• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Vba - God Awful Slow!

dstaley

Closet Pokemon Geek
Years
  • Sometimes while running a GBA game in VisualBoy Advance, it gets horridly slow, like, 60% slower. This seems to be totally random, and I can't think of anything that would contribute to it. I have a GREAT pc, Dual Core AMD 64 1.6Ghz, 1GB Ram.

Years
  • You must have an amazingly slow computer, but there is the throttle. You can use the throttle to dictate the percentage you want to maintain.

You can find the throttle under "Options" and then "Frame skip."

Also, make sure your "Priority" is set to "Highest."

Tip: If you want to go around 100%, type 105% under the "Custom" option.

WARNING: Using the throttle increases frame skip, but increases performance.

linkinpark187

Computer Tech
    Years
  • do you have any filters on? if so, turn them off. i have an AMD Athlon 2500+ 1.8 ghz with 512 mgs of ram and a nVidia GeForce FX 5500 256mg video card, and VBA works perfect fine for me. if you need help with anything else on VBA or any other emulators, just let me know.

PikachuMan

Pikachu Fanatic
    Years
    • Seen Aug 10, 2014
    I'm not sure a lot of people have the same problem as you do.
    I don't and I don't have all that fancy stuff in my CPU.
    I just have the same old GateWay. Not very fancy. I don't know about the memory in my stuff, so I can't tell you what I have to see if we have differences. Sorry.

Years
    • Seen Aug 14, 2021
    vba 1.8.0 b3 is perfect, but not frame skip 0. Mines is AMD Athlon xp 2000+ 1.67 Ghz, 512 ram

EDIT: Yesterday my chip broke so it AMD Duron(tm) 800 Mhz 512 of ram. Vba 180 is slow on gba but not gb/gbc.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 25, 2007
    my pc is amd3000 1gb of ram and an invidia 512 display adapter and i have a lot of problems to wuth the v1.8 beta 3.now i play on vbalink.i'ts an amazing emulator!

Skeetendo Inc.

The REAL Pokémon Company
    Years
  • vba 1.8.0 b3 is perfect, but not frame skip 0. Mines is AMD Athlon xp 2000+ 1.67 Ghz, 512 ram

EDIT: Yesterday my chip broke so it AMD Duron(tm) 800 Mhz 512 of ram. Vba 180 is slow on gba but not gb/gbc.

I've noticed this to, that is why its called Beta :P There is something wrong in the program, try what I recommended and download 1.7.2, that should fix the problem!

dstaley

Closet Pokemon Geek
    Years
  • And if that doesn't work, I recommend getting VBALink or NO$GBA. Both of these emulators are much faster than the normal VisualBoyAdvance emulator.

Sadly, both of these experienced slowdowns on my computer. These slowdowns aren't permanent, and seem to be random. I've moved off from the emulator scene as I have been trying to beat the Elite Four on Pokemon Diamond >>'

Years
    • Seen Aug 14, 2021
    Since my computer is slow, vba 1.7.2 has slow motion in some games. I'm getting AMD athlon 64 processor 3000+ 512 of ram and ATI card. My current video is All-in-wonder Radeon. Stephen need to get vba 180b3, he has no internet, and he's tired of slow motion, His sys is Pentium(r) 4 cpu 2.66 512 of ram, but I don't kow his video system.

SytheXP

Net Labs/UG Founder
    Years
  • Personally I use normal vba but also have no$gba and vbalink but also you dont really need the sound on so turn it off it helps speed it up. Thats an option. I keep mine off and mine runs to fast.

Years
    • Seen Oct 14, 2016
    One thing i've noticed, is the sound. If you have sound on, it runs at an average speed, when you put it on mute it goes about 50% slower and when you turn it off, it goes about 150% faster. Maybe you should check your sound settings.

Years
    • Seen Aug 14, 2021
    Now I hae amd athlon 64 3200+ 2 ghz. I have 3 vbas, I down two from vbalink. and I have vba 1.8.0b3. When you link, It slow.

Back