• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I want the New Mario Bros.!

Kraka-chan

From the Kraka Club
Years
  • I would like to know when the New Super Mario Bros. for the DS is coming out in Europe.

I was looking for it today, but none of the shops in my area had it. I would just like to make sure that it is out now along with the DS Lite.

If anyone could help me, that'd be great.

Kraka-chan

From the Kraka Club
    Years
  • Hmm... well is the release date different for the UK?
    Anyway, I'm really disappointed that none of the game shops near me have it. But they have pleanty of games like Over the Hedge or Chicken Little.

I really don't want to resort to buying games from online shops. I'm the one who likes to go to a high street shop, buy a game and take it straight home. I don't mean to be selfish or anything, but I'm sure you'd understand what I'm on about. <pouts>

Kraka-chan

From the Kraka Club
    Years
  • Hey, I managed to get the release date from Amazon.co.uk. It said the release date will be the 30th of June. That's a week away.
    Do any of the stores you went to know when a shipment of games will be coming in?
    Well, the shops used to have a sort of future release list, but they don't have it anymore. I could've asked the staff if they knew. I regret not doing that now. <sighs>

Edit: Well, as long as this is up, does anyone have the game? And is it good?

Last edited:

Zacceh

Another day in the life of...
    Years
  • I don't HAVE it but i've played the demo at the store. It's an awesome game. Another mario game I recommend is Partners in time which was realased a little bit before New Super Mario Bros.

Omnicron

Game Critic
    Years
  • I wasted $70 dollars on that game (Australian mind you). I absolutley despise it. The difficulty can range to being piss easy, to frustratingly hard. I should have taken a safe bet and got Mario Kart DS instead. My sister says this excuse for a game is great. Pah. Its as though the originally pristine and great mario games have been chewed up by Nintendo, and spat into the cartridge. The mini games are tiresome, gimmicks are rife within the game, and the controls can be non-respondant. Put that alongside with its obscure title, "NEW" Super Mario Bros. (It aint gonna be new forever!), you have yourself a stinker. This game in one word? DIRE.

Last edited:

Kraka-chan

From the Kraka Club
    Years
  • Well, I managed to get the game after its release date. And I think its brilliant.
    It has a feeling similar to the old Mario games, but with updates such as the Blue Shell and the Mega Mushroom. I love seeing Mario grow to MEGA SIZE and crush everything.
    And don't forget the multiplayer.

Omnicron- You have a right to an opinion, but do you have any suggestions that might improve the game? I'd say the option to save often, not just when you pay star coins at the gate or beat a boss.

Crystal Clair

Shinji lover
    Years
  • I wasted $70 dollars on that game (Australian mind you). I absolutley despise it. The difficulty can range to being piss easy, to frustratingly hard. I should have taken a safe bet and got Mario Kart DS instead. My sister says this excuse for a game is great. Pah. Its as though the originally pristine and great mario games have been chewed up by Nintendo, and spat into the cartridge. The mini games are tiresome, gimmicks are rife within the game, and the controls can be non-respondant. Put that alongside with its obscure title, "NEW" Super Mario Bros. (It aint gonna be new forever!), you have yourself a stinker. This game in one word? DIRE.
    I couldn't agree more
    I recently had my MarioKart DS game stolen and my sister bought me this when I told her to buy me another MKDS.
    I'm so giving it to her boyfriend. He did want it.
    I swear, I cursed so much, and I almost threw the ds out the window at times
    So unless you're the type who has extreme patience, is good at difficult side-scrollers and can go through a course without getting injured, this game is for you. If you're not that type, dont waste your money.
    Yoshi Story was better than this game. (Actually, I quite liked Yoshi story)

Years
  • Crystal Clair said:
    Yoshi Story was better than this game. (Actually, I quite liked Yoshi story)
    Oh come on. Be reasonable here.

First off, saying that any Mario game is bad (Besides Mario Pinball) is a SIN.

Omicron, you say difficult is a bad thing, I say difficult may be fun. I mean, I had "frustrating difficult" going though Larry Koopa's Fort in Super Mario World, though I still found the game much enjoyable.

