• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Corei Quest v2

Years
Thus begins my review…

Chapter 19…

pokéballs

Should be capitalized, AD. Got quite a lot of these, btw.

D'ya mean Shadow?

Chapter 20…

God, AD. Were ya tired when you wrote this chapter…?

Try 'ignored'.

ZOMG!! How dare you spell Lavender wrong?!

Meant to be 'actually'.

Chapter 21…

Captain Commander Hurris Caine

Pure lol moment. Gotta love ya sense of humour, AD.

"Smithers, Langlie… status repor- what the devil?!" he gasped as he say their guinea pigs

Shouldn't it be "… saw their…" ?

Exeggcutor

Should be without the 'c'.

side."The

Simple spacing error here.

Chapter 22…

Laveneder

Oh noooez! Ya spelt Lavender wrong again…

I normally do it like this: 'team-mate'.

But you can do it however you like.

Pigdeotto

Seriously, AD… Pidgeotto is one of my favourite Flying types and you spell the name wrong?

Meant to be 'merely'.

Raising his pokéball resignedly in perfect sync with Ricon, both trainers called out, "Return," as red capture beams issuing from the spheres sucked their occupants home.

Occupants'.

Try 'clot', AD.

Ah, AD. This is the best fic I've ever read. Grammar could be improved, but I could help you with that if you like. Just PM/email me and let me know. Anyway, it's an outstanding fic, and is written excellently as well. Keep up the good work.

Years
  • Seen Oct 19, 2013
SEASON TWO BEGINS!

Ah, well, Tiggs... I rile a lot of fans the wrong way with this fic. Hitmonchan fans... Pikachu fans... the list goes on.

Well... with no questions to make a new Starstruck special (I prefer to make them exclusive to each forum board I post on), we'll have to skip the formalities and jump head-in to season two, the longest of the fic.

Word of advice... please do not scream at the chapter list length. it'll be full of goodies!

Chapter List:

SEASON ONE

SEASON TWO

Chapter Twenty Three: Friend or Foe… THIS POST
Chapter Twenty Four: Paying His Dunes
Chapter Twenty Five: King of the Volcano
Chapter Twenty Six: Can You Take the Heat?
Chapter Twenty Seven: Belles of the Brawl
Chapter Twenty Eight: In Their Elemens
Chapter Twenty Nine: On Cloud Nine and a Half
Chapter Thirty: T.K.O.
Chapter Thirty One: I'll Tell You Snow Lies…
Chapter Thirty Two: Terror Valley
Chapter Thirty Three: The Living Legend
Chapter Thirty Four: Lightning's Second Strike
Chapter Thirty Five: Little Dude
Chapter Thirty Six: Wild about Safari!
Chapter Thirty Seven: Jungle Rumble!
Chapter Thirty Eight: Corei United
Chapter Thirty Nine: Haley's Ninja Way
Chapter Forty: Yin to My Yang
Chapter Forty One: Water Battle, Full Throttle
Chapter Forty Two: Anything But Normal
Chapter Forty Three: Roaring Waves, Yawning Shadows
Chapter Forty Four: Tricks of the Trade
Chapter Forty Five: The Wind and Mountains
Chapter Forty Six: Going Solo
Chapter Forty Seven: Battling the Sages
Chapter Forty Eight: Heroes of Corei

SEASON THREE

Chapter Twenty Three: Friend or Foe…​

<Check it out, guys> Crimson called out with a low appreciative whistle.

<Looks like you've finally evolved, Anuvi,> Ace said appreciatively.

<Thanks, Ace,> Anuvi replied cheerily, looking himself over in the mirror in the guest room of the Pokémon Centre, studying the way his cape of leaves projected out of his upper back and forelegs at acute angles to his body.

<And the ol' 'dex said they enable you to glide. I mean, how sweet is that?> Lavender told her friend appreciatively.

<Yeah,> the Squirrage agreed, studying his now violet eyes and powerfully coiled hind legs

<Three Flying types on a team,> Zen scowled from his regular corner, rolling his eyes. <Talk about trouble…what does Sapph wanna do, kill me?>

<Aww, don't be scared, widdle Zenny,> Anuvi chuckled, looking around at the Taebrawl with a sly grin tugging the corners of his slightly pointed face. <We won't murder ya that seriously during training…>

A split second later Squirrage went flying into the opposite wall, courtesy of a well placed punch from the Taebrawl's robotic fist to his kisser. Everybody else sweat dropped. Except Ace, of course.

<Your body may have evolved,> Zen growled, eyes closed and fist out. <But you've still got the brains of a stupid Rhyhorn.>

The door to the ward opened at that moment and in came the Pokémon's trainer, Sapph Manson. Grinning all around as he pulled on the red and black riding gloves Nurse Joy Jr had bequeathed onto him a month earlier, he looked round at his teammates: Crimson the Ledian, who'd been his first capture, Ace the Mawhoot, the militaristic Flying type whom he'd rescued in the rocky outskirts of Nightspark City, Zen the Taebrawl, a violent, cold Fighting type whose attempt to run the Pampa City dojo was thwarted by Sapph and Crimson two weeks ago, Lavender, the adorable yet blind Eevee whom Sapph had adopted from his friend Tony Parito, and the Pokémon he'd begun his journey with and was currently struggling to pull himself out of the wall - Anuvi, his newly evolved Squirrage.

Blinking twice in confusion as he looked over at his comical Grass type, he turned to the others and said, "Do I want to know how Anuvi's butt became part of the décor?"

<Nope,> the others piped up in unison.

<How's your hand, Sapph?> Crimson asked in a concerned voice, glancing at the hand that they all knew now was covered in electric burns, which after a week of treatment, still stung slightly.

"Shouldn't stop me travelling," Sapph quipped cheerfully as the door opened again, revealing an eleven year old girl with reddish blonde hair through which she dragged a comb.

Pausing to count the Pokémon in the room, she turned to Sapph with surprise in her goose grey eyes and asked "Hey, Sapph. Isn't somebody missing? Where's Silver?"

Silver was Sapph's Magnemite, who became an addition to the team after a battle with Sapph and his old Mogshex, who had been sent to his home in Cherrygrove Town as a gift to his little sister Emma.

Sapph turned to Haley and choked. Haley wore a light pink cotton shirt and a mid length denim skirt. A new locally made bag was slung over her left shoulder, made of a material similar to the cloaks Ricon Wingams, the Gym Leader had insisted they take with them. The light breeze that floated through the open ward window played with her longer than ever hair as she tied it back in a ponytail, leaving a fringe of bangs to cover her forehead.

"Sapph? You OK?" Haley asked, staring at Sapph weirdly.

"Uh- uhm… oh, yeah, the professor wanted to run some tests on him after the Thunder Rain incident," Sapph stammered, unsure what was going wrong with him all of a sudden. He'd been travelling through southern Corei with the young researcher-to-be for a little over a month already… why was he being skittish now?

"Oh, right… well, I'll be in the lobby waiting," Haley informed the boy trainer, backing out of the room.

"Y-yeah… sure," Sapph replied faintly, and as the door slid shut behind her, the room seemed to dim slightly.

Anuvi finally pulled himself free of the wall as brushing chippings out of his fur, smirked and said, <Are your hormones that hyper in the morning, Sapph?>

<What're hormones?> Lavender asked Anuvi innocently.

To avoid Anuvi saying something unnecessarily embarrassing and accurate, Sapph whipped out his pokéball and withdrew the Warrior Pokémon quickly, blushing furiously.

Smirking, Zen said, <Well, Lavender, hormones are basically what makes a guy act like a retarded wuss around ladies and make ladies prissy little know-it-alls when they're angry.>

<Oh,> Lavender said slowly. <I don't get it.>

"OK, then get this," Sapph said loudly, aggressively returning Zen as well. "Let's… GO!"

***​

"Are you sure you can't stay any longer?" Ricon asked his guests as the milled around the reception area of the Pokémon Centre, going over last minute preparations.

"Yeah," Sapph said calmly, securing the straps of his knapsack as he heaved it onto his shoulders.

"Remember… you're always welcome here," Nurse Joy told Haley as she cleared up her Pokémon's feeding bowls and packed them away. "So feel free to stop by!"

"But of course," Haley smiled, straightening up and giving the matron a big hug.

Whilst shaking Sapph's hand, Ricon asked the boy trainer in an undertone, "Say, you haven't seen Sky recently, have you?"

"No, I haven't," Sapph said, looking surprised. "Is she missing?"

"I hope not," Ricon said worriedly. "She didn't come home last night…"

"We'll keep a look out for her then," Sapph promised the Gym Leader as their handshake was broken.

"All right, Sapph," Haley said briskly, walking towards the two male trainers. "Shall we set off?"

"Yeah." Sapph agreed with a nod. Returning Lavender, Crimson and Ace, he turned to the older couple and said "Well, we'll be on our way then…"

"Good luck, Sapph!" Nurse Joy said as she and Ricon waved them off. "And you, Haley!"

"Say hello to Fuego for me!" Ricon added.

Sapph and Haley waved back as they set off towards the desert that separated them from their next venue, Appleburn City.

The duo's walk through the settlement was peaceful and uneventful. As they left the outskirts of Chinooka City behind them, Haley turned to Sapph and said, "Oh, yes… what was Ricon asking you about before we left?"

As Sapph began to open his mouth to answer, a loud, female sounding voice cried out, "There you guys are! I've been waitin' out here all day!"

There was a familiar brashness that the pair had no problem identifying. Looking up towards a small, wooded hillock, they saw a ten year old girl with her vermillion brown hair tied into a long single plait standing akimbo, a slightly impatient look on her face.

"S-SKY!" Sapph stammered, unsure of what he was seeing. "What are you doing here?"

"Waiting for you two, mate!" Sky replied cheerfully, readjusting the single feather that stuck out of her headband.

"OK, but why here?" Haley asked as they met up with her outside the woods.

"Well, I wouldn't be able to go with you guys if I'd hung around the city now, would I?"

"I don't believe this…" Sapph said faintly, sitting heavily on a tree stump. "Have you any idea how worried Ricon is right now?"

"Don't worry, don't worry!" Sky said flippantly. "I will tell him where I am… after we reach Appleburn City!"

"On the contrary," Haley said shortly. "You'll tell him right now… back in Chinooka!"

"Oh, yeah?" Sky said angrily. "And just who's gonna make me?"

As the two girls promptly got into an argument Sapph had no intention of breaking up, a soft whimper was borne on the breeze towards him. Sapph stood up abruptly, looking behind him towards the woods from which the soft-spoken plea had issued from.

"Well, Sapph? Say something!" Sky's voice cut across Sapph's preoccupation with the cry for help.

"Hunh? What?"

"Don't just stand there looking gormless, Sapph!" Haley yelled, rounding on the Johton trainer. "Back me up!"

"Uh, you handle this, Haley," Sapph muttered, sweat dropping as he backed away towards the trees. "I've got something to check out…"

And with that, Sapph turned and scarpered into the woods leaving the two fuming girls inhis wake.

"Sapph Manson! You coward… GET BACK HERE!" Haley yelled. Breathing heavily, she turned back to face Sky, whom she was surprised to see had a pokéball ready and enlarged in her fist.

"How about we decide with a battle?" Sky said cockily. "One-o'-one. I win, I stay with you two until we reach Appleburn. You win… I'll go home and leave you two lover birds alone!"

Haley spluttered as she went red with rage and embarrassment. Keen to send the nuisance packing, she picked a pokéball off her belt and enlarging it, said "Agreed! Let's go, Bubbles!"

***​

Sapph stopped running when he was a good distance away from the snarls of Haley and Sky and looked around him, listening hard. He was sure he was headed in the right direction, but it may take too long to search the woods by himself, no matter how much smaller that Everwood Forest it may have been…

Plucking off three pokéballs from his belt, he threw them into the air and called out, "Anuvi… Crimson… Ace…c'mon out!"

The Squirrage, Ledian and Mawhoot appeared in three blasts of white and assembled before Sapph; Ace perching upon a low branch of a nearby tree.

<What's the word, Sapph?> Anuvi said cheerfully, stretching his arms over his head as he limbered up.

"I need you three to scout the area for any Pokémon in trouble," Sapph said calmly, looking around them all.

<But, Sapph,> Crimson said uncertainly. <Isn't that the Pokémon Rangers' responsibility?>

"We may not have the time to wait for them to show up!" Sapph replied edgily. "Anyone spot it, let up a cry and assist in any way possible."

<Sir! Yes, sir!> Ace replied with a smart salute.

<Any idea what Pokémon we're looking for?> Anuvi asked, stopping his stretching exercises and looking at his trainer questionably.

"Uhm… not really," Sapph answered sheepishly, watching Anuvi and Crimson face-fault dramatically.

<Gee, that was helpful,> Anuvi scowled, rising to his feet and flickering out of sight.

<Leave it to us, Sapph!> Crimson assured his trainer as he fired up his delicate wings and took off into the branches. Ace nodded and spread her humungous wings and took off towards the sky above the trees.

"I'd better move too," Sapph muttered after watching them scatter. Releasing Lavender in a flash of white, he told her, "Lavender, I need you to keep your ears sharp for any sign of…"

<OW!> Lavender gasped, covering her ears with her paws. <What's that howling noise?>

"You heard it already?" Sapph asked quickly, surprised at how astute his Evolution Pokémon's hearing was.

<Yeah, can't you?> Lavender said in surprise, leading Sapph into the overgrowth. <It came from over here!>

"Lead on, Lavender!" Sapph cheered, chasing the small Normal type deeper into the woods.

***​

Silvery laughter rang through the clearing as a small orange puppy of sorts was slammed into a nearby boulder by the force of a vicious Slash attack. Yelping feebly, the small canine Pokémon dragged itself up onto its feet again, a look of mingled hate and helplessness deep in its eyes.

"That's the way, Terra! Now let's try a Crush Claw attack!" A girl who looked to be in her midteens shouted gleefully. Her long, jet black hair gleamed in the sunshine as her hazel eyes looked coldly upon the badly beaten Pokémon.

"You too, Sanda!" Another girl said in a voice that matched the first, her emotionless brown orbs leering at their hapless prey from beneath her red fringe.

The littler Pokémon staggered slightly as a pair of Terrotor closed in on her, their two-inch claws glowing golden yellow before laying into the poor doglike Pokémon with unwonted viciousness.

The canine Pokémon let out another feeble whine as it sank dejectedly into the sands, scars and bruises dotting it all over its body; from its orange and black striped pelt to its creamy white muzzle and chin all the way to its bushy white tail, which was currently flecked with red blood stains.

"Isn't it grand, Priscilla?" the redhead called to her cohort as the large Raccoon Pokémon leapt back towards their mistresses, the black expressionless eyes gazing down upon their punching bag with distaste. "That we have a Pokémon to practice on… and won't fight back?"

"I'll say, Drusilla!" Priscilla exclaimed with another silvery laugh. "It's bad enough we have to get saddled with that ratty Aunt Ellie's pet pooch… at least the mutt has its purposes!"

As the dialogue was going on, the firebrand got up shakily once more and, its hate overpowering its fear of repercussion, let loose a barrage of small, flaming meteors that struck the nearest Terrotor, singing portions of its coffee brown fur.

The sisters were scandalized at this turn of events.

"Why, you flea-bitten ingrate!" Priscilla shrieked, stamping her pink-clad foot in fury as her pretty face contorted in rage.

"After all the trouble we go through to keep you alive!" Her sister Drusilla yelled, her face beet red in fury. "After all we offered you since your miserable old owner died and dumped you on our family…"

"To bite the hand that feeds you…" Priscilla sneered.

"To disobey a direct order not to attack! Sanda, teach this ingrate a lesson!" Drusilla shrieked, her brown eyes alight with malice.

"You too, Terra! Show this pitiful excuse for a Pokémon what true service to the Dyrim name means!" Priscilla yelled, her face looking demented.

Both Ground types extended their claws once again and rushed the defenseless Growlithe, who had used up the last reserves of its strength and was ready to succumb to a mercifully swift end of her miserable life.

Four feet away, a flash of green streaked through the sky and the two Terrotor were thrown bodily into the air; landing twelve feet away, rolling in agony and clutching neon green slash marks.

Opening one violet eye blearily, the Puppy Pokémon looked up at the figure that stood before her. It had green leaves attached to its back which swayed in the desert wind, a lean and aerodynamic form and clutched in its right hand what looked like a glowing blade of green light.

Anuvi's eyes were fixed on the two bullies as they struggled to their feet and said in a low voice, <The Growlithe may be forbidden to attack, but I'm not.>

Raising his voice to a shout, Anuvi called, <Hey, Sapph! I think I've found it!>

"Good job, Anuvi!" Sapph cheered as he and Lavender burst from the trees that bordered the small woods onto the hot desert sands to stand with the Squirrage between the foursome and the bleeding Growlithe.

<Are you hurt, Anii?> Lavender asked in a worried tone.

<Not a chance,> Anuvi said quietly, his violet irises locked on the bullies with an expression of pure anger on his pointed face.

"What are you? A Junior Pokémon Ranger?!" Priscilla shrieked, her tone hardly doing justice of expressing her outrage.

"Do you know who we happen to be?" Drusilla added in a scandalized tone.

"No, should I?" Sapph replied hotly, matching Anuvi's hateful glare as he and Lavender tended to the wounded Fire type.

"Well, you must be an idiot. Imagine not knowing about the illustrious Dyrim family," Priscilla sneered.

"Heard of these clowns, Anuvi?" Sapph asked, his deep dislike for the girls deepening with each passing second.

<Never heard of 'em…> Anuvi said coldly, matching Sapph's feelings.

"Anyway, little boy," Drusilla snapped. "That Growlithe is our legal property. Hand it over… if you know what's good for you…"

More rustling was heard coming from the bushes after this pronouncement and Crimson and Ace came swooping out of the trees to assemble beside Sapph, Anuvi and Lavender.

<And what may be good for Sapph?> Crimson shouted back, losing his usually polite demeanor as he took one look at the Growlithe and realized what had transpired.

"Looks like I don't know what's good for me," Sapph challenged the girls who'd whitened at the sight of the Warrior, Swoop, Five Star and Evolution Pokémon ranged on Sapph's side, and all looking like they meant business. "Care to explain?"

The Dyrim sisters stared at each other for a moment before hastily retrieving their Pokémon and running off, yelling "This isn't the end, Ranger!"

<I'd say it is, you disgraces to the Coreian name!> Ace bellowed at their retreating backs.

Laughing slightly, Sapph turned back to the Growlithe and stretching out his right hand, asked gently. "Can you stand?"

The Growlithe's eyes widened fearfully as Sapph made to pet it, and misjudging the movement, bit down hard on Sapph's already injured hand.

"YEEEEOWCH! What the heck was that for?" Sapph yelled, falling on his rear in partial shock.

The Fire type leapt to its feet and took a few shaky steps to run away from the group before collapsing due to its extensive injuries and flat out exhaustion.

<Poor thing, it's suffered so much,> Crimson exclaimed, fluttering over to the fallen Fire type and hovering over it, looking sorrowful.

"It at least has enough spunk to Bite like Ricon's herbal burn ointment," Sapph grumbled slightly, massaging his hand vigorously.

<Think she can fend for herself, General?> Ace said crisply.

<Ace!> Anuvi said in a shocked voice, his eyes contracting slightly.

<What do you propose, Lieutenant? Force it to come with us?> Ace countered testily.

<Easy, you two,> Crimson said softly, breaking up his fellow Flying types who were staring daggers at each other.

<What do you think, Sapph?> Lavender asked loudly and the four conscious Pokémon turned their attention to their trainer.

Sapph reached down without a word and scooped up the wounded Growlithe, placing it under his arm gently.

"Well, we can't just leave her here," Sapph said defensively in response to Ace's skeptical look.

<If you say so, General,> Ace said evenly, although there was something in her voice that suggested that for the first time she was questioning her trainer's judgment.

"C'mon," Sapph said shortly to his posse. "Let's get back to the girls."

***​

<I can't believe I lost to a Fire type. Like, totally again!> Bubbles moaned, massaging the bruises Sky's newly evolved Charmeleon Drago had inflicted on her during the battle.

<Believe it, Hunny Bunny,> Drago said cockily, picking behind one of his fangs with a four inch long claw.

"How long have you had that thing for?" Haley asked in a grumpy voice. Resigning to the fact that she had lost not only a Pokémon battle but also a wager to a ten year old was going to be tough… especially if that ten year old was Sky.

"Only a week," Sky replied, returning to the clearing where they'd pitched camp laden down with firewood.

"A WEEK?!" Haley gasped in shock.

"As my brother Ricon told me once, 'Cheegalo wataoi enconpota des miguoii erogo'," Sky replied sagely, although with a bite of smugness.

"And what the heck does that mean?" Haley replied tetchily.

"It means, 'Even the stormiest clouds are made of little drops of water'. Translation: Even the greatest Pokémon Masters became great through practice and sweat," Sky said calmly. "Drago and I have been training for a week straight. Sun up to sundown. I must have stopped his evolution fourteen times... but I slipped up during our match."

Is she serious? Haley thought in shock. That would make that Charmeleon around level thirty!

