• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Pokémon] Brewing A Storm and Black Night Clouds

Sgt Shock

Goldsmith
Years
  • Chapter 12: The Despotism in Duality

"I must admit, it's been quite some time since we have spoke, Gabriel."

"Largo...I must admit that it has. Six months was it."

"Six months you have been shutting me away in the confines of your heart. Or what's left of it anyway?"

"Why can't you just be a good boy, Largo, and stay down?"

"Stay down? Gabriel. There is no medicine, no mental cure and definitely no psychiatrist that can keep me locked away forever. I've been sleeping, waiting for my spot."

"You have no power, Largo. You're nothing more than a tool that I use. I can put you away if I want."

"Really now, I'm more than amused that you would say something like that in my presence. Do you forget that I'm your true self not that mask that you wear every day?"

"You are not my true self?"

"Then what am I? Am I perhaps your ruler and you are nothing more than vessel I dwell in? Do you not remember the night that I awoken? That night. That beautiful night. You didn't have the nerve. You had a soul. I have no useless attachments or fears such as these. Yet you call me the one the tool. Yet you call on my power every twist and turn you cannot control. Who reigns over whom, Gabriel?"

"I reign over you..."

"Even then, it felt foreign against your lips. Like crop being grown in an opposite environment only to have their roots frozen or dried. Amusing really, open your eyes to see what I have done to show you have no control over me."

Gabriel opened his eyes. There was the distinct smell of blood was in the air; polluted the air with its metallic, bitter, hollow, but fresh aroma. He panicked as looked to both sides of him to find that Jiro and Fleur were safely sleeping. But the stench did not dissipate, something was dead, a lot of something. He shot from his bed and progressed through the hallways of the inn that they had checked into. It was a log cabin style home, so the hallways appeared to be darker than normal. He almost was regretting it now. He looked down to see it. It was a trail of blood.
    He could feel his feet follow the trail. The small smears of blood became larger like stream the more that he progressed down the hallways. The blood began to expand than just walls alone. Ceilings, walls, lights, and doors were now covered in the crimson liquid tissue. Gabriel wanted to stop walking, but his feet wouldn't stop moving. He knew what was going to happen next. It was a story of logic. Blood came from living things, these things only lost blood when they were hurt, and then they would die if this amount of blood was lost.

Gabriel descended the stairs to see the sight—fifty people, dead. They were piled upon each other like a pit grave. Twisted necks, stab wounds, burns, and various mixtures could be seen in the corpses. Gabriel fell to his knee. He wanted to vomit. The smell of the rank bodies filled the room, weakening Gabriel's knees.

"I thought you said killing was fun?"

"When did you do this?"

"Isn't it obvious?" "Tonight..."

"Stop it...get out my head."

"Oh, I thought you had power over me. Look at what you did. You were so proud what you did years back because you got what you wanted? Isn't that right?"

"I just..."

"There is no excuse for that. Now..." Gabriel's hand became absorbed in fire. "Burn this place to the ground..."

"Gabriel..."

Gabriel turned his attention to Jiro, stopping his flames at the moment. His eyes seemed to quake out of it sockets. Sweat poured down Gabriel's face and unconsciously tears. Jiro assessed the situation before taking in some rancid air. It almost clogged his throat instead of soothing his fear.

"To tell the truth Gabriel..." Jiro started. "I'm here to stop Largo."

"That's why you've been tagging along..." Gabriel's voice was heaving.

"The Ranger Union sent me to investigate your killings of Pokemon."

"How did you know it was me?"

"No one can forget those flames," Jiro stated.

"Are you going to take me in?" Gabriel stated. Even he was unsure if it was he that was saying that. It was definitely unsettling for the both of them.

"No. I'm not. I'm going to help you beat this."

"Beat me...that idea is ridiculous…" Gabriel shoved the thought away. "Can you...?"
    "Consider it done."

Jiro extended his hand, sending a wave of aura to sway Gabriel asleep. It's been quite some time he had to use his aura to control Gabriel. It sent back memories that he didn't want to recreate in the already Jiro managed to catch him before he hit the ground and threw him over his shoulder. He headed back to the room where the three had slept, a small suite on the other side of the town.

"Fleur....?" Jiro's voice whispered.

"Yes..." Fleur was already awakened long before Jiro's whispered into her ear.

"Can you get up now? We have to leave?" he beckoned.

"Why?" Fleur panicked.

"I can't tell you..." Jiro was lost at words. "But, do not open your eyes until we are out of the building."

"Alright, I'll get our stuff."

Fleur stood up. Jiro knew she could feel it, that dankness in the air that death emits. It woke her up. Though hesitate, she did what she promised and collect all that she could. She then proceeded to close her eyes. Jiro grabbed her hand, guiding her through the wood corridors. He seemed to be relatively unaffected by the added weight of Gabriel on his shoulders. He just moved as quickly as he could with Fleur's hand clutched tightly to his. They progressed down the stairs.

"What is going on? I feel like...?" Fleur began to open her eyes.

"No, do not open them," Jiro roared.

"Okay," Fleur gave a gulp before closing her eyes tightly.

Jiro managed to pave a way through the bodies that now created the ground of the first floor. He guided Fleur through the corpses and managed to open the door. The devastation didn't stop at the inn. Feeling the fresh air of the night, Fleur opened her eyes to see that the horrid. She fell backwards back into the house to see the pain there too. It was impossible now. She screamed as loud as she could.

"My god...." Jiro's voice was whimpering now.

The entire village of Dragon's Wake right outside of Pewter City was burned to the ground. There were even more bodies on the street; children, mothers, fathers, grandparents, pokemon, everything. Jiro's eyes began to stream tears down his face. It brought back memories that he tried to push away. Those memories of that day at the school, his heart wrenched. He covered his mouth with his gigantic palm trying to stop himself from screaming now. They contorted in ways that bones couldn't possibly go. Bones broke the skin in many of the bodies while in others limbs were missing only to be found farther down the road. Splattered on the ground was not only blood but organs, ripped clean from the body. The sight couldn't be fathomed by anyone—man or beast. There were no survivors.
    Jiro sent out a scream of anger. It echoed into the night sky. The nightmare had reoccurred.

*​

They were met by the same devastation. None of them seemed to show any fear however though this was more than unexpected. The S.D.C progressed through the tarnished dirt road that was once treaded by the people of Dragon's Wake. The town's square that would have been covered with people due to the markets was now covered with the bodies of those same people. Fountains that were once flowing crystal clear water were now tainted with the blood of the innocent. Dismembered bodies were laid waste throughout the entire town; hanging out of windows, run through by the spear-like post, and crushed underneath the large statues were some of the more horrible deaths.

"Who would have done all of this?" Rex spoke between his teeth.

"Isn't it obvious," Josh expanded his pokeball. "Volt, you're needed."

Volt the Electivire slammed on the ground upon exiting his pokeball. Volt's red and silver eyes seemed to view the apocalyptic scene. He gave a low grunt from the side of his mouth before slamming his fist into the ground. A web of electricity weaved through the bodies as well as through the buildings. Romy, Katrine, and Rex seemingly watched as the Electivire seemingly heaved a large sigh. It brought its fist up upon giving Josh a telepathic report on the situation.

"Tell the rest of your group that there are three living creatures left. They are who you think they are…" Volt folded his arms.

"Volt says that their three living bodies in the area, and they are three that he recognizes. It's highly doubtful that they are survivors of this cataclysm."

"Then who are they?" Rex roared.

"Gabriel, Jiro, and Fleur," Josh seemed to have little to no astonishment on his face.

"I knew it," Romy crossed her arms.

"They are on the move," Josh commented.

"Then let's go."

The four as well as Volt continued through the waves of corpses. Out of all of them, Katrine seemed the most visibly discomfited. She had only truly seen this type of thing through picture and video alone, close up was a different experience. Her heart was racing beyond their normal limits as the continued throughout the town. After some moments, she found herself within one of the large arms of Rex.

"Only a little longer before we before we catch these damned murderers," Rex said that in a vigorous tone.

"You really know what to say," Romy said in sarcasm.

"I think it was sweet," Katrine said as she held onto Rex.

"ah ah ha..." he blushed but quickly shook it off realizing it wasn't the right time.

"The three of you," Josh barked. "Volt and I are going pursuit."

"Josh—wait!" Romy cried out.

It was too late. Volt and Josh had already moved ahead of the group, moving the speed beyond light itself. Rex as well as Romy crossed their arms in the anger. Katrine gave a faded, somewhat dull smile. No matter what they felt, they were powerless to stop him now. All they could do now was to follow his lead.

"Dammit. He's fast..." Rex murmured.

"They didn't call him the God of Lightning in Sinnoh because he was slow," Katrine mentioned.

"How does he do it?"

"He or Volt," Katrine asked.

"Both would be nice…" Rex proclaimed.

"They move at incredible speeds for two separate reason; Volt through Motor Drive while Josh himself transfers his electricity to his feet to move light speed. He has pretty interesting uses for lightning," Katrine shrugged.

"I thought Motor Drive can only activate when Volt is hit by an electricity attack," Romy asked.

"Did you forget Josh can create lightning?" Katrine flashed a smile.

"Smart ass kid," Rex nodded his head.

"We better follow him before we lose his trail..." Katrine began dashing in the general direction of Josh.

Rex and Romy nodded accordingly before dashing as well towards the direction in where Josh was headed. Hopefully they would get there in time.

"Another powerful presence is coming...who now?"

"K.R.P.D most likely. That more than unfortunate, we can't possibly fight them like this," Fleur panicked.

"That is more than correct, my dear..."

Jiro and an already shaken Fleur turned to the sound of the voice. Upon one of the larger buildings in the area, Josh and Volt stood; Josh with an unusually cruel smile on his face. Jiro and Fleur seemed to eye the exit, they were so close from escaping and now this man stood in their way. This wasn't something that they wanted, not now. All they had to make it through was the wooden gates and somehow lose this man in the forest. However even that seemed impossible now. This man's blue eyes stared down at them, aghast.

"Drop him...." Josh commanded.

"I cannot do that," Jiro himself was unsure if he could defeat Josh. Not like this.
    "You don't have much of a choice on this matter. Remember that night, when you said that you would protect Gabriel and Fleur with your life," Josh looked for a response from Jiro, he nodded. "I'm going to make you ante up to those words. Now..."

"Hear me out..." Jiro started. "Please....please...let us escape..."

"Why would I do something like that?" Josh's face washed with a muse of violence. "After all he has caused me to go through; after all I have lost getting to this point. You are going to plead for me to let you escape. What's this foolishness?"

"This foolishness...is my friendship towards him. You do not all the underlying tribulations that he went through."

"What he went through," Josh roared in laughter. "I'm not interested in such folly. Just hand him over before I'll have to pry him out of your dead hands."

"I cannot…"

"You'll regret those words..." Josh murmured.

Josh suddenly catapulted himself with a stream of lightning towards Jiro. Until then he did not see that Josh was wielding a knife underneath the end of his cloak, he managed to dodge it at the last second. He soon found himself dodging several different from Josh's blade. With each passing moment, it became more and more difficult for him to dodge. The blade's swings were blinding now. He could only dodge them now by the sounds that they made when the cut through the air. At last, Josh stabbed Jiro in the upper chest causing him fall to his knees. Josh pulled the thin, spike like blade from Jiro's skin, causing him to fall unconscious from the blood lost.

Successful, Josh licked the blood from his blade before heading towards Fleur who was now quaking in fear at the lost of her own protection. She fell backwards trying to reach to her pokeball only for her wrist to be seized by Josh's. She could feel her carpel's in her wrist snap in his hand, crunching them like ice between his teeth. She yelped in pain.

"Thanks for the catch..." Josh mentioned as he threw her from where she was into the wall of a building--the after effect being the obvious unconsciousness.

