• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Numerous Chinese...

jynx

Er.../eh...
Years
  • Seriously, what's on with the anime!?

In AG145, they mentioned about "Chinese noodles", and the boy was Chinese (I'm not sure about the man)

Then in AG148 all the 3 characters wear Chinese robes. The old woman even makes Chinese medicine! (and you can see that there is a torn Japanese flag on the wall of their house. Normally one tear a country's flag because of great hatred to that country.)

What happened!? Why do they have to dominant this? Why are they doing this?

Years
  • Well, in regards to the flag thing, it could be a lingering jab on China because of the Manchuria invasion shtick in the 30's. But I really think it's just jabbing on the bigger nation, given how China has all that space, while Japan has none (of course, they got the tech, so it balances).

Besides, the last thing Japan needs is to have China try to invade their already crowded nation. Personally, I think it's a jab by one of the animators and it was so small, it slipped by their sensors. American comic book artists but truly inkers (like Al Milgrom's jab at Marvel Editor in Chief Bob Harris' departure at 98-99, painted so minutely in the panel) pull that here.

I think it's that more than anything else or just a reminder that the series is firmly Japanese. I wouldn't panic much.

(Of course, I'm white, so I'm probably not the best expert at these things anyway)

jynx

Er.../eh...
    Years
  • I did not have the script of this episode, nor watched these episodes. All I saw was spoiler pics.

And I do not want animators to influence children about Sino-Japanese war.
    The relationship between China and Japan is awful enough these days!
    Ever since Koizumi Junichiro went to "that temple".
    This is the issue I am worried.

Afterall, Pokemon had already been complained as being racist to Africans for once, I am worried if some1 else makes another issue on Chinese.

Years
  • If we're talking about Jynx, I think that was more stupidity if anything and an oops moment. Funny, as I like Jynx a lot.

I don't recall the temple thing, but I think with the fact China is always in Japan's shadow and rivals with the bigger nation shtick and superpower. Just like France is pissy with USA because we're the stronger superpower and they got demoted.

I'd say the same for China but more economic, as Japan has quite the money flowing in, while China doesn't. So yeah, if there was going to be any pissing contests, it would be there.

And what about Arcanine? They kinda went out of their way to place the Chinese myth there. Maybe a subtle apology or acknowledgement to Chinese culture?

I dunno. Game Freak baffles me a lot at times.

jynx

Er.../eh...
    Years
  • I mean, I don't mind in episodes with Kasandra, or AG145, because they didn't insult Chinese in anyway. (they actually were positive)

But AG148 with the flag might set flames somewhere.
    I mean, the relation ship between China and Japan are poor, parents are going to b sensitive!

Back