A loud rustling noise sounded from the older girl's right and both Coreians spun to stare at the bush from which the noise had appeared. Drago and Bubbles stood between their trainers and the incoming threat…

…which was only Sapph.

"Sapph! Where have you been, mate?" Sky cried out as Haley exhaled in relief. "And is that a Growlithe?"

"Yeah," Sapph replied quietly, setting the Puppy Pok'emon down as he slumped onto a log in exhaustion and released Zen for a meal.

"Wherever did you get it?" Haley gasped, scooting over to examine the bandaged Growlithe more closely. "They're super rare here!"

Sapph recounted the tale of the abuse he and the others had witnessed and prevented as they moved in towards their meals, general babble breaking out.

<What the hell? You lost to ANOTHER Fire type, Bubbles?!> Mace chortled, choking with laughter.

<Hey! Like, he surprised me by evolving!> Bubbles half-shouted, her pale blue face suddenly flushed deep red.

<I can't believe Sapph left me out of all the action,> Zen grumbled darkly, throwing Crimson a dirty look.

<It wasn't Sapph's fault, OK?> Anuvi snapped back. <Don't blame us for your lack of empathy!>

<Speaking of empathy,> Ace said sharply. <Where is that Growlithe?>

<Over there,> Crimson said, jabbing a thumb over his shoulder near the fire where the Puppy Pokémon lay alone, slightly apart from the others, her bowl of food untouched.

<She looks so sad,> Lavender said, her ears drooping slightly. <Someone should go talk to her!>

<Really?> Zen said sardonically. <She looks fine to me. A little emo, but fine.>

Lavender threw him a disgusted look.

<Sorry, Oh-nuo,> Anuvi said gently. <Crimson and I don't really agree with fire. No offense, Pixy,> he added to the Fox Pokémon, who was chatting up Vapor the Eevee.

<What about you, Ace?> Lavender asked the Swoop Pokémon.

<I can't trust a team mate who'd attack my trainer when he was trying to help them,> Ace replied shortly.

Lavender puffed out her cheeks angrily at this statement.

<Fine! I'll talk to her myself!> Lavender said huffily, stalking off huffily towards the Growlithe, who continued to stared morosely into the dancing flames of the camp fire.

Approaching confidently, Lavender said brightly, <Hi! My name's Lavender! What's yours?>

The Growlithe remained silent, unblinkingly watching the flames leap and crackle.

<OK, let's try Anii's approach,> Lavender thought determinedly.

Lavender watched the flames' mirrored movements in her silent conversationalist's eyes before she went on, nodding her head at the firebrand's untouched bowl. <Y'know, that isn't poisoned.>

Still silence.

<Oh, don't worry about the others!> She rambled on, desperate to strike up a conversation. <Anii and Crimson're wary of all types of fires, Ace is a stiff, militaristic Pokémon to whom rank and file are matters of life and death, and Zen's not very nice anyway, so no loss there. What about you? What are you like?>

More silence.

<OK, so you're the silent type, I can relate to that,> Lavender ploughed on valiantly, not to be deterred. <So, erm, do you have any hobbies? Mine's looking at the stars,> Lavender paused here to look up at the fast approaching twilight where the first stars twinkled and winked down at them. <Did you know tha…>

<Go 'way.>

<Hey, you can talk!> Lavender said sunnily, looking back at the Growlithe, pleased with her progress. <So, what d'you…>

<Dint you hear me, foo'?> the Grolwithe… erm, growled. She had a husky voice that would have reminded Anuvi of Eaves, Brian's Eevee, except with more city in it. <Ah said, leave me alone!>

<OK, there's no need for that kind of attitude!> Lavender said reproachfully, her smile faltering slightly.

The Growlithe leapt to her feet and snarled, <Y'all deaf, pansy? Ah said, beat it!> A split second later, she winced as the sudden movement put too much strain on her legs to keep standing. Sinking to her former position she added in a low, rumbling growl. <Dint yo momma teach yah to respect others prah-vacy?>

Lavender looked at her coldly for a moment and said coldly, <Unfortunately, ah don't know mah momma, sistah. She sorta died,> she spat the word out venomously, dropping the falsified accent in her increasing anger, <before I even knew her, you… you...!>

<Ah believe the word yah looking for is '*****',> the Growlithe said mirthlessly. <But as ah am one, that prob'ly wouldn't hurt much. Anyways,> she added, staring the Evolution Pokémon square in the eye. <She was prob'ly lucky she got outta life quickly like… nuthin' but hurt for those still left ah-live.>

She stared at the Eevee, shaking in rage and added <Whatcha still, hangin' around here for, foo'? Ah said, beat it!>

<Or what?> Lavender hissed, her dull brown eyes giving her a sinister look as her anger quickly stole over her. <Gonna shoot fireballs at me? Take a Bite outta Lavender?> She gave a horribly mirthless laugh as she taunted, <Do your worst. Nothing you can do is worse than what my life has been. You think you've had it bad? You have no… damn… idea.>

Growlithe moved away slightly, suddenly frightened by the new Lavender, who was no longer sunny and cheerful, but now gave off a palpable yet invisible aura of rage.

<Nothing you've got can be worse than what I've had to go through,> Lavender scoffed. <You think you're the only one who's suffered? Guess again, Sugar Queen! Life has been as big a ***** as you are now, but I'm still standing. More importantly,> she added, angry tears welling up in her eyes now. <I've found a new older brother… and more family than I could ever ask for!>

<I was wrong,> Lavender added softly, her voice hoarse from her consistent talking. <Looks like you and Zen would get along perfectly. You're both peas from the same miserable pod!>

<Ah-ah'm sorry,> the Growlithe said after a long pause in which the two quadrupeds had stared at each other, the roaring fire making the only noise between them. <It's just that…>

<Save it,> Lavender said shortly. And then, smiling, added, <for when you do wanna talk about it.>

The Growlithe grinned back and said, <Yah know what?>

Lavender sat down next to the Growlithe and asked <What?>

<Ah like watching thuh stars too.>

The twosome stared at each other for a minute and grinned in unison, not unlike a pair of exceptionally silly schoolgirls talking about their crushes.

<Ma name's Mystery,> the Growlithe said cheerfully, releasing a light Ember attack onto her pellets, warming them up again. <Pleased tuh make yo acquaintance.>

<Likewise,> Lavender smiled back.

***​

"And just what do you plan to do with it, now that it's here?" Haley snarled at an increasingly embarrassed Sapph.

The girl researcher had spent the last ten minutes explaining to Sapph the influence that the Dyrim family wielded: shipping magnates, oil magnates, newspaper magnates; the whole family seemed involved in some major part of Corei's financial and economic development sectors.

"And you had to go aggravate the heirs to their fortune," Haley groaned in exasperation, slapping her face with her palm. "What else could go wrong?"

"FREEZE! NOBODY MOVE!"

Suddenly the clearing was swarming with blue-clad policemen who had roughly accosted Sapph, Haley, Sky and their Pokémon, handcuffing the lot of them (or at least those who had arms).

"Hey! What gives?" Sapph yelled as a large, beefy man holding a large red megaphone stepped into the clearing, his jet black hair disheveled and his black trench coat crumpled.

"You're all under arrest for one count of Pokémon theft, three counts of Pokémon abuse and two counts of threatening and/or attacking a human with a Pokémon!" The man announced loudly through the megaphone… right in Sky's face.

"AARGH! GET THAT BLOODY THING OUTTA MY FACE, YOU DESKARAGO JARDO!" She bellowed, losing her temper with the irritable police officer.

"AND ADD ONE COUNT OF ABUSING AN OFFICER OF THE LAW, FELON!" The polise officer screamed back through the megaphone

"These the Pokémon rustlers, Miss Priscilla, Miss Drusilla?" The chief officer asked two shadowy figures that pulled their way through the undergrowth, expressions of distaste upon their faces with regard to their surroundings.

Stepping into the clearing, Priscilla and Drusilla Dyrim pulled strands of foliage out of their hair with expressions of pure distaste. Upon recognizing Sapph, however, the teenagers' faces split into evil identical grins.

"Oh, yes, thank you, officer!" Priscilla said tearfully.

"That criminal in red is the main culprit!" Drusilla added, crocodile tears running down her face and pointing a shaking finger at Sapph. "He even threatened to have his Pokémon attack us if we tried to stop him taking our precious widdle Growlie!"

"Now, now," the lieutenant said soothingly. "You both did the right thing by coming to the authorities. We'll handle these criminals from here," he added, staring sternly at Sapph, Haley and Sky, who were all handcuffed.

"See why I said you should go home?" Haley hissed out if the corner of her mouth.

"Oh, shut up," Sky retorted in an undertone.

"All right, men. Let's take 'em away," the lieutenant called out to his subordinate officers, who were having a little trouble restraining the Pokémon.

"Thank you so much for reuniting us with our beloved Growlie!" Priscilla said with a watery kind of soppy adoration.

"It was no trouble at all," the lieutenant said modestly, blushing as the duplicitous teens turned on the charm.

Mystery was snapping and snarling at the officers who attempted to hold her down and when the sisters got close enough, released a small barrage of fireballs from her flaming mouth at them, warning them to keep their distance.

"Quite a wild dog you have there, Ms. Drusilla and Priscilla," the lieutenant said, scratching his stubbly chin. "Want us to put her to sleep for you?"

"Oh, don't worry, lieutenant," Drusilla assured the police officer.

"We'll be sure to discipline it appropriately," Priscilla added with a nasty look at the snapping Puppy Pokémon.

"But, of course, miss!" The lieutenant said with a swift salute.

"Hold it right there, Fulton," A snippy voice called out from somewhere among the trees.

"Damn it, Guiseppe!" The lieutenant roared, dropping his proper manner in an instant. "The chief said that this was MY operation!"

"Not quite, Lieutenant," the voice said again as its owner stepped out into the firelight, a tall, thin man with a clean shaven chin donning a long brown trench coat.

"The chief would rather I used my proposed method of investigation for this particular case," the man named Guiseppe informed the lieutenant as his beady eyes swept the scene, moving over Sapph; who was staring at the Dyrim sisters with deep dislike etched in his eyes, to the Dyrim Sisters, who looked discomfited at the new arrival to the Growlithe who continued to growl menacingly at her oppressors.

"An' I still say you investigative method's a load of codswallop!" Lieutenant Fulton replied, becoming redder by the second. "Pokémon as witnesses to crimes? That's the job of evidence, testimonies and the courts!"

"Yet, an increasing number of innocent people are convicted in the courts daily, Fulton," Guiseppe replied waspishly. "Now, please excuse me. I have work to do."

Lieutenant Fulton grabbed Guiseppe by the scruff of his trench coat and yelled in his face, spit flying, "WE'RE ALREADY DONE HERE!"

"Excuse me, but… who are you?" Sapph asked, his confusion mirrored in the girls' faces.

"Detective Guiseppe DeLaron," the man replied nonchalantly, looking over at Sapph appraisingly. "Pokémon Abuse Department, Appleburn City Police Department."

Brushing the lieutenant's hand away as though shooing away a fly, Detective Guiseppe moved past the flustered lieutenant towards the Growlithe, who'd stopped growling.

"That's right," the detective said calmly, stretching out a hand towards the Puppy Pokémon. "It'll be OK…"

"Hmph, guess you should know, Guiseppe," Lt. Fulton said coldly. "That thing's a right menace. It attacked its own owners, the Dyrim family, and…"

The detective faltered as he saw the Growlithe licking the man all over playfully, her tail wagging boisterously.

"Wh-wha…"

"I'm sorry, Fulton," Guiseppe said cheerfully, petting the Growlithe as he got to his feet. "You were saying?"

Not bothering to wait for an answer, Guiseppe called out, "Alakazam! Your assistance, please!" releasing a streak of white light from a pokéball in his hand. It formed a medium sized bipedal humanoid Pokémon which held a silver spoon in each of its yellow hands. The Alakazam's squat yellow face sprouted a set of fine yellow whiskers which fell to its brown plated chest. Its wrists, ankles and shoulders were covered with a similar coloured substance.

"Now, Alakazam… use Mind Reader!" Guiseppe commanded, pointing at the Growlithe.

Mystery felt a little nervous now as the Alakazam closed in on it and gripped the sides of its head in between its hands.

"What d'you think you're doing?!" Sapph yelled at Guiseppe. "What's going on?!"

"I'm having Alakazam probe Growlithe's memory of what happened earlier today," Guiseppe replied calmly as Mystery and Alakazam's eyes whited out and both went into a kind of trance.

"What? It won't hurt her, will it?" Sapph asked worriedly.

"Hey! Shut up, felon!" Fulton yelled angrily. "It's the owner's job to be worried about the Pokémon's welfare, not the thieves'!"

What is he talking about? Those Dyrim Sisters aren't concerned at all! Haley thought furiously.

"Hey, jardo!" Sky yelled brashly. "The so-called owners of Growlithe don't care! They look like they're more concerned about running away themselves to me!"

"SHUT UP!" Fulton screamed, his face redder than ever.

"Show some decorum, Fulton!" Guiseppe snapped, "and some quiet, please! Alakazam, show me what you've seen," he added to the Alakazam, whose pupils had returned to his eyes along with Mystery's irises.

Everyone was silent as Alakazam relayed the memory from Mystery into his trainer's mind. After a minute, Guiseppe opened his eyes and said loudly, "Priscilla and Drusilla Dyrim!" he called suddenly, startling the Dyrim Sisters witless.

"W-what d'you want?" Priscilla stammered, sweating bullets.

"W-we w-w-warn you," Drusilla added, twisting her hands anxiously. "Accuse us and our father will hear of this outrage! You can expect to be out of a job for many years to come!"

"Oh, I'm not going to accuse you," Detective Guiseppe replied with a shadow of a smirk. "I just want to ask you a question or two."

"What cheek is this, you lowly detective!" Drusilla shrieked. "The culprits have been apprehended already! What do you mean by this?!"

"I'll ask the questions if you please, Ms. Dyrim," Guiseppe overrode her coldly. "Now… which Pokémon do you have in your possession?"

"We don't have to submit to this questioning!" Drusilla spluttered, evidently falling apart at the seams.

"Fine," Guiseppe said calmly. "How about a wager? If I can guess correctly, you will have to answer another question. If I'm wrong, they'll be taken into custody and you will be free to go, no more said."

A tense silence filled the clearing as Sapph, Haley and Sky also started to sweat profusely. Their freedom was riding on this man. They hoped he was as good as guessing as he was confident…

"Hmm… let's see…" Detective Guiseppe said in mock concentration. "Do you both, perhaps… own Terrotor?"

The sisters blanched in horror. Guiseppe's smirk widened.

Lt. Fulton rose to the celebrities' defense instantly. "Anyone and everyone knows that!"

"Be quiet, Fulton," Guiseppe snapped. "Well?" he added at the girls, who stole a glance at each other before answering.

"Yes," Priscilla began. "As the lieutenant rightly said, everybody in the area knows the Dyrim family have Terrotor…"

"But it was that brat's Squirrage that injured Growlie!" Drusilla exclaimed vehemently. "It used Leaf Blade to cut up poor Growlie as it fought to protect us!"

Sapph, Sky, Haley and all of Sapph's Pokémon rolled their eyes with Mystery at the lies the Dyrim Girls were spouting out.

"Indeed," Guiseppe said softly.

"You see?" Fulton roared in triumph. "Thought you were pretty slick, felon?"

"Oh, spare me!" Sapph groaned with an excessive dose of eye rolling.

"Boy," Guiseppe said to Sapph curtly. "Please order your Squirrage to use Leaf Blade on that tree over there," he said, pointing at a tree with an exceptionally thick trunk.

Sapph stared at Haley and Sky bewilderedly, the latter of whom looked back blankly. Haley however, nodded wordlessly.

"Uhm… OK," Sapph said uncertainly. "Anuvi, use Yaiba no Hayashi!"

<Right on!> Anuvi yelled, creating the blade of grass energy and cutting the trunk swiftly.

"OK, now what, Guiseppe?" Fulton asked, totally lost.

"Priscilla, Dursilla," Guiseppe said courteously. "Could you please show us your Terrotor?"

"We don't have them here, Detective," Drusilla said scathingly.

"Ha! Thought you could catch us wit the old wound analysis trick?" Priscilla scoffed. "Like we wouldn't know the wounds that vile attack leaves glow green?"

"I believe I've caught you anyway," Guiseppe grinned. "You see," he said as he bent down to unwrap Mystery's bandages. "The Growlithe's wounds aren't glowing!"

"Ulp!" The twosome gulped worriedly.

"Lt. Fulton," Guiseppe asked the lieutenant in the same cordial tone. "Could you tell us which specie of Pokémon inflicted these wounds?"

Fulton gulped himself as he bent down to examine Mystery's injuries. "Th-they seem to be Terrotor claw marks!"

"What?!" Priscilla gasped.

"Lt. Fulton! Don't you want that bonus?!" Drusilla asked with a snap like a mouse trap.

"One last question," Guiseppe said coolly. "What is this Growlithe's name?"

"Hunh? That's easy! It's Growlie! Isn't it, sis?" Drusilla dithered.

"Obviously!" Priscilla added defiantly. "What else would it be called?"

"OK, then," Guiseppe said confidently. "Call him, then."

The twosome looked at each other unsure what was going on.

"Fine. C'mere, Growlie!" Priscilla called.

Mystery sat down defiantly.

"Here, Growlie! Come here, boy!" Drusilla tried vainly.

Mystery turned her head in defiance.

"Do you want to know why he isn't coming?" Guiseppe asked coyly.

"What the… what do you mean by that?" the Dyrim duo exclaimed in unison.

Guiseppe chuckled and announced, "It's simply because he's a female Growlithe nicknamed Mystery!"

"WHAT?" Lt. Fulton shouted in shock. "B-but that'd mean…"

"What trainer wouldn't know the gender or nickname of their own Pokémon?" Guieppe asked the audience at large as he paced amongst them all. "Either a thief who's not the original trainer, or an extremely abusive trainer who never took the time to care for the Pokémon! Guiseppe then pointed at the Dyrim siblings and announced, "Just as we have over there! Officers, arrest Priscilla and Drusilla Dyirm immediately!"

"What?!" Lt. Fulton gasped staring at Guiseppe as though he'd taken leave of his senses.

"Relax, lieutenant… he can't prove anything!" Drusilla exclaimed.

"That's right, detective! Prove we maltreated this poor Growlithe!" Priscilla piped up.

"Oh, this special tape on which memory can be stored will serve appropriately, I'm sure," Guiseppe smirked, pulling out a silver reel of what looked like magnetic tape and handed it to Alakazam, who inscribed the information onto it using its Psychic technique.

The sisters blanched and spluttered incoherently as they were handcuffed and led away.

"W-well, I - uh… better go file a report," Lt. Fulton gulped, avoiding Sapph, Haley and Sky's glares as he followed his men out of the clearing leaving the four of them alone.

"Thanks a million, Detective!" Haley said fervently.

"Yeah! We totally owe you one!" Sky agreed, stretching her unbound limbs.

"Definitely," Sapph agreed, rubbing his wrists.

"Just doing my job," Guiseppe replied, returning his Alakazam and bending down to pet Mystery. "This Growlithe isn't the first the Dyrims have hurt. I can personally testify to that."

"Wha-?" Sapph began but Guiseppe cut across him.

"It's better you don't know that particular story yet," Guiseppe said with a smile as he turned to go. "Look after the Growlithe, will you, boy?"

"Fine, if you stop calling me 'boy'," Sapph said shortly. "It's Sapph to you," he added with a grin.

Guiseppe grinned back and strode off into the night.

"Well! Looks like you finally got your fire type!" Haley said cheerfully.

"Congrats, mate!" Sky said, clapping Sapph on the back as Sapph knelt down to pet his newest 'capture'.

<I'm sorry I bit you earlier today,> Mystery muttered with its pompom tail in between its legs.

"Hey, water under the bridge," Sapph replied cheerfully, ruffling the white fur that grew in between her ears.

"What are you gonna nickname her?" Haley asked curiously. "No offense, but Mystery is a weird name for a Growlithe."

Sapph laughed as Sky thought for a moment and said, "How about Arcana? It means 'mystery' in Dunedé…"

Sapph and Mystery played with the word in their minds for a while before Sapph asked the Growlithe, "So! Arcana it is, then?"

Mystery barked once in agreement and wagged her tail energetically as the other members of Sapph's team, who'd been congratulating each other on avoiding jail, converged to greet their new team mate.

"Right then!" Sapph announced to the group at large. "Arcana… welcome to the team!"

***​

Next Time on The Corei Quest: After nearly killing Bubbles in Green Hill City, Kamren and Burner grow further and further apart. Eventually culminating in a huge fight and estrangement, Burner goes off on his own to discover what true power is all about… and Kamren and the group face a danger that could tear them all apart… Chapter 25: Paying His Dunes, slated for the 14th of February, 2008… Don't miss it!

