• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Legend Of Zelda

Jeremy

<font color="deepskyblue">Sweetie</font>
Years
  • Well sweetie, Zelda games have elements from action games, adventure games, computer role-playing games, and computer puzzle games, sweetie. =3

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • Umm...they are, yes. However, they do sway towards more of the action/adventure side of things.

In the early days, it was considered an RPG, due to the various elements the original game had. Like...different levels of swords, the fact that you can become stronger through hearts as your adventure continues, and how you had control over your character. The original game was unique because you could visit any level in any order; even enter a new level without completing your current one, and then return to it later. It was also very large, hence the battery save feature.

The series still retains all of these elements (to a lesser extent on the out of sequence dungeons, however), but it's not really a classical RPG anymore. At least not of the same type, as say...Final Fantasy.

Zelda II: The Adventure of Link, is a true RPG. You gain levels, attacks, magic points, life points. Etc.

Now a days they are adventure games that feature puzzle solving and RPG elements.

Kraka-chan

From the Kraka Club
    Years
  • In the later games (Link to the Past onwards, I believe) they added puzzle elments to the dungeons.
    So rather than beating up all the baddies to advance, you'd have to find a switch to activate or try to reach the door without falling into any traps, etc.

I think that it's mostly an RPG because of all the NPCs and the vastness of some of the games in the series, and that Link grows stronger as you progress (but not in the usual).

Mudkip85

A.K.A ~KIPPER~
    Years
  • wow thanks im very greatful you guys have helped me ot here as it was seriously doing my head in. So now weve cleared that up a bit i have to ask about the Legend Of Zelda game going to be released on the wii do you thnk it will be classified as an rpg?

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess is officially classified as an "Adventure" title, like most Zelda games.

I think it's unlikely that we'll ever see a true Zelda RPG again as AoL is kind of seen as the black sheep of the series.

Jeremy

<font color="deepskyblue">Sweetie</font>
    Years
  • Actually sweetie, wasn't the three CDi games were...

...nevermind. XD But yeah, TP is going to be classified as Adventure.

When I think of RPG, I usually think of levels, stat buidling, experince, ect. XD

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • Well...thos are games that most people wish did not exist. Not really a "black sheep". Completely different things. XD

mewtwo-EX

The original EX
    Years
  • Not to mention they weren't even made by Nintendo, who has overseen / undertaken the creation of every other Zelda game in existence. But yes, TP will be classified as an Adventure game; one which includes a huge overworld, dual-world type of areas, and a more story driven...story.

Somewhat off topic, but here's a montage I made comparing the Wii and Gamecube versions. (Wii on the Left, GCN on the Right) [ Link ]. Hope people like it :)

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • Not to mention they weren't even made by Nintendo, who has overseen / undertaken the creation of every other Zelda game in existence. But yes, TP will be classified as an Adventure game; one which includes a huge overworld, dual-world type of areas, and a more story driven...story.

Somewhat off topic, but here's a montage I made comparing the Wii and Gamecube versions. (Wii on the Left, GCN on the Right) [ Link ]. Hope people like it :)

It is a nice idea. And it is beneficial to see how big of a difference flipping the game actually is. However...

You couldv'e just flipped the Wii screenshots. Excluding the widescreen format it would be identical to the GCN's presentation. You used old screenshots for the GCN side, so the graphics look worse than the Wii's; while they feature the same graphics.

nicoleb

Whannell's hot.
    Years
  • Well sweetie, Zelda games have elements from action games, adventure games, computer role-playing games, and computer puzzle games, sweetie. =3
    Somehow, I knew I'd find a post from you in here, Jeremy Chan. XD

Anyways, I was talking to some other nerds friends about this the other day. As far as I can tell, an RPG is a game when the character gains stats throughout the game. (IE, levels, power, defense, speed, etc..) None of the Zelda games, besides Zelda II do this. It's just skill and weapons. If Link had the right weapons and the game allowed it, he'd be able to defeat the final boss on the spot, regardless of how strong he actually was. Also, Zelda's not a turn-based battle game. It's just "beat the living ginger out of your enemies as soon as you can." So it's an action/adventure, puzzle game with some RPG elements, but not an RPG.

mewtwo-EX

The original EX
    Years
  • Triforce said:
    You couldv'e just flipped the Wii screenshots. Excluding the widescreen format it would be identical to the GCN's presentation. You used old screenshots for the GCN side, so the graphics look worse than the Wii's; while they feature the same graphics.

