• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Culture & Media thoughts/improvements

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
  • Title is fail, I know, but I've been spending most of the day revising 'normative legal thought in jurisprudence' and a bit of it seeing a 3D experimental dance film, so I'm all intellectualised out for the time being.

This is pretty much the place where you can vent about C&M, if you wish. If you have any ideas on how to improve activity, then feel free to post them here and I'll take them into consideration. Any events/socials/gatherings/other synonyms for the aforementioned words also should go here. If you just want to give feedback as well, feel free to post it in here.

If you're stuck about what to say but still want to say SOMETHING, then you can fill out this questionnaire below, if you want. Most of it's c/pd from my blog, but not everyone reads it, and that was more for an audience that DIDN'T frequent C&M, rather than the people that do. Here it is:

• How often do you frequent C&M?
    • What do you like about C&M
    • What don't you like about C&M?
    • Any ideas for how to improve activity in C&M?
    Contrary to what the questionnaire my imply, I do have some ideas on how to boost activity and create meaningful discussions. However, my final university exams are coming up in a few weeks, so most of the ideas will be on the backburner until late May/early June, unfortunately. I'm probably going to do a revamp of the rules though.

So... have at it, everyone!

Also, I get a chance to sticky something. YAY! STICKIED!

Years
  • I check 5 or 6 sections whenever I log on and C&M is one of them. I don't always post anything because there isn't always a lot of activity and there might not be many posts or threads since the last time I checked. I like some of the topics that have come up in the past that weren't about specific musicians/bands/movies/tv shows/etc. (although I'll post in those if they're ones that I like) but more about things regarding media in general or specific aspects of media.

There's one thing that I'm a little confused on. How does/will the 'culture' part of Culture & Media apply here? Culture is such a broad term and I think it covers a lot of things that other sections cover as well. For example, art is a big part of culture, but we have a separate art section.

The rules could be made more streamlined. Even though I make sure to read the rules for sections I visit I'll admit I haven't read the posts attached rules here and just assume I'm not breaking any rules.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • More 'general' threads about media? Got it! ^_^

'Culture', in this sense, I believe refers to 'artistic works' but not paintings and sculptures and other forms of 'art'... if that makes sense. So culture = music, film, TV, theatre, literature, sport and stuff like that. I'd rather it be known as an Entertainment forum, but there was apparently a massive brouhaha about changing the old name of 'Other Entertainment' to this new name, which I'm not going to resurface for the sake of semantics.

A new rules thread will be unveiled later tonight. Watch this space ;-)

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
    Years
  • How often do you frequent C&M?
    Never, there is nothing here I can post on that I really know anything about.

What do you like about C&M?
    You moderating it Mr Cat Dog, is the only reason I would visit it.

What don't you like about C&M?
    There is nothing I can really post on because I don't know anything about the topics.

Any ideas for how to improve activity in C&M?
    MAKE THREADS ABOUT 90s CARTOONS and you'll see all the gang of the irc here, also awarding an emblem or two would make more people come here. And then spam everywhere you can with advertisements for C&M.

ALSO MY 1000th POST!!!

Thomas

HAIL HYDRA!
    Years
  • Totally missed this thread, I had so much going on this weekend, I was barely on PC.

I wish the specific thread would be more active, but it seems like the forum isn't active enough for that just yet. If we post some threads with broader topics...we might be able to up activity and then bring in more specific topics when activity rises. Some of the specific threads I've made are just dying off, but maybe I'll make some broader topics ones soon.

Some things that I could think of that would increase activity:
    -Like I said before, broader topic threads
    -Live posting events (Have an event where everyone posts during a specific television show...something popular like Glee or American Idol or something).
    -A Chit-Chat Thread

That is all I can think of off the top of my head :/

Years
  • I'm not sure, but I think a lot of C&M's threads that actually see some activity are some very broad ones while very specific ones tend do die quickly since this is just such a huge field and everyone has different preferences. What we need are more middle-of-the-road threads, and I think recently some of these have started popping up and activity has been increasing in general, even though it's still comparatively low. I think one reason for this are of course your efforts, another the recent abolition of the social groups system which took a lot of potential discussion away from C&M.

I'm not sure if my observations (or what I believe to be observations) make sense, but one thing is for sure: You've been doing good work in reviving and reforming this subforum so far and put an admirable amount of effort into it, keep it up!

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • @vaporeon7: I've got two emblem contests planned, and you're more than welcome to make specific topics about Rugrats, but I'm not sure how much activity they'll get.

@Thomas: Live posting threads are definitely interesting. I'll certainly look into that, but it probably won't be implemented until the start of the next US TV season in September/October. Maybe a trial run for the finales of Glee/American Idol, to see how it works.

A C&M DCC I have reservations against: essentially it would cannibalize the 'What are you reading'/'Last movie you watched' threads, and I don't want to get rid of them. I understand there would be scope for more stuff e.g. ZOMG! I bought some Lady Gaga tickets! For the most part, I don't think there'd be enough of THAT activity to justify a separate DCC. Thanks for bringing it up, though.

@mondays suck: Thanks for the nice feedback. Your observations make perfect sense.

Back