***​

GOODIE OF THE WEEK: CHARACTER PROFILE

Name: Sapphire Manson
Date of Birth: July 7th, PA 2003
Eye Colour: Sapphire blue
Hair Colour: Dark brown

Theme: Underdogby Mudd
Current Teammates: Anuvi (Squirrage), Crimson (Ledian), Ace (Mawhoot), Zen (Taebrawl), Lavender (Eevee), Arcana (Growlithe)
Pokémon at the Yew Observatory: Silver (Magnemite)

Background: Born to Katherine and Justin Manson as the second born of twins. Originally mispronounced as a girl at birth, his parents took one look at his eyes and named him Sapphire. Due to the new legislation that forbids legal name changes, the name had to stay, much to Sapph's displeasure. Sapph has spent his life in the shadow of older brother Rubin, initially seeing his older twin as a role model, and later in life as a rival after an incident at school that made Sapph lose all his respect for his brother.

Sapph was a reckless, overconfident youngster fresh from Johto on the invitation of Professor Theodore Yew. After his experience with Zen, however, Sapph has gradually become more in tune with nature and has generally curbed his recklessness. He is however, to this day, excessively confident in his battling ability and the strength of his Pokémon.

ROUNDING OFF ARE ANOTHER COUPLE OF ENTRIES IN THE COREI-DEX!

Name: Terrotor

Corei-Dex Number:

Species: Large Claws

Pronunciation: TEH-row-TAW

Element: Dark/Ground

Height: 5'01"

Weight: 52 lbs

Name Derivation: TERRa (Latin for Earth) + lOTOR (specific epithet for the raccoon Procyon lotor)

Evolution line: Terrotor usually follow this evolutionary line:

Geosel-(22)-> Badgune-(39)->Terrotor

Author's/Artist's Note: Terrotor was initially the 1st stage evolution in the chain with Badgune as the highest form. But after some thought, I decided to switch them around.

Info: It has huge claws that can hew an Olmypic-sized swimming pool out of stone in mere minutes. It is active at night when its bushy tail can keep it warm.

Name: Zebuk

Corei-Dex Number:

Species: Zebra

Pronunciation: zee-Buck

Element: Normal

Height: 5'03"

Weight: 142 lbs

Name Derivation: ZEbra + BUcK

Evolution line: Zebuk usually follow this evolutionary line:

Zebuk-(38)-> Arbez

Author's/Artist's Note: What can I say? It's a Zebra Pokémon. 'nuff said.

Info: Young Zebuk foals are almost impossible to tame. Anyone who attempts to mount one will be thrown off immediately. Those who are able to hold on until sundown are recognized by the Zebuk as their new trainer.

OK, L@er!

P.S.: If you did scream like a wussie, you're probably a sissy reader... XD

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Oct 19, 2013
TCQ ch 24

This chapter is rated PG-13 for violence and possible swearing.

Chapter Twenty Four: Paying His Dunes​

Grand Corei Desert

The sandy wind rushed through his hair which was of a reddish blond hue, albeit more red than blond. His grey eyes were fixed on the shifting, hazy horizon as words he had thought to himself returned in full force.

I promise you that before this is over, I will control you.

A lot had happened to Kamren Kent over the past five weeks. Ever since he'd received his first Pokémon, a Fryger, from Prof. Theodore Yew, Pokémon researcher. He had started his quest with his friends Carla Witkins and Dex Harrington. Carla's little brother Calvin had also tagged along. Each had their own goals in life yet through the familiarity years of friendship bring, they'd seen past their differences and banded together to support each other, no matter how much they got on each other's nerves… they'd had always sorted out their differences…

... and now...

... the time had come to settle another difference.

Enlarging the pure white orb that had been clenched in his fist the whole time he'd been standing lost in thought, he pressed a concealed button on the lower white half of the pokéball, releasing its contents in a flash of orange. Burner appeared as the flash light became denser, forming a creature which had wicked four foot long claws, a Mohawk like mane and a deep red and black-striped pelt. Its golden yellow eyes narrowed in the arid breeze that blew through the air. Turning to the youth who had released him, he snarled in an arrogant voice, <I don't see the battle. What the hell am I doing here?>

Kamren, rather than replying with a cruelly sarcastic comeback, exhaled deeply and said clearly "Putting an end to your aggressive streak. It's out of control."

The Therline looked at the thirteen year old and thought he had surely made a bad joke. <Put an end to my aggressive streak? You've either friggin' lost it or you're not Kamren. C'mon, man… let's go find some weak punks to take out… yo, Kamren!>

Kamren only shook his head in reply. "I've been thinking, Burner."

<Careful. You're not meant to strain yourself at new activities,> Burner joked. His arrogant smile, which so recently had been a mirror of the boy's before him, slipped a couple of notches as he saw no flicker of a smile cross Kamren's face. <OK, what's wrong? You always said 'Emotions are excess baggage that'll dull our skills.'>

"I'm not sure," Kamren said softly. "Ever since the match with Haley and Bubbles…"

<Yeah, that was fun!> Burner said happily. <Remember when I had that floppy rabbit landed on 'er airy fairy head? That was a Kodak moment…>

"Well, what happened next after the Metal Rush wasn't so cool, Burner," Kamren said harshly.

Scowling the Fire type replied, <Yeah? Well, guess what? Any Pokémon who can attack when her opponent's back is turned doesn't deserve any mercy. Least of all from me.>

Kamren stared incredulously at his starter. Of all the reasons to… he thought incoherently. Aloud he shouted, "So, according to you… Bubbles deserved to be pummeled to near death?! Is that what the team is about to you?"

<No, that's what the team is all about to you!" Burner yelled back furiously. "Another one of your favourite anecdotes was always, 'Mercy is what the weak show'... and make no mistake,> Burner went on breathing quickly. <I am not weak!>

"Well, I was wrong, wasn't I?"Kamren roared.

<NO, I WAS!> Burner shrieked, a blast of intense heat emanating from his body and knocking his trainer off his feet. <I WAS WRONG THAT YOU WERE THE TRAINER THAT COULD HANDLE ME! LAST YEAR'S LOSERES DIDN'T EVEN COME CLOSE!>

Burner turned his back on Kamren and said, staring at the boy who rolled painfully down the side of the dune and said, <Our paths are no longer the same. Find some other loser Pokémon to join you. Just remember I won't be there to help your ass out of trouble!>

And with one more disgusted, askance stare at his former trainer, Burner stalked away over the dune they had stood on together and out of sight into the desert winds.

Picking himself out of the shifting sands, Kamren yelled into the wind, "Fine! GO! Run away, turn your back on the team! COWARD!"

But as tears he'd sworn never to show since his father had left home trickled form his eyes, he knew Burner hadn't turned his back on the team… he had.

***​

"I'm worried," Carla said for the fiftieth time, pace the dusty ground on which she, Calvin, Dex and Kamren had pitched camp the night before.

"Carla, relax," Dex said, looking over at her as his Aron, Tank got sent for a loop by Keno, Calvin's Alakazam.

<Hey! Your head in the game, please, idiot!> Tank yelled as he hit the side of the stone well that stood near the tent where the boys were training their Pokémon, or rather Calvin was having Keno use Tank as a Psychic punching bag.

"Well, I can't help it," Carla said fretfully, setting a dish of Pokémon food before Banyan, her new Faelock. "He never left a note… and he didn't take Volt or Ciela with him."

Calvin said calmly, "I'd recommend calming down, Carla. Your boyfriend will be fine. It is Karmen after all."

"Stop calling Kamren that!" Carla yelled, looking so flushed that she appeared sun burnt as she dropped a second bowl on top of her newest capture, a Sandshrew dubbed Gold.

Calvin smirked and said "Fine. Just let us finish up here and we'll go look for him."

Carla turned to look at their battle as Tank rose to his feet and glowed white. Great, now Tank's evolving, Carla thought grimly. This'll never end…

"Banyan, Gold… return," Carla said softly, returning her two Pokémon and creeping off as Tank stood in his full Lairon glory and cackled, "It's a little late for breakfast, but I think I can manage one more Alakazam pancake," causing Keno and Calvin to break out in a cold sweat.

Mysterious Temple
Location Unknown

The cathedral looked ancient. Almost as old as the legends for which it had been constructed for eons ago. The stone pews had not been displaced, nor had they been cleaned for almost as long if the filth and cobwebs strung across them like Christmas garlands were any indication. The stained windows that chronicled the interactions the legendaries had shared with the men who'd worshipped them were missing many a pane; the gaps left behind allowing weak sunlight and dapple green mist to filter into the large hall. The double doors opened and two figures shrouded in white cloaks marched up the moth-eaten carpet that stretched the length of the temple towards the alter behind which a paneless window stood twelve feet above the ground set in the stone wall through which a blinding light flooded the cathedral at the end furthest from the large oaken double doors through which the figures had entered. Both knelt in unison and bowed their heads upon reaching the boundary of white and red and pewter grey. Two thrones were discernable in the light and although they seemed to be occupied, by who or what remained a mystery.

"Are all preparations complete?" A man's voice rang out from the throne, which was so bathed in light that the owner of the voice was hardly visible at all.

"Yes, my Lord and Lady," a second male's voice replied, this one guttural. The owner's hood tumbled backwards to reveal a clean shaven individual with short blond hair and piercing blue eyes which resembled chips of ice.

A stern female voice also spoke from the blinding light, "and your information on the dissident?"

"All accurate. The demon and its spawn will be eradicated soon enough," the second cloaked figure replied, lowering her hood to reveal light purple eyes hidden beneath a fringe of straight black hair.

"Good," the first man said in a very satisfied voice. "Very good. Light shall prevail over the shadow."

"Light shall prevail over the shadows," the voices echoed before fading out of site.

"Soon, my dear," the first female spoke softly, as the organ music played on. "The purification of Corei has begun."

Grand Corei Desert

Kamren stared at the spot on the horizon his first Pokémon had walked away from him, unsure how he was going to handle losing his first Pokémon, and (dare he say it? Even to himself?) his best friend? Was he really deserving to be a trainer? Would Volt and Ciela hang around him after they found out? What about Carla, Calvin and Dex? Kamren himself was finding it hard to believe that Burner would up and leave like he just had. He was sure no other trainer would have ever had this problem… not even Sapph Manson, whom he considered inferior due to his sappy kindness and egotistical love of playing the hero every where he went.

After standing rooted in the sand for several minutes, the realization hit him; Burner was gone. He wasn't coming back.

Letting out a yell of fury that was sure to reverberate for miles, Kamren sank to his knees and swore over and over again, tears of fury flowing freely as the words of his unspoken pledge made to his sister rang unrelentingly in his mind:

I promise you that before this is over, I will control you.​

I promise…

…I will control you…​

…Before this is over…​

…I will control you…​

…I promise you…

…this is over…​

…I promise…

…control you…​

…I promise…​

…this is over…

…over…​

…over…

…it's over…​

Was it really over? Could he let it end this way? "Some man you are, Kamren Kent," Kamren snarled, wiping his eyes and standing up once more. "Who needs someone like him? If he doesn't want to be around me, I don't want to be around…"

His train of thought was suddenly broken by a singular, high-pitched scream that sounded to the east. It was a scream Kamren could easily identify…

Carla?

***​

Burner trudged over the hot afternoon sands looking for something to eat. If he was going to live alone, he needed to find something to pick up his strength. A loud roar echoed towards him from over the dunes, one very familiar to his Therline senses.

…the cry of a fellow Therline.

Running towards the source of the noise he saw what looked like a carbon copy of himself backed up against a large rock surrounded by Badgune; Sand Badger Pokémon with uncommonly conical heads and brown, rock hard exoskeleton covering parts of their head and back. He saw a couple more of the Ground types surrounding a smaller Fryger, definitely smaller than he'd ever been in his life as a little Fire Tiger Pokémon.

<Honogan, help me!> the Fryger screamed, backing away fearfully from the Badgune.

<Hold on, Kairat! I'll be right there!> The Therline replied frantically, lashing out and striking down the nearest Badgune.

As he watched, the Badgune surrounding the younger Fire Tiger Pokémon began a Quick Sand attack and began to drag the littler Fire type into the desert sands. Burner was unsure whether to help the Fryger when the ground at his feet began to squirm uncomfortably. Looking down, he saw his large forepaws sink slowly yet steadily into the ground.

Looking up in a panic, he saw three more Badgune sinking him with the Quick Sand technique. Burner roared and slashed at them, but couldn't reach. The increased activity caused him to sink faster. Swearing loudly, he unleashed a stream of fire at them, but sand began to leap into his throat, stifling his attempts to torch them.

Burner's eyes widened as he sank deeper and deeper under the sand, his arm flailing helplessly as he sank under the surface completely.

Just when he thought of the irony of dying on his first day as a free Therline, a large, clawed hand grabbed his and pulled hard, freeing his head with one tug.

Choking on the sand, Burner looked up into the eyes of the Therline he'd seen fighting down in the dip minutes earlier; who was breathing raggedly, a wicked relic of a scar lying under his right eye. The Fryger looked unhurt too, albeit extremely messy, sticky sand clung to his fur and he also panted heavily, looking at Burner with eager golden eyes.

<Are you alright?> The Therline asked brusquely as Burner knocked his paw away and struggled out of the messy bog.

Several Frygers and Therlines were running towards them, calling out <Honogan-hame!>, <Are you hurt, Honogan-hame?>, <How's Kairat?>, and looking at Burner asked, <Who's he?>

<Outta here,> Burner replied succinctly before making to walk off and promptly passing out.

Honogan replied in a more courteous tone, "He's our guest. Come along, let's get going.>

Chinooka City

"Lookit me, Daddy! Lookit, lookit!"A girl of three squealed as she swung higher and higher on the swing in the local school playground.

"Wow, Kaede!"A giant of a man with a mousy brown mop of hair called over to her from a park bench on which he reclined, watching his daughter fondly. "Keep going and you'll fly away!"

"No! Daddy, come quick! I don' wanna fly away from you!" Kaede squealed, looking tearfully.

"Relax, honey. Daddy's only joking," Trey Bolton laughed watching his daughter jump off the swing and run to her beefy father, hugging him tight. "Want to call it a day? We could grab some ice cream…" he added, a slight teasing note in his voice.

"Yaaay!" Kaede yelled happily. "I love you, Daddy!"

"I love you too, Kitty," Trey replied warmly, hugging his daughter back.

"Hello, Trey."

"Gym Leader Ricon! How are you?"Trey exclaimed, spinning around to see the husky twenty four year old Flying type ace standing there wearing his familiar muscle shirt and blue jeans.

"Hello, Ricon-hame," Kaede said happily.

"Hey, Kaede-kan," Ricon replied happily, ruffling her hair fondly.

Looking into the other man's warm, beetle black eyes, the Gym Leader went on, "Trey, I'd like a word… got a moment?"Ricon asked courteously.

"O-of course! Hey, Kaede," Trey said to his daughter, "why don't you play on the swings a little longer? Then we'll go get double scoops!"

"Yaaay! Double scoops, double scoops!" Kaede cheered, running off back to the swings to play some more.

Both men smiled at her retreating back as Ricon sat next to Trey and said softly, "So, how're you two holding up?"

"Fine, Gym Leader Ricon," Trey replied respectfully.

"Please, call me Ricon. After all," Ricon said modestly. "The whole city is my family, and I must look after every member's welfare."

Looking over at Kaede, who was waving at them at the swings, he waved back and went on, "Any idea on who attacked you at home last week?"

"None," Trey replied softly, looking around cautiously.

Ricon noticed his behavior and replied softly, "Don't worry. Nobody, apart from the two of us, knows about your past with Team Shadow. Well, us and Nurse Joy."

"You're sure she'll be alright? I don't want anybody to get hurt anymore… not since…" Trey said, tears welling up in his eyes.

Ricon, closing his eyes and exhaling softly, replied in an undertone, "Don't worry about that. Team Shadow's attack here does worry me though."

"I thought it might, Ricon-hame," Trey replied softly.

"Maybe you'd want to move elsewhere… keep Kaede safe…"Ricon said softly, his eyes watching the little girl's brown hair fly behind her as she swung happily.

"I appreciate your concern," Trey answered humbly, watching his daughter sadly. "And I'll be eternally grateful for offering us sanctuary here in Chinooka. But I don't want a life of fear for Kaede… she deserves better of her father…"

Ricon clapped Trey on the shoulder and stood up. "It's an honour to have one as brave as you in our city, Trey."

"Thank you, Ricon-hame," Trey replied as he also got to his feet.

"Da-deee! Can we please go get some ice cream now?" Kaede called, skipping over to where the chatting adults stood.

"Well, I'd better get going," Ricon said heavily. "Don't want to miss Joy's mash potatoes. Join us?"

"No, thank you, Ricon-hame," Trey said genially, grasping Kaede's hand as they prepared to take their leave.

"OK, then. Stay safe," Ricon smiled, turning to go.

"Bye, bye, Ricon-hame!" Kaede called, waving widely.

"Bye!" Ricon smiled down at her, returning the wave. As the father and daughter walked away, Ricon's smile faded as he lowered his arm slowly. Two figures in white cloaks had begun to trail them. Yet he was sure he'd never seen them before.

Feeling deeply uneasy, Ricon followed.

Grand Corei Desert

"KAMREN!" Carla called, her green eyes fraught with worry as she ambled aimlessly over the desert sands, shielding her eyes from the harsh winds and unforgiving sun. Looking around she saw a shady canyon entrance.

This sandstorm is hopeless, she thought. I'd better wait over there for it to blow over.

Soon, Carla found herself in the cool shadows of the canyon they had traversed earlier that week. Resting the back of her blonde head against the cool rock face and exhaled slightly, sweeping a lock of her wavy hair out of her face. A sudden hissing sound came from near her hand. Looking down she let loose an ear-splitting shriek and pulled her hand away from a smooth scaled green snake, out of whose head seemed to grow a little tree.

The Boamba fixed its evil yellow eye upon the coordinator to be as many more pair appeared from the numerous holes that dotted the rock face that she hadn't seen before she'd entered. Boamba slithered out of the rocks and began moving towards her slowly yet purposefully, tasting the air around them with their flicking tongues.

Carla backed away swiftly, her heart racing. Reaching for her Fryger's pokéball, something long and thorny struck her wrist sharply, numbing her fingers and causing her to drop the pokéball with a clunk. The long thing swung again and Carla felt the thorns pierce her bare shoulder and send her skidding across the desert sands away from her fallen weapon.

Blood seeped down her shoulder into her blue halter neck top as she fixed her fearful green eyes upon what seemed to be the chief of the colony. At over eleven and a half feet long, and every square inch of its scaly hide littered with thorns, the Python Pokémon let out a loud hiss and flashed its purple, poisonous fangs at the stricken twelve year old girl who scooted away from the vicious Grass and Poison type and Tora's pokéball as the Mamba Pokémon closed in.

Kamren, Carla thought frantically, too afraid to scream. Kamren, please… help me…

***​

Burner slumped against a rock, looking down at his large ham sized paws in disbelief. He could handle hordes of Rumboo, Scyther, Nidokings, Onix… yet still, a family of Badgune had bested him…

<What is happening to me?> he thought dejectedly. <Damn it… damn it all!> he yelled aloud, slamming the ground with his hand, accidentally setting off an Earthquake attack.

A frightened squeak brought the Therline to his senses. Looking around, he saw a small Fire Tiger Pokémon hiding behind a rock, a small piece of meat in his mouth.

<Oh, Kairat,> Burner said listlessly, turning away as the young Fryger approached him timidly and lay the morsel by the larger Pokémon's side.

<F-for you,> Kairat said meekly, stepping away slowly.

<Kairat…>

The Fryger squeaked and stammered, <Y-yes?>

Burner held up the meat and tore it in half. Handing one half to the little Pokémon, he said, <Here, have some.>

<I couldn't,> Kairat said in a shocked voice. <Honogan said to give it to you… all the rest of the colony have eaten already.>

<Hey, brat,> Burner snarled threateningly. <Shut up, sit down and EAT!>

Kairat gulped and hastened to obey.

As the two Fire types chewed meditatively, the smaller one said tremulously, <You must be really strong.>

Burner laughed mirthlessly and replied harshly, <What makes you say that?>

<Not even Honogan can shake the earth like you just did… your trainer must have been awesome…>

<He wasn't.>

Kairat looked up at Burner in shock. <But, you can do the most amazing attacks I've ever seen! Even Honogan…>

<Do me a favour, Kairat,> Burner said softly. <Never compare me to Honogan again!>

<W-why?>

<Cause…> Burner began, appalled at himself for what he was about to say, never believing it of anybody until then. <'cause Honogan's stronger than me. I've only just realized it.>

<I don't understand,> Kairat said, his eyes full of puzzlement.

<Being strong alone isn't enough,> Burner said softly. <To be truly strong, you have to have someone to defend… to fight for. Honogan has the entire colony to oversee, and puts its welfare before all other things… that's what makes him strong.>

Closing his eyes in defeat, he murmured <I have no one like that.>

<But what about your trainer?> Kaireat asked in an uncharacteristically sagely voice.

<He wants me to be weak,> Burner said stubbornly. <He wants me to give up the instincts that make me strong.>

<Does he? Did he actually say those words?> Kairat asked timidly.