Josh approached the still hypnosis-inflicted Gabriel. It was more like stalking, like a poacher. He raised his blade. Gabriel's eyes shot open, iris consumed by a burnt vermilion color. Gabriel grabbed the sword by the blade; Josh kept a low pressure though he subconsciously wanted to cut through his palm.

"We meet again...Josh..." Gabriel started to speak. His voice was torture to a person's soul. It could be only be explained a low growling tainted by the muse of death.

"So...you're the monster that lives inside of Gabriel. Largo was it?"

"How do know about that?" 'Largo' amused.

"Pokemon Eclipse Theory, what did you expect during my times at Sinnoh? I wasn't just training, Largo."

"Then you know what I'm capable of," Largo paused for a moment. "Why did you release me then? You must have known that Jiro was my cage."

"I wanted to take you in as the killer not the performer."

"Good answer. But isn't it a bit over zealous."

Gabriel or Largo rather pushed Josh's blade away from himself. The long gash on his palm from the edge of the blade began healing allowing only the blood to be the only attest to the fact that it was there in the first place. Largo licked the palm of his hand, allowing his tongue to curl up his now pale palm. Josh could now see the fang like teeth where jutting from the gum. This perked Josh's interest to what exactly 'Largo' was. However, he kept it to himself.

"You die here," Josh stated.

"Not going to happen. I should give you thanks. With those two around," Largo's eyes shot from the downed Jiro and Fleur, "I would never be able to escape."

"It matters not since you are going to be killed."

"Don't think you will have the chance on that one," Largo shook his head condescendingly. "I'm much more powerful than my other half."

Josh, enveloped in a white lightning, appeared behind Largo only for him to cut completely through Largo's shoulder. The white blade phase through him completely, almost like he was a ghost sort. This left Largo to heave a rather heavy sigh of boredom. With a snap of his finger, Largo had made his escape within a torrent of flames.

"Not now…little child, I don't have time for this. Enjoy your catch. It's the only meal that you are going to have tonight," Largo taunted as his voice faded.

Josh's anger fumed into a physical manifestation, causing him to let out an inhuman-like roar. Volt managed to stop Josh's from doing any more damage from the lightning that emitted from his body by absorbing it. After calming down slightly, Josh returned Volt to his pokeball. His face assumed that icy expression once more.

"Looks like we are too late..."

Rex, on his usual means of transportation, trotted up to Josh whom was still breathing heavily from his escaped target. Lightning crackled from the sides of Josh's mouth as flames would a dragon. Josh slammed his fist into the ground, but his eyes were focused on Rex as well as the now approaching Romy and Katrine.

"Where were all of you?"

"Hell if you going to blame us for you running off," Rex shouted.

"That's right," Romy spoke softly. "You ran off without us."

"Let's not blame each other. Gabriel got away, yet again. We can't be discouraged," Katrine said offering the sense of reason in this conversion.

"How many times are we going to let him get away?" Josh threw that statement towards Katrine. It smacked her innocent expression off her face. "Do know how many times a person can a person say next time? They can say it an infinite number of times from their mouths. Next time might never come," Josh's voice held despair even though it was hard to tell. "Next time might be a last time for someone else."

"What do we do now?" Katrine was checking the radar on the Pokevoyac. None of the targets were appearing. "Wherever Gabriel has gone, he's not here anymore."

"Take them into custody," Josh barked.

"If you going to bark orders like that--" Rex was stopped by Romy's hand.

"It's no need. He'd just keep at it," Romy stated.

Romy approached the unconscious Fleur. For some reason more than any other time, she pitied her. She scooped her off the ground to place her on the back of Sebastian. She squared her shoulders, trying to mask the feeling of guilt she felt before heading to the now life-threatened Jiro.

"Let him die," Josh turned his back. "It's nothing you can do. I sent electric waves coursing through his blood stream with my blade, Zeus the Cloud Gatherer."

"I'm not going to let him die, Josh..."

"For what reasons should he live," Josh inquired.

"Do you need logical ones or ethical?" Romy asked as she knelt to Jiro's side.

"Tell me both," Josh longed preferred logical yet he felt the need to here the other side as well. It was that nagging thought of Cyrus that pushed him to say "both".

"I'll give you the logical one first. Say if we let him die, any information that he knows about Gabriel will die as well. To say the least, our only lead about where he should be going will be lost to us. Not to say the fact that interrogating him might bring us closer to something larger," Romy extended her hands over Jiro's body. For a person who obviously didn't like pure logic, Romy was the master at it. "On top of that, he's a ranger from the Ranger Union in Almia. He's probably on a mission to observe the killings of Pokemon here by both Gabriel and Team Rocket. Interfering in his mission could cause bad relations between Almia and Kanto. Killing him would leave worst options in the end than taking him into custody."

After slamming Josh with his desired "logic", Romy continued to her initial mission of healing Jiro. Josh silenced himself to observe Romy's trainer's skills. To him, it only appeared to be a flurry of pink peony flower petals and mist. The mist however had that healing property. It had the ability to repair cell damage if she concentrated enough on it. She was focused immensely while keeping the eye contact with Josh at the same time.

"What about ethical," the word felt foreign in the roof of Josh's mouth.

"For one, he's a human being trying to protect someone who gave his dream a chance. Secondly, he's not the bad guy; he never once killed a person with Gabriel six months ago. Thirdly, he has a family that he is providing for...." Romy paused as Jiro stirred--a good sign. "Lastly, he is a friend of mine as well," Romy managed to catch a glimpse of Josh's facial expression.

"What?" Josh gave hollow voice to such a puzzling revelation.

"I met him in Ranger School. A rather quiet guy who never really talked to anyone else around, I decided during our time at the Ranger School. We were friends. I didn't want to mention this to you earlier."

"Hmph..." the grunt in Josh's voice at that showed that he was completely revolted.

Romy removed her hands from Jiro's chest, allowing the wound to settle for a moment. Jiro was now breathing even if they were brusque.

"Rex, can you take him on Sebastian too?" Romy asked.

"Alright, I have other pokemon I can travel on."

"That's great. Katrine, can you start on the report for the people here..."

"Already working on it," Katrine was typing on a small portable computer she kept with her.

"We will be moving out then."

~

Author's note: WHAMBAM! This chapter makes you think doesn't it. ha ha. All you knew just changed planes. I'm feeling really awesome right now. So you might get another chapter soon. Hope that you like the chapter.

Years
  • Quite an interesting chapter you have there, SS. It seems as though Largo is finally free, but what I'd like to know is when will Gabriel be good again? That aside, I thought it was really mean of Josh to nearly kill Jiro with his electrified knife... what was its name again? I'm looking forward to reading more adventures about Josh and the gang.

P.S.

Check my fic's thread; I've updated it with Chapter 6 part 2. And check your PMs as well... a little thank you present in regards to the other story is waiting for you.

Sgt Shock

Goldsmith
    Years
  • Quite an interesting chapter you have there, SS. It seems as though Largo is finally free, but what I'd like to know is when will Gabriel be good again? That aside, I thought it was really mean of Josh to nearly kill Jiro with his electrified knife... what was its name again? I'm looking forward to reading more adventures about Josh and the gang.

P.S.

Check my fic's thread; I've updated it with Chapter 6 part 2. And check your PMs as well... a little thank you present in regards to the other story is waiting for you.

His knife is called Zeus the Cloud Gathering--and yes he was over the top in this chapter. In terms of Gabriel being good....I can't tell you. It's up for the readers to see what comes next.

I'm glad that you like Largo and the chapter.

To any other reader. My next chapter is coming in a few.

Sgt Shock

Goldsmith
    Years
  • Chapter 13: Death is only mourned once...

"So, where is he?"

"I do not know...."

"So what do you know?"

The punishment for hesitation was yet another Shadow Ball from the Xue, Josh's Froslass. The ball of purplish color energy struck Jiro and absorbed through the pours of his skin. He yelled out in pain as the Shadow Ball's vile power went to work, wrecking through his memories as well as breaking his body down. Sweat dripped from his brow as the pain finally lowered keeping him at the bridge between life and death. Jiro's eyes were basically glazed from the pain, but somehow he was still conscious for better or for worst in his case. Josh grabbed a clump of his hair and forced him to stare within his eyes.

"Tell me where Gabriel is?"

"I..." Jiro was struggling to keep consciousness now, "I do not know..."

"You're lying," Josh remained cool but it was obvious anger the drove him.

"What if he's not lying?" Rex folded his arm.

Josh chose not to speak with Rex, who might possibly be right in the situation. He continued to pressure Jiro with various questions that he either did not answer (due to consciousness issues) or could not answer (due to not knowing). At the end, left Josh with more question than he had answers. Josh's face changed into a contemplation expression, which reminded Rex of a supreme king from a sci-fi movie.

"I think that it is time for you to go to sleep now," Rex mentioned. It was pretty late, about midnight.

"I haven't got a single piece of information yet. I'm truly thinking about my interrogation technique."

"What would that be?" It surely was something to think about when you said something like that; Rex had to know.

"You see. I can control electricity correct?"

"Correct?"

"What you didn't know is I can control anything dealing with an electric charge. So theoretically, I can control the sparks that are sent from the brain to the neurons and vice versa."

"Whoa, dude. I'm not even a scientist and I know that can kill a person. What are you trying to do?"

"Unless you have a better idea," Josh peered over to Rex.

"Anything is better than killing the dude. What is your problem man? Sometimes I think you're a nice guy and on the flip side you are some sadistic freak. Who is Josh Surge? Is he the tolerable one or the obsessed one?"

"What are you trying to say?"

"I'm trying to say that you are playing two different people man. Just like you said there are two sides of Gabriel, you aren't much different," Rex's eyebrows collapse downward forming this rather serious expression.

"I truly hate being compared with Gabriel."

"So I'm not the first. I'm sure as hell isn't going to be the last if you keep on acting like this."

"I just want to put an end to all of this," Josh's voice rose.

"Man…you are so annoying!"

Katrine made herself the median between the two of them, pushing them away from each other. Unknowingly to both of them, their fist was balled up about to brawl. Katrine looked at the two men back and forwards, hoping one of them would drop their guards. Rex was the first to do so, coming back to his normal expression. For Josh however, the emotion just sucked away from him to create this expression of solitude. Josh returned Xue to her pokeball.

"Go to damn sleep," Rex spoke.

"I plan too," Josh walked off.

"I thought you two were friends," Katrine said. It did look like it on the route up here.
    "We are. I guess…" he trailed off, were they from how they acted. "He's just annoying when he gets like that," Rex stated. "How is Romy doing?"

"She was just tired from all that healing. Nevertheless, she is resting."

"How's that other girl? Fleur was it?" Rex found himself asking more questions than he wanted.

"She is doing fine. I had to wrap her wrist up since Josh snapped it."

"That is practically woman abuse..." Rex had to push these feelings of anger aside. He hated men that hurt women, a trait that he adopted from his father.

"So that why you didn't fight Iris and Ivy?" Katrine tilted her head.

"What?" Rex hadn't realized he said it aloud. "Yeah…my dad always taught me not to hurt women…so I don't."

"Your dad must be a great person despite the circumstances that he went through,"
    Katrine sighed; she knew that Rex hated talking about this. "Forget it," Katrine mentioned. She turned her head to Romy, who was now awake. "It must really hurt her inside..." Katrine whispered.

"What hurts her inside…?" Rex wondered.

Romy stared out into the black sky above them. She seemed to be having a silent conversion with the stars. Low whisperings uttered from her lips. At times she appeared to be crying, her green glow in her eyes began watering to produce a slight tears. Though she tried to hide it, she was staring at Josh as well trying to push the memories away. Katrine as well as Rex approached Romy slowly.

"What's wrong?" Rex asked.

