 'car' so it's a steel/water typing!

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
  • Hmmm lets see,

Cofagrigus:

Cofagrigus is a sarcophagus (I have no idea why it is classified as Coffin, huge difference here)

The Cof meaning "Coffin" and Gus the end of Sarcophagus

Wish I was able to develop it more lol

:t354:TG

Ciax

Ledian Used Starlight!
    Years
  • Hers another one

Grimer
    Grim could be for Grim Reaper making it ghost type
    Er can be from anything so lets make it from river. A grim reaper from the river making the new type

Ghost/Water

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    Hmmm lets see,

Cofagrigus:

Cofagrigus is a sarcophagus (I have no idea why it is classified as Coffin, huge difference here)

The Cof meaning "Coffin" and Gus the end of Sarcophagus

Wish I was able to develop it more lol

:t354:TG
    There's not much difference between a coffin and a sarcophagus, really. Both are used to lay the dead. Anyways, onto...

Litwick

Lit reminds me of litter meaning poison, since most Poison-types are like garbage or they're everywhere (like garbage lol). Wick can be a shorter term for wicked, which sort of means awesome and Dragon-types = awesome.

So Litwick, congratulations, you're now a Poison/Dragon Pokemon!

marcc5m

what
    Years
  • Trapinch.
    Trap makes me think of Magnet Pull, therefore electric type and pinch makes me think of crabs.
    Water/Electric.

miju-kun

soaring
    Years
    • Seen May 28, 2014
    I'm going to mess with Tentacool's name here :3

Tenta- stands for tentacles, which have stinging cells so it would be Electric but it could be poison too

-cool is obviously cool, which means water or ice would do.

That means..

ELECTRIC/POISON/WATER/ICE :D

Or Electric/Water or Ice and Poison/Water or Ice
    I'm getting confused now :x

Freddy Fazbear

You want the moon? I'll give you the moon.
    Years
  • Okay, I'll give this a shot...

Magmortar has mag in its name, which reminds me of magnets, so it's Electric. A mortar is a type of gun/cannon thing, right? So that makes it a Steel type.

So yeah, Magmortar is Electric/Steel.

eeveegirl777

Haha! I'm using the internets!
    Years
    • Seen Oct 14, 2015
    Okay, let's do this!

Machamp.

Machamp starts with Mach, which comes from Mach number, which is strongly related to aircraft.

Next is amp. Amp is a shortening of Ampere, which is an electric current measuring unit.

Enjoy your new Electric/Flying Machamp, fellas.

Truality

Left for good
    Years
    • Seen May 17, 2013
    Let's give it a try: Sewaddle

Sea, wad, paddle... so basically something that has to do with water, and rowing... with oakum? Could it be? A WATER/FIGHTING TYPE?

Years
  • Wailmer contains the word wail, which is a high pitched scream and that makes me think of ghosts. Wailmer also sort of contains the word ailment, which is a sickness, so poison seems like another possibility.

So... Wailmer, the Ghost/Poison Pokemon.

Back