• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What is Brock?

Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2012
    I'm just one man, I can't do this by myself. I need to know the answer to the great question, for I cannot continue life blissfully unaware of the many mysteries surrounding it. I've been shunned aside by many, often ignoring my plead for an answer I'm often cast away by society. The question I speak of? That question is this....

Of what nationality is Brock from Pokemon? There is evidence to suggest that he may be Japanese, African American, and some are bold enough to even proclaim that he is indeed mexican!

C'mon folks we gotta figure this out.

Emo Pikachu

Pika, pikachu...[/cry]-emocut-
    Years
  • I'm just one man, I can't do this by myself. I need to know the answer to the great question, for I cannot continue life blissfully unaware of the many mysteries surrounding it. I've been shunned aside by many, often ignoring my plead for an answer I'm often cast away by society. The question I speak of? That question is this....

Of what nationality is Brock from Pokemon? There is evidence to suggest that he may be Japanese, African American, and some are bold enough to even proclaim that he is indeed mexican!

C'mon folks we gotta figure this out.

But of course, he's emo! Yeah, way to copy my name. :|

I've never pondered this before, but I'll say he's Japanese with a good tan. ;D

Rioku_Zanketa

...::Ultimate Warrior::...
    Years
  • he's most liklely japanese...I always thought the eyes symbolized how japenese poples' eyes are,and the hair....it kinda reminds me of a japanese strong swordsmith..

that's my opinion,anyways...

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    Thats what I've always thought myself.
    I assumed he was asian because of the eyes.
    Because those types of eyes often symbolize asians in cartoons, and of course in anime as well sometimes.

Years
  • Let's keep civil, but I like this line of thought. Anyhow, I'm going with Emo Pikachu's answer, as Japanese men are really pale or really tan (don't ask how I know that). At the time of the series, it was allowed to be Japanese, so they used the ethnicity archetypes for their characters, with few exceptions (Giovanni, I guess).

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    The eyes are the tell: those eyes traditionally mark an Asian in anime (at least from what I've seen, and I've seen quite a bit).

Years
  • I would think that, but the series at the start was very insular (i.e., very Japanese) and same goes with the ethnicities of the cast as everyone was pale or Asiatic (with exceptions, like Surge). That has since changed, however. Since Brock was made at this time, dark-skinned Japanese just fits. But that's me.

Max210

Ultimate P\/\/ /\/3|2Z!
    Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2014
    I think Grim is right. He was born in Kanto...

EDIT:@Grim: Dude... at the beginning of Movie nine, they show earth and zoom in somewhere in the Pacific, I think

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 23, 2007
    Well, technically, they are all Japanese. There are many characters in anime who have the dark skin tone. This adds more to the slight 'outsider' effect. I can think of a few examples like in Gatekeepers (Balba) and in Sailormoon (Sailorpluto)

CHaRiSMa

Watching Celty chase bad guys
    Years
  • I agree with Omnireaper. If that's not correct then I agre with Cristophe, I mean it is a japanese anime. But if you ask me the animtaors didn't really consider this stuff when they were designing Brock. So he can verywell be asian, african american, native american...

anakin

resigned
    Years
    • Seen Jun 22, 2013
    Hey if this site is about brock i may let you know i got a club that i need members in about brock. please come and join.

Back