"I want to talk to him," Romy said raising her head. "I just can't get the strength to anymore."

"Why?"

"You know why. You saw what he just did. He could have killed Jiro with those attacks."
    "Talk to him about it. He's much more willingly to open up with you."

"Not like how I was acting in the hospital that day..."

"Go. What can he do but give you the cold shoulder?" Rex mentioned.

"Wish me luck then."

Romy arose to her feet, it was like they wanted to stand up; she did not feel any ache. She found her body moving slowly to Josh, who was lying awake though he appeared to be motionless sleep. Romy pushed him several times before Romy was forced to view his eyes once more. Those eyes that she once loved now feared. Josh sat up.

"May I help you?" Josh asked.

"I want to talk with you," Romy hung her head. "And apologize for what I said at the hospital. I let my emotions get the better of me."

"I don't hate you, Romy. I just can't love you. Love means nothing to me."

"Like life?" Romy stabbed involuntarily. She didn't come here to pick a fight with him. "Forgive me."

"No. You're right. That's why I'm willingly to protect it and take it. Either way it's the same with me," Josh took a deep breath. "Romy, do you understand that I died that day?"

"Died..." Romy became nonplussed.

"The day at Seafoam Island I died –both physically and mentally. I met with death, felt its cold hand against my shoulder as he dragged me away from life. At first, I thought of it as a solace from all of my blunders in my pitiful life. I came to terms with reaching death's benefits, the silence that bestowed a person consciousness, a perfect sleep. I wanted to be relieved of all my emotional attachments—burdens."

"Then what gave you to will to live?"

"Will to live? Let me ask what do you think about life? What makes it important? Death makes life significant. If life stretched on to infinity, what would make the word "life" significant? Without death, life is nothing more than an abyssal amount of time occupied by slabs of meat and flesh. Death makes one's life significant. Life is celebrated many times during their existence, death is only mourned once. It holds more power leaving a scar on people. "

"So you want to leave that scar on crime? That why you're doing this."

"It's logical, is it not?"

Romy finally took sat beside Josh. She stretched her legs as far as she could against the blades of grass. Romy lower her shoulders before taking a deep breath. A cool breeze brushed against the both of them.

"You know. Death isn't a salvation to most. The person often wishes for death, only wishes they could mend their living mistakes. If that's your will is to give people protection while being a judge to the malefactors, you might want to think that over."

"Why?" Josh's voice became defiant.

"You'll see, when the times comes," Romy smiled.

"Understanding death..." a voice suddenly spoke, it was Jiro. "Is only half of life. I'll tell..."

"Tell us what?"

"About P.E.T...and Gabriel..."

Jiro though obviously still affected by the effects of the Shadow Ball stumbled on the grass in front of Romy and Josh. The color in his eyes was bleached, leaving him to look obscenely ill-looking. His shoulders and arms slumped downwards making him look like a primate. Though he was reeling from the attack, he was willing to speak.

"Gabriel was one of the first experiments of the P.E.T project. As you probably know by now, Gabriel suffers from Dissociative Identity Disorder, harboring another personality. He once had it under control though at times it did show itself. His biological father, Theodore Roderick, was something of a perfectionist. He couldn't accept that something that of his genes created something imperfect. He set out to change this, researching ways in cure this disorder from Gabriel's mind altogether. He turned to the only thing that he hadn't tried, Team Rocket and their Pokemon Eclipse Theory to splice Gabriel's DNA with a pokemon power. Though he appeared to heal at first, it only made Largo stronger...leaving Theodore to his death. It satisfied Largo for the moment of time, Gabriel had clear conscious. Yet the urge to kill came back as quickly as before. The next victims were the school that we had intended. In the end, he only found that killing appeased the monster that his father created so he kept killing to appease that monster."

"Are you talking to give a reason for Gabriel's killings? That is ridiculous…" Josh mentioned.

"I do not approve of anything that Largo does. I'm just trying to help my friend," Jiro answered.

Soon after that statement, Jiro collapse to his knees. The after effects of the Shadow Balls appeared to be much more than Romy would have thought. Yet Josh didn't show remorse on that fact. Romy helped Jiro to get to his back to at least rest peacefully.

"Every time I think that you are coming back to me, Josh, you walk farther away…" her voice became chopped at the end.

Romy proceeded to help Jiro sleep comfortably before walking away herself. Josh took in the silence; deep down, he longed the true death of all of his emotions.
    *​

Cold sweat dripped down the side of Alice's brow as she woke from her sleep. She could feel that he was roaming the earth now. That slow melody in the air that rang every time that he took a step was drifting in the air. Largo was awakened again, she could feel it. It felt like Gabriel was calling out to him, reaching towards her while Alice tried to pull him away. Yet, she couldn't. He was stationed tightly in the tar of the darkness that surrounded him sinking slowly in its ebony grasp.

Alice slipped out of her bed, allowing her feet to hit the ground without her husband, Cliff, not to be disturbed. Cliff was oblivious of the life that his wife and his step-son had to suffer through. She didn't want him to leave off of something like this, so she kept it to herself. Besides, she didn't want him in danger—she didn't want to become a widow again.

The thoughts now began to collectively bother her. The only idea that she could think of is the use of her crystals. Maybe they could give an insight on Largo, it was worth the shot. With that confirmed, she brought herself to a place that could shower her with more light. She chose a place on the chair by the window. She opened her palms.
    A sphere like crystal shaped itself, molded from the woman's consciousness alone. One moment at a time the crystal slowly molded into itself perfect shape. She peered within the crystal to see a small glimpse of a vision. It startled her to the point that the crystal shattered within her hand. The shards missed her hands barely but the shards clattered against the floor causing Cliff to sprint up instantly.

"What was that?" Cliff his voice was of fear; he apparently thought that someone had broken in.

"It's nothing; I just dropped this glass..." Alice never told Cliff about her powers as well because it might spark a conversion about if Gabriel had powers.

"I see," Cliff sighed in relief. "Have you heard of Gabriel? That must have you worried."

Alice blonde hair fell over her face as she turned away. She would never visibly so such signs of weakness yet she was doing so right now. She rushed into the bathroom before Cliff could actually see her tears.

Though she was in a dark room in the middle of the night, it gave her the sense of comfort. She needed some time to herself after the images that displayed themselves within the crystal just then. She flicked the lights on, showing that she rather close to the sink. Alice turned the faucet, cupped her hands underneath, and splashed her face with it. The cool water felt kind of rejuvenating though it couldn't soothe the thoughts behind the face. She put her head to view the mirror to see that a man was standing behind her. It wasn't Cliff.

"You!?!" Alice shouted creating a ring of crystal spikes around his neck.

"Then you know why I'm here," it was Shroud.

Shroud simply plucked the spikes from around his neck, one by one, picking them like petals of the flower. He placed the crystals within Alice's hands before pacing the bathroom. This time he was wearing tattered black cloak inside of a tattered brown one, it didn't make much of a difference for Alice's disgust.

"How did you get in here," Alice barked, but she kept her voice low.

"Is that what matters at the moment?" Shroud tilted his head. "You know what I am here about?"

"Gabriel..."

"He killed a slew of people at Dragon Wake. More so," Shroud's eyes seemed to wonder the room. "Largo is now in control. I thought that you told me that killing would satisfy Largo. I have no problem with killing for pay or even killing to satisfy yourself, but overdoing both isn't something my company believes in."

"Can you stop thinking about your company?"

"Can you stop thinking about your physical appearance? But that is not the point I'm trying to make, dear. Iris and Ivy told me that specifically about Largo's killings though they couldn't stop them because they ran into a strife on the way,'" Shroud was well aware that the girls fought K.R.P.D. He was disappointed in them, but pushed those feeling aside. "Nevertheless, do you have any idea to stop this before I put mine into action? Did you speak with him like I said?"

"I did not," Alice found no need to hurt her schedule maybe that was a mistake.

"You're such a woman of business yet you can't handle a simple personal business by request. You are horrible," Shroud shook his head.

"This is coming from an assassin?" Alice interrupted.

"It's my job, lady. I don't badger you about your jobs do I? Like always, we digress. Back to the task at hand," Shroud had his way with words to be able to bring a good comeback without losing his place in his conversion. "Control Largo before someone disposes him…"

"No one is strong enough to defeat Largo!"

"Then explain your vision, didn't you see..."

"STOP IT!" the crystals in her hand shattered.

The shout sent an echo through the bath room, causing the door to fling open with a concerned Cliff on the other side. Alice turned away from Cliff to see that Shroud was no longer there. Was he there in the first place? She could deny that he was here, the now dust in her hands were placed there by him. She knew for a fact he was there.

"What is going on," Cliff said with the confusion in his hazel eyes becoming worst.

"Nothing..." Alice was out of excuses. "It was nothing."

That seemed to suffice for the most part on Cliff's expression. He walked up to his wife, wrapping his small arms around her shoulder to lead her back into the bedroom. He then assisted her to lie down on the bed.

"Tell me what is happened?" Cliff took his seat beside his wife.

"I had a dream about Gabriel."

"What about Gabriel?" Cliff continued.

"Something...bad is happening with Gabriel," she had the decency to clue him in on at least that.

"It's just a dream, honey. He's probably fine."

"I wish I could say that," Alice shook her head.

"Then don't worry, in the morning, we will try to contact Gabriel."

"Yes....alright."

Alice slipped underneath the sheets as did Cliff. For him, this was going to be like any night; for Alice, however, it was going to be a rough one. Those visions were burned into her very thoughts right now. She could now hear the screams, ringing elegies in the back of her mind. She brought the sheets to her mouth and closed her eyes. The very least she could do is try to go to sleep.
    *​

Josh brought himself up to survey the surrounding area. He had made it a habit to lay a web of electric current throughout to about a half of mile where he would rest. Today he had caught an unknowing moth within it, and it was time to suck them dry. He got to his feet. It was now about morning, the only evidence of that fact was that the moon's light seemed to lack its previous luster.

"Who are you?"

Josh physically pointed to the shadows. Through training, Josh had the ability to sense and pin point different electrical currents. Humans differed from birds; birds differed from mammals, and so on. It wasn't hard for him to tell the difference in people now. This person however, was someone that he didn't know, so he assumed for it to be an enemy. Josh drew his pokeball, it was Rikani's. He subconsciously enjoyed the choice.

"If you want me to exterminate you, I will oblige."

"Josh Surge, I presume...."

"Who might you be?"

"I have no name. I'm just a messenger for his majesty."

"And who might that be?" Josh questioned.

"He has chosen you for spreading his greatness."

"If I refuse," Josh spoke folding his arms.

"There is not refusal. You have been chosen by his majesty, Yeshushin."

"I will not be under anyone's rule. I am my own ruler; I do not need something guiding my every movement."

"Yet Cyrus has corrupted your very way of thinker. Tell me, what is the difference?"

"I don't view Cyrus as a god. I view him less than a human being. I'm nothing like him," Josh stated.

"Nevertheless, you do not have a choice in this matter, Raijin!"

The man shot the syringe filled to the brim with the blue liquid towards Josh. However it exploded in mid air, not a drop even touching his skin. He stared at the azure colored blood almost in a disgusted trance. There were people that injected themselves with that repulsive substance voluntarily. He couldn't help but laugh at the insanity of it all.

"Enough of this foolishness," Josh spoke, ending his laughter on an abrupt end. "I said I refuse. You have no choice in that matter. In spite of your parasite that you believe is a god, I refuse. Now come to the reality of things. He won't save you from me right now. He won't bring you out of this present. The truth is, without any of my company to stop me; I'll be free to kill you right now."