Burner pondered these questions and found that it couldn't be right. Kamren had admired his aggression. Always. <What was bothering him,> Burner thought to himself, <was my tendency to go berserk and nearly kill my opponents. Kamren never wanted me to kill. Punish, perhaps. But to claim a Pokémon's life? No wonder Kamren has been reluctant to use me in battle since…>

<I understand it all now!> Burner exclaimed, leaping to his feet. <I finally get it!>

<Understand? Understand what? Get what?> Kairat inquired, surprised at the Therline's sudden movement.

<I've gotta go,> Burner said enigmatically.

<Go? Go where?> Kairat asked, feeling hurt.

Looking back with a reckless smile, he scolded his younger evolutionary cousin, <You ask too many questions. Thank Honogan for showing me what I have to do, will you?>

Burner leapt down the rock face and began to glow white as he took off running across the cool evening desert sands.

A Therline with a scar running down the side of his face watched him go and smiled <You're welcome, Burner.>

Chinooka City

"How's your ice cream, Kaede?" Trey asked happily as his little girl swung happily from his hand.

"Cold!" Kaede chirped, happily slurping down her raspberry and mocha ice cream.

Trey beamed down at his little girl as they walked down an isolated street that wasn't too far from their home when a figure suddenly accosted them just as they were about to walk past a dark alley. The man wore a white cloak with a circular gold fastening and the hood up; a sign that Trey found forboding.

"Trey Bolton?" The figure asked him quietly.

This inquiry was only seeking to cause Trey even greater disquiet. Instead of voicing this opinion, he took a deep breath and replied, "Yes? Who are you?"

As he said this, he felt a presence sneak up behind them. Out of the corner of his eye he saw a near identical figure step up from the shadows behind them. Keeping them both in his sight as he moved Kaede behind him, he repeated "Who are you? What do you want?"

"Your demise," the first voice said in an expressionless voice.

His head swiveling around to face its owner, a piercing noise rent the evening air followed by a faint gurgling noise. Looking down at the site of intense pain that was his lower right torso, and watched blood gush from a small, neat and circular wound in his abdomen. Trey's eyesight began to blur as he shakily looked up into the man's cold, hateful eyes and down to his hand, which held a smoking revolver.

Shuddering violently, Trey Bolton, crumpled and with his last breath whispered, "Run, Kaede… Oh, God… Kaede… Kae…de…"

"Daddy?" Kaede mumbled in a constricted voice, watching her father breath his last and his eyes go out of focus. "Daddy?! Wake up, Daddy… let's go home… Daddy? Daddy?! DADDY!!!!"

The second figure also pulled out a gun and said heartlessly, "And now for this evil's spawn…"

The second assailant finger began to apply lethal pressure on the trigger when suddenly a flash of steely talons streaked through the air, lashing the gun out of her wrist. She screamed and clutched her wrist, swearing under her breath as her partner took aim at the Bird Pokémon and fired. The bullet found its mark and the Flying type keeled with a screech before disappearing swiftly.

Damn! A Double Team! The man thought in frustration. Before he knew what was happening, the real Pidgeotto flew in and attacked the man's gun hand with his vicious talons.

"Damn it! Die!" he roared, pulling out a knife.

"Come, our mission has been compromised," The second attacker said swiftly. "We'll return for the… abomination," (she had said the word with unwonted viciousness), "later."

The man nodded and both of them pelted down the alleyway with Pidgeotto in full pursuit.

Ricon came charging around the corner, worry mixed with abject horror in his eyes. Rushing towards the man he examined quickly for any sign of life that he might have still borne.

"Kaede! Oh, my God… Trey!" Ricon said frantically, desperately searching for a sign that would renounce what all his senses were telling him, but it was no use.

Kaede slowly rocked her father's limp form and whispered, "Wake up, Daddy. Please wake up. I love you, Daddy… please wake up…"

Damn it all, Ricon thought as Pidgeotto returned empty taloned. Apparently, the mysterious assailants had fled the scene. We were too late…

<Your orders, Ricon-hame?> Pidgeotto said softly, bowing his head in respect to the passing of Trey Bolton.

"Get Gregor. Tell him… tell him there's another one for the morgue," Ricon said almost as though suffering from a bad head cold although it was a warm evening. "And then tell, Joy to set an extra place at the table. Kaede will be staying with us for a while."

<Acknowledged,> the Pidgeotto nodded, taking flight.

Reaching down towards Trey's face, he slid his eyelids over his blank, staring eyes and taking a solitary pokéball he knew contained a Shelgon told the little girl softly, "C'mere, Kaede. We've gotta go."

"No! I won't leave Daddy!" Kaede cried, sobbing on her father's chest.

Ricon began to cry softly too. "I know, Kaede. I know. He'll always watch over us from the great Sky…"

Kaede leapt into Ricon's arms and wept uncontrollably. With what looked like a world of effort, he picked her up and carried her towards his home.

He was decided.

Kaede would have a normal life. Free from fear. Free from pain.

And he would make sure she got it, or, as her father had done before him, die trying.

One thing he knew, he couldn't do it alone… he needed help…

…he needed her.

Grand Corei Desert

"Damn it, Carla! Why'd you come after me?" Kamren roared, attempting to swat away the snakelike Pokémon with a thin branch he'd found on his way to rescue her.

"I was worried about you, that's why!"Carla retorted, gathering her injured Faelock and Sandshrew back into their pokéballs. "If only we could reach Tora's pokéball…"

"You dropped it?!" Kamren asked in hysterical disbelief, swinging his weapon at the Pythorn, who seized it in its large maw and snapped it effortlessly.

Damn it, Kamren thought dejectedly. We're screwed!

"We're gonna die, aren't we?" Carla moaned.

"Looks like it," Kamren said grimly, as the Boamba and Pythorn moved in for the kill.

"Before we bite the big one, Kamren," Carla said softly. "Why are you here, helping me?"

Facing the serpent Pokémon as they slithered nearer, Kamren replied, "It's what friends do… isn't it?"

Carla was stunned. True, she had been the only one to remain friends with Kamren after his father left home, but that he thought enough of her to be spurred into action like this was almost like the Kamren she'd met all those years ago… the one she admired…

…the one she loved.

Four feet away from striking range, loud howls rent the air, the serpentine Pokémon, suddenly startled, turned tail and fled the scene.

Kamren and Carla blinked. In one instant, the canyon had been littered with snakes. The next, they had vanished.

Turning to stare at each other, Carla voice the question both of them were thinking. "Do you think we're OK?"

Before he could answer, the howl came again, much closer than before. The two teens' heads swiveled in unison to see a pack of evil-looking, drooling Jackal Pokémon coming closer. The three foot tall Pokémon had ash grey overcoats of fur hanging on their lanky, blood red bodies. Their tongues liked their muzzles obscenely as they prowled closer, their eyes fixed tantalizingly upon the injured Carla and the exhausted Kamren.

I take what I thought back, Kamren thought quietly, desperate not to show fear. Now we're screwed!

The lead Crackal crouched low and leapt for Carla's throat. Yelling, Kamren leapt in between them just as something large swiped the air, sending the Jackal Pokémon flying with a high-pitched yelp.

Kamren looked up… yes, up… and saw something that took his breath away. Over six foot of muscle stood between them and the Crackal cornering them. Vibrant orange pelt slashed with black stripes covered its large form; a mane of creamy white fur cloaked its head and upper torso like a hood. Its long tail swished from side to side as its three foot long arms flexed in anticipation of a battle.

"No way…" Kamren said faintly, staring at the tiger that had appeared miraculously to defend them. "Burner?"

The Volcat looked back at the boy with a brilliant jade green eye and nodded slightly.

<Looks like I'm stuck with you again,> Burner said indifferently. <So… shall we take care of these guys?>

Kamren smirked and said, "Just go easy on 'em, will ya?"

***​

"Geez, Burner… there was no need to use that Crackal as a sledgehammer, you know," Kamren laughed as they left the canyon behind them and returned to camp, Carla riding on Burner's back.

<Hey, it was still alive after all that, wasn't it?> Burner replied with a smirk of his own.

The two looked at each other for a moment, the cool evening air ruffling their har and burst out laughing in unison, all enmity forgotten.

Carla was clutching Kamren's arm as he walked alongside Burner back to their campsite, her eyes closed and a peaceful expression on her face. Burner looked at her out of the corner of his eye and smirked, <So, have you professed undying love for Carla yet?>

Kamren flushed scarlet and hissed, "Shut up."

"Kamren, Carla! There you guys are!" Calvin called, running up to meet them with Dex. "That guy wouldn't leave… said he wanted to talk to Carla no matter what…"

Carla's green eyes opened and she said, "Who wants to see me out here?"

"That would be me," a smooth baritone voice said quietly.

Rubin Manson stepped out from behind one of the tents and said brusquely, "I'd like a private word."

***​

Kamren, Calvin and Dex waited outside her tent where she was talking with the ace coordinator.

"Just who does that guy think he is?!" Calvin stormed, pacing the ground furiously. "If Keno wasn't out cold right now, I'd have him send that upstart flying!"

Kamren, slumped in a reclining position against Burner's side, yawned lazily and replied, "Relax, Calvin. We'll soon know," he said, watching the shadows in the lit tent move towards the entrance while stroking the Fire Tiger's side.

Carla appeared moments later with her travelling bag over her shoulder and announced "I've decided to travel with Rubin for a while."

"WHAT?!"Calvin and Dex yelped in shock. Burner and Kamren's eyes narrowed slightly.

"Look, I know it's sudden," Carla went on hurriedly. "It's just that, how many coordinators would pass up the chance to study as a protégée under a prodigy like Rubin?"

"You sure that's it, hunh?" Calvin spluttered unsure what he was hearing.

"It's not like we won't be able to keep in touch," Carla went on with a bite of impatience in her voice now. "There are PokéNavs for these sorts of situations. "I'll call every day…"

"But then again, who said we'd talk to you?" Calvin answered her nastily.

Carla flinched at the harshness of her brother's words. Kamren exhaled softly and looking towards his tent and away from Carla, pulled out a pair of tinted glasses and donned them, masking the emotion his eyes might betray.

"Why now, Carla?" Dex said, unsure how she could make such a rash decision.

"Kamren? Are-are you OK with this?"Carla asked uncertainly, suddenly having trouble meeting his goose grey eyes.

Without looking back, Kamren said calmly, "What can I say? You're decided, right?"

"Y-yeah," Carla said, looking desperately at Kamren, trying to catch his eye, make him understand it was for the best, but the Coreian boy trainer refused to oblige.

"Then go," Kamren said softly, picking himself up off the dusty floor. Dusting off his navy blue cargo pants he walked over to his tent without so much as a glance at her. Burner followed him, throwing Carla a scathing look.

"Well, then," Carla said, turning to her brother; who looked betrayed, to Dex who just looked stunned, she said awkwardly, "I guess I'll see you later then."

"NO!" Calvin yelled angrily. "I NEVER WANT TO SEE YOU AGAIN!"

"Calvin…" Carla said shocked but he overrode her again.

"GET OUT! GET OUT NOW AND NEVER COME BACK! I HATE YOU!"

Carla retracted her hand, bowed her head and walked off into the cold desert night alongside Rubin.

"Carla…" Dex said in a lost voice.

Meanwhile, Calvin rounded on Kamren's tent and roared "Are you really OK with this?!"

No voice came from the tent.

"If you'd just said she should stay, she'd… she'd…" he mouthed silently for several moments, too furious for coherent speech, before roaring, "WHY DIDN'T YOU SAY ANYTHING?! SAY SOMETHING!"

Finally Kamren responded. "Shut up, Calvin."

"Wha… what?" Calvin spluttered.

"Let Carla make her own decisions for once," Kamren's voice said softly from the tent. "Stop clinging to her like a baby. Grow up."

"You… you…" Calvin spluttered in rage. "I'm going!" he said, packing his bag hurriedly and storming off after Carla's retreating back.

Dex was left alone out in the cold. "Kamren? What do I do?"

The tent unzipped and Kamren poked out his head. Staring after Calvin's shrinking back he said, "Go with Calvin. I'll be OK alone."

"But…" Dex said, unwilling to leave his best friend behind.

"Go ahead," Kamren urged him. "He needs you more than I do right now. Plus he's not old enough to look after himself mentally, no matter what I said."

Dex stared open-mouthed at Kamren for a few minutes, before Kamren said, "If you don't hurry, you'll lose him. Just keep in touch, OK? We'll meet again soon," Kamren reassured his friend. "All of us."

Dex nodded slowly and packed up the tent and his things. In a few minutes, he hurried off after the juvenile researcher as Kamren exhaled heavily and scooted over to give Burner, Volt and Ciela more room. He stared at the photo in his hand which showed all four of them together at Kamren, Carla and Dex's graduation from Olville Pokémon Academy.

Yes, the group had always resolved their differences… always hung together… always sorted thing out…

… how on earth were they going to put this back together?

***​

CHARACTER PROFILE OF THE WEEK

Name: Kamren Kent
Date of Birth: November 22nd, PA 2001
Eye Colour: Grey
Hair Colour: Reddish blond

Theme: Never Look Back by Crush 40
Current Teammates: Burner (Volcat), Ciela (Zwi-tail), Volt (Jolteon)
Pokémon at the Yew Observatory: Unknown

Background: Kamren is Sapph's rival. A stuck up, arrogant and hardcore youth, Kamren is the kind of person who lives by the words 'Might makes right'.

Kamren however wasn't always this way. When he moved away from Nightspark City with his family, he was a happy smiling boy who was easy to get along with. After his father left home without so much as a farewell, Kamren turned cold, and swore to be strong wnough to support his mother and sister, and to find thier coward of a father and bring him home, no matter what it took.

Finally, making some killer introduction to four more Corei-Dex entries!

Name: Faelock

Corei-Dex Number: 033

Type: Grass/Flying

Species: Sun Bird

Pronunciation: fie-lock

Height: 5'11"

Weight: 98kg

Habitat: Grassland

Evolution Line: LEAFEN –(16)->PLUMOWL-(32)->FAELOCK

Name Derivation: FAEL is LEAF spelt backwards + cOCKerel

Notes: it is said that a Faelock's multicoloured wings are spread wide to welcome the morning sun. They always roost facing the east, as though waiting for the sun to rise.

Name: Volcat

Corei-Dex Number: 006

Type: Fire

Species: Fire Tiger

Height: 6'02"

Weight: 165 lbs

Habitat: Grassland

Evolution Line: Fryger-(16)->Therline-(36)->Volcat

Name Derivation: VOLcano + CAT

Notes: Volcat are the harbingers of destruction. When in a rage, Volcat are known to destroy nearby water sources by evaporating it with merely increasing its body temperature.

Name: Crackal

Corei-Dex Number: 042

Species: Jackal

Pronunciation: crah-kahl

Height: 3'09"

Weight: 37kg

Habitat: Rough-terrain

Evolution Line: CELCUB-(Fire Stone)-> CRACKAL

Name Derivation: CRAckle (sound made by open fire) + jaCKAL

Notes: Crackal hunt in packs, although they feed themselves fist and leave the scraps to the young CELCUB of the colony.

Name: Pythorn

Corei-Dex Number: 186

Type: Grass/Poison

Species: Python

Pronunciation: pie-thorn

Height: 11'07"

Weight: 122kg

Habitat: Rough-terrain

Evolution Line: CACTADDER-(18)->BOAMBA-(30)->PYTHORN

Name Derivation: PYthon + THORN

Notes: Pythorn immobilizes its prey by wrapping its thorny body around its prey and stabbing it repeatedly with its poisonous horn.

L@er!

Years
  • Seen Oct 19, 2013
The Quest continues...

My apologies for neglecting the fic in recent weeks. I ca do nothing but say I'm sorry to whoever still reads. And so, without further ado... Chapter Twenty Five of The Corei Quest...

Chapter Twenty Five: King of the Volcano​

"Finally! Appleburn City!" Haley Kent exclaimed as she shook dust out of her long, reddish blonde hair, overjoyed to have finally left the Great Corei Desert behind them. "Onsen, here I come!"

"You mean, 'Appleburn Gym, here we come!" Sapph Manson replied, lowering the hood of his green and tan cloak and looking around, his blue eyes alight with the prospect of winning another Corei League badge. "Though it does seem to be a bad choice to build a town, though…"

Appleburn City had been set into the foot of the volcanic Mount Appleburn. Rock gardens seemed to be the ideal lawn ornaments of choice for as many houses as Sapph's blue eyes could see. Natural steam seemed to issue from the ground under their feet, creating a humid atmosphere that many a tropical plant seemed to thrive on. The red rooftops of the many slate grey buildings seemed to blend in with the red soil on which they stood.

"Relax, Sapph," Sky assured him, also pulling off her white and black hooded cloak and stretching; Drago, her Charmeleon, imitating her at her heels. "Appleburn's an extinct volcano."

<'at's right, mate,> Drago agreed in his Aussie accent.

"Just where do Pokémon pick up their accents anyways?" Sapph wondered as the trio made their plans.

"Who knows?" Haley said, shrugging. "Well, let's hit the hot springs first and then…"

"No way, mate," Sky said brusquely. "We're hitting the gym first!"

"Hot springs!" Haley said back angrily.

"No…Gym!" Sky retorted loudly.

Not again… Sapph thought dejectedly. Pointedly avoiding joining the eighty-seventh 'discussion', he turned his attention to the League Constitution so as not to run afoul of any more clauses of Clyff Endlethorn.

"HOT SPRINGS!"

"GYM!"

"HOT SPRINGS!"

"GYM!"

"HOT SPRINGS!"
"GYM!"

"HOT SPRINGS!"

"GYM!"

"HOT SPRINGS!"

"HOT SPRINGS!" Sky yelled, with a devilish glint in her eye.

"GYM!" Haley yelled back, hell-bent on disagreeing.

"Right! It's settled!" Sky said triumphantly, turning towards the gym and marching off quickly before Haley worked out what had happened.

***​

"CLOSED?!" Sapph and Sky yelled in indignation, staring at the small sign on the red brick gym's double glass door.

"Told you we should have done the hot springs first!" Haley said in a smugly superior voice.

"Shut up, Haley," Sky growled.

"Why'd you want to come here first anyway, Sky?" Sapph asked curiously. It was no secret that the Chinooka City local wanted to replace her older brother Ricon Wingams as the new Gym Leader. "Do you need badges to become a Gym Leader?"

"Not really," Sky replied glumly, as they tailed Haley up the busy commercial area's streets towards the spa. "I just thought the best place to train a fire type like Drago would be…"

"…a fire type gym?" Sapph guessed slyly.

Startled, Sky nodded. "How'd you guess?"

"Oh, I dunno… volcano, hot springs?" Sapph replied with a grin. "Kind of a give away, no?"

Sky smirked back.

"How about we lose Haley and go find somewhere to train then?" Sapph muttered to the younger girl behind Haley's back, the latter of who was in full flow about the wonders of steam baths. "Arcana and Lavender could do with a little bit of training before the match, if we won't be able to do it today."

Grinning widely, Sky nodded and the two trainers slowed to a stop allowing Haley to walk on ahead, oblivious to the fact that she was now rambling to nobody in particular.

***​

"OK, ready for a workout, Drago?" Sky cheered as Drago yawned and stomped into the practice field that was about a quarter mile from the back wall of the outdoor hot baths.

<Sure thing, Sheila!> Drago quipped, stretching his scaly fingers open to reveal foot long claws.

"Then let's start with your Scratch attack!" Sky grinned, pointing at a large boulder that sat near the edge of the field.

"OK, Lavender, Arcana," Sapph cried, releasing his Pokémon onto the field. "Practice time!"

In two bursts of white light, the Eevee and Growlithe took shape on the field and ruffling their manes and exchanging pleasantries with each other, crouched into battle stances.

"Not against Drago, guys," Sapph corrected them, and both straightened up looking at Sapph (and a tree, in Lavender's case) in some surprise.

"Arcana, you'll be working on your accuracy training. Lavender, you're on evasion training," Sapph went on.

Whilst Arcana looked nonplussed, Lavender's ears perked as she turned to Sapph and exclaimed, <But I've only ever done evasion training with Anii before! Why the change? No offense, Arcana…>

<None taken, girl,> Arcana replied. <But I don' understan' whut ah'm meant ta be doin' and all that…>

"Oh, it's fairly simple," Sapph explained. "Arcana, you'll be shooting Ember at Lavender. Lavender will be doing her best to evade them."

<But, Sapph…> Lavender protested. <What if she hits me? Anii always warned me when he'd attack during training…>

"Yeah, well… not every opponent will be that giving, Lavender," Sapph said with a faint frown. Kneeling down next to his Evolution Pokémon, he added in a whisper, "You may be blind… but you aren't deaf, are you?"

Lavender's eyes widened as the hint hit home.

<Right!> Lavender cheered. <Arcana- nuo, don't hold anything back!>

Still looking unsure, Arcana nodded and readied a large fireball in her fanged mouth. Opening and closing her mouth rapidly, she sent several smaller fireballs careening towards Lavender, who had her eyes shut tight and her muscles tense.