Actually, they changed the Twilight realm between the 2005/06 versions of the shots, making the new ones have a over saturated look. Also about graphics, I took the screenshots on the left from a 2x zoom of a 320x180 video. The right screenshots were taken from the Nintendo Power DVD. The fact that you say the upscaled (Wii) side looks better than the DVD shots says something about the graphical quality the Wii version will show.

nicoleb said:
    Also, Zelda's not a turn-based battle game.
    Turn-based gameplay is not the defining characteristic of an RPG. I know of several RPGs which do not use turn-based gameplay. Adventure of Link was one of them, as well as the Tales series.

I, like you, consider Zelda to be a mix of RPG and adventure, with a focus on the adventure. RPG because of the "leveling up" through collecting items, and adventure because of the way you fight enemies and solve puzzles.

Mudkip85

A.K.A ~KIPPER~
    Years
  • Somehow, I knew I'd find a post from you in here, Jeremy Chan. XD

Anyways, I was talking to some other nerds friends about this the other day. As far as I can tell, an RPG is a game when the character gains stats throughout the game. (IE, levels, power, defense, speed, etc..) None of the Zelda games, besides Zelda II do this. It's just skill and weapons. If Link had the right weapons and the game allowed it, he'd be able to defeat the final boss on the spot, regardless of how strong he actually was. Also, Zelda's not a turn-based battle game. It's just "beat the living ginger out of your enemies as soon as you can." So it's an action/adventure, puzzle game with some RPG elements, but not an RPG.

i appreciate your comment but doesnt zelda sort of level up in the way the health increases i.e as you go through the journey with zelda life storage increases doesnt that count as leveling up?

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years

• Actually, they changed the Twilight realm between the 2005/06 versions of the shots, making the new ones have a over saturated look. Also about graphics, I took the screenshots on the left from a 2x zoom of a 320x180 video. The right screenshots were taken from the Nintendo Power DVD. The fact that you say the upscaled (Wii) side looks better than the DVD shots says something about the graphical quality the Wii version will show.
    ...That's why I said the GCN screenshots were old. Currently, the Wii and GCN version's should be graphically identical. Both feature the same Twilight Realm. The Nintendo Power DVD from an older build.

Kraka-chan

From the Kraka Club
    Years
  • It's not just Link's health that grows as you progress, in some of the games, Link's weapons and magic also grow stronger.

And then there's the magic armour that decreases the amount of damage Link recieves.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • Well...

No, I wouldn't think so. Link's magic and weapon upgrades aren't really upgrades in terms of power or damage given to enemies. They're more like simple capacity upgrades. Yes, through your quest you earn items that are more powerful than what you previously had, but for the most part these are items you need to proceed with the game (Master Sword being stronger than the Kokiri Sword, for example). There are few other items, that are stronger (Biggoron's Sword), but they're more of a bonus. And as they are few and far between, it's unlike in a traditional RPG where you can find new weapons frequently and choose which one you would like to use. It's progressive with the exception of a few bonuses.

Besides, a skilled player would know that a Deku Stick gives more damage than the Kokiri Sword. :p So, the strong items aren't always what you think they are.

Years
  • Well...

No, I wouldn't think so. Link's magic and weapon upgrades aren't really upgrades in terms of power or damage given to enemies. They're more like simple capacity upgrades. Yes, through your quest you earn items that are more powerful than what you previously had, but for the most part these are items you need to proceed with the game (Master Sword being stronger than the Kokiri Sword, for example). There are few other items, that are stronger (Biggoron's Sword), but they're more of a bonus. And as they are few and far between, it's unlike in a traditional RPG where you can find new weapons frequently and choose which one you would like to use. It's progressive with the exception of a few bonuses.

Besides, a skilled player would know that a Deku Stick gives more damage than the Kokiri Sword. :p So, the strong items aren't always what you think they are.
    I agree.
    and that why I used my action replay to make my deku stick stock unlimited when I was bored the other day.

Kraka-chan

From the Kraka Club
    Years
  • Well...

I didn't know that. But I do understand why the deku sticks deal more damage. Imagine the splinters! lol :laugh:

Back