The man took a step back, shocked from the words that left Josh's lips. The intent in his eyes was like nothing that the man had ever seen before. It was like evil was engrossed in Josh's very eyes. He began to sprint away only for his leg to be between the teeth of the Luxray's mouth. When Josh released it, he didn't know. What he did know was that the fangs were piercing through the muscle effortless becoming one with the bone on the first bite. She was meant for this, Josh had trained her to kill on sight. Rikani's job was nothing more than a merciless devourer of flesh.

"You will die here," Josh spoke the words one at a time, slowly enjoying every word.

"Please no..."

"Don't wake up the other three. I don't want them to see such..." Josh searched through his mind. "justice."

Josh placed his hand on the man's now exposed face. He could see the fear in the man's dark eyes as watched the streaks of lightning emerge from Josh's palms. Though he hated to admit it, a person's eyes truly did look their best in their last minutes. Yet, they also looked their worst while they were begging for mercy that they didn't deserve. He was indeed a monster, especially when the link of lightning left his control to strike through the man's skull. His life had ended. Only to be mourned, never celebrated again.

Years
  • What an interesting chapter, SS. If I may ask, who was that man that Josh killed? And so Jiro reveals Gabriel's secret... what other secrets will be revealed, I wonder? Keep up the excellent work, my friend, you're doing a superb job. Also, what will Dusk and Gray's father do now that his pawn is dead...?

Sgt Shock

Goldsmith
    Years
  • Chapter 14: Dura Lex, Sed Lex
    The Law Is Harsh but it is the Law...

"How is the test subject?"

"Why don't you see yourself, pops?"

"You're alive, Troy?" Cray questioned with a frown on his face. He was hoping better news than that.

"Did you think that your little alien friend could stop me from living? Besides, I have unfinished business with several people in this world."

"Who will those be?"

"Nigel, Josh, and you in no particular order," the boy spoke. Cray could imagine him shrugging with that statement which evolved the frown to a full expression of disgust. "I'm bound to find out how this body works, father. When I do, I will search for you."

"Not if I exterminate you now..." Cray's voice became solid—or increased in solidity.

"How do you plan to do that? I've already learned one thing that I can do."

With that spoken, he severed his arm from his body allowing it to roll to the front of the cage. Cray stared blankly at the dismembered limb for a couple of moments to see the same limb grabbing it from the bars. It was an obvious regenerative factor, beyond any that he had seen from the P.E.T. Perhaps the cells was not rejecting him entirely, creating this middle ground between nothing and something--an imperfection, yet a success. Cray laughed. It was too bad that he hated every fiber of his being right now. He would have posed much more useful.

"Simple put, father. I'm no longer Troy or your pawn Dusk. I've being thinking…" the boy pondered for a second to soak in the thought. "I don't think it is appropriate to call me any of those again. You may call me, Thanatos."

"Thanatos, the personification of death…" Cray looked down towards the man. "You will never get out of here to cause death."

"Don't be too sure, father dearest. I have every means of getting out of here."

The newly named experiment, Thanatos--the former name of Dusk--stared from behind the cage doors of his cell. Though behind a steel bars, his stared projected his entire feelings through them to Cray. It was the mixture of pure hatred and enjoyment at the same time. It almost felt as though he could rip through the bars right now to seize Cray's neck. It was almost unsettling though he himself could care less about threats; this one seemed to be the best one. Yet he couldn't dispose of him, if he could regenerate something like an arm in less than a second.

"De'Angelo," Cray barked.

"Yes," the scientist appeared out of nowhere.

"Is there a way to kill this experiment?" Cray folded his arms.

"Highly doubtful, he has learned that he can generate any cell in his body. It appears to be anything part of his body, including his head. It would be problematic."

"Of course it would be problematic," Thanatos mocked. "Though every cell in my body is aching in pain, I can generate them over and over again making me immortal. I don't need to sleep nor do I need to eat. I'm the perfect being and I plan to be much more than Yeshushin."

"You are nothing compared to Yeshushin, nothing more than a cheap imitation," Cray defended.

"No. I don't want to be an imitation of anything. I want to be original. I don't want to be obsolete. I don't want to be your memory. I'm no longer living in your shadow," Thanatos stretched his arms towards the bar. "It's only time."

Cray pried himself away from the prison. Listening to what his son's voice had turned into left a sense of an awkward intoxication in his body. He was had hoped that Troy would just curl up and died like the rest of the experiments that failed. Yet this creature known as Thanatos stood before him; creating his own agenda for the world. Nevertheless, Cray did not plan to let him escape so he was not a threat any longer. He walked away with that in mind, dragging De'Angelo along with him.

"What about the other test subject," Yeshushin was displeased, thus that same feeling trickled to Cray.

"He rejected him," De'Angelo didn't specialize in sugar-coating facts. He preferred them cold like that they should be.

"Excuse me," Cray folded his arms.

"Not only that, he killed the messenger," De'Angelo spoke in that smooth uncaring tone.

"Do you really want someone like that under Yeshushin?"

"You pose a good point, but that is what your master wants correct,"
    De'Angelo seized the chance at gain the upper hand on Cray for once.

"I do not wish to bring harm to our father. If this Josh character will not accept Yeshushin we will have to make him accept it."

"Don't plan on that either. He's far from a toy that can be used,"
    De'Angelo shot the plan down at close range leaving Cray to give a glance equivalent to death.

"Fine, what is your plan?"

"I say we let him come to us and let us come to him."

"How do you plan that?"

"Just leave that to me, Cray-sama," De'Angelo mocked.

De'Angelo flashed his patented smirk towards Cray before heading off to his work. For some reason, Cray disliked the idea; knowing too surely that it wasn't going to work like De'Angelo had planned.

"What the $%#@, Josh," Rex spoke calmly. That was more than enough of a surprise.

"You could have at least taken the man capture before killing him like that," Romy added.

"I don't know. He could have been put in a situation that wouldn't allow him to be so lenient guys," Katrine sympathized.

"Surely the lot of you would have done the same thing," Josh said defending himself.

"There are other alternatives than just killing Josh. You should know that. It should be your last priority."

"Now are we going to stand here worrying about the past, or are we going to be on our way?"

"The past is…what makes us…" Romy folded her arms walking past Josh as she said it.

They had made it halfway to back Saffron City before Josh told them about the man and Rikani's kill. She had picked the corpse clean before the other three woken up, to drag what's left of the body to the nearby river as the means of disposal. It was only of the fragment that was left of his conscious that forced the words to come from his mouth. He knew that they would react like this, but however it was much calmer than he had expected. None of them, including Rex, overreacted. It was like they had come to terms what Josh was doing; he didn't know if he wanted them to come to terms with it.

"You are going to need that mentality, I suppose," Romy mentioned as he folded his arms.

"Your eyes..." Jiro spoke, binded to his the rope that clutched his arms tightly to his chest, "reminds me of Largo."

"They are the eyes of a killer, what do you expect?" Rex mentioned.

Fleur was up now. Her vision alternated between Romy and Josh. It was like something broken was between them, she could feel it. Fleur was gifted with this ability to feel the flow between things; if that was wind, water, or feelings. There was definitely a change of flow since six months ago. It was disturbing in sort of an odd way.

"If you want to speak, do it," Josh's eyes darted to Fleur though his head didn't turn.

"What have you turned to?" Fleur asked.

"I've turned into the law...wasn't you the one that mocked me? Weren't you the one that wanted Romy dead?" Josh's sentenced at that disturbing flow into each other. "None of this would have started if it wasn't for you. I don't know what is stopping me from cutting the very larynx from your throat," Josh waved his weapon, Zeus, almost like a mad man.

Fleur gulped with the thought of her larynx being removed from her throat. She silenced herself with that thought. Jiro shook his head, telling her that she shouldn't talk anymore. She gladly took him up on that offer.

"Have you ever thought about how changed? How have you thought how much pain you bring people? Is that what the law is about? Is that what you want to law to be?"

"Are you questioning my means?" Josh spoke considered. Was he questioning his means that he logically built from sand to sturdy bricks?

"Do you believe order and chaos are the built from the same mold?"

"No..." Josh asked.

"Then why do you embark on a quest to merge to two realms?"

"The law isn't something that pandemonium can just push aside. It has to be just as relentless as the chaos it fights again."

"Then is it order or is it more chaos?"

Josh tried to approach the sentence logically. "Chaos is discord without form. Order is a calm structure. Then using force to create order is the action order or chaos? The idea is logical yet the action is chaos..." Josh reached a conclusion that he didn't like. Everyone awaited his answer.

"It is chaos..." Josh admitted.

"Why do you kill? Why do you bring yourself down like this? Why are you following Largo's path," Jiro pressured further.

"Shut up!" Josh roared. His composure was lost now, creating this madman's expression.

The shouting created an awkward silence. Josh's teeth gritted against themselves violently at the idea. Romy's eyes sparkled with the thought of seeing an emotion, though a negative one formed Josh's face. Exposed, like a kid being called to the principal after a deed, Josh watched Jiro closely.

"The law is harsh, but it is the law. I must uphold it."

"Then uphold it," Jiro stated. "Just do not break those bonds that you hold dear."

"What do you know about bonds," Josh spat.

"It is the thing that keeps me trying to bring Gabriel back," Jiro eyebrows folded inward.

Josh took his sword to slash the ropes that held Jiro and Fleur. Though his mind deemed it irrational by all meanings of the word, he found the impulse to let them go. Fleur stared at the severed ropes on back of the Bastiodon stunned. It was almost surreal. Was he letting them go? Has Jiro talked some sense into him? Her heart made thudding sounds as she stepped off of the Bastiodon's back. Her wrist still a reminder of what Josh can do and will do.

"You just a manipulative bastard," Josh stated.

"I wasn't trying to manipulate you by all means, Josh. You made that decision not I. But it won't go without a reward."

"I can't promise that I won't kill Gabriel if I had the chance," Josh stated.

"That too, will be a decision that you will have to make. I bid you farewell."

"Thanks..." Fleur spoke timidly.

"Leave before I change my mind."

Rex handed them their pokemon allowing the both of them to escape on Fleur's flying pokemon.

"Romy..." Fleur stated before becoming out of sight. "I'm sorry...."

"It's over. Just leave before he really changes his mind."

The two ascended to the sky. Romy, Rex, and Katrine observed the facial expression on Josh's face. None of them could decipher his facial expression. It wasn't emotionless yet it had no emotion. It was this paradox that no one generally liked.

"You do know we just lost our lead on Gabriel," Rex mentioned. He couldn't hold back his smile.

"I'm well aware of that," Josh walked forward. "They were of no use."

"That wasn't the reason you let them go," Romy in spite of it all.

"Feelings are...."

"Irrational," Katrine finished with a smile. "Yet that didn't stop you from saving me."

"I hate it all," Josh stuffed his hands in his pocket.

They continued on their way through the Route as empty handed as they exited with.

"I knew that you would come, Largo."

"De'Angelo? It has been some time, hasn't it?"

"I'm surprised that you remembered me. Aren't I your first blunder?" Largo mocked.

"I don't consider anything a failure. You came out a lot better than I thought however hence why you are here. How is Gabriel?"

"Annoyingly assertive," Largo's tilted his head. "So why did you call me here?"

"To help me get into someone's head..."

"Not a problem, do you want me to toy with him a bit?"

"So you know who I'm talking about?"

"How can I not, I can read your thoughts. They are basically screaming it to me. Josh isn't it?"

"Do you mind a partner in this endeavor," De'Angelo pressed forward.
    "Thanatos," Largo searched through his mind that was the only name that came forward. "Isn't that against your boss's orders?"

"Hm...perhaps," De'Angelo admitted, it was no need lying since Largo could see right through him.

"I don't mind if he doesn't get in my way. If he does however, I'm going to kill him."

"It won't be that easy. You see, he cannot be killed any means."

