• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Some scrawl-space.

Daydream

[b]Boo.[/b]
Years
  • Scrawl-space simply because I'm scrawling down a nagging idea.
    ---
    I have the basic idea for a story that takes the general mechanics of the Pokemon world and turns them upside down (yes, I realise what a cliché that sounds). Pokemon being the sentient beings; living, working and trading in much a similar to what we do. Most Pokemon are unaware of even the existence of humans, which is to the benefit of a particular character.

The start of the story begins with us being introduced to the leader of a nation of Pokemon; an intelligent middle-aged Slaking, who is hosting an annual fancy dress ball at some historic castle or palace. The Slaking's adivsor/chancellor notifies him of a problem with some of their "workers," that requires his immediate attention. When this problem is introduced to the Slaking the reader becomes aware that these workers are, in fact; human slaves. But not the kind of human we are, a kind whose intelligence either never existed or was squashed out of them when they became the mindless drones required to do menial tasks and heavy labour.

Another at the ball discovers this secret and is horrifed into some sort of action (I'm hazy myself on exact details of what will happen but I have the character planned out in my mind).

---

I'm not sure whether I'll have all Pokemon gaining sentience, as some races may be needed to serve as kinds of common animals (most aquatic Pokemon, birds, insects) so some Pokemon might even be devolved form the creatures they are today.

What I mean to gain by posting my idea here is whether or not it sounds feasible to others and whether I could write something noteworthy out of it. Any help or criticism is greatly appreciated. =)

Last edited:

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • I'm not sure why you think this would be a cliché, but I'd like to assure you it most certainly doesn't sound like it could be. Sure, the "humans and Pokémon aren't aware of each other" part's been explored in fanfiction, and Acey has had Pokémon battle with humans. However, Pokémon actually enslaving humans to do their menial work? It's actually a good, fresh idea. In fact, it answers one of the questions that's always nagged at my mind of why Pokémon, who are clearly far more powerful than a human could ever hope to be with or without technology, never just laid the smackdown on the human race and became the dominant species of the planet. So, you end up posing all kinds of questions about sentience, which should lend a rather interesting layer to your fanfiction. I have a feeling you've already planned out (or will be planning out) detailing the answers to said questions (like, "What makes a dominant race?" and "What prevents another species from annihilating us?") anyway, so I'm not sure how much help you'll actually need with pulling this off.

In any case, looking forward to seeing it. Good luck.

Daydream

[b]Boo.[/b]
    Years
  • I just thought the whole role-reversal thing would be a popular and widely-used concept, maybe that was just my coffee-injected, late night/early morning brain doing the thinking. It certainly helped me come up with this idea; the thought of Slaking in a toga fueled it forward. XD

I suppose "help" might have been a bad word to use? I just wondered whether others, more knowledgable in the ways of fanfic, thought it could work. But I think I'll have a go at this and plan it properly, (although I tend to disregard my plans quite thoroughly) which means I need to dig out my journal from the precariously stacked pile of papers sitting on the shelf under my desk. Hopefully I'll get something that resembles a prologue and chapter pulled together by the end of the week.

Back