• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fairy Musketeer Akazukin - Bizarro-Disney Has Arrived!

SBaby

Dungeon Master
Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2015
    Well, I was checking out a few of the usual places, and came across this fairly new Anime called Otogi Jushi Akazukin (Fairy Musketeer Akazukin). I started watching it, and surprisingly I'm now hooked. For lack of a better term, this takes place in a really messed up Disney/Fairy Tale universe. Anyway, let's take a look.

soutasw6.png

This is Souta, the main protagonist of our story. He's pretty much like any other kid in town. He wakes up, goes to school, and everything else. Basically, he lost his mother in a freak accident (by this show's standards) when he was younger, so now he's got a cute girl checking up on him every once in awhile (his dad's there, but he works long days, so Souta rarely sees him). Occasionally though, he (Souta) suddenly manifests a power that enables him to obliterate all the enemies. Other than that, pretty typical. Anyway...

I don't have pics for everyone, but here's a few that I have.

akazukin3wo3.png

Akazukin (Red Riding Hood) is one of the so-called 'Musketeers' that suddenly shows up one day in Souta's world (more on that later) to save him from a monster from her world. Following so far? Good. She tells Souta that his world os one of two, that were originally one world, but they were split apart thousands of years ago due to the arrogance of people and a mad God. Anyway, Souta's world is the Science world, and Akazukin's world is the Magic world.

akazukinvalsoutavg4.jpg

Akazukin isn't alone for long though. Her wolf companion is always with her (I think he's a pun on the big bad wolf that frequents fairy tales). Also two others soon join, making up the whole group of Three Musketeers.

akazukin04zl1.jpg

This is another picture of more of the group. From right to left, we have Akazukin, Souta, Shirayuke (another Musketeer), and Ringo (the girl that watches over him). I don't have any pics for Ibara yet, but if you ever see the Anime, you can see what she looks like.

akazukin03go2.jpg

Two villains and I finally know their names. The cat is Puss in Boots, and the boy is Hansel. Did I mention the witch they serve is named Cinderella-sama? I told you it was messed up.

Anyway, I won't spoil anything else plot-wise for you. But I will say that this show is pretty addictive. If you get a chance, definitely check it out.

If you've seen it, or have any questions or comments, feel free to post them here.

Last edited:

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
    Years
  • I thought it was Fooly Cooly when I looked at that first picture XD

And it sound alot like Kingdom Hearts... The whole Disney part at least. Well It look cool, I might have to check it out once Im done with MAR [Which'll take a while..]

Scarlet Weather

The Game is Afoot!
    Years
  • Now that is weird... but I have to say, being a lover of old fairy-tales and retellings, for the most part, I've gotta say that this does look pretty addicting. Where did you find it?

SBaby

Dungeon Master
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2015
    Yeah, he does look kind of like Naota. And unlike some main protagonists, he's not as boring. He loves flowers and claims to be able to understand them (for reasons that are revealed after the first episode).

The animation was done by Geneon (Disgaea, Samurai Champloo, etc...), and it looks kind of like FLCL meets an Atelier Anime (Hansel looks like an evil version of the main guy from Atelier Iris 2). The show itself was produced by Konami (I think). Also when the monsters die, it looks like something out of a video game. Whatever though, it's a really cute show.

Speaking of Atelier, the town Souta lives in could pass for a Nippon Ichi town. It's modern and everything, but the place looks sort of whimsical in itself.

I don't know if linking to it is ok, but if you type the name of it over at youtube, you'll find it. Just make sure you watch them in order, because it is an ongoing plot.

Last edited:

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
    Years
  • Well linking to youtube on here is alright, just not forums. Mostly because PC promoted anime watching [-kinda-] and its just like sending an AMV anyway.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2015
    I was just making sure it's alright before I do this. Anyway, I'll only link to the first part of Episode 1 on this post. I'm sure that anyone wanting to check it out can get to the rest from there. And guess what... It's SUBBED!!! Yay!

Looks like they removed the video from youtube. But it'll probably be back eventually.

So, what do you think?

Last edited:

Hayate

Freelance Hero.
    Years
  • Eh, if I was about 6 years younger I might have liked it ^^" I don't like those "faity-telling" thingies, and especially not when the characters are this young. If I want to see some fantasy/magic thingy I prefer anime like Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha or something...but, I can imagine it must be fun for kids.

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
    Years
  • Well, me being a fan of chibi anime thinks its good. It sort of rminds me of Digi Charat Panyo Panyo. Its just cute like that. I might continue watching, I havnt decided still ^^'

Scarlet Weather

The Game is Afoot!
    Years
  • I'll be a crazy nutcase (redundant, I know)... This is the best anime I've seen in a while! I have to admit, the story was interesting. I want to see more. Thanks!

Edit: Oddness. I just checked out the wikipedia page... apparently, Akazukin isn't just one series: it's two. Or rather, there are two different versions of the same story, one for OAV and one for TV. The OAV came first, and it's the same story in terms of plot, with minor differences concerning characters. However, the OAV cuts out the "Sweet Phones", and the villains, instead of being bizarre insect-thingies, are usually wolves of the same race as Val who have chosen to serve Cendrillion-sama for one reason or another. The monsters from that version, apparently, have an almost "undead" feel and give you the impression that they're just a wolf's skin stretched out over something. Yeah, bizarre.

Last edited:

SBaby

Dungeon Master
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2015
    I'll be a crazy nutcase (redundant, I know)... This is the best anime I've seen in a while! I have to admit, the story was interesting. I want to see more. Thanks!

Edit: Oddness. I just checked out the wikipedia page... apparently, Akazukin isn't just one series: it's two. Or rather, there are two different versions of the same story, one for OAV and one for TV. The OAV came first, and it's the same story in terms of plot, with minor differences concerning characters. However, the OAV cuts out the "Sweet Phones", and the villains, instead of being bizarre insect-thingies, are usually wolves of the same race as Val who have chosen to serve Cendrillion-sama for one reason or another. The monsters from that version, apparently, have an almost "undead" feel and give you the impression that they're just a wolf's skin stretched out over something. Yeah, bizarre.

The OVA was made before the series came out. It's similar in concept, but the plot is somewhat darker than the Anime series, as you stated.

Scarlet Weather

The Game is Afoot!
    Years
  • Well, I just now realized that I didn't have to say anything... all your screenshots were from the OVA. (Which my brain inverted to OAV for no apparent reason. 0_o). I'm kinda bummed because most of the episodes are now gone from youtube... and did the OVA have more then the one episode? That was dissapointing. What I really liked in the OVA was that Val was shown to have more humanlike characteristics (using his paws as hands), and Hansel had a higher, more childlike voice then the TV series version. The sweet phones scream "gratuitous marketing add-in". Really, it makes you wonder, how is it that they have time to insert those cards and wait for the thing to appear before the villain attempts to decapitate them?

SBaby

Dungeon Master
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2015
    Yeah, this show is so new that it's often removed from youtube. But it'll probably be re-uploaded by someone else in the near future though. This is like the third time it's happened, so... It'll probably be back. In the meantime, I removed the link so nobody goes to the dead video.

Anyway, I just did notice that the pics were primarily from the OVA. I think the only one that wasn't was the one of the two lackeys at the bottom. But both of the series' are awesome though.

Back