Was this some kind of joke? Largo thought to himself as his brought the cup of coffee to his mouth. The taste of the black coffee left bitterness in his mouth, he was fond of that flavor. It was nothing compared to the taste of blood however, it was a fitting substitute for the moment. He placed the porcelain cup upon the table, waving some of the stream towards De'Angelo's way. The scent of the freshly made coffee brushed against De'Angelo's face.

"You're giving me a partner that cannot be killed," Largo reiterated.

"A perfect one for you might I add."

"In theory..." Largo sipped the black coffee. "That would be correct."

"In theory, you would help to bring Josh to our side by any means necessary."

"Are you commanding me," Largo mocked.

"I'm suggesting since we were putting things in theory," De'Angelo spoke wittingly. "How much do you want to get paid? I know that you're pretty avarice."

"In a different way than my other half," Largo wanted something that is a bit more…useful to him.

"You want me to get rid of Gabriel…"De'Angelo waved it off as though he could get a piece on a whim.

"You're the quite the business man. But can you provide," Largo placed his chin on his the back of his hand.

"I'll work the kinks out. Consider it done. When can you start?"

"I'll start tonight. Tell this...Thanatos fellow to meet me at Lavender Town."

"Pleasure's mine."

"I've received the reports from my daughter," Wayne cleared his throat.
    "It couldn't be avoided. Did you manage to capture anyone involved?"

Josh's face shifted involuntarily with the question being asked. Of course, Wayne already had received the information from Katrine, but he wanted to see how Josh justified the action. Josh sublimely caught the message.

"I did it because..."Josh lacked a reason, much to his demise. "I find no need to tell you the reason," Josh spoke bitterly.

"You still are trying to put on this emotionless prick attitude. I know your reason. You have a heart left," Josh cringed when Wayne said it.
    "You did the right thing. If it is one person that can bring Gabriel to his senses, it is Jiro."

"What do we do now?" Josh folded his arms.

"I don't have a clue honestly," Wayne spoke nonchalantly. Maybe it would be nice if we rest for a while.

"Rest," Josh's voice shook with that word.

"Yeah, we need to find out where Gabriel's or Largo's next target," Wayne hated this split personality thing.

"Then we search."

"Blindly without a place of establishment, I think not. Besides, Colden and his team are searching clues. It's no need for two of our best teams to be out. So you're dismissed."

"Fine..." Josh stated. "Yes sir," he rephrased.

Josh exited through the hallways of their current establishment, Wayne's home between the Cerulean and Saffron. It was a ranch which serves as a Pokemon Daycare in where Wayne's grandparents lived as well as Katrine and himself. It made a pretty nice replacement in terms of size. In terms of functionality, it was too casual to be considered a good structure for to stay.

The ranch house itself was pretty large to appease a large group of people. The style of the house appeased the mixture between country and city pretty well. It was made out of wood that was painted with this chocolate brown color with white accent walls. The windows were clean—taken care of by a slew of Ambipoms that could clean the hard to reach places.

The inside was gigantic with a large amount of space and comfort. Though not particularly overly classy with not the best assortments of furniture or accessories, but was nice for the area.

Josh met with the rest of his team within the dinner hall of the area. For some reason, they had grown silent. Rex in particular was staring at his cellphone as it basically rung off the hook. Katrine and Romy stared at it for some time as well. Josh just grabbed it, annoyed by the ringtone mostly, and answered this.

"Hello," Josh asked.

"Who might this be?" the voice sounded fairly familiar, yet Josh couldn't grasp it.

"A friend of Rex's, he's not here at the moment," even though he was lying Josh's voice was so convincing, it almost made Romy and Katrine believe him.

"Oh. That's unfortunate. Tell him that Terrance called," the man sounded a bit disappointed.

"Will do."

"Thanks," Josh was then met with a dial tone.

Everyone's sight locked on Rex whose head was down during the entire conversion. Everyone came to expect something to come from Rex's mouth. He normally wasn't this withdrawn—or withdrawn at all for that moment.

"Who was that?"

"My brother..." Rex muttered.

"What?" Katrine and Romy had that degree of shock. Josh didn't.

"His name is Terrance Cordell and he is the Chief of J.R.P.D. He's my older brother."

"I wish I had a brother," Katrine mentioned.

"I have two," Romy added.

"Single child," Josh looked away.

"Lucky for you," Rex slammed his head into the table again. "What's our mission?" he needed to change the subject.

"Currently, we have none," Josh obliged with the subject change. That turned heads. "Largo has disappeared out of sight and since his signature is different from Gabriel, we cannot track him as effectively."
    "So what do we do?"

"I guess we wait for the right time."

"You're my partner?"

"For the time being," Thanatos looked from the corner of his eye.

"Then it's a deal."

"What are you getting from this?"

"Extinguishing my other half," Largo smiled. "What did he promise you?"

"Nothing…" Thanatos shrugged. "He already gave it to me. Freedom…I'm just going with the flow."

"What are you after, Thanatos?"

"Revenge against the people that wronged me," he laughed.

"I'll think we will make a good team."

The contract molded of revenge and greed was created with that handshake. Two monsters stalking the moonlight trail paved with blood threatens the fabric of the law. A low toned song dangles freely in the air.

"What's your plan against Josh?" Thanatos tugged on his cloak.

"I'm going to attack to the two things that he cares about most."

"Who might that be?"

"Romy Kimura and Matis Surge, his closest friend and his father, I'm going to bring out the side of him that he keeps stored away. That weakness that he always tries to hide away," Largo spoke as the sinister look in his eyes became dominate.

"Then who is going to take who."

"I'll take Romy, you'll take Surge. Simple as that," Largo stated.

"Sounds fun," Thanatos admitted.

"Then let's get to it."

Author's Note: Sorry for the wait guys. We are coming to the climatic end of the first half of Black Night Clouds. The second half of Black Night Clouds starts as soon as this one finished. XD Hope you like it.

Sgt Shock

Goldsmith
    Years
  • Chapter 15: Sleep's Half Brother

"It's you..."

"So you were expecting me, were you not?"

"No I wasn't initially. Someone tipped me of your coming."

"My mother perhaps, that's a very resourceful woman."

"I did not know that she was your mother, she remained anonymous when she called."

"So I guess her precognition works to some effect. Then you know what is going to come next, Rosemary Kimura."

This was the last place that Romy had expected to see Largo, within the room of the ranch with everyone sound asleep. Earlier tonight she was informed by a source, now known to be Alice Kirk, of Largo's targeting of her. Though the conversion was brief, it was precise leaving her to expect that it would be happening tonight of all place. She could see the vileness that consumed the eyes of Gabriel's body. It definitely not him behind those eyes, they almost cried out for them to be saved from themselves. Romy took a step forward.

Largo had a different air to him, partly due to his appearance. He no longer appeared to be his normal coordinator self. His blonde hair had turned to a grungy black that formed a veil over his right eye instead of his left. His eyes were only black with a small ring that formed of a blood color to be called an iris. Everything else about him to the way that he dressed to the way that he kept himself was different. Largo was an alternate person—not just an alter ego.

"So are you going to fight your way out of this?"

"Tell me. Is Gabriel still in there?" Romy asked.

"Why do you ask?"

"Are you the cause in why he does the things that he does?"

"Partly yes, partly no, I'm nothing more than a demon that he tried to exorcise much in the way you are trying to do with Josh."

"What do you mean?"

"You're trying to change a demon is. You're not getting your Josh back..."

"Shut up!"

"It's the truth. This is his true self. Can you deny a person's true nature?"

Romy knew this conversion was heading this way. This was about Josh after all, just like Alice had warned her. How did Alice know her phone number was beyond her, but it has proved very useful even now. Romy prepared herself. She knew her head was slowly become poisoned by fear. That was when her powers were at their peak. She prepared herself.

"What are you planning to do missy?"

"I'm planning to kill you."

Romy suddenly spewed oil like liquid from her mouth sending it at Largo's feet. He jumped back realizing that the liquid was corroding the ground floor in where it had landed. After a couple more shots from the oily poison, Largo found himself with his back behind the wall. He observed the black ooze. It was almost as though it was created through the alchemic formula of darkness and poison if one could obtain the night in their hands. It was dangerous, if one shot hit, it would melt him down to the bone. He laughed as she wiped some of the liquid with the back of her hand from her mouth.

"That's a pretty nasty power. Do you really want to take this moment away from Josh?" Largo mentioned.

"If it brings him back," Romy mentioned.

"It could distant the both of you further. Did you ever think of that?"

"No, I have not."

"See that is the same weakness that will have you KILLED!"

Before Romy could react, Largo had drawn a knife trying to sever Romy's head from her neck. She managed to step back before launching a counter attack. The attacks from both sides were stopped when a large figure blocked Largo's knife with its bare arm. That figure was Rex; however it only vaguely looked like him from the darkness. "He used it..." Romy thought to herself as she got herself steady "He never uses it."

"Stay....stay away from Romy...." Rex's guttural almost hissing spoke.

"One's company...." Largo shrugged as he made his way towards a window while avoiding the holes that Romy's power made. "Two is a hassle."

"You won't get away...."

Rex, or what appeared to be him, began shooting bullet created from pressurized water from the cannon like openings from his arm. The bullets clipped Largo's arm sending him flying out of the window, shattering the glass. Rex lunged towards the window, almost on all fours to view if Largo had fallen properly. When he got there, Largo had already vanished. Rex sent out a spine tingling roar.

"You promised yourself not to use your trainer skill...?" Romy mentioned.

Rex answered in what appeared to be a grunt before collapsing on the ground. It took all of his willpower to even have control over it for just that moment. No mattered how hard he tried to train it, he could never come to terms with understanding his Keop llisk. Romy smiled knowing that at least he had control enough to save her for that period of time.

"Thank you, Rex..." she rubbed her hand against the hair of her friend.

What was he doing up in this sort of night. Did he receive a phone call much in the way that she did tonight? Fate had dealt a very odd hand in this ordeal. Why wasn't Josh chosen in this strife?

*​
    "Thunderbolt, Raichu."

Lightning danced from the Raichu's cheeks in bolts that streamed towards the enemy before him. The man braced himself for the impact as the thunder struck into his forearms. He skidded backwards for a moment, however he was virtually undamaged. Though the scars were once visibly on the blue skin of the beast, they closed almost soon after. This foe wasn't human and now Lt. Surge knew this too well. He gave a grunt from the back of throat his throat.

"Who are you?"

"You mean something to Josh, correct?" his voice had that hiss to it. Surge found it annoying the moment the first word left his mouth.

"I'm his dad. Why do you ask?"

"Because I'm here to kill you..."

The man lunged towards him with a knife closed tightly with his palm. Surge, the detailed-orientated man that he was, saw the blade to allow him to dodge it quickly. His Raichu attacked the metal knife with a stream of lightning to shock the man's knife from his hand. Surge followed the disarming with an elbow to the man's stomach, causing blood to jut from the man's mouth as he flew backwards. The intruder wiped the blue blood from his mouth. He gave empty stare towards Surge.

"Those eyes..." Lt. Surge clutched fist. "They remind me of that child. Those empty black eyes reminded me of a hawk's—one that flew in the night."

"I don't care who I remind you of, you are going to die here."

The mood in the gym began to change serious as the snapped his back into place. Surge took a step forward. He could see the murderous aura that his intruder was emitting. He could remember the years that his aura was washed in the same materials that made a murder. Those times had changed, yet there were plenty to take his place. While some recovers from their past transgressions, others step forward in progression to this endless chain of law and crime. He pulled out his pokeball. There were no other ways to avoid this.

Fighting this person, with no pokemon or not, was the challenge before him. There were no gym badges at the end of the battle, no smiling faces, and no beginning trainers. This was a battle for his life; one that he was willing to protect. Surge clutched tightly on the dog tag around his neck. "Yuki...I will protect our son." Resolve burned in his eyes now.

