• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The moderating / mod choosing systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

LanceLite

~Clone of a Max!
Years
  • Well this kind of started when I was discussing with a friend about the system of getting mods for my forum.

My original question was that PC's way of choosing mods were good, so I wanted to know how it was done so i could apply it on my forums. But from there I noticed that the current new mods are only the ones with high amount of posts, rep and friends. This doesnt seem fair because in my forums, I would choose people who will be responsible about the work they do, and have experience in BOTH modding and the topics they mod. Also at that same time I see that old members who were here for a long time from long ago, probably even from the days of Old PC do not get any good respect, while newbies out of nowhere come up and become mods and stuff.

The next I see is a lack of moderators with the power to ban. In my forum i'd like to have many mods like this because of a certain incident that happened a week or so ago. There was a guy under the name of yoshi_junior who registered the same day. No posts. he at once set to PMing all online members to go visit his forums. since this is against PC rules, many including me warned him. some even forwarded the PM to former admin kairi. there were no moderators with the power to ban him immediately so yoshi_junior invited ppl to his hearts content and left the same day i assume. because i do not see ONE post by him. if only there was someone like Satoshi-kun online at that time.
    it also could be that yoshi_junior was in fact a normal member at PC who took under a different username that knew PC was densely populated, and even though its against the rules this kind of adverting would still attract many customers. so an IP ban would have done good. but now IP/normal ban wont do any good.

The next things for my mods I see that they MUST follow rules themselves, and will be subject to punishments for any wrong they do. This would include even flaming other members, and abusing their moderating jobs. fortunately PC doesnt SEEM to have moderators like this, but what can you explain about the facts that other moderators just grouped together (i wont name who) to un-mod a girl and to get her admin friend bad reputation among the members, just because the person who started against them had something against their actions in her religion.
    I believe there is something to the moderators rule that he or she must be able to tolerate people of different religions and beliefs and cannot interefere with it.
    That thing above will take me into flaming that "moderator" directly so I will not say anything. There are MORE facts to it and if you want to know i'll only tell u thru MSN cos its against PC Rules right now, but u'll have to ask properly first.

the last thing i want to ask about the moderators is their system of banning. now i know that anyone who spams continuously is DESTINED to be banned/IP banned. but in many places, fortunately not in PC i saw normal members get banned for just saying specific things, especially things about their moderators. is this allowed? or is this just moderators taking revenge?

so all want is cleared is a complete set of rules FOR the moderators, and a GOOD way of choosing them.

if you think i am acting against moderators, i am not acting against anyone here. i just want to clear my head of the stuff that's going on here. and about that "moderator" and stuff about that, it is true according to many other members. if you want any more facts about it i can tell you. but be warned as i cannot REALLY give you proof but it is very much believable as it is seen. if i was to do that, many members would probably be forced to believe that this "moderator" is just taking advantages and should be un-modded.

also another thing on the universal rules of ANY moderators is that they MUST clear confusion on any members, and prove to them that what they hear is wrong. if you ban me or close this just because of what i wrote, you will be breaking this rule and i will be forced to see that PC's mods are REALLY taking advantages of their jobs.

DO NOT CLOSE THIS YET!! AS OF THAT I HAVE DOUBTS ABOUT THE MODS AND I WANT THIS CLEARED, DO NOT CLOSE THIS UNTIL I SAY SO THAT IT HAS BEEN CLEAR TO ME.
    remember, you ban me... u lose one of your most loyal members who has been here since the time of Old PC.

Geometric-sama

The Manly Man of Steel
    Years
  • OK. S-mods and up can ban. This is done for security and trust reasons. PC mods aren't picked for post count, number of friends, etc. They're mostly picked by senior staff although us normal mods may PM a senior staff member to suggest someone, and they are picked for their level of expertise, their activity level and how friendly and helpful they are.

Demonic Angel

I remember when I lost my mind
    Years
  • I hadn't noticed it myself, that mods were chosen by rep, ect...but I think staff members (not just moderators) do break rules at times, and they get away with it...I think Steve and Kwesi should review the staff they've hired, but by saying that I might be "telling them how to do their job". But it's a matter of opinion, so meh.
    A member flaming (or saying stuff about) a moderator should be taken no different than if a member flamed a member.
    About that thing with yoshi_junior...personally, I think members should have to make a post before they're allowed to send PMs. o.o
    Anyway yeah, I'm against some of PC's mod choices, and how some mods+ act but...yeah...

Years
    • Seen May 21, 2011
    I noticed that the current new mods are only the ones with high amount of posts, rep and friends.
    Mods are chosen by suggestions and by checking posts of the most active helpful members, not just by "i know this person, let's mod them" ^^; there are plenty of mods that were modded who we didn't know well.

The next I see is a lack of moderators with the power to ban.
    You probably weren't around when crackers like maca were. People were cracking into various mods accounts and abusing the power to ban, which is why its only for smods+ now -it's for everyone's safety.

but what can you explain about the facts that other moderators just grouped together (i wont name who) to un-mod a girl and to get her admin friend bad reputation among the members, just because the person who started against them had something against their actions in her religion.
    It's pretty obvious what you're talking about, and to be honest just don't go there. Don't comment on things you don't know about, and make assumptions about what happened and listen to rumours when there are really only a select few people who know the full story. With that situation we didn't start making a thread about what really happened because we didn't want to take things down to that level (out of respect and to stop from being petty), so you should learn to trust the staff.

We select mods for their activity and ability in certain areas. We give them powers without giving too much which would be a security risk and would lessen the position of smod. Flaming by mods isn't accepted, and if it occurs on the public boards it will be dealt with.

Rukario

Banned
    Years
  • All the above responses are pretty much right.. mods are suggested by mods+ and even sometimes members and picked, in fact voted on -- based on their knowledge of the target topic, time at PC, QUALITY of posts and to a lesser extent # of posts (to help see how active they are) -- by the smods and up. Rep is not counted as of late due the recent abuse of the rep system..

Powers are set to:
    a) ensure security and safty to all members and to PC itself.
    b) to encourage current mods to do better to earn a promotion.
    c) allow only the needed job funtions of the posistion (i.e. mods can close, move, etc. topics.)

If it appears the mods are 'friends' of those who choose them then it may be that they (the mods) are active, noticed by staff and staff memember has choosen to interact with them. We do like to get to know ALL our members, some just do it a lot better then others *hides*

Everyone has an equal chance of becoming a mod - just be very helpful, knowledgable in the topic you're interested in.. and make yourself stand out above everyone else. We want VERY MUCH to promote those that know their topics, and promote PC and help to improve the quality of the communityt experience. the better you look in the boards, the better your chances of a promotion..

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back