• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen The Happiness Evolution Shortcut System!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antoshi

Imagination Station
Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Sep 11, 2023
Greetings, Trainers! Thank you for curiously stumbling upon this article. As a forewarning, anyone who doesn't like using shortcut methods to accomplish something in the game should promptly close this thread and perhaps go play with a Slinky. :D

Now, what do you think when Happiness Evolutions come to mind? Tedious? time-consuming? Even, aggravating? It's a shame the majority of Pokemon that evolve by happiness can't be caught with a Friend Ball. However, that doesn't matter, and you can scrap all your Friend Balls for your happiness evolution quest!

Let's take for example our good friend, Pichu. He's small, popular and terribly cute. However, he's very weak on the battlefield. So, what can YOU do about that? Well, I'm going to show you the simple process of evolving those difficult Pokemon! And it can all be done within an hour or less.

By the way, this link is one you'll need to refer to once you read on. So, keep it handy!
http://www.legendarypokemon.net/index.php?page=pass

Happiness Points -- The invisible enigma
HP (Which will be Happiness Points, not Hidden Power or Hit Points in this article) are the very core of happiness evolution.
"What are they?"
Happiness Points are a hidden value of your Pokemon, just like a Pokemon has values for Hit Points, Attack Power, Defense, Speed, etc.
"How does my Pokemon gain HP?"
Giving a Pokemon certain items, leveling them up, even walking with them in your party all increase your Pokemon's HP! More on that will be covered later.
"So, how do these Points tie in with evolution?"
An excellent question. Happiness Points are the very foundation of happiness evolution, and, for a Pokemon to evolve through happiness, they need a target number of Happiness Points. Despite what some may say, the target number of Happiness Points a Pokemon needs to reach evolution is 220. Let's take a look at this quick chart.

Happiness values​
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Pokemon is captured with Friend Ball | Starts at 200 |
| Pokemon is captured with any other Ball | Starts at 70 |
| Pokemon is hatched from an egg | Starts at 120 |
| Pokemon is traded | Resets to 70 |
| Amount of happiness needed for Evolution | 220 |
So, as you can see, unless you catch the Pokemon with a Friend Ball, you'll have to have your Pokemon gain 150 Happiness Points after you get it in order for it to evolve through Happiness. Now, let's get into the specifics of gaining Happiness Points.

Actions that affect Happiness​
| Every 512 steps you take with Pokemon in party | +1 |
| Stat-up item used on the Pokemon | +2 |
| Pokemon gains a level | +3 or +5 |
| Hair cut by younger haircut brother (300) | randomly +1, +3 or +10 |
| Hair cut by older haircut brother (500) | randomly +1, +3 or +5 |
| Daisy (Nanami) grooms the Pokemon | +3 (can be done twice a day) |
| Pokemon faints | -1 |
| Heal Powder used on the Pokemon | -5 |
| Enegy Powder used on the Pokemon | -5 |
| Energy Root used on the Pokemon | -10 |
| Revival Herb used on the Pokemon | -15 |

Also, just for reference, here's a short lists of actions that were rumored to affect happiness, but have been proved wrong.

| Pokemon is given an item to hold | +0 |
| Walking while Pokemon holds an item | +0 |
| Pokemon wins a battle | +0 |
| Pokemon wins a trainer battle | +0 |
| Pokemon wins a gym trainer battle | +0 |
| Pokemon wins a gym leader battle | +0 |
| Pokemon falls to critical HP (not fainting) | -0 |
| Storing the Pokemon on the PC | -0 |
| Walking without Pokemon in party | -0 |
| Pokemon gets affected by Poison | -0 |
| Walking while Pokemon is affected by Poison | -0 |

As I said before, there are several ways to increase your Pokemon's happiness, and they're all very simple. The "Stat-up" items spoken of on the list are the items that increase your Pokemon's stats. Carbos, Protein, Iron, Zinc and HP Up are such items. Goldenrod's Underground has two Haircut Brother's. They do more than just make your Pokemon look spiffy, they also increase the Pokemon's happiness points! Daisy is Gary(Blue in Gameplay)'s sister. She lives in the house above Professor Oak's Lab in Pallet Town. More on her later. We'll also be visiting her to make the "Easy Evolution" work.

Turning back the clock...
Included in the Pokemon Gold and Silver cartridges, was the ability to edit the clock's time in case it got TOO off-track. While this was a good idea, it was bound to be exploited. And, I have! Pressing DOWN + SELECT + B at the main title screen will take you to another screen that asks you if you want to reset the clock. This is where the beginning of this "trick" happens. So, using the link I gave you earlier, enter your information on the webpage and it'll generate the password for your game pak.

Now, I don't know if Nintendo intended for this to happen, BUT, whenever you successfully enter the password and reset the game's clock, all daily actions that you've done already will reset. If you don't know what I mean just yet, read on.