"Speak your damn name..." Lt. Surge had reverted from the loving dad back to his war leader, blood was about to be spilled.

"I have no name. I go by the name of Thanatos."

"Do you have any damn pokemon or are you going to risk fighting me like this?"

"You see..." Thanatos pulled the arm of his cloak down to expose his arm. "My body has been enhanced to the point that it is of pokemon's build. I'm not exactly pokemon yet, I CAN DO THINGS LIKE THIS!"

His arm transformed in several tentacle spikes to shot towards Surge. Surge as well Raichu dodged the lances that shot from the man's arm to counterattack with a powerful thunderbolt that trailed down the blue path that was given to them. Thanatos snapped the tentacles away from himself before the lightning could reach his main body. Surge smiled.

"So you're insides are as tough as your out," a slow smile crept up Surge's face.

"How do you think that?"

"Remember that punch. I asked Raichu to charge my gauntlets with electricity. Since they hold electricity for me to use, I can expunge it with my punches. So I know you can die."

"I'll let you try..." Thanatos snapped.

"Pleasure..."

"You are going to wish that you never said that," Surge plucked the rest of his pokeballs from his side as he spoke.

Surge released the rest of his pokemon; Electrode, Magneton, Manectric, and an older Electrabuzz. The four pokemon stood around Lt. Surge proudly. The Raichu and Electrabuzz folded their arms as they studied the person before them. They were two of his two war partners; he had kept a tracking chip around the Electrabuzz's, nicknamed Private Buzzer, neck just in case he needed him again. The pokeon willingly came back to his former master's partner as soon as he told him about the future that Sabrina had foretold. Now this night has come. He had prepared himself.

"Thunderbolt..." Lt. Surge shouted. The order was unanimous. All of his pokemon shot a powerful ray of electricity from their body.

The bolts of lightning corkscrewed together to slam into Thanatos chest. He tried to deter the bolts of lightning with his hands alone, however with the power of five pokemon was becoming evident. He was sent backwards into a ball of electricity into the other side of the gym. Smoke lifted from where he had slammed into the ground. Surge made an advance forward.

"Get the hell up...I know that wasn't enough to kill you. So get the hell up and fight me."

"Here was I here thinking that gym leaders were just trainers that gave out badges. You're the third right. I thought that you would have weaker pokemon to fight with."

"All gym leaders are equal, no matter the order. We are just restricted to use less than powerful pokemon due to regulations."

"I'll keep that in mind."

Thanatos stumbled from the smoke allowing azure blood to drip from his arms and chest. That was definitely a powerful attack to send him reeling. He hadn't truly come to terms with what this body was capable of and much to his dismay; the gym leader he was going against knew his pokemon well. He snickered at the thought of his defeat before cracking his neck to prepare for the rest of the battle.

"Now I won't disappoint. DIE!"

A long lance-like tentacle jetted from Thanatos' arm towards Surge. The army man stared at before catching it with his bare hand. He yanked him towards him to land a powerful combination of punches. His Raichu followed up with a Thunder Punch to the man's face, followed by the Electrode's Sonic Boom to send him into the air. Magneton launched a powerful Thunderbolt along with Manectric's Flamethrower. For the finale, Buzzer jumped on Lt. Surge's shoulder to reach Thanatos to send him plummeting down with a Seismic Toss. It dug his shoulder into Thanatos's chest as is crashed into the ground. It flipped backwards after the conclusion of the attack.

"Nice job, Private..." Surge took some steps forwards to observe the damage.

"You're a good battler...." Thanatos' body contorted sickly as he stood up. Like a contortionist, spinal cord curved inhumanly as he stood to his feet. Blood dripped from every pour of his bluish silvery flesh as he stood in front of the person before him. "You're going to die here, Matis Surge. Devil Relevance..."

The attack was like no other that Surge had seen from him. It was something of a black beam, almost like a thin Hyper Beam's light. It was fast almost, too fast even glare at. Yet the beam had this sense of shimmering darkness as it moved. It twisted through Surge's line of defense like a remote controlled arrow. It would be a directly shot. Yet it wasn't. A body had taken his place. The ink that ran through everyone's veins was now on Surge's face. Though it wasn't neither his nor his pokemons. He watched the body fall. Like slow motion it fell, like rain drops falling from a cloud. Tucker had taken the attack in Surge's stead at the cost of his own life.

Tucker knelt over in pain. The life in his eyes fading with each drop of blood that oozed from his stomach. It was a slow death. The attack attacked the nervous system making the neurons in their body revolt against the body. Surge watched as the sleeps half brother slowly wrapped its arm around his friend's neck.

"I guess...I'm going to die like this after all," a smile appeared on Tucker's blood soaked mouth. "Tell...Luke...I love him and...tell...Josh...to change the world." His final moments began to move too quickly for Surge to comprehend. His eyes began losing their color and that smiles began to lose it form.

Before Surge had the chance to even reconcile with that last wish, he was dead. A moment of silence turned to a year of silence in his head as he watched one of the already few war buddies fade. He could never get used to this. Everything to die in front of him now—first best friends in the war, then his wife, now he painfully watch a post-war friend die. Rage enveloped his soul now.

"Everyone, THUNDER!" Surge's voice bellowed that of a dragon now. The limits that once held him, shattered into broken voice of a lightning wyvern now.

Storm clouds circled the room, masking the entire gym within the shadows. Lightning linked itself from cloud to cloud, forcing Thanatos to take a step back. He prepared himself for an attack yet was stopped by the first Thunder from the Electrode, then Manectric, Magneton, and Electrabuzz followed. The last pokemon to release his Thunder was the Raichu who performed an unparalleled the bolt to knock Thanatos out of the gym. Unlike the Thunderbolts, the Thunder sent him completely crashing through metal walls of the gym. Surge slammed his fist against one of the plates of the gym allowing it to push inward. A large gun emerged from the inner workings of the gym. He was now determined on killing this person. He stepped into the darkness of the night. But, he was gone.

"Electrode, survey the area ..." Surge commanded as he brought the gun to his hip.

The Electrode began reading the waves of the electronic current similar to Josh and Volt's Mantra used at Seafoam Island. After a couple of minutes of meditating, the spherical pokemon shook its entire body back and forth similar to that of when a person shook their head. Thanatos was nowhere to be found. He had left, successfully with a life grasped in his hands. He wished that he could have left with his life within his. Yet that wasn't going to happen. He took Tucker's life. The only thing he could do now is clutch tightly on the gun that was still filled with rounds yet still empty with revenge.

~

The morning felt different—Josh was met with a murky light rained from the bottoms of storm clouds. A bird didn't sing, a cricket didn't chirp, and the wind didn't blow. Only the sound of his alarm clock woke him. It was an uncomfortable way of waking up. He had long expected someone to at least knock on his door to wake him up. He wasn't met with such a luxury. Instead it was that sorrowful light of the sun trying squirm through the caking layers of clouds. It felt unfitting.

He stumbled out of his bed, trying to let his vision cease from the blurring. It took a deep breath as he allowed his bare feet to touch the ground. For a spring morning, it was cold. He found himself shivering. A cold morning had never made him shake, why was this different? Josh took in a deep breath as he began to walk to the door to the bathroom.

His shower was a warm one that in it made the morning different. Only when the water dripped down his body, he noticed that the warmness was rather comforting. It was almost swaying him back to sleep as well as waking him up. He reached towards the shower's handle to turn it with a slight creek. He exited the shower almost humming the melody of the drops of water.

Josh finished his morning routine with clothing himself. He hardly felt like dressing in black right now, it was weird that he even felt anything right now. Yet his hand wavered over a hoodie that Tucker sent over during his time at Sinnoh. He pulled yanked it from the closet and pulled it over his head. It was a white with a yellow symbol of the circle and lightning bolt. It was rather comfortable and still smelled fresh from the store. He tried to crack a smile yet it wouldn't come right now. He sighed as he walked to the door; he was met with the door opening for him. Romy stared at him from the other side of the doorway.

"Romy..." Josh's voice questioned her coming here.

"I have news for you..." she spoke grimly.

"What kind of news?"

"I...I should tell you that I was attacked last night. Rex held them off and is recovering. But is not what I came here to tell you..." Romy's voice fell slowly into despair.

As she mouthed those words, one by one those three words attacked all the walls that Josh built around him. Brick by brick the walls fell into tears, a substance that Josh's thought no longer existed in his world. Everything crashed around him as the tears pelted against his white jacket. His serious expression began shattered like a stained glass being defiled by a child. "Tucker....is dead..." he mouthed the words himself. Even then it felt like it was in slow motion.

"I..." Josh choked. His mind was lost of words; his mouth would not produce them. His face began to flush like all the colors were being absorbed by the thick rays of light.

Everything was coming at him at once. He could feel everything just fall apart one by one; his expression was the first, followed by his stance, followed by his thinking, and finally his very being. Tears streamed down his face involuntarily now. All he could see now is the blurry silhouette of Romy. He could feel his arms shaking, his legs wobbling. Why did it hurt so much? Why did this feel like this now? He fell to his knees. It no longer mattered who saw him. He just needed someone to hold. He needed someone.

"Josh..." Romy murmured sympathetically as she knelt down to him. "Okay its okay...."

"No..." Josh tried to keep his voice from sobbing. "No it's not...."

He was right. No matter how much trying to reconcile the situation, it was still that mosaic piece that formed the tragic scenery before them. A person that Josh had known since birth was dead. The person that was like the uncle to him had left this world. There was nothing that he could do about this. Everything was wrong. Now she could only watch as the person that she once tried to hate, cried on her shoulder.

"I'm sorry..."

"There's nothing to be sorry about..."

"It's my fault. If I hadn't got...." a sob interrupted the train of thought. "If I hadn't been born....he wouldn't be dead. Maybe....I'm the one that deserves to be dead."

"No...no....that's not true."

Josh's tears hadn't stopped leaving tears within Romy's eyes to bear its head. She felt so sorry for him now. The man that she once so no emotions were now pouring his emotions out in waves on her shoulder. She placed her hands on his back trying to stop his jagged breathing. She rubbed trying sooth his thoughts. They were too torrential to sooth. She could only quell the storm that circled around Josh's soul right now.

Confusion and anguish whirled in his head in storms. His sobs just subsided, yet his tears haven't.

"Why...I thought...you thought...I hated you..."

"For a person who is crying, you thought that sentence out," Romy smiled as she ran her fingers through his blonde hair.

"I-I just...."

The sentence oddly failed. His eyes began losing their color and his eyes fell on his eyes like a blanket of snow. The feeling of nausea consumed him now. Everything was losing shape and then color. Before he knew it, he had fainted from his tears--unable to come to terms with all the feeling at once. Romy pitied him. Death, something that he was so used giving, he now couldn't receive. It was sad in all sense of the word.

Author's note: Sorry for the lack of a post last week. I had things to do--World of Warcraft lol--and my various other task involving New Years and such. XD I hope you like it.

Years
  • It was sad how Tucker died. I wish Lt. Surge could've saved him. Thanatos (sp?) got away with it, too. Not good. I look forward to reading the last chapter and Intermission, while waiting for the new part. Keep up the good work, SS.

Sgt Shock

Goldsmith
    Years
  • Chapter 16: The Scars Left Behind

It was now the night before the funeral. Wayne had deemed in necessary for all of Storm Division to actually rest for a while. As a team they had decided to go to the funeral together to reconcile with Josh. Yet they couldn't be with him all night while his tears have stopped. Every night up to this point had been filled with tears and thoughts that he wouldn't normally think. It was times where he would presses that same pistol that he use without hesitation to kill others to his own forehead. Every time the same thought would reach his mind how it would affect other people not just himself. Even now with the barrel to his forehead and just cried as sweat slithered down his face. This was his personal hell. Escaping from it wasn't something he could do. Not this easily.