Lavender leapt backwards t

o avoid the first fireball, which hit the ground were her forepaws stood moments ago. Back flipping again, she avoided another two fireballs which had greater range, before rolling to the left to avoid the fourth projectile. The fifth however struck her square in between the eyes, warranting a yell of pain form the smaller quadruped Pokémon and a flash of orange red light as she evolved into Flareon.

<The hell, girl… don'tcha need one've 'em dang Fire Stones to do that ****?> Arcana exclaimed as she reverted back to her Eevee staged and rubbed a paw over the spot of singed fur where she'd been hit.

"It's Lavender's ability," Sapph explained. "Each evolution isn't permanent, though. How're you feeling, Lavender?"He added, looking over at the Normal type in some concern.

<Just peachy, Sapph,> Lavender reassured him. <Well, let's carry on, Arcana-nuo…>

"Hey, Sapph!" Sky called over. "Drago needs someone to train with! Reckon you can help?"

"Sure thing, Sky! Go, Zen!"Sapph replied, releasing the furry Fighting type into the fray.

Flexing his metallic arm, Zen said to Drago, <Hope your worth all the pain I'm about to put you through, Lizard Head.>

Stretching out his claws further, Drago chuckled and replied, <I believe that's my line, cobber.>

"Alright, Zen, let's get 'em!" Sapph yelled, getting into the training program.

<Whatever, Kid,> Zen growled, readying an Aura Sphere.

"OK, Drago! Let's rock!" Sky yelled.

<Right on!> Drago replied, his claws glowing scarlet as he dropped into a battle stance.

Before either Pokémon could move a muscle, a distinct scream of "THIEF!"rent the air. All six heads swiveled in the direction of the noise and saw a shady character that Sapph recognized with a pang of annoyance. Running towards them with a brown purse clutched in his grubby hands was the 'renowned' Pokémon salesman known simply as Shade, who had, barely a month ago attempted to sell Sapph stolen Pokémon, just before an attempt to lift Anuvi off him.

Not him again! Sapph thought in frustration as Shade seeing where he was going stopped five feet short of the training Pokémon and their trainers.

Recognizing Sapph from their run-in back in EverWood Forest, Shade blanched and screamed, "Not you again!"

"Hunh?" Sky said, totally lost. "Have you two met?"

"Regrettably," Shade spat, his eyes darting around looking for an escape route.

"That's my line!" Sapph roared back, ticked off at the felon's tone of voice. "Zen, get 'im!"

<I'm busy,> Zen said contemptuously, turning back to face Drago.

Sapph face-faulted. Hard.

Before he could utter a frustrated yell at his Combatant Pokémon, a loud yell that sounded like it came straight from a comic book exclaimed, "Stop right there, hombire!"

Sapph was sure all their necks would twist off with all the twisting they were doing, as for the second time that day, they turned sharply to see a young man in an elaborately tattooed hoodie ride around the corner on the back of a palomino unicorn which possessed a flaming mane and tail. As Sapph, Sky and Shade watched, the man leapt from the back of his elegant Rapidash right on top of the thief, slamming him and into the concrete.

"That will be the last purse you will steal, perpetrator!" He then said to Shade's undeniably unconscious form as the policewoman on patrol rushed up to the scene followed by a distressed young woman whom Sapph guessed the purse belonged to.

"Oh, Fuego! Thank you, thank you!" The young woman said, evidently overjoyed and starry-eyed at the identity of her hero.

"It was my pleasure, amare mia," the man replied, false modesty in his voice, getting off Shade's prone form to allow the police take the thief into custody.

"Sorry to trouble you on your day off, Mr. Fuego," the policewoman said, yanking Shade to his feet and cuffing him.

"Think nothing of it, marieta," Fuego said in a detached voice. "I was bored."

Sapph stole a glance at Sky and saw she was regarding the mystery man with a look of disgust. Marching up to the trio, Sky tapped the man in the small of his back, it being the highest part of his body she could reach.

The man turned around to face Sapph and Sky, who looked like she was in a towering temper, revealing vermillion brown eyes and jet black hair which fell elegantly into his eyes and said in his magnanimous voice, "I'm sorry, marieta, but you'll have to wait for an… OOOF!"

Sapph, Arcana and Drago winced emphatically as Sky laid into his groin with a left jab that was sure to hurt. As he sank to his knees in pain, Zen whistled and said, <Nice…shot!>

<What happened, Sapph?> Lavender asked Arcana.

Arcana and Sapph sweat dropped as Sapph answered, "Fuego took a shot to his winky."

<Left jab,> Arcana added in a shocked voice.

<Really?>

<Yeah,> Arcana said.

<Ouch.>

"Ah… Sky… nice to see you again," Fuego said in a squeaky voice as everyone stared transfixed at the scene of brutality.

"You flirtin' sonuva…" Sky snarled, staring down at Fuego with disgust. "You'll never change."

Looks like looking for a place to train Drago wasn't the only thing on Sky's mind, Sapph thought feebly.

After Fuego regained his ability to stand and speak coherently, he stood up and acknowledged his assailant.

"Ah… amare mia Sky. What a pleasure… still as feisty as ever…" Fuego said in his flamboyantly flippant voice.

"Gimme a baseball bat and I'll show you feisty," Sky muttered darkly.

Sapph was seriously wondering how the hell the guy could remain smiling when Sky was shooting him looks of bloody murder.

"Charmed… and you are?"

It took a minute for Sapph to register that Fuego had directed his question at him. Pointing at himself, he said, "Who, me? Sapph Manson. From Cherry-"

"Yes, yes, that's nice," Fuego said dismissively, waving off Sapph's introduction early.

"H-hey! I was talking here!" Sapph spluttered, reddening.

"Yes, I'm sure you were," Fuego said in a bored voice. "Now, Sky… how may I help you, marieta mia?"

"Other than dropping dead? I dunno…" Sky said in a deliberately slow voice. "How about telling us where the hell you've been today!"

"Well, uhm… as hero of the… well, the thing is… the emergency… at the… uh, Pokémon Mart… the uhhh… ummm, robber… yeah! Well, anyway, heeee…uuhh…" Fuego muttered sheepishly.

"Yeah, right."

"You don't believe me, do you?"

"Yeaaaaaa…no," Sapph and Sky said in unison.

"Didn't think so," Fuego said drily.

Just as the words escaped his lips, the communicator on the belt of his shorts beeped and a crackly voice came over the intercom. "Gym Leader! Gym Leader! We have an emergency here!"

Sighing at the tone of the man's voice, he unclipped it and said with an ostentatious yawn, "You are a man, are you not? Settle it yourself then!"

A lady's voice suddenly came over the radio, all panicky and exclaimed, "Fuego-hame! The natural gas lines in the volcano are cracking all over Sector Two!"

At the sound of the lady's voice, however, Fuego's whole aspect changed at once. Adopting his bold, daring voice, he declared knowledgeably, "There must be some disturbance in the mountain then. Stay strong," he announced leaping atop his Rapidash. "I'll be there!"

"Hurry!" The voice yelled again.

With a flick of his hair, Fuego wheeled his steed to face the mountain and said, "My deepest apologies, marieta… and, errm… Raph?"

"Sapph," Sapph corrected him through gritted teeth.

"Whatever," Fuego said dismissively. "I must go save my people. I will return to the gym afterwards. We may talk then."

With a heroic yell, he urged the Rapidash on at top speed, racing towards the scene of trouble.

"So…" Sapph said in a long, drawn out breath. "That's Fuego."

"Yep," Sky said listlessly.

"The Gym Leader."

"Uh… huh," Sky agreed.

"Do you think he'll really be back?"

"Nope," Sky said in the same voice, recalling Drago.

"Didn't think so," Sapph said wistfully, copying her actions and running off after her and Fuego.

***​

"Well, honestly," Haley scowled, pouting as she stood akimbo in a large white towel. "Sapph could have done with a hot bath, too… with his body not totally recovered and all."

She looked at the steamed up glass doors that lead to the bathing area and sighed.

"Oh well, here's beauty treatment in your eye!" she said with a smirk, running to the bath's edge and leaping in, towel and all.

You didn't need very good hearing to know what she went through next. All of Appleburn could hear Haley's scream of pain, from the most astute Pokémon to the most deaf of old men.

"EEEEEEEEYAAAAAAAGH! COOOOOOLD!"

***​

"This is pointless," Sapph said dejectedly after running for a quarter of an hour. "We'll never catch him at this rate!"

Sky didn't respond. She'd suddenly stopped running, staring at a department store's large glass windows.

Sapph looked back and watched Sky with a twinge of annoyance.

"Hey, Sky! We don't have time to window shop!" He said irritably, marching towards the girl with the air of pulling her away, until he stole a glance at the window, which displayed bicycles.

Sapph gasped and plunged his hand into his bag. Pulling out a white envelope, he pulled out a slip of paper and stared at it, the memory of the slip returning to him…

-Flashback-

"Sapph! Hello!" Mrs. Kent greeted jovially. "You left in quite a hurry the other day! Where have you been then? Haley and Kamren both left yesterday!"

"At the Centre." Sapph replied. "This is Mongle, by the way," he added as Mongle chose that moment to come spiralling out of his pokéball onto the grass, causing Mrs. Kent's Pidgeot to take flight in mild alarm.

<Hi, you're really pretty!> Mongle piped.

"Well, isn't he lovely? By the way, Sapph you left something…"

"Erm, I did?" Sapph asked, puzzled as Mongle jumped onto the table as scooped up an armful of cinnamon chocolate chip cookies and proceeded to stuff himself silly.

Mrs. Kent nodded and called for a maid. Lucinda came out, carrying a book and an envelope. Leaving them on the table, she nodded to Sapph and Mrs. Kent and left.

"But, Mrs. Kent, isn't that…" Sapph started, staring at the green trainers' manual.

"Yes, but I'd like you to have it. Haley and I already know it off by heart and Kamren would never read it if I gave it to him…" Mrs. Kent said matter-of-factly. "What's in the envelope is yours, too. Don't lose it now!"

Mongle, after stashing a small horde of the cinnamon goodies for later, jumped onto Sapph's shoulder to see as Sapph pulled a slip of paper out from the envelope. "Wow, a Bike Voucher! Thanks, Mrs. Kent!"

"You're quite welcome, dear. Well, I suppose you'd better run along now. Good luck and take care!" Mrs. Kent said with a graceful smile.

"Bye! And thanks again!" Sapph said, turning to leave.

-End Flashback-

"Good idea, Sky!" Sapph cheered, slapping the girl on the back. "On bikes we can get there much faster!"

"One problem, Sapph mate," Sky said mournfully. "I haven't got enough for a bike."

Sapph face faulted.

"Then why the heck did you stop?!" Sapph yelled, losing patience with the female's pathological desire to widow shop at the worst possible time.

"Cause I thought I should get a pair of roller blades," Sky replied. "They're much cheaper."

Sapph slapped his face with his left hand and dragged it down his face slowly.

"Well, that's better than nothing I suppose," Sapph said with a groan as he led Sky into the store.

Bicycle parts hung on every available wall surface. Complete bikes stood in neat rows throughout the store in many different hues and shades. On the wall behind the cashier's desk stood a shelf laden with roller blades, skateboards and riding gear. Sapph, glancing at the voucher once more, turned to the counter and saw that the clerk was attending to someone else.

Sapph's eyes widened as he saw a familiar purple haired boy paying for a mountain bike, an old-looking humanoid Pokémon at his heels. Boulders adorned the Pokémon's shoulders like epaulettes, and as the boy's purple eyes looked out the window straight into Sapph's eyes, a mutual flash of understanding shot between them.

"Slate! How's it going?"Sapph greeted, walking forward to grasp the older teen's hand in a firm handshake. "Clyff was in a right state when you resurrected Aerodactyl 'without prior permission'," Sapph informed the Orebourgh-born trainer, mimicking the Dinocanyon City Gym Leader as he uttered the last three words.

"Sapph! Ol' buddy, ol' pal!" Slate replied, grinning from ear to ear at the news of his uncle. "How's the league campaign going?"

"Not bad," Sapph said cheerfully. "I beat Ricon about a week ago… oh, this is Sky, by the way… his little sister."

"Hey there, mate," Sky greeted cheerfully.

"How do you do?"Slate replied. "So, I'd wager you're going to challenge Appleburn's leader next… Fuego, was it?"

"Well, he's got a bit of a priority issue…" Sapph began with an irritable wince and within ten minutes the story was told.

"Well, that's bad," Slate said worriedly. "If the natural gas lines are clogged, a major eruption could occur, swamping Appleburn City with lava!"

"L-la-LAVA?!" Sapph shrieked, breaking out in a feverishly cold sweat. Rounding on Sky, he yelled frantically, "D-didn't you say Appleburn's extinct?!"

"It should have been," Sky mused, scratching her chin thoughtfully. "Curious…"

"Well, it's decided," Slate said in a take charge kind of voice. "Sapph and Sky, grab some gear. We've got to save Appleburn!"

"Who died and left you in charge?" Sky pouted, pooling her money for a pair of roller blades as Sapph picked out a BMX.

Thinking hard, Sapph said, "Hey, Sky… wanna trade?"

Sky eyes widened. "Say what, mate?"

"Trust me, you'll get to the mountain faster with these," Sapph said quickly, grabbing the skating apparatus and wheeling the bicycle into Sky's hands.

"Well, if you insist," Sky said slowly, taking the riding helmet and wheeling her bicycle out after the boys.

***​

Ten minutes later, the smoking peak of Mount Appleburn loomed overhead as the trio raced towards the scene, Sapph popping some incredible leaps and tricks on the roller blades as he managed to keep abreast with Slate and Sky, who were pedaling for all they were worth.

"I didn't know you can roller blade, Sapph," Sky called from atop a second-hand BMX bike as the three of them raced towards the mountain.

"Had a bit of practice a few years back," Sapph replied, referring to the free lessons he'd won learning how from Derek Hesnon, four year local inline skating champion.

"Look at that crowd!" Slate called as they neared the foot of the mountain. "I don't reckon we'll be allowed to climb the mountain from there…"

"Go figure, Einstein," Sky scowled, a little short on breath as they neared the throng.

"We'd better take a diversion," Sapph called to the others.

"Leave that to me!" Slate called, releasing a Pokémon from his belt which formed the middle sized Pokémon with large boulders Sapph had seen in the store with Slate. "Grandpa, clear the way with Land Power!"

The Rock Man Pokémon nodded once and slammed the ground with terrific force with his arms crossed. Opening them sharply, he caused a path to appear between the innumerable boulders with a loud rumbling noise and a slight tremor. Bringing his hands down from his chest level to his navel palms down, the path smoothened swiftly with one last tremor and silence reigned.

"So that's where Zen learned that stance!" Sapph said in jubilant wonderment.

"Amazing," Sky said faintly.

"Thank you," Slate said pompously, returning Grandpa the Geome with a flamboyant flair. "Shall we go?"

***​

As the trio made their way up the mountain, Haley was at the hot springs' manager's office, trying to figure out what was going on… or find someone to blame.

"What do you mean, 'circumstances beyond your control'?" Haley yelled at the manager who was cowering behind his office chair, almost as though attempting to shield himself from Haley's horrible fury.

"Please, try to understand," the manager squeaked in fright. "The natural gas lines are suffering damage… our leader will be able to sort it out soon…"

"Soon? SOON?!" Haley bellowed hysterically, causing the manager to squeal like a frightened little child. "I don't want soon… I WANT NOW!"

Storming away from the office, she added in a growling voice, "And what I want, I make sure I get!"

***​

"OK, so now what?" Sapph asked frantically, staring around for a sign of the elusive Gym Leader.

"My reasoning dictates that he'd be under the ground," Slate said, also looking around. "But I don't see anyway under the tough igneous shell of the mountain… not even my Anorith's Dig attack can penetrate it…"

"As we say in Dunedé: 'Az terruchi redento mikst sundé persevira hamate'… 'Even the toughest earth is packed sand to the man who perseveres'," Sky said sagely, enlarging a red and white capture sphere of her own. "Stand clear!"

A flash of white light and steely claws later, Drago's flaming tail disappeared into the ground as he hacked away at the rock with Metal Claw, hewing a hole in the mountain with groundbreaking force and astonishing speed.

"Well, cloaks out, Sapph," Sky said briskly, fishing out her own and draping it around her shoulders.

"Won't you feel hotter down there with that thing on?" Sapph asked carefully, not willing to tick her off in case he sounded arrogant.

"Not really," Sky replied leading the way into the mountain. "They're fire-proof."

"Sweet!" Sapph cried, pulling out his cloak and throwing it over his back as made to follow.

Slate made to follow when a round of large fireballs scorched the ground at his feet. Looking up, he saw a huddle of strange creatures with smooth, yet slightly cracked shells. Each stood at around two foot seven inches and were bearing down on him slowly yet steadily, fireballs issuing from their mouths.

Larvle! They must be trying to break us up! Slate thought, ducking and swaying as he evaded the Ember attacks. "Looks like I'll have to handle these guys first," Slate called down the makeshift shaft to Sapph and Sky. "Go on ahead, I'll catch up!"

"OK, be careful!" Sapph called as he watched Slate release Geome and another large winged beast to combat the multitude of Fire types.

Drago kept up his vicious slashing and hacking at the rock for about a quarter of an hour, before they emerged in a cavernous space littered with rocky pillars formed from conjoined stalagmites and stalactites. A permanent heat haze hung in the air, making the air swim before the youths' eyes. Streams of molten lava which ran along the floor and crisscrossed all over the cave gave the cavern the appearance and lighting of a photography dark room.

"OK… so now which way?" Sapph said loudly, fighting to overcome the dizziness the heat of the volcano's interior was imposing on him.

"I dunno… SAPPH, WATCH IT!" Sky yelled knocking him out of the way of an incoming boulder. The huge mass of stone hurtled towards the Chinooka local before it was shattered to rubble by Drago's Metal Claw.

Sapph pushed himself to his feet and stared at where the boulder had appeared from to see a second ball of stone roll down the hill towards Sky and Drago, who, standing behind a stalagmite, could not see it coming.

"Sky! Watch out!" Sapph yelled as the boulder sprang alive, sprouting arms and legs as it landed, revealing the cross facial expression of a ticked off Graveler. Apparently, whatever was hurling the rocks around wasn't paying attention to what it threw. A clear sign of a huffy Pokémon…

"Sky!" Sapph yelled again as the Graveler brought down a powerful Hammer Arm attack, causing a powerful stream of lava to gush out of the rock, separating Drago and Sky from Sapph, who the Graveler had seemed to have ignored.

"Leave this to us, Sapph!" Sky called as she ordered her Charmeleon to leap aside and prepared an Ember attack which hit its mark as Drago flipped away adroitly smashing a couple more smaller boulders with Metal Claw. "Keep going!"

With one last, desperate look at the pair, Sapph nodded and scrambled up the side of the cavern to the large hole in the rock wall from which the Graveler had been thrown from, keeping vigilant for more falling rock.

<Alright, cobber…get ready fer a clobber!> Drago rhymed and he bounced on the balls of his clawed, scaly feet, metallic claws at the ready.

Sapph clambered through the cave opening and found himself in the heart of the volcano. The room here seemed dimmer than the last one and although there was a lot more steam, it felt oddly cooler too as though the walls were blocking off the heat that should have been present. Fuego was there, hiding behind another stone pillar, and sweating profusely as a large behemoth of a Pokémon bore down on him, punching boulders left and right out of its way.

The Pokémon resembled a red Blastoise except it had a diamond-hard shell and no pressure cannons. Several black plates plated the back of its arms as its blue eyes scanned the area for the Gym Leader who had aggravated it by obviously interfering with its plans. Crude looking claws grew from its stout, powerful arms as it roared again, almost as though trying to spew fire, but failing.

Conburn, the Fire Conch Pokémon, the Pokédex beeped. In battle, Conburn release heat into the earth to create mini-eruptions. It makes its homes in the heart of volcanoes.

Sapph dived for cover as a couple more boulders soared straight for where he stood, one or two flying through the hole. Sapph thought he'd seen another Graveler soar through and thought, Looks like Sky's gonna be busy for a while longer, before turning back towards the Pokémon as it let loose an anguished yell and rushed Fuego.

"Zen, get 'im!" Sapph yelled, hoping beyond hope that Zen would listen this time as he threw Zen's pokéball forwards, cracking open as it flew through the air.

The Taebrawl landed lightly and rushed the rampaging Fire type, nailing it in the side with a forceful tackle that sent the Conburn skidding across the rocky ground. Digging in his feet, the Fire type swiped at Zen violently catching Sapph's Pokémon in the face and flinging him away forcefully across the room into another rocky column.

"Zen! You OK?" Sapph called to his Pokémon as his rose to his feet and spat something small and white from his mouth and smiled arrogantly.

<Finally! An opponent who can take a hit!> Zen said softly, wiping a fleck of dark red blood from the corner of his mouth. <Let's play…>

"Zen, don't rush him! He'll just…" Sapph began to command, before Zen got knocked into another monolithic pillar by another fierce swing thrown by the giant Conburn.

"Sapph! What are you doing here?!" Fuego yelled in surprise, staring at the Johton trainer.

