• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The mononame challenge!

bilzandpap

Who DOESN'T love Conkeldurr???
Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2019
    The goal is to get through the game with only Pokemon whose names start with the same letter. You get to choose the letter.

Simple enough right?

RULES:
    - You may catch a Pokemon to be traded for a Pokemon with your letter. In an "A" challenge in Sinnoh, you may catch a Machop to trade for Abra.

- You may catch a Pokemon to be evolved into a Pokemon with your letter. In a "W" challenge in Unova, you may catch a Patrat to evolve into Watchog.

- You may not evolve a Pokemon that has your letter into a Pokemon that does not have your letter. In an "S" challenge, you may not evolve your Shellder into Cloyster, but you may evolve your Slowpoke into Slowbro.

- You must have a finalized team when challenging the elite four/final battle. In an "H" challenge, you may not challenge the final battle or elite four with Zweilous on your team if it has not yet evolved into Hydreigon.

- You may only have an HM slave that does not have your letter if there are NO pokemon with your letter that can learn a certain move.

- The only exception to the above rule is if the Pokemon into which your Pokemon is evolving will later evolve into a Pokemon whose name starts with your letter. In an "S" challenge, you may evolve Slakoth into Vigoroth as Vigoroth will later evolve into Slaking.

- You may hack in a number of Pokemon (at level 5) at the very beginning of the game that meet the above circumstances for each Gym where no Pokemon that meets the above circumstances is available. ALL HACKED POKEMON MUST HAVE LEGAL MOVES AND ABILITIES. In a Unova "X" challenge, you may hack in eight Natu at level 5 at the beginning of the game as you will have eight badges prior to being able to recieve Xatu.

- You may not have a whole team of the same Pokemon, and you must have a team of six when entering the Pokemon League. With the exception of the "X" challenge, that is, in the "X" challenge you may have a team of six Xatu. If this is impossible, you may hack/trade in as many Pokemon as you need. It pays to plan things out.

- Legendaries are permitted but may not be hacked/traded in.

- If a Pokemon is available at a certain point but for some reason cannot be obtained, you may hack in that Pokemon at a level equal to the lowest level on your team.

- You may hack/trade in Pokemon from the national dex

- OPTIONAL: You should name yourself an in-game name that starts with (or has multiple of) the letter that you are playing with

- Post an update whenever you can, but I'm not too concerned about updates. You are encouraged to add screenshots after Gyms if you are using an emulator and can use PrtSc, but screenshots are optional.

- In B/R/G/Y:
    Beat your rival as the Champion

- In FR/LG:
    Beat your rival as the Champion in his more powerful form

- In G/S/C/HG/SS:
    Beat Lance, or Red if you want to make it harder

- In R/S:
    Beat Steven

- In E:
    Beat Wallace, or Steven if you want to make it harder

- In D/P/P:
    Beat Cynthia

- In B/W:
    Beat Ghetsis, or Alder if you want to make it harder

I'm pretty sure that covers it.

In-game name:
    Letter:
    Game:
    Planned team:
    Hack/traded Pokemon:
    Comments: (this is where you put what your goals will be, if your game gives options - see above)

My sign up:

EDIT: Decided I'd rather do Black and White, and change my letter to V to make it a bit harder.
    In-game name: Victor
    Letter: V
    Game: Black
    Planned team: Vanilluxe, Virizion, Vibrava, Vespiquen, Vigoroth, Vileplume
    Hack/traded Pokemon: Female Combee, Slakoth, Oddish, Trapinch
    Comments: I may trade in Vibrava for Volcarona if available. The first legal Pokemon I can obtain is Vanillite after four badges so... yeah. I'm aiming to beat Ghetsis.

Challengers:
    Spoiler:

Champions:
    Spoiler:

EDIT: Ultimate is now available, basically play through all the games with Pokemon of the same letter. You don't have to do the generations in order. Also: Super-Epic is now available, basically play through the same game with each letter. You don't have to do the letters in order. Finally, Super-Epic-Ultra-Mega-Ultimate is when you complete an Ultimate with every single letter, you don't have to do the ultimates in order. If you will challenge one of these epic challenges, just add it in your comments. After completing one game or something, you may decide to continue through with an Ultimate, etc.

Ultimate Champions:
    Spoiler:

Super-Epic Champions:
    Spoiler:

Super-Epic-Ultra-Mega-Ultimate Champions:
    Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
  • In-game name: Chris
    Letter: M
    Game: Crystal
    Planned team:
    Spr_2c_154.gif
    Spr_2c_068.gif
    Spr_2c_241.gif
    Spr_2c_198.gif
    Spr_2c_089.gif
    Spr_2c_105.gif

Hack/traded Pokemon: Grimer and Murkrow, since neither are obtainable until you reach Kanto.

Seeds Horizon

Gotta love that feeling~
    Years
  • Sounds like fun, will do it on my Crystal version (was going to do it on Silver..but meh)

Ingame name: Ash XD
    Letter: "T"
    Planned team: Totodile, not sure about what else.
    Hacked/Traded: none most likely.

Last edited:

bilzandpap

Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2019
    Ingame name: Ash XD
    Letter: "T"
    Planned team: Totodile, not sure about what else.
    Hacked/Traded: none most likely.

Just curious, will your ingame name be "Ash XD" or "Ash" and you just put the XD for fun

Okay, my first update.

Got Tepig as starter and beat Cheren and Bianca.
    Got the Pokedex and the Poke Balls.
    Hacked in all the Pokemon I was going to, at level 5, and released Tepig.
    Got to Accumula.

Not a long update, but it's something.

Last edited:

MSIMMe

Challenger ^^
    Years
  • Can I still join?

In-game name: Mike
    Letter:M
    Game: White
    Planned team: Mienshao,Musharna,Metagross,Mamoswine,Magmortar,Machamp
    Hack/traded Pokemon:Mienfoo(Late in the game),Beldum,Swinub,Magby and Machop(will hack evolution of these two too)
    Comments: (this is where you put what your goals will be, if your game gives options - see above) Alder I must beat

bilzandpap

Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2019
    Can I still join?

In-game name: Mike
    Letter:M
    Game: White
    Planned team: Mienshao,Musharna,Metagross,Mamoswine,Magmortar,Machamp
    Hack/traded Pokemon:Mienfoo(Late in the game),Beldum,Swinub,Magby and Machop(will hack evolution of these two too)
    Comments: (this is where you put what your goals will be, if your game gives options - see above) Alder I must beat

Okay, slight problem there. You may only hack in one Pokemon as you can catch Munna after 1 badge.

But I added you.

I also did some research and found out that on White, Mienshao and Musharna are the only M's that you can get before the Elite Four, meaning that your elite four team would only consist of 3 Pokemon, the one you hacked in and those two. Meaning you'll need a lot of Munnas. Maybe for White I suggest doing another letter, because 5 of your team needs to be Munnas and Mienfoos according to the hacking rules.

My V update:

Got all the way to the first Gym and beat Cress with Oddish's Absorb.
    My team is now level 10-14.

Years
  • In-game name: Arrrrrg
    Letter:A
    Game:Gold
    Planned team:ariados, ampharos, arbok, arcanine, alakazam, aerodactyl
    Hack/traded Pokemon:the only way is after lance which i need all six of my pokemon so i can't, so i'll hack the poor guy in so he can fight along side of me after the first gym
    Comments:aiming for red, in this order ill get spinark, aerodactyl, mareep, abra, ekans at the goldenrod game center, growlithe (plz correct any mistakes if i can't catch these pokemons in this order)

Back