• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon illegal in Saudi Arabia?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Oct 15, 2012
    I'm sorry if there's a discussion on this piece of news already - but it just came to my attention today. Supposedly the government in Saudi Arabia is going to outlaw Pokemon because it conflicts with the Islamic religion. You can check out the article here. It seems a bit rediculous to me that they're seizing and destroying Pokemon merch from stores, and I was wondering what your thoughts on it are.
    (One more reason that I love being an American - we can keep our Pokemon)
    Edit: Ahhh... I'm very, very sorry... I thought the news was current - it's actually a piece from 2001. A staff member can remove this.

Drifblim

Banned
    Years
  • Well, even though the article is old, it is still in place today.

There is a fatwa in effect in Saudi Arabia just because the emirs believe that the colourless symbols on the cards propagate Judaism, and because the money system involved with the games is in effect gambling. Both are direct contradictions of what they believe is ideal according to the Koran, so it has been repulsed from the countlry ever since introduction outside Japan.

Chiru

I dun use this account any mo'
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen May 31, 2013
    Doesn't surprise me either. It's been banned in other countries for even more stupid reasons. I think it got banned in Turkey once when some kids jumped off a building because they saw a Pokemon do it in one episode.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back