"Saving your rear," Sapph said in a disgruntled voice. "I take it that this guy's responsible for the trouble?"He added as Zen laid into the firebrand's face with a mean Rolling Kick.

Fuego nodded and stared back at the battling Pokémon.

"Any idea why it's doing all this?" Sapph asked swiftly.

"It is because it cannot breathe fire."

"Get out! For real?" Sapph gasped as Zen stomped the ground, lifting several boulders of his own into the air. His feet flashed through the air as he sent the rocks racing towards the wild Pokémon. Each projectile hit its mark as the Conburn grunted with each hit it took, retaliating by pounding the ground hard, causing a ridge of sharp stalagmites to explode from the ground straight for Zen, who replied by slamming his bandaged feet into the ground and raising his hands quickly, creating a wall of rock which stopped the Conburn's attack cold.

"Afraid so," Fuego said quickly as the feeling returned to his legs. "Unfortunately, the only way to stop him is to capture him. And I can't get close enough to do that now."

"What the hell?" Sapph yelled as Zen unleashed a vicious Tae Kwon Do kata upon the Conburn's face causing it to roar in rage again, hurling more stones around, which Zen deflected with weak blasts of Confusion. "What kind of Gym Leader are you?"

"One without a usable Pokémon," Fuego replied drily. "The Conburn may be unable to use Fire attacks, but its physical power and Rock type techniques prove to be a handful for a Fire type specialist like myself."

"Great," Sapph said sarcastically as the nearly six foot tall fire golem pounded the ground again, this time forcing Zen to evade quickly. "Just great! Zen, how're you holding up?" He directed to his Fighting type, who had rolled to his feet and was beginning to breathe heavily.

<Badly,> Zen replied, stumbling out of the way of another stony assault. <The last Confusion attack fatigued me… and my arm had to jam up again. For a Fire type, he sure knows how to pack a punch!>

"Well, we need to turn this around and fast!" Sapph commented worriedly. "Ready an Aura Sphere!"

"NO!" Fuego screamed.

Turning to the Gym Leader with a frown on his face, Sapph asked "Why the heck not?"

"Conburn's diverted all the lava channels of the volcano into this room!" Fuego said in horror. "If you miss, you'll cause a river of lava to gush out!"

Almost as though it understood Fuego's words, the Conburn slammed his fist into the wall behind him, a twisted smile on its face. Pulling his arm free sharply, it caused a high pressure jet of lava and natural gas spewing out towards the Combatant Pokémon.

"Great work, Fuego... give it ideas, why don't you," Sapph remarked acidly. Zen, watch out!" Sapph bellowed as the Taebrawl rose to his feet slowly, his eyes and mind focused entirely on the fiery spout. Swinging his right arm in a clockwise circle as he pushed himself off the ground, he somehow managed to send the lava plume shooting upwards towards the ceiling, stunning Sapph, Fuego and the Conburn.

"Of course," Fuego exclaimed, his eyes popping. "Magma is molten rock. Therefore a Taebrawl with land affinity should be able to manipulate that too!"

With a loud grunt of effort, Zen flipped his palm downwards and brought his arm down towards the ground, sending the lava cascading upon the Conburn, which shielded its eyes from the searing heat.

Now's our chance! Sapph thought triumphantly. "Zen, rush 'im with Aura Sphere, now!"

<Well, well,> Zen thought, readying a sphere of blue Megacite energy as he ran in to end the match. <Looks like the kid's gotten a few more good ideas up in that noggin'…>

The Fire Conch Pokémon bellowed in rage as it peeled the cooling magma off its skin and fixed its wild eye upon the smaller Pokémon, who stood right before it, an orange sized orb of power resting in his right hand, which swung around sharply and slammed into the Conburn's body, its shell offering little protection against such a powerful attack at point blank range.

After making contact, the battle-loving Pokémon followed through lifting the larger Pokémon clean off its feet (an incredible feat, as the Fighting type gave away over two feet in height difference to the Conburn, not to mention over seven hundred and thirty kilos in weight) and driving it into the wall behind it with a tremendous roar and an earth-shaking slam.

"That has to end it!" Sapph yelled, pumping his fist as he and Fuego watched Zen draw his palm away from the Conburn's navel, leaving the firebrand free to all to the ground on its knees. Doubled over and wheezing, Zen stared daggers at the Conburn, who returned the glare with interest. Leaping up a few feet, Zen used one last Rolling Kick to knock the Conburn's jaw crooked, and causing the brute to keel over sideways, hitting the ground hard and struggling to stay conscious.

"Alright! Good job, Zen!" Sapph cheered, pulling out an empty pokéball. "Now it's time for a…eh?" Sapph stared as a black and gold pokéball whizzed past his ear and struck the Conburn on the back of its shell, drawing it in as a beam of golden light.

The Ultra Ball hit the ground and began to shake… once… twice… thrice…

Finally, the ball stopped vibrating with a dull metallic ping as the Conburn within gave up the fight and submitted to its new master.

"What…" Sapph spluttered as he spun around to watch Fuego step forward and retrieve his newest capture.

<…the…> Zen added.

The duo then screamed a nasty four-lettered word that rhymes with 'stuck' as Fuego turn to regard Sapph imperiously, the gold chain at his neck glinting as he regained his swagger.

"Well, thanks to your interference, the Conburn nearly succeeded to destroy Appleburn City," Fuego said, tutting Sapph softly. "As punishment, I decree that you shall have your Taebrawl rechannel the lava flow to its natural pathways." Suddenly smiling, he added, "Yet without your assistance, I wouldn't have been able to capture the Conburn at all. As your reward, you may challenge me to a four-on four Pokémon battle for my Inferno badge tomorrow. Now, I must dash," he went on, oblivious to the furious look on Sapph's face. "A hero cannot keep his adoring fans waiting…"

And with a condescending wink, Fuego strutted out of the cave, leaving Sapph and Zen speechless.

<I dunno about you,> Zen said furtively, staring longingly at Fuego's retreating backside as though struggling not to kick it into next year, <but I really wanna kick his ass tomorrow.>

Well, that's one thing we can agree on, Sapph thought furtively as he called out Anuvi to use his Yaiba no Hayashi to carve new trenches to divert the lava flow.

***​

"Sapph! There you are!" Slate exclaimed as the boy trainer tottered out of the cave three hours later with some of the engineers' Pokémon, all of them covered in soot.

"Where've you been, mate?" Sky asked briskly. "Fuego left hours ago…said something about saving the city single handed… the bloated egomaniac."

"Can't talk… must rest… think up ways… to… kill Fuego," Sapph muttered, ambling wearily towards the Pokémon Centre, muttering incoherently.

"What's his problem?" Slate asked Sky, totally nonplussed.

"If you don't know, then I won't tell you," Sky replied nastily.

"I rather don't appreciate your tone, miss!" Slate huffed. "Nor do I appreciate your notion that flying type Pokémon are the strongest n the world!"

"They are and you know it," Sky replied adamantly.

"Puh-lease," Slate scoffed as they made to follow Sapph to the Pokémon Center. "Anyone and everyone know that Rock types are the superior Pokémon!"

"Don't waste your breath!" Sky snapped back. "The only rock type worth my time is Aerodactyl… you can take the rest of your rock-headed theories and stuff it, jardo!"

"Hmph… this argument is pointless…" Slate said disdainfully. "And here I thought Sapph had better class that allowing an upstart to accompany him! Haley was much more dignified…"

"That water baby? Gimme a break!" Sky yelled back as they followed Sapph to the Centre for some food and rest, although their argument wouldn't end for many an hour to come.

***​

What a day, Fuego thought tiredly as he returned to the gym to clear up the field for the next day's battle. What else could go wrong with my otherwise perfect day?

"HEY! ARE YOU THE GYM LEADER OR WHAT?" A loud, angry voice bellowed from the doors that lead to the reception area.

Looking up in surprise, Fuego saw a young girl with reddish blonde hair standing in the doorway, staring at the young man with fire in her eyes.

"That depends, marieta mia," Fuego replied charmingly. "May I… assist you?" he added, his eyes roving all over her eleven year old frame as she marched up to the leader, her fist clenched.

"Oh, yes," Haley said in a brittle voice, noticing his eye movements and masking her scowl with a sweet smile. "Yes, you can…"

A second loud crunching noise later had the Gym Leader slumped upon the floor, clutching some…erm, important goods and screaming in blinding pain.

"That's for denying me my hot spring adventure," Haley snarled, her right fist in her left hand. "As for you lecherous attitude…"

"What… the hell… woman, do you know I can have you arrested?" Fuego squeaked from the floor.

"…I think a battle's in order… unless you're afraid," Haley went on, ignoring Fuego's threat.

Fuego leapt to his feet and grinned a toothy grin. "Very well," he proclaimed proudly. "I shall battle you two on two. If you win, you shall receive an Inferno badge and my sincerest apologies. If I win," he said, shooting Haley another flirtatious look, "you will be my date for the evening!"

Haley smirked as they took their places on the field, knowing that the battle was as good as hers as they raised their pokéballs.

***​

CHARACTER PERSONALITY OF THE WEEK
Name: Sky Wingams
Date of Birth: May 17th, PA 2004
Eye Colour: Brown
Hair Colour: Brown

Theme: Precious Heart from Street Fighter EX Plus Alpha by Shinji Hosoe
Current Teammates: Drago (Charmeleon)
Pokémon at the Yew Observatory: None

Background: Sky is the younger sister of Ricon Wingams, Gym Leader for the Chinooka City Gym. Although young, she'd been raised by her older brother since before she had memories. Her dedication to raising Flying types is only superceded by her desire to take over the gym and free her brother from the responsibilities that go with it, leaving him free to pursue other interests.

Sky's pretty much a female Sapph: brash, eager to battle, determined to fulfill her goal regardless of the obstacles. As a girl, she can't go without being right and loves to argue with Haley, who fundamentally returns the feeling with mutual interest. Her love for Flying types pits her against Haley, who adores Water types and against Slate, who prefers the solidity of the Rock type.

And now… the Corei-Dex:

106 Conburn

Species: Fire Conch
Pronunciation: con-BURN
Height: 5'11"
Weight: 783kg
Habitat: Cave
Evolution Line: LARVLE-(23)->INCINCHA-(Fire Stone)->CONBURN
Name Derivation: CONch + BURN
Notes: In battle, Conburn release heat into the earth to create mini-eruptions. It makes its homes in the heart of volcanoes.

OK,that's a wrap! L@er!

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Oct 19, 2013
TCQ 26

It's been a while, hasn't it?

Let's go!

Chapter Twenty Six: Can You Take the Heat?​

Five minutes to midday found Sapph Manson sat in the locker room which adjoined the large gym building alone. Sapph, who'd dispensed with his vibrant red hoodie for now, leaving on his white round neck T-shirt which bore a large pokéball stencil in the middle wasn't nervous... on the contrary, he was lost in thought as to the announcements he'd heard from his friends Haley, Sky and Slate earlier that morning.

Firstly, Sky had announced at breakfast around two hours ago that she had convinced Fuego, the Gym Leader who Sapph would be facing mere minutes from now on the hot, sandy field which he saw on the small television that was fitted in the corner of the changing room, to allow her to stay in Appleburn for a while to offer Drago some intense training. The girl's feelings towards the arrogant leader may have been less that friendly, but she had to do what was best for her Pokémon, and being willing to hang around Fuego was something Sapph felt deep respect for her for.

Slate had then commented that it didn't matter where she trained, she would never beat him and his ancient Rock Pokémon team. The two had then gotten into a fierce yet not unexpected argument about who would beat whom at the Trigello Island Tournament in about a month from then "This statement rather piqued Sapph's curiosity but decided that his breakfast warranted a higher state of attention). He also informed the group that he'd be heading into the mountains alone after Sapph's match ended to continue his training. Just as he rose to leave for the gym, he dropped another glowing yellow rock on the table in front of Sky and told her to take it, as it would be the only Pokémon he would take seriously in battle should they meet in the tournament.

Haley then showed up as Slate left with Sky yelling at his back that he'd regret his actions when they battled later. Telling the Chinooka City local to shut up, she sat down opposite Sapph and informed him that his match with Fuego had been rescheduled for two hours later. Sapph's windpipe stopped working at this statement, nearly choking the boy trainer. The emergency warranted Sky slapping Sapph hard on the back, kick-starting his windpipe back into action and after getting his food down the right tube, demanded to know why Fuego had changed the time for their match. Haley shrugged, saying that some trainer had challenged him the previous night and clobbered two of his Pokémon soundly. Sapph had a funny suspicion just then that Haley knew more than she was letting on about the trainer, for when he had asked her about the trainer, she unconvincingly said through a mouthful of chicken tortilla that she hadn't a clue.

Sapph mulled over the information as he watched the screen zoom in on the Gym Leader of Appleburn City, Fuego deMorro, who wore a deep blue vest which showed off his lean, muscular upper body frame that many a local girl drooled over. His waist was adorned with a long, white scarf that ran around the top of his silver and sky blue sweat pants. A pair of small, bottle green sunglasses with round lenses sat on his nose, giving him a calm look, which didn't fool Sapph for a second.

An announcement blared over the intercom, calling Sapph to the stage. Sapph rose to his feet and with a determined look on his face walked through the underground tunnel which led to the arena. This was a battle he was determined to win. Not because the Gym Leader had managed to swipe a potential powerhouse from right under his nose, but to show the city what an arrogant loser he was. Sapph hated only a few people, but all those people had one thing in common...

...arrogance.

And arrogance was something Sapph detested above all else.

***​

"An official gym match between Sapph Manson and the Appleburn City Gym Leader Fuego will now begin. If Sapph wins, he will earn an Inferno Badge. Each trainer may use four Pokémon each, with neither side allowed substitution. Are both trainers ready?"

Both Sapph and Fuego nodded wordlessly; Fuego readjusting the green designer shades he wore on his nose as Sapph lowered his goggles to shield his eyes from the oppressive heat the sandy floor of the gym was emitting.

"Go, Ninetails!" Fuego exclaimed, pulling a pokéball from the top of his silver and sky-blue pinstriped sweat pants and hurling it forwards.

"Let's do this, Lavender!"Sapph called out in a pumped voice, sending the Eevee into her first gym battle so fast, the red and white halves of her pokéball blurring together just before it split open in tandem with Fuego's pokéball.

"So it's Ninetails versus Eevee," Haley commented, powering on her new camcorder with special research features which she received from her mother the day before and pointing it at the middle of the sandy field where the pokéballs split open, releasing their contents onto the ground.

"He didn't have that Pokémon when he battled Clyff and I," Slate remarked, eyeing the Evolution Pokémon as she took form on the field in front of Sapph, ruffling her large cream coloured ruff and crouching low as Sapph muttered some low advice to her.

"NInetails does seem to have the advantage," Sky added, focusing her eyes on the beautiful golden white fox as its long nine tails rippled as though in a gentle breeze, despite the stifling heat of the gym.

"Now's not the time to speculate," Haley muttered softly as the referee raised both flags in the air to signal the beginning of the battle. "Let's just see how this plays out."

"Quick Attack!" Both trainers yelled in unison. Both foxlike creatures sprang forwards flickering out of sight as they collided in the centre ring, Lavender throwing her entire bulk into the Ninetails's side with little effect due to the significant difference in mass.

"Again!" Fuego ordered swiftly as the two Pokémon leapt apart. The Fire type was half a heartbeat faster this time and nailed the Normal type clean in the head with a second Quick Attack, which knocked Lavender for a loop… and a slight concussion.

"Lavender! Are you OK?"Sapph cried out worriedly as Lavender broke free of her barrel roll and spat out a mouthful of hot sand, shaking her head from side to side to clear the dulling pain.

"Shall we say then that your goose is cooked, Sapph? Ninetails, Flamethrower!" Fuego cried, prompting Ninetails to start flaming at the mouth, releasing a large spout of fire that had a bright yellow centre with red flames corkscrewing around it as it shot towards the Eevee.

"Look out!" Sapph yelled, pointing at the spiraling beam of fire that was closing in fast.

<'Look out'? Sure, rub it in, why don't you,> Lavender said, sounding only a little cranky as her paintbrush tail swished from side to side playfully.

"Sore-ree! Geez, I meant that metaphorical- incoming!"Sapph yelled as Lavender rolled to the right to avoid the first Flamethrower and flipped back to the left to avoid a second Fire attack which scorched the ground where she stood moments before.

"Time to go on the offensive! Quick Attack!" Sapph declared, pointing at the Ninetails for emphasis.

"Ninetails, you use Quick Attack too!" Fuego countered.

"Psyche! Lavender, duck and use Bite!" Sapph yelled as Ninetails attempted to tackle Lavender high as the smaller Pokémon bent low and leapt for the Ninetails's rear right leg, closing her jaws painfully around the Fox Pokémon's inverted knee joint.

<Aargh!> Ninetails gasped in pain as the small Normal type latched on tight, her teeth sinking deeper into the firebrand's fleshy knee. <Why, you little…> she gasped, flames forming in her mouth and releasing a third Flamethrower at point-blank range without an order, bathing Lavender in hot flames.

"Lavender! You OK?"Sapph yelled, watching his toasting Pokémon in horror.

"Game set and match, hombi- what the?"Fuego gasped, performing a double take at the Pokémon that was keeping a tight hold on Ninetails's leg. A messy, cream coloured tail whipped across his view as Lavender's now-purplish fangs closed tighter, her blue eyes staring vindictively up at the Ninetails who yowled loudly and struggled for release as poison seemed to seep from her fangs into the Ninetails's system.

Lavender the Flareon in all her orange and creamy yellow glory was administering a Toxic attack to the Ninetails's fresh wound.

"Wasn't Sapph using an Eevee?" Slate asked in shock.

"Where did the Flareon come from then?" Sky gasped as similar questions filled the audience around them.

"Don't ask me," Haley gasped. "It's the first time I'm seeing this too!"

"Alright, Lavender! Way to stick it to them!" Sapph cheered. Turning serious, he ordered, "Use Smog attack and jump!"

Purple fumes seemed to explode from the centre of the ring obscuring the two Pokémon from view. A large white quadruped leapt from the cloud a few seconds later, hacking and wheezing as a delicate shade of purple tinged her fur.

"Damn it, poisoned," Fuego snarled, observing the Fox Pokémon's limbs tremble as its breathing became increasingly labored.

"That's not all you're getting! Lavender, use Flamethrower straight down!" Sapph proclaimed with much gusto.

"Straight…down? Oh… NO!"Fuego began slowly, looking up and gasping as the small orange Pokémon seemed to soar above the cloud, a large ball of fire swelling in her mouth. Pointing her head down, the Eeveelution released a stream of searing hot flames… straight at the poison cloud. As it connected, an almighty BANG erupted from centre field as Ninetails went soaring, scorch marks littering its creamy white fur.

Lavender landed heavily on all fours and winced from the shock. Glowing orange once more, Lavender reverted back to her regular form, panting heavily, yet looking triumphantly at the true Fire type as she shuddered from the pain of the poison creeping through her circulation and the multiple second degree burns dotting her body.

"Enough games! Ninetails, Will-O-Wisp!"

"Will-O-Wisp? What's that?"Sapph wondered, his ignorance of Hoenn Pokémon attacks causing him to stall in ordering a counter.

"Sapph, get Lavender out of there!" Haley screamed from the audience as wispy purplish flames erupted from the Fox Pokémon's mouth and attacked the Eevee, though seemingly not with a very effective result.

"Hah! What was that all about?" Sapph crowed, confident that the attack hadn't enough power to hurt his Evolution Pokémon.

"Wait for it…" Fuego taunted back patiently, his eyes on the Eevee.

Sapph scoffed and said, "OK, Lavender. Let's end this with… LAVENDER!" Sapph screamed as small flames erupted spontaneously all over Lavender's small body, roasting parts of her fur all over until bare patches of skin were visible.

"What's happening?" Sky gasped, also stunned at the turn of events.

"Will-O-Wisp is a fire attack that automatically leaves a burn which steadily cuts the target's health," Haley replied. "Sort of like the Fire type equivalent for Thunder Wave."

"Thank you, Ai-neh," Sky said with a pointed laugh.

"Let's go, Ninetails! Show 'em your Bite attack!" Fuego cried, taking advantage of Sapph's distraction.

Just as suddenly as the fires had popped up, they fizzled out, leaving Lavender in racking pain all over as suddenly the Ninetails clamped her sharp-toothed jaws around Lavender's middle, causing the smaller Pokémon to scream with pain and begin to glow again.

"You never learn, do you? Lavender, escape with Faint Attack!" Sapph smirked as a black light erupted from Lavender's battered body as a sense of vicious vengeance crossed her mind.

"That'd be my line, hombire!" Fuego called back spitefully. "Ninetails, toss that little pest!"

Ninetails lowered her head, preparing to fling the Eevee aside when suddenly her maw was clamped on nothing but air as Eevee vanished from sight.

<What the…> Ninetails thought in shock before an invisible form smacked her from the right side of her head. Before she could wrap her mind around how it had happened, a second blow struck her left temple, staggering her.

"Ninetails, what's wrong?" Fuego called out worriedly as a third blow connected with the bottom side of Ninetails's lower jaw, sending the lithe Fire type flying, a trail of mouth blood following.