How It All Works!!
Each say you can visit the Haircut Brothers once a day. When you get a haircut from them, they don't allow you another haircut in the same day. However, when you reset the game's clock, you can go back into gameplay and have them give your Pokemon another haircut. See where this is going? By (ab)using the game's clock fix, you can continue giving your Pokemon infinite haircuts in the same day! However, the only thing the clock does not change back is the money spent for the haircuts, so you could end up paying a very large amount of money to get your Pokemon groomed over and over from the Haircut Brothers. So, your other choice would be to go to Daisy's house. She grooms your Pokemon twice a day, for free, and gives 3 Happiness Points each time she does.

Now then, you're going to need a pen and paper (or Word/Notepad,etc) and/or a calculator to keep track of your Pokemon's Happiness Points. What you'll need to do is go to Pallet Town, save there. Then, reset the game and reset the clock to any time between 3 PM and 4 PM of any day. When you resume your game, walk into Daisy's house and talk to her, and she'll offer to groom any of your Pokemon, and remember, you can do this twice. Then, once she's done, save your game, reset, enter the password and reset the clock to any time between 3 PM and 4 PM again. Now, remember that every time Daisy grooms your Pokemon, it gains 3 HP. So add 3 to your total points each time, using your paper or computer. Once you've gotten at least close to 220 points, you can leave her house and find yourself a battle. Every time a Pokemon levels up, it gains 3 or 5 HP, so once you've gotten it past 220 HP and it gets its level-up, it will evolve into its happiness evolution!

Making use of a "useless" option
So, after you're done using this system, you may be thinking, "What else can I do with this clock trick?" Well, here's a few things to take advantage of.

- The Lucky Number Show. Every time you change the date to Friday, the Lucky Number will change, so you can enter it with all different ID numbers infinite times every day.
- The Viridian Trainer House. As I said before, when you reset the clock, you reset the daily happenings. The same can be said for the trainer house in Viridian City, so you can battle infinite times a day.
- Pokemon Stadium 2. Taking advantage of free stuff is always nice. So, reset the clock to the next day (For example, if you have it set to Monday, change it to Tuesday) and talk to the girl in the Mystery Gift option at the main screen. Now you can get a whole bunch of items and maybe even decorations every day!

If you have any other tricks using the clock fix that you'd like to share, go ahead and post them here.

Final words
Okay, so in the end, this is just another trick to cut corners, and may make some people angry, but if that's the case, then don't bother using this system! And, for those who are wondering, this system is not a glitch and will not mess up your game, Pokemon, record, money or anything else. This is a legal trick using Nintendo's clock fix and is therefore not harmful to your game pak in any way. Just thought I'd clear that up. For now, that's it on the Happiness Points Shortcut System. I'm Antoshi, and I enjoy cheese. :D

Last edited:
Years
Interesting... Btw, there was a item called Sooth Bell or something... I heard it have something to do with the Happiness...

Antoshi

Imagination Station
Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Sep 11, 2023
Yes, the Soothe Bell would help with evolving Pokemon by happiness. Unfortunately, it's only in Ruby/Sapphire, and can't be obtained in Gold/Silver.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen May 10, 2005
All I've ever had to do for Happiness evolutions is feed the Pokemon 10 each of protein iron carbos and calcium. As soon as the pokemon levels up, it evolves. Difficult to afford? Use Thief and Payday in every battle possible. (Thief against Paras usually = Large Mushroom which sells high)

Antoshi

Imagination Station
Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Sep 11, 2023
Still, the thing with that is you would spend loads of money, and wouldn't get very far if you're focused on just evolving your Pokemon, since it only gains 2 HP from a Stat-Up item (Protein, Carbos, etc). Those HP gained from a Stat-Up item are more of a useful side-effect rather than something exploitable.

Antoshi

Imagination Station
Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Sep 11, 2023
Hey, I'm glad the system worked for you. :D You said Eevee's, so I assume you evolved 2 of them?

Antoshi

Imagination Station
Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Sep 11, 2023
No, Happiness Points are their own rating system and have nothing to do with Attack, Defense, Accuracy or anything else. :D

Years
  • Seen Jul 22, 2012
Yeah, i got a Flareon with Firestone instead of happiness! Thanks though.

Antoshi

Imagination Station
Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Sep 11, 2023
Hey, I'm glad I could help. :D Using this trick to get the rare Eon's is a great part of it. I still love my Espeon, even if I can't get to it right now. :P

Antoshi

Imagination Station
Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Sep 11, 2023
That's great! Have you given thought about Blissey? Who knows what you can do with that tank! :D

LanceLite

~Clone of a Max!
Years
hey no... i havent thought about blissey..... YAY IM GONNA GET A BLISSEY!!! FOR THE FIRST TIME IN MY LIFE!!!!!! i never had a blissey..... wow.... WOWW.... and i got crobat too....

crobat, esp/umbr-eons, blissey, what are the other good friendshippers?

Antoshi

Imagination Station
Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Sep 11, 2023
Well, I guess there really aren't any others... Unless you like Togetic.

Antoshi

Imagination Station
Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Sep 11, 2023
traffic-mgmt-bump.jpg

LanceLite

~Clone of a Max!
Years
Antoshi you are under arrest for surfing at speed of 256mph to the 15mph restriction. Spam bump message has been accepted and has been reported.

Warning has been given. Refrain from doing this again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back