• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Guns in Pokemon Fanfiction? Real world mixed with pokemon?

Years
What do you feel about guns in pokemon fanfiction? Do you hate it? How about real world locations in pokemon fanfiction. Like if somebody would write Johto being in Japan, along with the rest of the regions.
What is you opinion on the gun and location subject, I'm very curious.
BTW: Kanto is a real region of Japan.

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
Years
  • Age 27
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 10, 2023
I've read a few works with guns in it. One specific example was the Legendarian Chronicles, whose author's name is eluding me right now. Now wait, it was Chibi Pika's work. Yeah that's right! The fic centralizes around Team Rocket, and they happen to use a lot of guns. I mean it's fine as long as it's not too overpowering, like the way this fic was written. The grunts use guns, which makes more sense than them using stupid Raticates and Zubats, and the higher-ups battle Pokemon more. They still use weapons, but it made sense. So no, I don't hate it.

Real world locations? Well, Unova is basically New York. How do you think that would work? The Empire State Building isn't exactly there, nor the Statue of Liberty, and blah blah blah. But it doesn't really bother me. The setting, to me, isn't a big deal. As long as the writer can portray a scene correctly, without causing a wreck, it's fine. The writing's more important. I'm more worried about prose than a setting. A few fics have Pokemon in the real world, like a dude was from Texas and had a Tauros. So not a big deal.

Cutlerine

Gone. May or may not return.
Years
To be honest, if an evil team doesn't use guns, I tend to start asking myself what they actually hope to accomplish. They don't in-game because, well, if they did there wouldn't be any Pokémon battles; if these organisations existed in real life, I would think they'd use a mixture of Pokémon and firearms.

I mean, I always have them do that in my stories. Otherwise they're just not a credible threat.

As for blending the real and Pokémon worlds, I doubt anyone would have a problem with it. I've been doing it for years and no one's told me they hate it. I've created a history of war between Kanto and Spain, an accidental involvement in WWII for Hoenn, a Rotom from England who travels the world stealing art... To be honest, placing the regions in the real world as nations as their own gives you a lot of scope and a very rich universe.

F.A.B.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
How long has it been since I've posted something fan fiction related xD?

But anyone who's read my (really old) works knows that I do like to mix Pokemon, firearms, and real world locations. My OC Lisa is from South Carolina, and more recently she's been carrying around a .44 and using it quite a bit, probably more than her Pokemon. I've even had her stay at actual, real life hotels in the US.

I also like adding real world companies, products, and automobiles in particular. Cars never seem to get much love in Pokemon fan fiction. Besides, even in the world of Pokemon, girls with guns and fast cars are in a class of awesomeness all their own.

Back