As Ninetails crumpled into a convulsing heap, Lavender appeared, fading back into sight with her red eyes locked on the fallen Ninetails.

"Again? What is this madness?" Fuego gasped, taking in Lavender's glowing golden rings that stood out clearly on her sable, three foot form. Her tail had retained its paintbrush shape but was now black from root to tip, save for a yellow ring of fur that divided it horizontally in two.

Lavender was now an Umbreon. A very aggressive, pissed off Umbreon…

"OK! Lavender, let's end this! Night Slash attack!"

The small flames erupted over her body once more charring her body even more. Gritting her teeth to avoid losing focus, Lavender rushed the shaky Ninetails and scythed her opponent's left feet from under her with a swift, clinically precise swipe of her paw. Skidding around, she raced back towards Sapph, landing a second slash on the Fox Pokémon's right paws, causing the larger Pokémon to crumple once more in a dead faint.

After an unnecessary five-count, the referee raised her red flag towards Sapph and the near-exhausted Eevee and announced, "Ninetails is unable to battle! Erm…" she faltered, as the Moonlight Pokémon glowed black once more and reverted to Lavender's much friendlier persona. "Eevee is the winner!"

"Looks like you have quite the team there, hombire," Fuego exclaimed in a shocked voice. Pulling a second pokéball off his belt, he added, "However, my adoring fans cannot be disappointed now, can they? Go, Oxyon!"

Oxyon? Sapph thought as the sphere split open and the light within began to take form. What's an Oxyon?

"Looks like Fuego's not going easy on 'im anymore, don' it?" Sky remarked as Haley simply looked on through the camera's viewfinder blankly.

Sapph's first impression, when the light dimmed down was where the heck the Gym Leader had acquired such a beauty. It was small, hardly a foot taller than Lavender, with vermillion fur and a long, tapering tail ending in a reddish white flame. Its stout, two digit toes each ended in a short stubby claw that gleamed a white colour identical to its underbelly and small, fluffy wings. What wowed Sapph the most was the fact that where the lion's mane should have been, a ring of shifting, ceaseless flames danced about instead, giving the Oxyon a look that transcended cute, yet did not spell out pushover, either.

Oxyon, the Pyrotechnical Pokémon, Sapph's Pokédex beeped loudly. Oxyon are capable of fairly decent flight with the wings on its back. It occasionally looses flames from under its paws to get a speed boost for flight.

"Be ready for anything, Lavender," Sapph whispered to his Eevee, who nodded mutely in response.

"Oxyon! Aerial Ace!" Fuego exclaimed the instant the flags went up for the trainers to resume battling.

"Aerial what?"

Oxyon took a running start towards Lavender, who was smoking from the after effect of another Will-O-Wisp, and sprang into the air when he was a good twelve feet away. Sapph and Lavender watched with gaping mouths as the Pyrotechnical Pokémon flapped its short wings once and shot into the air, releasing a cloud of white feathers which obscured Lavender's sight momentarily.

Remembering the Feather Storm attack he'd battled in Chinooka City, Sapph bellowed, "Get back here, Lavender! Now!"

Lavender complied by leaping backwards as the feathers noiselessly drifted to the earth around her, her ears strained for signs of the attacking Fire type, when suddenly, two flaming paws smacked Lavender clean in the chest and sent her cart wheeling into the ground at Sapph's feet.

"Whaaa…" Sapph gasped in shock as the Oxyon flapped its wings stongly and floated away towards her trainer's side of the battle.

"Apparently you don't know of Aerial Ace's characteristics, hombire," Fuego tutted him arrogantly. "It is as a Swift attack…nothing can evade its speed and power!"

"Damnit!" Sapph swore as he watched Lavender's body burst into combustion for the fourth time in the match. Pulling out her pokéball, Sapph made to return her, when her voice cried out, <Not yet!>

"Lavender?" Sapph asked his Pokémon uncertainly as she began to wobble back to her feet. "Can you stand?"

<Sure I can,> Lavender replied, her slight brown frame burnt all over from the consecutive Will-O-Wisp attacks. <I can't let the other's down, after all. It's my first battle and I intend to do my best!>

Lavender… Sapph thought, stunned at how far his youngest Pokémon was willing to go. Raising his voice, he called out to his Evolution Pokémon, "Lavender, that's enough! You've done enough. Take a rest…"

<No way,> Lavender growled, her eyes locked threateningly on the Oxyon, whose feet had touched the ground and awaited a command from her trainer. Looking back at her trainer, she smiled a smile reminiscent of Anuvi and declared, <C'mon, Sapph… let's beat this guy…into…the…grooouunnnnd…>

Without a change in expression, she hit the ground with a thud, completely spent.

"I believe that this match is over, shoreh," Fuego remarked, using the term for 'little boy' in Dunedé in addressing Sapph.

"Eevee is unable to battle!" The referee exclaimed, raising her green flag towards the Oxyon and her trainer. "Oxyon is the winner!"

The announcement brought wild cheers from the spectators, many of them ladies.

"I still can't get over the fact that Fuego has an Oxyon," Haley muttered to Sky and Slate as they watched Sapph return Lavender silently.

"I can't get over the fact that Sapph lost that one without landing a single attack," Slate replied. His eyes narrowed as they stared through the thick steam towards Fuego, who congratulated his battler proudly.

Sapph's blue eyes studied the Fire/Flying type as he returned Lavender to his belt, thinking hard.

Oxyon's too fast to nail with a strong attack, he thought as his hand drifted aimlessly towards a white pokéball situated on his belt. That fact rules out Ace from this match. Crimson has too many weaknesses against a Fire and Flying combination… and Zen is banned from this match… well, he may be equally weak against fire and that Aerial Ace attack, but he's definitely got the speed to dodge the latter…

"Are you ready yet, shoreh?" Fuego called out impatiently, startling Sapph out of his train of thought and knocking off a red and white pokéball to the floor which bounced in between his legs and into the field where it burst open, a flash of white light spilling onto the field and forming a hexapedal creature with a smaller body than head and (as the light dimmed) two black antenna and a red back splashed with Five black spots arranged in a X.

The audience fell silent at this stunning turn of events as Crimson stretched himself out and crouched into his familiar Vale Tudo stance, calling out to Sapph, <Hey, kind of a hot one today, wouldn't you say?>

Oh, damn… Haley thought, almost dropping her camcorder. Looks like Sapph's luck is back…

What were you thinking, Sapph mate? Sky thought helplessly as the crowd around them began to hoot with laughter.

Slate, however, remembering how much trouble Sapph could pose to an opponent who believes he has the advantage, simply smirked at Fuego, who looked dumbfounded at Sapph's choice.

"Oh, crap! Crimson, you gotta get outta here!" Sapph yelled in a panicky voice.

"Will the challenger return his Pokémon?" the referee asked, more or less shocked at Sapph's apparently poor judgment of the situation. "Knowing full well that retuning his Pokémon qualifies as forfeit as per the rules of this match?"

"Come now, Amy," Fuego smirked, getting his laughter under control. "Humour his choice as a mistake and let's carry on, shall we?" Waving a hand at Sapph disdainfully, he said," Return your insect, shoreh… give my fire types a real challenge."

Fuego's words hit all the wrong nerves… all at once.

<That's it! I'm taking this upstart down, Sapph!> Crimson declared furiously, firing up his wings and lifting off about a foot off the heated ground.

"Let's do it, Crimson!" Sapph agreed, his eyes focused once more on the battle at hand.

Fuego chuckled some more as he muttered, "Your funeral. Oxyon, let us end this one quickly. Aerial Ace!"

Aerial Ace can't be evaded, Sapph thought, watching Oxyon take a running start towards Crimson and take off. And the feathers it scatters act as a diversion so that Oxyon can get in a clean hit. In that case…

"Crimson, ignore the feathers and use Protect now!" Sapph commanded swiftly.

<Right!> Crimson called back, conjuring a shimmering, blue green wall all around him in the nick of time as Oxyon soared in and smashed into the barrier, which nullified her attack completely and threw the Fire type off balance.

"What the… it knows Protect?!" Fuego gasped as the crowd suddenly stopped laughing.

Smirking broadly, Sapph replied, "And that's not all… Crimson! Mach Punch attack!"

Crimson nodded and dropped the barrier as he reared back his upper right fist and let loose a punch that was faster than sound itself right into the side of the fiery lion's face, sending it skidding backwards, four long smoking tracks trailing it in the loosely packed sand.

<Rrrrrr…> the Oxyon growled, a large red bruise visible on the left side of her face. <Hit a lady, will you?>

"Enough!" Fuego shouted magisterially. "Oxyon, use Overheat!"

"Another Hoenn technique?!" Sapph swore under his breath. "I don't need to see it to guess it's a Fire type attack…"

"Not just any fire attack, shoreh," Fuego declared proudly as Oxyon's mane began to flare up to insane proportions. "It is the perfect Fire attack! There's no escape, and no defense for you, seeing as using Protect twice in a row is incredibly taxing, not to mention near impossible! Show them, Oxyon!"

Oxyon complied by firing an almighty beam of heat energy straight for Crimson, whose trainer gritted his teeth as Fuego's words rang true in his mind, the beam racing in at a suddenly slow pace in his mind's eye… when suddenly a memory of a similar scenario flashed through his mind… of a time before Crimson learned Protect and still managed to guard himself against an attack that was sure to beat him…

"Aha! I know that look!" Slate exclaimed happily in the stands.

"Why are you so happy?"Sky yelled, nearly choking the fourteen year old Rock trainer in her panic.

"I've battled Sapph before, so I'd know," Slate said calmly, throwing Sky a scathing look. "That's Sapph's 'I've-got-a-crazy-idea' look…"

"The problem is…" Haley muttered, her professionalism exceeding her empathy as she kept her eye glued to her camera.

The problem is, Sapph thought furiously, battling the voice inside him telling him it was his only chance. Will the same thing work twice?

<Sapph!> Crimson bellowed. <If you have a plan, let's hear it… NOW!>

Crimson's voice seemed to snap back to normal time and the imminent danger his Pokémon was in. "OK! Crimson, use Comet Punch!" Sapph commanded desperately.

Crimson nearly face faulted internally at the command, but dutifully prepared the cosmic energy that surrounded his fists as the fiery attack geared up, closing the gap between them rapidly. <All right… but at what?>

"At the Overheat! Hurry!" Sapph ordered urgently, pointing forward.

Crimson didn't ask questions, although the plan seemed vaguely familiar. Putting his full trust in the plan, Crimson flew full force into the Overheat attack, his glittering fist connecting with the blast head on.

"Hah! Do you really think an offensive attack like Comet Punch can beat an Overheat?" Fuego mocked, watching the attacks collide. "You have no chance of survival, shoreh… none at a- what the hell?!" He screamed as the crowd gasped and the male population of the audience let out a cheer: just as it had at the Nightspark Gym with Ballomb's Thunderbolt, Crimson's Comet Punch began to absorb the immense fire attack's energy into the fist, the tiny stars that trailed it glowing orange red as they turned into fiery sparks.

Haley dropped the camera as her lower jaw in one motion.

Slate gaped. Admittedly, he had confidence in whatever plan the Johton trainer was cooking up, but this exceeded any and all expectations the boy had.

Sky shrieked in amazement as the Overheat attack was instantly sucked into the Comet Punch, leaving the Ledian unharmed and the Oxyon completely lost for words.

"Thanks for the heat, Fuego," Sapph grinned. "Let me return the favour. Crimson! Comet Punch… Fire Style!"

Crimson nodded and punched his four fists together, creating four more miniature comets on his little white palms. As Crimson pulled his fists apart, the silvery white sparks crackled and began to glow incandescent red, as thought the comets had turned into miniature suns. Letting out a voluminous yell, Crimson flung his fists forwards, reciprocating the Overheat attack's effect four times over, each flaming comet speeding towards the hapless Oxyon who stood transfixed in horror as its own attack came back to bite her in the ass.

The crowd was stunned at the sheer power of the Five Star Pokémon's attack, turning a close range attack like Comet Punch into a long ranged multiple beam assault.

"OXYON! USE HEAT HAZE, NOW!" Fuego screamed at the top of his lungs, jolting the firebrand's mind back to action and its body into motion. With a loud roar, the fire lion emitted a wave of heat so strong it formed a shimmering barrier that upon contact with the flaming projectiles, created a mini explosion that threw up a cloud of smoke and sand, blocking off the Pryotechnical Pokémon from view.

"Wow…" Sapph gasped as Crimson floated back a bit to give himself room to defend against a counter. "What an attack! How you holding up, Crimson?"

<Depends,> Crimson grunted, clutching his hands in agony. Sapph, taking a closer look, gasped in shock as his Pokémon's hands were now laced in burns. <It's an amazing attack, that's true… but I'll either have to tone it down or use it sparingly.>

"True, but let's worry about that later," Sapph replied, pointing back at Oxyon, who looked utterly woebegone but was still standing, ready to make the 'Crimson Wonder' pay for such an uppity counter attack.

Fuego wasn't pleased to see his attack returned like that, and he was going to let Sapph know it. "You piece of garbage," he snarled. "I'm through playing nice with you!"

"You were playing?" Sapph replied, cocking an eyebrow in some surprise. "That's a shame. We personally take battling very seriously… right, Crimson?"

<To quote Anuvi… 'You said it!'> Crimson replied.

"Enough!" Fuego screamed in fury. Pointing at Crimson vehemently, he commanded, "Oxyon, make him pay! Aerial Ace!"

Oxyon let out another powerful roar and despite its numerous injuries, leapt into the air, fire trailing from her paws as she began a great loop-de-loop, gaining speed on the downwards dive.

"Think you can pull off another Comet Punch?" Sapph muttered as he watched the opposing Pokémon loop through the air.

<As long as it's not another Fire Style,> Crimson replied, watching the fire type build up speed for the dive.

"Then wait for him to get near," Sapph calmly commanded as the Oxyon began its speedy descent, searing hot paws first. "And use Comet Punch…"

"Again?!" Fuego gasped, his eyes bugging out of his head.

"…THUNDER STYLE!" Sapph bellowed as the fire type sped in, moving too fast to change directions.

<Don't you know better than to charge head in on an opponent you know next to nothing about?> Crimson scolded the incoming Oxyon playfully as his fists crackled with golden electric energy, which he unloaded straight into the lion's paws, causing it to convulse painfully and fly backwards into the sand, where it sparked and twitched, yet clearly unable to battle any further.

After what seemed like a long five count, the female referee raised her red flag again and announced, "Oxyon is unable to battle! Ledian is the winner!"

The female portion of the crowd began muttering amongst themselves darkly as Fuego returned his Oxyon, looking downcast whilst Sky regarded the human and Bug type combination fearfully as the young male congratulated his Pokémon on a battle well fought.

Fuego wordlessly took out a third Pokémon and with out any audible preamble cast down the third choice for the match, which burst open, the light within forming a strange sight, a strange sight that stood nine inches taller that Crimson and possessed a pinkish upper body which ended in a zigzag patterned design separating it from the lower half of its body and tail, which were red. White claw digits stood out on its four limbs and from the way it held itself, it was hard for Sapph to make out whether it was bidedal or quadrupedal.

Xeritherm, the Scorch Pokémon. Using their extendable tongue in conjunction with its flammable saliva, it can create a flaming whip which can take out foes from as great a distance as a record forty feet, the Pokédex lectured in its dull, lifeless voice.

"Xeritherm," Fuego said quietly, locking his eyes on the defiant Ledian. "Use Lick!"

<Ewww… gross!> Ledian screeched in disgust as Xeritherm's long, slobbery tongue painted him with drool from head to toe.

"Now, that was plain old nasty," Sky commented flippantly.

"Xeritherm, use Bind!"

"Now what's he up to?!" Sapph thought aloud. "Crimson, dodge that tongue!"

Crimson tried to, but his limbs stiffened involuntarily, freezing him in place.

<Sapph! I-I can't move!> Crimson yelled as the repulsive organ wrapped itself around Crimson's body and neck, holding him fast. Only by keeping one arm by his neck was Crimson able to avoid being throttled by the Xeritherm's whiplike tongue as the organ began to constrict.

"Now, use Flamethrower!" Fuego said vindictively.

Xeritherm let out a strangled croaking noise as a spurt of fire raced along the length of its tongue, engulfing Crimson in violently fierce flames.

"CRIMSON!" Sapph yelled, watching in horror as his Bug type Pokémon became awash in flame.

Fuego finally smirked and ordered Xeritherm to release its prey, which it did, leaving Crimson to hit the sand on his knees, smoking at the joints of his exoskeleton.

"Crimson! Are you OK?" Sapph screamed again. To his immense relief, and Fuego utter shock, Crimson pushed himself to his feet once more and raised a thumbs-up.

<Somewhat,> Crimson said matter-of-factly. <I was able to get a weak Protect shield up, just before the Flamethrower hit. It cut down some of the damage, but it still hurt like crazy.>

"That's a relief," Sapph said with a smile, behind which he began to think fast. OK, so let's see, Sapph thought silently. First he used Lick… presumably to paralyze Crimson. In case that failed, he used Bind to hold him down… but the Lick attack worked, so there would be no need to Bind Crimson… unless…

"OK, Crimson," Sapph ordered. "Here's the plan…"

"As if I'd let you, hombire!" Fuego yelled. "Xeritherm, Bind again!"

"Take the hit!" Sapph countered, hoping this plan would work, a view Crimson openly voiced as the Xeritherm's tongue grasped Crimson tightly again.

"Next up…" Fuego began loudly, but Sapph intercepted his command by yelling," Crimson! Use your strongest Supersonic on his tongue!"

Crimson nodded once with difficulty and aimed a piercing shriek at the detestable organ, which reverberated all along its length into Xeritherm's mouth. Xeritherm let out another muffled scream as his tongue loosened its hold on Crimson, whose feeling was starting to return to his limbs.

"Now get him!" Sapph said swiftly. "Comet Punch, Thunder Style!"

<Got it!> Crimson yelled, as his wings fired up again and he streaked across the hot sands, his fists crackling lightning once more.

"Wow, what a comeback!" Sky yelled excitedly, getting into the match.

"Why isn't Fuego ordering a counterattack though?" Slate wondered.

"It must be because…" Haley began.

<… Xeritherm can't aim without Binding his target with his tongue,> Grandpa said knowledgeably, suddenly appearing beside Slate form within his pokéball.

"'Can't aim'?" Slate and Sky repeated in unison as Haley nodded, watching Crimson unleash four lightning fast punches into the stunned Scorch Pokémon's body.

<Sapph must have figured it out when he attacked the first time,> Grandpa explained. <Why would you need to bind an immobilized target?>

"You only did that 'cause you couldn't hit Crimson at that distance," Sapph explained triumphantly. "The Bind attack isn't to bind… it's to mark your target!"

Fuego only growled as the ref raised her red flag once more and announced, "Xeritherm is unable to battle. Ledian… wait a minute!"She declared as Crimson, the toll of two battles taking its effect on his body heavily, causing him to pass out on the sands, all the fight gone from him. "Ledian is also unable to battle," she amended, raising her green flag to join the red one in the air. "This round is a tie!"

"Wow… well ain't that a kick to the head," Sky said in a stunned voice, as the female populace in the stadium screamed their approval.

Slate and Haley nodded in unison as the latter replied, "True, but Sapph has the upper hand."

"Of course!" Slate said excitedly. "Sapph may have lost two Pokémon, but Fuego's lost three!"

"Meaning…" Sky said slowly.

<If Sapph can beat down his next Pokémon,> Grandpa recounted.

"He's won!" Haley finished cheerfully.

"If that's the case," Slate said uncertainly. "Why doesn't Sapph looked more excited?"

"Hunh? Hey, you're right!" Sky cried out, staring at Sapph who'd returned Crimson with a quiet word of thanks and looked up at Fuego who'd done the same and now held out his fourth and final Pokémon (which was presently housed in a pokéball with a black and yellow striped upper half) with a smirk on his face.

Damn it, Sapph said in his head. He's gonna use that Pokémon…it was strong enough to give Zen a run for his money, and no Pokémon's done that since Crimson! And it'll be too presumptuous to think that it still doesn't know fire attacks… Oh, well, in that case…, he thought to himself, pulling out a third pokéball from the top of his jeans, better beat this Fire with Flyer…

"Let's do this, Ace!" Sapph exclaimed releasing his faithful, military regimented Swoop Pokémon into the mix.

"Interesting…" Fuego smirked to himself. "Well, let's see if this flying ace of yours is up to the challenge, shoreh. Come forth," he called, throwing his newest trump card forwards. "Conburn!"

In a blast of yellow light, the Fire Conch Pokémon erupted into the fray, letting loose an earth-shattering roar, that the fans seemed eager to top with their cheers.

"What the… wasn't it a Conburn that nearly turned Mt. Appleburn into an active volcano again?" Slate yelled in shock.

"Please don't tell me…" Haley gaped as Sapph gritted his teeth tightly.

"… it's the same one?!" Sky finished loudly.

<Your orders, sir?> Ace said crisply, not taking her goggled eyes from the Conburn's fierce ones.

