• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Uptime. >_<

Years
  • Tch. Okay, my comp's been on for tha last 50 days, an' I've been tryin' ta make a record uptime -- as in how much it stays on without resets, but for some wierd reason everytime I hit 4 days an' 10 hours my comp JUST WON'T READ OFF THA NET ANYMORE!! Any internet-related application stops workin'! >_<
    So far I've tried ta close an' reopen explorer, shut down all my messengers an' net-related programs, repair the connection, even plug out tha modem an' plug it back in. Nothing! Unless I hit reset it just won't read off tha blasted net! >_<
    I'm usin' Windows XP Service Pack 2, Zone Alarm firewall an' Norton Antivirus(dunno if that helps but meh).
    Could someone please help me? If I plan on going away on holiday and leave my comp at home on for remote access an' this happens it's goodbye... >_<;;;

Kyosuke

.·Simple Complexity
    Years
  • 50 days... wow XD

Hmm.. even after doing all of that with restarting programs and whatnot, and it still won't work.. your only option seems to be to restart your computer and see what happens after that...

Years
  • Lol, restartin' tha comp solves it but I lose my uptime... an' after 4 days 10 hours it happens ALL over again... >_<

Tch. Ya think that's much? A friend o' mine hasn't turned his comp off since October an' has a record uptime of 2 weeks an' 1 day... tch, an' I've seen servers with 1 year 1/2 uptime so don't be surprised. XD

Kyosuke

.·Simple Complexity
    Years
  • Well I suppose its not that surprising, I leave my computer on for days, and I also disabled the screensaver when I go to school so meh XD

Chaos

Uptime on a Windows box is often hard to have. Windows is slightly crash-prone if you don't reboot it every few days - by crash prone, I don't mean total lockup, I mean things start to go wrong, like this internet connection example.

And just to brag, my maximum uptime was 134 days, before something went weird with my wireless net connection. That's a server running Linux, though, so don't feel bad. ;P

Currently it's only a few days - I recently moved the box across the house.

And on the troubleshooting topic, have you tried disabling and re-enabling the connection? Not repairing the connection, but entirely disabling and re-enabling.

Years
  • Yeh, I know, all tha servers I've seen run on Linux but I dunno Linux an' if I start over reinstallin' everything on my comp on a new OS... @_@

Tch. Things start ta go wrong ya say?

-my explorer was opened 5 times
    -I once found myself on a noname account with not even enough privileges to reboot
    -my windows was moving slower than a 486

That's about all tha strangeness I got outta windows so far?

Eh? Doesn't disablin' an' rei-enablin' reset my uptime? o.0 Oh well, I guess I'll just have ta try it next time... I'm at 1 day right now so I'll know if it works in 3 days. ^^;;

Chaos

I mean disabling and re-enabling the net connection. That won't kill the system uptime, unless you shut down or reboot.

justin@chaos:~$ uptime
    12:54:13 up 2 days, 22:23, 3 users, load average: 0.11, 0.06, 0.01

Current uptime. Probably won't need a reboot until I either decide to reinstall the OS (which I probably won't for a long time), or until I need to do a kernel recompile (again, probably won't have to anytime soon - 2.4.26 is just fine for me).

Years
  • Lol, I remember some nice errors my "good" friend kernel32 was givin' me back on 98 an' ME... *shudders*
    Tch. Well thanx anyway, I'm gonna try it when it happens again. Tch. Good ta know that there's also a system uptime an' that even though my connection closes I'll still have a timer runnin' somewhere. ^_^

Back