• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Free [Legal] Music Thread

Thomas

HAIL HYDRA!
Years
  • The Free [Legal] Music Thread
    Post some of your favorite free songs to share with everyone, the legal way.

Note: Patchisou Yutohru has pre-approved this thread.

There are a lot of ways to get music for absolutely no money these days. With digital music on the rise, many artists are giving away free tracks or even entire albums on their websites or through third party websites. A lot of times the artist or record company just wants to give you a taste for the artist so you will buy the whole album or some artists are choosing to give away tracks for free (and you can pay for premium album packages). The point it, today it is much easier to grow your music collection, and taste, without having to drop tons of money on CD's or MP3's.

Rules:
    1) Do not post any links to YouTube videos or any other song that you would normally have to pay for.
    2) Do not link to any torrent/download sites that has [illegal] song downloads.
    3) If the song is only free for a certain amount of time, make sure you note it and post an expiration date if possible.
    4) Please use the search tool to make sure no one has posted a particular song in the past.
    5) Don't just post a song, post about it (opinion, history, other songs you like by the artist).
    6) [Just a tip, not a rule] Post the album art if you like (in a spoiler if it is too big)
    7) Use the form!
    8) Make sure the link that you provide is to the exact page of the song download. Linking to a main page of a site is no help.
    9) This thread is for music download, not music listening links.
    Form:
    Song Name:
    Artist Name:
    Album Name (optional):
    Where can I download it: Site name here.com (make sure you link to the exact page of the song download!)
    Expiration Date (if applicable):
    Examples posts:
    Song Name: Gimme Sympathy
    Artist Name: Metric
    Album Name: Fantasies
    Where can I download it?: Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Gimme-Sympath..._1_31?ie=UTF8&s=dmusic&qid=1302818684&sr=1-31)

31RxfibmKDL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

One of my favorite Canadian bands, Emily Haines has such an amazing voice!
    Song Name: Got Nuffin
    Artist Name: Spoon
    Album Name: Transference
    Where can I download it?: Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Got-Nuffin/dp/B0033FRFIO/ref=sr_1_32?ie=UTF8&s=dmusic&qid=1302818684&sr=1-32)

51Ws2UjtI0L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

If you like this song you need to go buy the song "The Underdog".
    Examples of sites that offer free legal music:
    -iTunes (Free singles of the week; Discover downloads)
    -Amazon.com (Free singles)
    -Paste.com (Free MP3 section)
    -Hypem.com (Portal to blogs that post free MP3's - Some may not be legal - beware before posting)
    -Freeindie.com (Free indie MP3's)

Last edited:

moments.

quixotic
    Years
  • Artist Name: she
    Album Name:
    Chiptek, Emit and Exude
    Where can I download it: shemusic.org

Sorry I left out the song name from the formatting, the link is actually to a list of multiple albums for free from the artist's official website. The music is electronic primarily, but it specifically is chip-tek which use like 8 bit sounds and sampling from a Gameboy and other retro gaming devices to produce music. It's not your usual music, but there is some really good stuff available here.

Years
  • Song Name: Lying Among Shadows
    Artist Name: Light Among Shadows
    Album Name: At The Gates of Dawn
    Where Can I Download It?: www.jamendo.com

Light Among Shadows is a Spanish Heavy Metal band, but this album is English. Lead by a female artist, the heavy tone and instrumental pieces really make this album. The rest of the album can be downloaded on Jamendo, as I used this song because it is my personal favorite.

Thomas

HAIL HYDRA!
    Years
  • Song Name: O.N.E.
    Artist Name: Yeasayer
    Album Name (optional): Odd Blood
    Where can I download it: Freeindie.com (http://freeindie.com/post/4027800499/yeasayer)
    Expiration Date (if applicable): n/a

Awesome song I heard listening to Pandora, and then today I found the song on freeindie.com. There are two other songs there as well, so download all of them! :)

Numbers

Say my name
    Years
  • Artist Name: Wax
    Album Name: Scrublife
    Where can I download it:
    http://www.djbooth.net/index/mixtapes/entry/wax-scrublife-mixtape/

Wax is a lot different to other rappers. (For one thing he sings and plays acoustic guitar too haha) He doesn't just rap about bling, cars and dealing drugs.
    He uses his versatility to do what some rappers these days only wish they could; he can make you laugh, bring tears to your eyes, motivate you or even make you think about life.
    In his more serious songs you can really hear how passionate he is and how making music really is all he wants to do in life.

Songs I'd recommend off this particular album are; "Mary", "Music & Liqour" and "Old Ways"

Thomas

HAIL HYDRA!
    Years
  • The one thing I love about Rap is all of the pop culture references. This guy is pretty good! I didn't listen to the whole mix tape (cause it's pretty long. XD) but I really liked what I heard. The ones that I liked were pretty much the ones you recommended and "Red".

I'm surprised this guy isn't more popular...cause this dude could be on the radio.

Numbers

Say my name
    Years
  • The one thing I love about Rap is all of the pop culture references. This guy is pretty good! I didn't listen to the whole mix tape (cause it's pretty long. XD) but I really liked what I heard. The ones that I liked were pretty much the ones you recommended and "Red".

I'm surprised this guy isn't more popular...cause this dude could be on the radio.

Didn't expect anyone to actually check him out if I'm honest haha. Thanks :)
    I wish more people would check out his music as like you said, he's pretty good!
    I don't listen to that much rap but I hope this guy makes it big.

Good idea for a thread btw. Hopefully a lot more people post some music as I'm keen to find new artists/bands :D

Thomas

HAIL HYDRA!
    Years
  • Didn't expect anyone to actually check him out if I'm honest haha. Thanks :)
    I wish more people would check out his music as like you said, he's pretty good!
    I don't listen to that much rap but I hope this guy makes it big.

Good idea for a thread btw. Hopefully a lot more people post some music as I'm keen to find new artists/bands :D
    Yeah! I was really hoping this thread would take off! And of course I would check out the song! :D But yeah, keep posting stuff that you find.

Artist Name: Ace Reporter
    Album Name (optional): Project threesixfive
    Where can I download it: http://myacereporter.com/downloads-lists/

Ace Reporter was in a band called the State for 7 years, and then in 2009 they broke up. This guy Chris Snyder started Ace Reporter (which I'm pretty sure is just him). He started the 365 project and vowed to write and record a new song every day in 2010. Well it is now 2011 and he finished the project. All of these songs are on his website (the link above is for his "Best Of" page, but you will still be able to find all the songs from that list). I've listened to and downloaded some of the ones from the "Best Of" list and they are great! Check em out!

WriteThemWrong

LetMeHearYourPokemon's___ Voice
    Years
  • This is a website that offers free CD listening. It changes frequently so there isn't one specific artist, but they do have the Beastie Boys' new album right now and you all should check it all.

Artist Name: Beastie Boys
    Album Name: Hot Sauce Committee part 2
    Where can I download it:
    Spinner.com

Thomas

HAIL HYDRA!
    Years
  • @WriteThemWrongs: Eh, I kinda meant for this to be more a music download thread, but I guess I should have clarified. *adds to rules*

But anyway...yeah...their new album is pretty cool. I think it's awesome that they've been around this long and continue to stay relevant...but they are getting a little old to fight for their right to party. XD

Back