He threw the gun away from himself, allowing it to land without firing since the lock was still intact. He just sat within the green walls of his room; it almost felt like a different room. It felt like the hospital room in where he saw the news segment with Cyrus. There were no dancing shadows on the wall—the moon was new. Yet the darkness of the room had long replaced those shadows. He was scared for some reason. The next morning he will see the body since the viewing. He could still remember the emotionless body of the friend that he held dear. He brought his knees to his face.

"Master..." Volt voiced lingered in the air as he brought himself out of his pokeball. He has long learned the workings of the ball to do so.

The Electrivire wrapped his larger yellow arms around him allowing his master to fall within them. His eyes show an immense amount of compassion for his master. Yes, he has made some mistakes in his life and some wrong turns. But that didn't change that he was his master. That will never change. He grasped his tighter to his body.

"Humans are very complicated creatures..." the Electrivire cool voice lingered. It had the same valor when he was an Electabuzz yet had the gruffness as a person would expect from a fully evolved pokemon. "You've watched me grow and I've watched you grow. Never once we disagreed on the way that we were growing. I wanted to become stronger and so did you. But this path has sent you to a path that you don't even like yourself. You're blaming yourself for something that is not your fault. You can't change what happen. But you can change the road that you're going down. Did you realize the people that you carelessly taken the lives of may have had people who are suffering like you are now..."

Josh hadn't realized that, that in itself has showed how different they have grown. He was more than sure that he was doing the right thing yet when he boiled it down to its fundamentals, it was wrong. Everything that he knew. Every philosophy that he picked up on the way was as flawed as his logic. He was too immature to interpret his own emotions that he threw them away carelessly. Or so he thought he did.

"Tucker's death isn't something you should blindly search for revenge. Realize your wrong and your emotions are a part of you. Not a distraction," Volt finished his emotional means of talking to just snuggle his master.

"I'm so...stupid..." Josh spoke somberly.

"That you are...." the Electrivire rubbed his head. "But I'm just as stupid..."

"You're so cruel..." Josh hugged him.

"I learn from the best..."

The rest of his pokemon suddenly busted from their pokeball to circle around their trainer. He stared at each of them. Raguel the Staraptor, Xue the Frolass, and Blacktooth the Aerodactyl hovered above him. Helio the Garchomp and Costello watched him slowly from where they were standing. Bradley the Metagross and Rikani the Luxray stood beside him trying to reconcile him as best that they could.

"We are here for you," Raguel stated.

"Don't expect this often from me," Blacktooth roosted on Josh's shouldered as he said this.

"Be strong my child..." Xue rubbed his head.

"You're strong. Don't let this bring you down. You faced all the other problems. Face this one," Costello nodded.

"Now stop y our cry and face this like a man," the female Luxray, Rikani, spat.

"That was mean..." Helio glanced over his large shoulder. Rikani grunted. "Anyway, be strong little one he finished.

"Our master is a confusing one. He push through this," Bradley spoke confidently.

"All of you...are the best pokemon a man could have...."

All eight of the pokemon closed around to collectively give him comfort. A smile finally cut through his emotion. Of course, it still hurt and his heart was still broken. Yet they were mending it slowly with their love. Emotions were a part of life. A part of life that he neglected for so long has finally fallen back into place. It was nice to feel something again. He had to admit, first it sucked. Now, he just wanted to say his last goodbyes to Tucker. He fell asleep peacefully in the arms of his pokemon with the tears finally ending.

*​
    The day of the funeral rain pelted in the same fashion that when he left Kanto a couple of years back. The clouds were gray yet translucent and broken enough for the sun to shine down on the people waves of people dressed in all black. After portions of speaking from various members including Tucker's son, Luke, though bound to a wheel chair he spoke in front of the crowd of people. There were times were Josh found himself staring Luke and his Marowak it reminded him of Tucker to the point that he had to cry from time to time.

"Though I have lost a father this day, the world lost one of its few guiding lights. Others may be born today, while others may die this day. He was a man built on morals and would never forsake them for his cause. He wanted the world until the day he died. Now today, we are past this torch to guide the world on a better path. We lay to rest our hero, our friend, and my father and remember how he changed this world...and how you will."

The young man's eyes began to form streams of tears as he muscled through the last words. The touching words of the broken son were only topped by the final moment. The 21-gun salute was preformed with by lines of Magmortar and Blastoise as well as their trainers. The ashes of the flames and the slight sprinkle of the rain fell over Tucker's casket as they prepared him to place him in the lot. Josh could feel his grip get tighter on his dad's arm. He looked over to him; rubbing is massive hand through Josh's hair.

The placed the white casket down to the depths of the grave. Josh watched it go lower and lower as did his heart when he saw it. He gave his last goodbyes within those faded words to himself. The pain was now settling as the sense of closure finally closed the wound that was in his chest for the past week.

The flowers came next after Tucker was set within the grave and the last prayer over the congregation was given. Surge and Josh held separate flowers; Surge's being red while Josh's were white. They placed the flowers at the same time as they gave the last chapter to a friend that they both had in common. Surge wrapped his arm around his shoulder. "Change this world...Josh," Surge whispered. Those three words began to stir feelings. "Change the world by an example..." that is what Tucker lived by and you should.

Josh put his head against his father's chest. The funeral had given him more than just closure for the dead, but a new purpose of living. He clinched his fist as he walked away from the grave with his father. "The person I am isn't the person I want to be known for. Change for the better." The funeral had come to a conclusion while Josh himself had opened a chapter.

"I'm going to go speak with Luke..." Surge gave the notion with his thumb.

"I have some things I have to mend up...you go ahead."

Surge gave the best smile that he could muster after a funeral before proceeding to Luke on the other side of the graveyard. Rex, Katrine, as well as Romy all dressed in what would be expected of a funeral walked up to Josh.

"Before anyone says anything..." Josh stated. "I want to apologize to each of you for how I was acting..." his voice was calm, serious, and had feeling within it. His words were as warm as the breeze now. Not a single crystal of frost was on his words. Romy ran up to him to hug him. Josh kissed the top of her head.

"You're such a jerk..." Romy muttered.

"Sorry that I've been gone for so long..."

Rex and Katrine had sense enough not to interrupt this moment. They instead patiently watched as the moment came to a finish. The broke the embrace and Josh continued on his way.

"Rex...I'm sorry man. Up until I thought you were just being a jerk..."

"Stop...you thought I WAS the jerk...." Rex was almost stunned. Josh laughed a bit.

"Sorry. I didn't realize that you were actually trying to get through to me and I want to thank you and apologize. You were right and I was wrong...." Josh bowed.

"Man if you don't get up I'm going to club you. I understand and it's cool that I'm going to get know you. I accept your apology...knucklehead," Rex suddenly grabbed Josh's neck to rub his knuckles against his head.

A smile reached Josh's face as he laughed. Rex released him soon after. "You're a really cool kid. Don't lose yourself like that again."

"Sorry you met a bad side of me. You won't see it again. Katrine," he turned to the last person on his list to give his apology to. "You've seen me in my best and worst in the K.R.P.D. You know that I was nothing more than a kid when we meet. Then I thought grew, yet I haven't. I hope you will see me grow more for the better...."

"Awww... apology accepted!" Katrine spoke.

Josh took this time to actually appreciate the friends that stood with his during his darkest hour. The word friend, he thought was nothing more than another word. Love was nothing more than two consonant and two vowels only days ago. Now both words had meaning. He needed people like they needed him. Why were the storm clouds so thick over his eyes before?"

"This is the last day that I will let these black clouds consume me. A new man born today. I will never kill again..."

A unique wind allowed the petals of white flowers from Tucker's grave fluttered in the air. Josh plucked one of the flower petals from the air allowing the still raindrop covered petal to lie in his hand. He clutched the petal allowing the cloud's tears to rub against his hand. He looked up. The sun was now breaking. The first rays of light bathe his face in its luminous gaze. Tucker was watching. He could feel it. For him, he was going to change.

*​
    "Looks like you didn't get your target either..." Largo mocked.

"It hurt him enough. At least I have a body on my belt..." Thanatos stole a glare.

"But the wrong body nevertheless," Largo shrugged. "We are still commissioned to do his D'Angelo's work."

"I'm not involved in any of Team Rocket's work. I'm just doing this for revenge against Josh."

Largo studied Thanatos closely as he said that with a slight smirk on his face. He nodded it off as a bit of a foolish goal before continuing to gaze upon the waves of people exiting the grave site. Unknowing to them, they have been watching the heart-stirring funeral the entire time. They even took the liberty to dress for the occasion even though they were uninvited guest that just observed from afar. Nevertheless their presence was there and they had made an impact.

"How's your other half holding out...?" Thanatos shrugged. He figured he would ask.

"Annoying..." "I am not going to let you get away with this..." Gabriel inserted. "Shut up you!" Largo mentally spat. "Definitely annoying," he spoke aloud.

"That would be unfortunate if he gains control."

"That would never happen," Largo shrugged.

"What two handsome men doing out in the middle of nowhere like this...?"

Both Largo and Thanatos we soon blessed with the presence of a young lady, accompanied by a white Hypno. Her black hair bounced as she descended with the aid of the white umbrella. Her dark skin was contrasted with her white dress. Yet out of all her splendor, she appeared to be dangerous with the shape of a black star on her forehead. Her black eyes studied the two men closely as she closed her umbrella with a snap.

"Mirror White, Rocket Executive..."

"What are you doing here? Did my....that man send you," Thanatos asked.

"No no. I'm just relaying a message. De'Angelo is dead..." she brought the tip of the umbrella to her mouth.

The man that commissioned them together was dead, but the reason was left unknown. Was this young girl the murderer of the scientist? How did she find out? There were many other questions to be answered. She just gave tat child like smile before allowing her arm to rest on her Hypno's head. It seemingly cared not.

"Do you care to prove that...?" Thanatos continued with his barrage of questions. He obviously did not trust her.

"And I thought you would never asked," Mirror remarked snapping her fingers.

A small portion of space beside her began to distort, showing a physically disfigured and dismembered version of De'Angelo. His blood still fresh on his body with his mouth filled with crimson. His eyes were glazed to the back of his head and his silvery hair was wrapped around his neck like a noose. The remaining skin that was on his muscles dangled sickly from his body like it was scratched painfully off of it. It was definitely him. She made sure that his lab coat's name tag was still visible though covered with blood everywhere else. It was probably a cruel death though neither Largo nor Thanatos had sympathy for the man's death. They just needed proof that he was indeed dead. Mirror snapped her fingers to allow the body to disappear back into the dimension in which she brought it.

"Now would you two men do a favor for little old me...?" Mirror spoke with a smile on her face.

"What would that be...?"

"Kill that man..." Until then Mirror's voice was childish and playful, now it was cruel with a snap of finger. She pointed the umbrella towards Josh as he entered into the truck with his father.

"Josh Surge...wasn't Yeshusin interested in him," Thanatos questioned.

"He's too much of a dangerous. Cray is just too blind to see it. Besides, right now...his soul will isn't going to match Yeshusin to even accept him. I want him dead."

"What if we don't accept?" Thanatos took control only to be properly put into place by Largo's hand.

"What's in it...?" Largo asked.

"I can get rid of your other half...Largo," Mirror proposed.

A sharp pain shot through the bounds of Largo's brains as the proposal peaked his interest. Gabriel however wasn't about to have this. He was vigorously trying to gain control of his body only to be shoved effortlessly back into his own mental chains. Largo smiled as the pain in his cerebrum subsided to nothing more than a slight headache that was easily curable with time. He turned to Mirror as the look in his eyes turned to something of agreement, even though he hadn't verbally spoke it yet. She flashed as smile as well.

"You have yourself a deal..." Largo spoke. "How do you plan to disperse such a pest?"

