• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Rate my Doubles Team

Years
    • Seen Mar 30, 2014
    So there is that wifi-doubles tournament coming up, and I have created this team plan for fun. Sorry about the lack of pictures.

Togekiss (F) @Lum Berry
    Ability: Serene Grace
    EV: 252 HP 36, Spa Atk, 220 Speed
    Nature: Calm
    Moves:
    Heal Bell
    Aura Sphere
    Air Slash
    Wish

She is my main support pokemon with the ability to both heal and cure status ailments for the other members of my team. On top of this she has good type coverage with air slash and aura sphere.

Dragonite (M) @Leftovers
    Ability: Multi Scale
    EV: 56 Atk, 252 Spa Atk, 200 Speed
    Nature: Lonely
    Moves:
    Roost
    Flamethrower
    Draco Meteor
    Earthquake
    He is my main power house, who I plan on sending out with Togekiss, but for fear of fake out I may shuffle this. Yache Berry and Multi Scale is so there is no chance of him being OHKO by an ice beam. Roost is to heal and also decrease his ice weakness to 2x, he has decent coverage with his three attacking moves and comes across as a mixed attacker so he has something to fall back on after a draco meteor.

Sceptile (M) @Liechi Berry
    Ability: Overgrowth
    EV: 252 Atk, 252 Speed
    Nature: Jolly
    Moves:
    Substitute
    Drain Punch/Thunder Punch/X-Scissor
    Leaf Blade
    Synthesis
    He is for coverage for bulky waters as well as ground types, which lacks in the rest of my team, and it throws a curve ball with him being a physical attacker. With overgrowth and a Liechi Berry, with the protection as well as health cut from substitute kicking those in, it makes his two physical attacks quite potent, then synthesis allows him to heal if necessary.

Ninetales (F) @Life Orb
    Ability: Drought
    EV: 72 HP, 216 Spa Atk, 220 Speed
    Nature: Timid
    Moves:
    Nasty Plot
    Solar Beam
    Flamethrower
    HP Fighting
    Ninetales works as my weather counter, because those seem to be quite prevalent in doubles. The EV spreed makes her a little bulkier, hopefully just enough. Nasty Plot would power up her moves as well as drought making solar beam more useful and flamethrower stronger.

Toxicroak? (M) @Black Belt or
    Ability: Dry Skin
    EV: 252 Atk, 252 Speed, 4 HP
    Nature: Adamant
    Moves:
    Earthquake
    Drain Punch
    Sucker Punch
    Swords Dance

or

Gallade (M) @Black Belt
    Ability: Steadfast
    EV: 252 Atk, 252 Spd
    Nature: Jolly
    Moves:
    Psycho Cut
    Close Combat
    Stone Edge
    Earthquake/Night Slash/Swords Dance

I feel that this Pokemon could have potential but with the addition of Sceptile to my team, and the fact that he clashes with my Ninetales, I feel he is more of a burden than an asset, so I intend to replace him with a Gallade. He is powerful and has the potential to boost himself then deal huge damage with his moves and the Life Orb.

Gardevoir? (F) @Wide Lens
    Ability: Telepathy
    EV: 252 HP, 252 Speed, 4 Def
    Nature: Calm
    Moves:
    Psychic
    Will-o-Wisp
    Wish
    Protect

She can stall quite well after she burns the enemy with wish and protect on alternating turns, plus telepathy makes her immune to any moves like earthquake and surf. The EV spread makes her bulkier as well, so hopefully she will maybe survive something. I would like to use her, but after some research it seems that she is too fragile. So any suggestions on supports/tanks/leads would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    On Toxicroack, X-Scissor doesn't really do much since you can already get Sucker Punch which is STAB and can cover what X-Scissor does (on Psychic side).

As for Dragonite, you're already almost guaranteed to survive with SR not up from an Ice Beam. Also go for Fire Blast > Flamethrower for more power over steels. You're probably better off going with Leftovers or Life Orb, since if there IS SR, then generally you could fire off one or two attacks (or have more power), hope for OHKO and then Multiscale is restored. Either way, Yache is better for Pokemon that are setting up, and on this set Dragonite isn't really setting up. ;x

On Ninetales, Life Orb is much more useful, yeah you lose some HP but ultimately if you want to use it for a quick kill, then your other attacks could do with boosts, plus a one-time boost for a non-STAB attack isn't really that great. Also, generally Solarbeam is preferred for the sets with Sunny Day, but if you feel confident enough in risking it, then yeah. Dark Pulse and Psyshock don't really help you and you miiight be better off breeding a HP fighting one, since while you've got Solarbeam (or Energy Ball) to cover Politoed, Flamethrower to cover Abomasnow, you haven't really got anything to cover Tyranitar, which HP fighting will do.

Gl!

Years
    • Seen Mar 30, 2014
    Alright, so I made some updates based on your suggestions like the ones for Ninetales and Dragonite, but Toxicroak won't get stab from sucker punch since he is poison/fighting. As for the solar beam, the Ninetales has drought, which incurs sunny day so I feel it has more of a place for the power increase.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    lol I make dumb mistakes, somehow it didn't click w/ my brain when I said psychic OH WELL ;x Either way, Sucker Punch really is more useful either way, because due to the poison typing they won't be giving you status as much, but rather actually attacking, so you can just sneak in the attack first.

But yeah for Ninetales, it depends, since you're using it as a weapon against the other weather inducers, then you might have a bit of an issue if they switch in, but yeah up to you.

Years
    • Seen Mar 30, 2014
    Alright, thanks for the input! The more I think Sucker Punch the more I like it, especially for taking out those pesky psychic types before they murder him! What do you think about Gardevoir?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Well for Wishing, instead of Gardevoir, you could also go with Jirachi which could support your Dragonite against dragons:

Jirachi@Leftovers
    Serene Grace
    252 HP / 224 SpD / 32 Spe
    Careful
    - Iron Head
    - Body Slam / Thunder Wave
    - Wish
    - Fire Punch / Protect / Stealth Rock

Which makes it pretty bulky too (not as much as Gardevoir in sDef but definitely in defense at least), plus more HP for larger Wishes, etc. And for fire attacks you could switch into Ninetales and Dragonite anyway. Ground might be a bit of an issue but if you switch Toxicroak for Gallade it might not be as much of an issue. If not you could go for Blissey/Chansey but you'll need to watch for fighting attacks. ;x

Years
    • Seen Mar 30, 2014
    I can't use Jirachi because it has been banned, but I will probably work it into my Pokemon Online team, and I think I will give Blissey a shot with her massive health pool and special walling capabilities! Thanks again.

Back