• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Newbies

Years
    • Seen Aug 7, 2006
    Hello all,

My girlfriend and I bought the first Pokemon movie the other week, as a joke, but then got interested. Then we bought copies of LeafGreen and FireRed and now we're hooked. 10 years too late, we know, but still ;)

Anyway, we were wondering ... after playing FR/LG should we move on to Ruby/Sapphire? At first we thought this made sense, but then noticed Emerald, and after looking through our Pokedex, we noticed that Emerald seemed to have all the Pokemon from Ruby/Sapphire plus a whole bunch more.

Basically ... is there any reason to play Ruby/Sapphire? Or should we both just grab copies of Emerald to continue our journey? It seems to me that through FireRed/LeafGreen plus Emerald, we could get 90% of available Pokemon (if not more).

Thanks for any advice. We're kinda confused atm ...

=A&S=

Kraka-chan

From the Kraka Club
    Years
  • Well, considering that FR/LG is an update of R/B/Y, and if you haven't played R/S/E before, I would consider giving it a go. It's a slightly bigger adventure than the previous games.

And it's nice to hear from a new Pokefan, even if you're a little late. :)

Ronin

Lazlo Woodbine’s apprentice
    Years
  • Emerald is basically ruby/ sapphire with a bunch of extra stuff (but there are some pokemon you need Ruby and Sapphire to get). So my answer would be to get Emerald (and one of the others if you are getting two.

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    As I always say, get Emerald FIRST. Then, fundage permitting, you can invest in Ruby/Sapphire. Just make sure to start saving up for a DS and the Diamond/Pearl that is set to come out.

Back