"We hit fast… and hit hard! Ace, give it all you got! Quick Attack now!" Sapph bellowed, pointing at the hard-shelled Fire type for emphasis.

<Roger!> Ace cawed, blazing in and striking it solidly in the chest region with considerable force, pushing it back a few feet.

"Yes!" Sky cheered, pumping a fist in the air.

"Is that it? How disappointing, shoreh," Fuego tutted waspishly. Sapph and Ace's eyes widened as the Conburn raised its powerfully armored arms and seized the Flying type by the wings, and flung Ace skywards after slamming her into the ground. Hard.

"No!" Slate cried.

"Ace, can you carry on?" Sapph called to his winged Pokémon as she righted herself in midair.

<No problem, General!> Ace called back. <Awaiting orders!>

"Give it up, shoreh," Fuego scoffed. "Conburn, use your Stone Edge attack!"

"OK, next order… back flip and into a quick dive! Ready your Cyclone!" Sapph ordered swiftly as the Conburn slammed the ground viciously, causing a cluster of boulders to race straight up from under Ace. Ace, following orders, pulled off a graceful back flip out of harm's way and shot towards the ground, her eyes closed as she timed her rotation for the right moment.

"NOW!" Sapph yelled as Ace pulled out of the dive about four feet above the ground. Spinning rapidly, she whipped up the hot sands around the high speed twister as she shot towards the Conburn like a cruise missile on speed steroids. The twister had soon amassed enough sand to become a Sand Cyclone.

"Let's see you use fire now, Fuego!" Sapph crowed, as Ace came closer and closer, zigzagging to avoid a possible retaliatory Stone Edge.

Tutting Sapph once more, Fuego smiled, "A fire type trainer does not only specialize in fire attacks. Conburn! Use Solarbeam!"

"Nuts!" Sapph yelled, as Ace raced closer to a rapidly swelling beam of light energy.

"Did he say… 'Solarbeam'?!" Sky freaked.

"And with all the sunlight pouring in today… that won't take long to charge at all!" Haley gasped as Conburn unleashed a violent white flash of sunlight upon the sandy snakelike attack busting it apart viciously.

Squawking in pain, Ace soared into the wall behind Sapph and splatting in a comical fashion. Even before she hit the floor, Sapph could see that she'd had enough.

After a long five count, the referee raised the green flag above her head towards Fuego and Conburn and announced, "Mawhoot is unable to battle, Conburn wins!"

"And just like that, it's tied again," Slate said quietly.

"What I don't get," Haley said with a faint crease on her brow, "was how Fuego used a Grass attack to KO a Flying type in one shot?"

"Power speaks louder than types, I guess," Sky answered in a distant, stunned voice.

<I disagree,> Grandpa piped up. The three youths looked at the Rock Man Pokémon in surprise as he explained. <Ace's Cyclone seems to take on the attribute of the element that surrounds it. If she used a Water Cyclone on a Fire type, it would be lights out for said Fire type. But against a Grass attack like Solarbeam, a Ground type Cyclone doesn't stand a chance."

"Whoa," Sky whistled as Sapph returned his third Pokémon with words of encouragement. Looking back at Fuego determinedly, he pledged himself once again that he was leaving this gym victoriously. "So what's he gonna go now? Choose Zen?"

"If he could, don't you think would have already?" Slate replied scathingly. Before Sky had a chance to reply scathingly, he went on, "This match is the second of a two-gym match ban for Zen."

Haley nodded and continued, "All he's got left now are Anuvi… or Arcana."

<Arcana?> Grandpa queried.

"Sapph's new Growlithe," Haley informed him. "Anuvi's got more experience in gym battles… but Arcana's got a better chance against whichever Fire attack Fuego's taught that behemoth."

"Well, it's all down to this battle," Sky said in an uncharacteristically cool voice as the others nodded. "Who's it gonna be, Sapph?"

Sapph closed his eyes for a moment and looking up at the bright sky that filtered through the transparent ceiling, he made his choice.

Rearing back his fist which held his last stand, Sapph threw his pokéball forward and exclaimed, "Go… ARCANA!"

The striped puppy Pokémon burst free of her pokéball and began to prance on the spot, singing as her head rocked from side to side almost as though the small puppy was wearing headphones:

<Ah… like… good… battles an' ah cannot lie!
All my opponents're gonna fry!
With-a one an' a two,
Time to bar-be-cue,
With ma fire power that's so fly!
>

Fuego sweat dropped as he face faulted hard on the sands. Standing up sharply, he stared at his opponent and his Pokémon as she continued to prance about.

Smiling slightly, Sapph looked at Fuego's stunned look and called out, "You ready to rock, Arcana?"

<Bring it, Turtle King!> Arcana crowed, her cream coloured tail wagging as though in a high wind.

"Arcana?! I thought he'd choose Anuvi for sure!" Sky bawled.

"Just shut up and watch, will you?"Slate told her sharply, earning a sharp retort from the girl, which he ignored. "Sapph's gotta have a plan, or he wouldn't choose her."

"I've heard from Ricon-hame that you possess an otherworldly Squirrage," Fuego muttered in a low voice. "And for you to degrade me with a greenhorn battler… YOU INSULT ME, HOMBIRE! Conburn, use Solarbeam!"

"Again?" Sapph scoffed, mimicking Fuego's voice. "You need to get a plan. Arcana, let's go!"

<Boogie time!> Arcana whooped as she sprinted off to the right avoiding a blast of condensed sunlight which kicked up a storm of sand. As the cloud cleared, a small dune of red hot sand stood there for a moment before it cooled down and broke apart.

"Wait a minute," Sapph thought aloud. "Was that…"

"Solarbeam again!" Fuego screeched, losing his cool at how easily the Growlithe was avoiding damage.

The larger fire Pokémon let loose another bestial roar and fired another shot of Solarbeam at the nimble Puppy Pokémon, who avoided it by rolling forward. Another mound of heated sand rose and glowed red momentarily before breaking apart.

"I've got an idea," Sapph said slowly.

<Ah like the sound o' that!> Arcana barked happily. <So what's first?>

"Piss 'im off," Sapph replied with a grin. "Arcana, let's go! Ember attack!"

<Rock it!> Arcana exclaimed, flames leaping around inside her closed mouth. Opening it sharply, Arcana fired around of red hot embers at the Conburn, who raised an arm in defense and snarling as the attack continued to aggravate it.

The Conburn lumbered towards the Growlithe and pulling back a fist slammed the ground forcefully with the aim of burying Arcana in the hot sands alive.

Arcana, however, was having none of that and with a command from Sapph, sped off in a wide arc around Fuego's enraged Pokémon with an excellent Quick Attack. Once behind the slower firebrand, the Puppy Pokémon unleashed a second barrage on miniature fire type projectiles which struck the back of her opponent's head, pissing off the Fire Conch Pokémon even further.

And so the whimsical bullfight began: Arcana unloading a sporadic salvo of Embers all over Conburn's sensitive, unguarded parts and ducking away tauntingly with Quick Attack as Conburn lumbered over with earth-shaking stomps. In next to no time, Conburn began to feel fatigued, not due to the hot embers that it was getting hit with over and over again, but with the effort of racing after the littler Fire type, who pranced on the spot after each successful taunt.

He's wearing down, Sapph thought excitedly. This is it!

Aloud, the younger trainer cried out, "Arcana! Use Take Down!"

Barking in assent, the female Growlithe took off running, trailing golden streaks behind her as the Conburn turned to face her charge head on, yet too fatigued to do more than raise a heavily clawed arm in defense. With strength belittled by her size and weight, the Growlithe bounded up to the giant's arm, seized it firmly with her claws and teeth and with the force of her charge sent the monstrous Pokémon bowling over into the sand.

The reckless charge however, resulted in Arcana overextending herself and landing on her cream-topped head before rolling off her target.

Both Pokémon rolled to their feet and glared at each other, baring their teeth at each other.

"Grrr… Conburn! Use Heat Wave!" Fuego roared enraged at the cheap shots Sapph was taking at him.

Conburn snarled in acknowledgement and cocked back a giant fist, which burst into flames. Thrusting forward with his fist aflame, Conburn slammed the ground at his feet, creating a fast moving wave of flame to erupt from the sand away from Conburn and advance on the small canine Pokémon.

"About time!" Sapph cried out happily. "Arcana! Use Ember as quickly as you can at the mound of sand five feet in front of you right now!"

Arcana nodded and fired off a repeated stream of fire that blew up the sand quickly as it collided with the Conburn's attack, causing a huge cloud of dust to blow up all over the stage, obscuring the field from all the humans' (trainers included) view. This was, however, tied in perfectly with Sapph's plans who yelled, "Quick Attack!"

"Damn, I can't see!" Fuego growled, peering into the mini sandstorm. "Conburn, go defensive!"

Inside the maelstrom of dirt, however, Conburn only felt like crushing the miniscule dog which had irked it for far too long. Swinging his large fists around, he glanced dead ahead and saw the puppy standing before him, a taunting glare visible in her violet eyes. Well, the Conburn thought arrogantly, readying a Solarbeam, he'd show her a thing or two.

The laser beam of sunlight burst forth with a vengeance straight for the smirking Growlithe, who didn't even attempt to move, but stood her ground, looking as though she though the Fire Conch Pokémon was merely wasting her time. It hit its mark dead on…

…and bounced back.

Conburn's eyes widened in winded shock as its own Solarbeam flashed back at him, slamming him in the gut and blasting him off his feet. Flying back ten feet and landing on his back in a winded fashion, Conburn hacked up a clot of dark red blood and lay still, its body wracked in pain from receiving its own Solarbeam at twice the power.

The cloud cleared then revealing the Growlithe standing on Fuego's side of the battle field, breathing in a raspy, heavy fashion from the effort of firing off so many Ember attacks so quickly. On Sapph's side, directly opposite the Growlithe was a shiny mound of hardened sand. Slate and Haley stared in wonder as they recognized what it was.

"Glass," Haley said in wonder. "It's glass…"

"Not just glass, Haley," Slate said in a distant voice, also stunned at how far ahead Sapph had thought out his plan. "It's a mirror."

"A mirror?!" Sky exclaimed, looking from one to the other, warranting an explanation. "How'd a mirror get there?"

<Well, Sky,> Grandpa replied proudly. <Glass is made from heating sand with intense heat and a mirror is made by coating one side with a dark material of sorts.>

"So where'd they get that 'dark substance' you're talking about from?" Sky questioned.

Looking down at Conburn, Haley answered, "Arcana's Ember… look, Sky… the areas on the Conburn's neck and arms are charred black. I'll bet when Sapph ordered Arcana to fire Ember at an accelerated rate, the glass formed on her side of the collision was charred by the smoky burns of the Ember."

"Amazing," Slate said, highly impressed with the thought Sapph had placed on the battle. "And since Conburn is half Rock type, when the Solarbeam hit, it did more than enough damage to cinch the victory."

The ref looked towards the Conburn and began the five-count:

"ONE!"

"Get up, Conburn! Get up now!" Fuego screamed indignantly.

"TWO!"

"Forget it, Fuego!" Sapph called across the field as Growlithe put a moderate distance between herself and the Conburn. "It's too badly beaten up!"

"THREE!"

"Forget you, shoreh!" Fuego yelled furiously. "Stand up, Conburn!"

"FOUR!"

Somehow, the Conburn rose shakily to his feet and roared, its shell cracked severely as it rose to its feet and began to charge the Growlithe desperately, rearing back one fist in a final attempt at a Mega Punch.

"No way! He got up?" Sky gasped as Fuego's cheering section burst into cheers.

<Man, he is one annoying Pokémon!> Arcana growled raspily, tensing herself for a counter attack order.

"You said it, Arcana," Sapph scowled. "Keep him away with Ember!"

Arcana inhaled, her mouth filling with red fire once more. However, when she opened her mouth this time a steady stream of ivory and cerulean flames issued forth scorching the Conburn's cracked shell further and blowing the Conburn back onto his back forcefully, the wind knocked clean out of its sails.

Silence reigned in the arena. Sapph's Pokédex broke the silence by announcing unnecessarily: Congratulations. Your Growlithe has learned Flamethrower.

Arcana panted for several long seconds as the referee began another five count and Fuego stared blankly. None of his Pokémon had so much as procured a wisp of blue heat flame, yet this amateur's Fire Pokémon had done so on the fist shot.

"No," he whispered, unwilling to believe he had lost not only the match, but his face in the eyes of his fans.

<FIVE!> Arcana announced cockily along with the referee. <Ding, ding, ding! The awesome Arcana wins! Ha, hah! How's zat for shell shock?>

*to be continued*

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Oct 19, 2013
TCQ ch26~2

*continued from last post*

***​

Two days after their battle for the Inferno Badge, during which Ace, Lavender, Crimson and Arcana had been put on bed rest, Sapph and Haley left the Pokémon Center to continue their journey due north, Sapph with a shiny new Inferno badge to join the other three he'd already earned in his badge case. They had avoided a farewell with Sky on Sapph's bequest; the girls would most likely use the last minutes together fighting and Sapph had had enough of that during the five days they had been together. Haley, to Sapph's surprise, had agreed without a fight.

"Besides, today's too good a day to waste it fighting a misguided girl like Sky," Haley had said nonchalantly.

Sapph laughed and said, "All I'm glad for is that Sky didn't hear you."

"And on a more important topic," Haley remarked as they trudged along yet another wooded area road which wound gently up a mountain, "We get to spend the rest of our time together without any third parties," Haley went on happily.

"What the heck do you mean by that?" Sapph asked the girl in a suspicious voice, turning to stare at Haley.

Haley, noticing the slip in thought, hastened to rectify it, blushing furiously. "Oh, you know, without Sky around, I can focus on my research work and you can focus on your training. We hardly got any done during the trip through the desert…"

"Uhhh… hunh…" Sapph said skeptically.

Haley, blushing harder, went on the offensive defensive. "And just what did you think I meant by what I said, Sapph Manson?" She demanded in a dangerously huffy tone.

It was now the turn of the boy trainer to blush violently as he replied in a mumble, "Well…. Uhm… you know, it's that… well… what you said… anyway," Sapph said quickly, keen to change the subject, "when do we reach the next town?"

Haley smirked, her goose grey eyes flashing triumphantly as she answered, "Olde Teake Town. Another hot spring town. No gym to speak of there, but their history as one of the first cities to exist on the Coriean continent leaves it as a national monument on its own."

"OK, so where's the next gym, then?" Sapph asked, worried about how much slack he'd build up before he made it.

Haley was on the point of answering when a tinkling noise and a shout that sounded vaguely familiar coming up from behind them, interrupted her.

"SAPPH! HALEY! WAIT UP!"

The duo turned around and saw a smallish figure on a black BMX bike pedaling up the hill towards them. The rider seemed petite, though it was hard to tell from that distance.

"Damn it!" Haley cussed. "Can we get a normal journey without all these interruptions?"

"Par for the course, I guess," Sapph replied, squinting down the mountain trail towards the figure who was closing the gap between them quickly now that they had stopped. "I wonder how whoever it is knows us…"

Within a few minutes, the cyclist had caught up and was leaning over the handlebars, struggling to catch her breath. The cyclist had shoulder-length hair of an unusual tone: dark blue (She began to look more and more familiar to Sapph now). Her Oriental style shirt (which was a pretty white with gold trim) seemed to hug her slender yet curvy frame rather moderately. Dark green Capri shorts and green and white soled trainers completed her evergreen appearance.

"Who are you, and why the hell have you been following us?" Haley demanded rudely.

"Haley…" Sapph began slowly as the girl continued to wheeze and gasp. "Let her get some air…"

"No way," Haley said stubbornly. "She could be with Team Shadow for all we know… who are you, and how did you know who we are?"

"Sapph's anorak," the girl muttered, pointing at the bright red cagoule which Sapph now wore with the sleeves rolled up," and you're hat. They're pretty much your trademarks, Haley."

"You didn't answer the first question," Haley said dismissively. "Who. Are. YOU?"

"I think I know, Haley," Sapph said slowly, hardly daring to believe it yet pleasantly thrilled to meet her again. Turning to the girl, who looked like she'd just caught her breath, Sapph smiled and said, "You've changed a lot, Nora."

"No waaay!" Nora moaned, looking up, her blue green eyes sparkling with something other than the fear which was all you could see in them when they had met a few weeks ago. "I hope… it-it's... in a good way?" She stammered, blushing furiously.

Sapph laughed as Haley blanched and said, "It's fine! I meant that in a good way, Nora! You look great! How've you and the Gatonda been doing? And Rose–obaana?" Sapph asked, using the Dunedé honorific term for old ladies.

(For those who may have forgotten, Sapph had competed in the Gatonda Tournament close to five weeks back to win the main prize, a Gatonda, for a young, needy girl… a girl who wanted the life of a trainer and had no one in her family's full support except for her grandmother, Rose Saunders.)

"They're great! Well, I was… umm, hoping to meet you on my journey. I dunno, if … perhaps you'd like…I guess you wouldn't, but… if you, you know, wanted another person in your group…"

Sapph and Haley stared, the latter with an expression close to furious. After all the trouble they'd gone through to get rid of Sky, they had to contend with another tag-along girl?

"Well, I guess it's better than hanging around alone," Sapph said cheerfully. "What say you, Haley?"

"No. There is no way in hell that we are travelling around with a clingy, fragile, helpless fan girl like Nora!"

"I-I can look after myself, you know!" Nora stammered indignantly. "I-I just thought it'd be… you know… fun to hang out together…"

"Besides, Haley… you said it yourself," Sapph said reasonably. "If Team Shadow attacked, three trainers are harder to beat than two."

"I still say no," Haley replied stubbornly.

"Look, please," Nora pleaded the researcher. "I won't be in the way! I can cook for my own Pokémon and I… and I'm a lot better at battling now. I've won three out of five badges, too…"

Sapph was about to compliment her on her achievement when Haley scoffed. "Oh, really? And I suppose you think you can take Sapph on, is that right?"

"No!" Nora ejaculated forcefully. "It's just that when I battled Arlene and Ricon, they kept reminiscing about their battles with you. And I thought… I thought… that I could learn a thing or two from him. They said I had much to learn."

"Forget it," Haley scoffed. "The only thing you can learn from Sapph is how scary Murphy's Law is. Heck, you couldn't beat me!"

"Oh, really?" Sapph decided to step in and try to keep this fight from going nuclear. "And how many badges have you won, Haley? None out of none? Let's at least give Nora a…"

"Actually, Sapph," Haley retorted bitingly. "I've won two badges out of two, which statistically speaking is a better track record than your four out of five!"

"Two badges?!" Sapph exclaimed, as stunned as Nora was impressed. "Which two?"

"The Web and Inferno badges," Haley said smugly. "I doubt Little Miss Airy-Fairy could even beat me."

"D-d-do you want to t-try me?"Nora stammered, gulping slightly yet looking determined at the same time as she raised a pokéball in challenge.

"Now, that," Haley declared proudly, walking into a clearing in the woods and proceeding to unbuckle a pokéball of the belt circling her waist, "is a challenge I'll be willing to take you up on."

Aw, man, Sapph groaned mentally, slumping on a log besides Nora's bicycle and preparing to officiate the match before it got ugly. Not again…

***​

CHARCTER PERSONALITY FOR THE WEEK

Name: Haley Kent
Date of Birth: December 11th, PA 2004
Eye Colour: Grey
Hair Colour: Reddish blonde

Theme: Follow Me by Kay Hanley
Current Teammates: Bubbles (Aquala), Ento (Subbug), Blitzkrieg (Voltog), Mace (Urchane), Pixy (Vulpix), Vapor (Eevee)
Pokémon at the Yew Observatory: None

Background: The daughter of Melissa Ava and Roger Damian Kent, Haley Mizura Kent is also the younger sister of Kamren Maximilian Kent, and the youngest member of one of the richest families in Nightspark City and the richest in Olville Town.

Haley has had a fairly easy lifestyle throughout her growing years, with only one great big wrinkle, Carla Witkins. From the affection of the charming lab assistant Kyle to daily squabbles at the Olville Pokémon Academy, Haley would never admit it to her rival's face (who incidentally befriended her older brother for some time soon after their arrival in Olville fie years prior to the start of the story) but the wrinkle in her life's fabric helped keep her life lively.

After her father's abrupt disappearance, she decided to affiliate herself with the researcher circles of Corei during her journey to pick up the trail of her missing father. That coupled with her love for and skill at raising Water Pokémon makes her a unique individual in her own right, and a force to reckon with on the battle field.

Now for the Corei-Dex… only one entry this week (I'm sure you understand), so let's get it on!

195 Oxyon

Type: Fire/Flying
Species: Pyrotechnical
Pronunciation: ox-eye-on
Height: 2'10"
Weight: 40lbs
Habitat: Mountain
Evolution Line: PURLYTE -(Heat Rock + Trade)-> OXYON
Name Derivation: OXYgen (what all things need to burn) + liON
Notes: OXYON raise the heat of their surroundings to suffocating degrees. The strain of keeping up this feat renders it nearly vulnerable to any attack that can make it through its Heat Haze.

OK, that's all, folks!

L@er!

Back