• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen My Progress thus Far

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Dec 26, 2006
    I've just beat Lt. Surge's gym, and my only Pokemon are a level 27 Graveler and level 28 Ivysaur. I think this progress is ok, but I'm worried that I need another Pokemon. I can only find crappy uninteresting Pokemon like Sparrow and Sandshrew, but want cooler Pokemon. Can anyone tell me where to find so better Pokemon and recommend which one I should get next?

kintar

Celebi
    Years
    • Seen Jun 23, 2007
    Get an Abra and evolve it to a Kadabra. It OKHOs stuff like crazy.

kintar

Celebi
    Years
    • Seen Jun 23, 2007
    I only have FR, so I don't know for sure, but looking at those stats, it seems pretty good. I don't like the speed though.
    I recommend Mankey if you want a good fighting type.

Years
    • Seen Dec 26, 2006
    I would like a water pokemon and a psychic pokemon, because then I'd have like a fighting, water, grass and ghost like psychic pokemon.

Years
    • Seen Dec 24, 2006
    Fighting is "Eh" to me. It's good, but I don't like to use it.

For a Psychic, DEFINITELY go with Abra/Kadabra/Alakazam.
    If you must have a fighting, go with Machop/Machoke/Machamp. Again with the "meh".

Richard Lynch

Professor Lynch
    Years
  • An Alakazam is okay, and usually my preference in any Pokemon game, but Hypno's are pretty good too. Alakazams are Special Attack monsters, but if you're quick enough and use the right move, you can take them down in one or two hits. Hypnos have pretty good special attack, but are also very good with defense. So I'd say a Hypno is a much more balanced psychic pokemon, if that's what you're looking for. But if you're going for sheer brutal power, an Alakazam is your man. I once trained an Alakazam with about 400 Special Attack. But if he was hit a good Earthquake by a Pokemon of the same level, he was toast.

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    I would advise you to avoid the pitfalls of putting Pokes on your team strictly because of their type. What EVERY trainer should do is visit sites like smogon.com and understand what base stats are and how they relate to the game. That little information can transform an unedumacated noob into a skilled veteran.

I would suggest you do go ahead and raise a Bold Slowbro. It gets STAB Surf and Psychic, has enough base SAtk to be effective, but has even better SDef to make it tankish. Between that and the eventual Venusaur, you should have a couple solid defenders. What you then need is some sweepers and an utility Poke. Good physical attackers range from Dragonite to Tauros to Heracross (don't discount how effective a Fighting-type can be, as opposed to what some have claimed). Special attackers range from Alakazam to Gengar to Starmie. Good utility Pokes range from Jolteon to Umbreon to Blissey. You have quite a big selection to choose from, although most good Pokes you typically cannot acquire until later in the game.

Squeegee Beckenheim

SB - The Hunk (Since 2005)
    Years
  • Lots of people have given you great suggestions, and I think you could easily follow one of them.

Next time you have a question, ask it in Simple Questions. Using this thread helps us reduce spam so it helps us help you. The link to this overly helpful thread is in my sig and in the group of stickies near the top of the FR/LG (GBA) forum.

CLOSED

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back