Note that I have not actually played New Super Mario Bros, but I will. I have read reveiws with high scores of 9.5s. I got the players guide (Yeah, mom goes out to get me NSMB, but gets the guide instead, go figure), and I am completely sure that New Super Mario Bros will be the game I've been waiting for since Super Mario World.

And yeah, the Minigames may be recycled, but they can go multiplayer single card. Which is woo. and Mario and Luigi battles, another woo.

Omnicron

Game Critic
    Years
  • Kraka-chan said:
    Omnicron- You have a right to an opinion, but do you have any suggestions that might improve the game? I'd say the option to save often, not just when you pay star coins at the gate or beat a boss.

That was one of the most frustrating parts of the game. Getting to the halfway point of World 5 and then dieing was absolutley infurating. My sister is absolutley terrible at all video games, including this one, and once stabbed the touch screen of my DS in anger while playing it. Yet she still insists its a great game. This game was and is painful to play. The store i bought it from won't even let me return it - its that bad.

And Daviku... I'd hardly call it a sin. I'm not a hater of the Mario Franchise, in fact, i love some of the games, like Super Mario Sunshine. I'm just not a big fan of this game at all. I'm getting rid of this game as soon as i have the chance.

enyce

banned
    Years
  • ^^You could always trade it in and get store credit...

I think its an okay game. It doesnt live up to its hype. Some things could have been fixed like. Save when ever you feel like it. =(

I get bored then have to leave it on so I wont lose my progress.

Kraka-chan

From the Kraka Club
    Years
  • Wow! I didn't think I'd get so much comments (more like complaints, but that doesn't matter) about the New Super Mario Bros. (And yeah, Omnicron, it shouldn't really be called 'New').

Wolt- yeah, critticaly speaking, there should be more levels. Although there was a world map like in SMB3, there wasn't enough stages.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • Wolt said:
    I don't criticise the save feature at all, considering it pretty much adds to the challenge of the game. Chastise it all you want, but if you want to save everywhere, just beat Bowser. >>;

Although the bosses disappointed me (since bosses in newer games require more vexing strategies), the original games didn't exactly have such hard bosses either.

I love the range of levels and the total number when compared to our original games, though. A lot more levels in the depth depicted in Super Mario Bros. 3 would've been nicer though.

That's all.

edit: Just note, there's little excuse about leaving the DS on - sleep mode.

Super Mario Bros. 3's levels are short! It has a ton of levels, but they are short! Super Mario World has a ton of levels too, but they're longer. However... Super Mario Bros. 3's levels were also more challenging than Super Mario World's. In New Super Mario Bros., I think it found a balance between these two games - just the wrong one. We got short and easy levels, I would've prefered long and difficult levels.

The boss and mini-boss battles didn't bother me in New Super Mario Bros. About the same difficulty level as the mini-bosses and bosses in SMB3. and SMW.

spike6958

TCG Collector
    Years
    • Age 35
    • UK
    • Seen Apr 30, 2021
    i got this game and it rox and for anyone whos wants to play as Luigi just press and hold the L & R buttons and select the file you want to use but you have to do this each time you start playing otherwise you will play as mario

Kraka-chan

From the Kraka Club
    Years
  • spike6958 said:
    i got this game and it rox and for anyone whos wants to play as Luigi just press and hold the L & R buttons and select the file you want to use but you have to do this each time you start playing otherwise you will play as mario
    Wow! The trick you posted actually worked. Thanks alot!
    Now I'll be playing as Luigi for most of the game. ;)

Charon

unscrupulous~
    Years
  • Mwahaha. I want it too, but I want the Noble Pink DS Lite.

I'm such a girl |D

Kraka-chan

From the Kraka Club
    Years
  • TRIFORCE89 said:
    Does Luigi have his special jumping abilities like in most other Mario games?
    Nah, I believe it's just for cosmetic effect, a different change of pace. I do like playing as him though.

Mario has dominated the platformers long enough. Although Luigi starred in his own game, Luigi's Mansion, it was quite short. Mario got all the bigger adventures.

Until Nintendo decide to put Luigi in a proper adventure, I'll be playing as him in NSMB.

Back