"I figured you would ask that," Mirror mentioned as she twirled the end of her hair.

"You see I have a certain power to control dreams. Dreams are nothing more than the inner workings of the mind. I could easily get that weakness out of you."

"That seems to be the case," Largo bowed. "You have my services."

"What is in it for me, Mirror?"

"I could...kill your father."

"You don't have the power to negotiation at that, Mirror. You can't fool me,"
    Thanatos gave a sharp smile.

"Aww...poo," Mirror spoke in defeat. "You caught me," she waved her finger. "But that doesn't mean I don't have plenty to offer. You can even name your terms if you like."

"I want another piece of Yeshushin..."

"You should have just asked," Mirror seemed to be pleased giving up a portion of the very core being of Team Rocket. "Deal."

"Looks like we are in agreements. But why Josh?"

"He...and his organization came into one of my dreams..." Mirror admitted. "With him around..."

The wind stopped her statement causing white dress to flutter in the wind. She bit the end of her fingertips desperately trying to grasp the words that she needed. Her face contorted in a mad fashion that was very uncommon for a human to even make. Her eyebrows flexed downward while the rest of her face took a mixture between flustered, confused, and slightly insane. She let out a breath of air before continuing despite the winds not halting.

"He's going to become an issue in the future...to put it lightly. But the both of you are not going to let this happen," her face wore that placid smile. "Right?"

"Of course..." Largo chuckled a bit. "That is if you can keep up your side of the bargain, Mrs. White."

"Consider it done," her voice peaked in happiness. "Only after I see Josh's funeral," she spat suddenly. "Tootles. I have things to do...people to see. Somnus."

"Yes Madam..." the Hypno bowed allowing both her and him to teleport in a flurry of white butterflies.

The white butterflies soon dissolved into a white mist that sprinkled over the air. That was the only reminder to the both of them that she was there in the first place. One remaining butterfly drifted into the opening palm of Largo, only to be crushed effortlessly in his grip. Though beautiful, it was crushed effortless in his hands without a single glance.

"When are we going to execute this plan..." Thanatos as Largo crushed butterfly into dust.

"Not now. Neither of us can close in enough and security is going to be tight. Besides, you haven't got full control of your powers yet."

"You don't have full control over your body nor your pokemon..."

Both statements from both of men were true. None of Gabriel's pokemon would listen to a word that Largo spoke and he was still suffering from Gabriel's mental insertions. Thanatos was still struggling to control Yeshusin's cell. Though he was hiding it well, every cell in his body still racked with pain. The pain wasn't something that would quell with time. He needed to learn how this body worked and how it functioned to be at top performance.

"A month or so we will start. I need to...convince...my pokemon that I am the same person."

"I guess I can learn a thing or two about Yeshusin..."

"Why would you bargain another piece if you don't understand it," Largo spat.

"I figured since fiber of my being is telling me to gain more of him, I should listen."

"Maybe you're being controlled..."

"Maybe the same thing could be said for you, Largo," Thanatos mocked.

Largo chose not to pursue that statement and proceeded to jump off building. Perhaps that was the truth. Gabriel wasn't going to give up without a fight. He wouldn't have wanted it any other way. Thanatos gave a low laughter as he followed him down the building.

~​
    It was the day after the funeral, yet some of the images were still fresh in Josh's brain. He wasn't used to feeling anything when he woke up—now he was meant by several emotions. They were more like belated emotions than new ones. All the feelings that he thought was successfully thrown away had been stored in the recesses of his mind, now released with a turn of the valve. He took this time, just sitting in his bed, to realize what had happened. How did I store these feelings for long? Josh questioned as finally removed the sheets from his bed.

Doing this, his eye caught the piles of clothes that was cleverly—or not so cleverly, stuffed in the corner of his room. Last night, after the funeral Josh decided that he never would wear black again. It brought too many memories of Tucker and maybe a change of pace was what he needed. He took a deep breath before turning back to see a mysterious man standing in his room. At first he thought it was him still getting himself together. He rubbed his eyes only to see the man was indeed there.

"Joshua Surge..." the man bellowed.

"Well...this is not creepy at all," Josh reached towards Volt's pokeball realizing how much he missed cracking wise comments.

"Looks like you are getting better I suppose," the man crossed his arms.

"WHO ARE YOU!?!" Josh roared.

"I suppose...introductions are necessary."

Josh gave that, you should have done that in the first place look, before rising properly from his bed. As a precaution, clutched Volt's pokeball prepared the launch it at any time. He took a deep breath the man slid the white hood of the cloak off of his head. An older man, about in his late fifties, was behind those shadows. The man's hair was about shoulder length that was flowed effortless from white to violet. His chin was covered with white hair in the form of a curtain. His skin was almost an inhuman pale, accompanied with crimson color eyes, made him appear more than just a human. Josh could see the tattoos that almost appeared like tiger-stripes on his complexion. For some reason it made him think of a person from biblical times.

"Rainer Thunderscape, I've come to meet you...Josh," the man gave a warm smile. Obviously he wasn't here for an attack, so Josh released Volt's pokeball.

"How did you get in here?"

"I walked..." Rainer shrugged the question off. "More importantly I've noticed your change in Soul Will, my child.

"Uh...Soul Will?"

"Soul Will is the measure of the true desire of a person's heart. Pokemon can normally sense. That is why some pokemon warm up to people faster while others has to be convinced. Of course, being seized from their homes and families has an extensive factor in that as well, but that is not the point at the moment."

"How did you realize my Soul Will changed....? Unless you're..." Josh felt his voice trail.

"I never said I was human, you assumed. But that's not the point that I've come to make, Mr. Surge," he laughed.

Josh studied him closely trying to find what he appeared to be if he wasn't human. He was obviously a pokemon probably a legendary. He gulped lowly realizing that it was indeed a legendary. Was he a legendary beast? He flipped through the confines of his mind to the rug from Haruba Village. Wait...there was one.

"Are you...?" Josh was stopped by a motion from Rainer's hand.

"Yes yes. But we really should wrap this up, I'm on a bit of a schedule," Rainer rubbed his head. Josh gave him the notion to continue and he did. "My brothers and I saved you at Seafoam Island and I was wondering if you could repay that debt."
    "How did you save me?" Josh didn't want to sound ungrateful. But he was curious on how exactly did they save him.

"Miss Rosemary wouldn't have known where you are or how to save you for that matter," Rainer smiled broadly. "We couldn't afford you to die. But we didn't expect how you would react, you left our region...and changed," he took a deep breath.
    "With the black night clouds lifted from your soul, you can effectively help us."

"Do what?"

"Stop Yeshusin and Team Rocket. You will need the help of familiar friends and unexpected allies on your journey to defeat them," Rainer suddenly closed the space between Josh and himself in what appeared to be a teleport. He grasped his hand tightly. "You're more important to this story than you think. You're the wind of change and you have my blessing."

Josh stared at him not completely understanding what he meant by the winds of change or the blessing for that matter. The man just grasped his hand tightly while closing his eyes and murmuring a couple of words from his lips. He released the grasp before allowing Josh to have his space back. He looked from the corner of his eye as his body was turned towards the door. He nodded before opening the door.

"You may be gifted with a skill that has been known for killing people.....but remember, death isn't the only way you can change a person. It may bring about change, but it is not the only way. Remember that."

"You don't have to tell me twice. I won't kill again."

"That's good..."

The click of the door was the only thing Josh heard before bringing up his head to realize that Rainer was gone. What exactly did he do to deserve this? He took some air through his nostrils continuing through the bathroom. The fact that he had come to terms with his emotions did bring back one thing negative, the guilt. No matter which way he cut it. If he was definitely this wind...he would have to lead by example. He would have to become the exact thing that he told Romy only months ago that was completely futile. "I'm a monster...." Josh clinched his hand so tightly that he could hear his knuckles crack and his skin stretch. "How can I be a role model after what I have done?"

"Josh..."

"Volt?"

"There is more than one way to become a role model. One is through achievements while the other is through example. Josh all you have to do is change your ways. You vowed not to kill again then don't. Kill the Raijin name and start anew. This is your chance...don't back down—become."

"
    Thank you Volt..." he spoke staring at his pokeball.

"No...thank you."

~

Author Notes: This is the last chapter of Black Night Clouds and we will be jumping into the third book, On the Wind's Surface. There is an intermission after this that I will give to all of you tomorrow. Thanks for all the support, it has definitely come a long way and I thank all of you.

Sgt Shock

Goldsmith
    Years
  • [FONT=&quot]Intermission: Howling Breeze—Peaceful Winds[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] Josh and Luke McTeer, Tucker's son, had taken the time to help Surge around the Gym. Surge in fact had taken many more trainers than usual to appease the lost of the day for Tucker's funeral. This was the first time that the two had actually had the chance to talk one on one. He was only about the same age as Surge, probably younger so Josh could easily relate to him. During this time, they had become relatively close—almost like siblings to one another. He was calm and logical yet he was caring and warm. Until then, Josh hadn't thought it could be possible. [/FONT]

Luke, confined to a wheelchair due to a landmine (which surprisingly didn't blast his legs off) during the war, was about the same build as Lt. Surge and would probably meet him in height if he was standing. His skin was a tan color that was covered with peach colored scars much in the way Josh's body was. Luke even cracked jokes at Surge several times in the same day that his son had more battle scars than he did which Josh found astoundingly funny. Overall, Luke was someone that he could talk to and he was glad that that they met. Josh ended up telling the brown haired Mohawk soldier almost everything that came to that point.

"Josh..." Luke's voice had the same accent of his father. The British soldier kind of voice, it was a bit more evident in his than his father.

"Yeah..." Josh looked towards him.

"I've heard about your friend..." Luke made emphasis on friend thus meaning probably Romy. Color sucked itself from Josh's face. What was he about to say?

"What about her?" he tried hard to keep his composure.

"I invited her over and I was wondering if you would do something..."

"Do what...?" Josh's face buckled.

"Ask her out," Luke's facial featured lit up. Josh's fell solid.

"What?" he spoke stunned.

"Your dad told me all he knows of what happened up until now and you just filled in the details. From what I can tell..." Luke's blue eyes shifted to Josh. "You love her…"

Before Josh could even speak to this, the door opened allowing the breeze to enter from the outside. Romy, dressed in a white dress, entered into the gym. Her dress fluttered into the wind allowing a very beautiful scene within the doorway. Of course, this scene was completely ruined with Surge's random shouting for the next challenger to enter, but it didn't stop Josh from staring. His face turned red from embarrassment—both the good one and the bad one. She looked around the gym as the now monstrous—slightly insane voice of Lt. Surge rang in the air. She approached Josh and Luke who was against the wall after seeing them. Of course, Luke was the one waving her down like he was helping an air plane to land while Josh retreated almost shyly to the corner.

"Thanks for inviting me, Mr. McTeer," Romy spoke sweetly. She was in a good mood.

"Just call me Luke," Luke smiled. He wheeled backwards for he could nudge Josh forward with his elbow. "Josh has something to tell you. Ask you rather..." he looked to Josh who has become mute during this time. The teenage boy was quivering madly.

"Uh..."

"Yes, Josh," Romy tilted her head. His knees were knocking against each other. Josh had never felt this nervous before.

"I was wondering..." his heart lunged from the bridge of his chest. Why was this so hard? Why can't I speak? "If..." the word fell dead in his mouth. He was now quaking crazily. Luke eyed him with that smirk.

"Say it..." he whispered noticing Romy's attention fading to Surge's battle, Electrabuzz versus Dugtrio. Surge was shouting madly about the type disadvantage.

"Romy...I was wondering if you would..."her attention snapped towards him, Josh's mind went blank. Luke rolled his eyes. "Would you go out with me?"

Romy stepped backwards with her face now assuming the red color that Josh's did earlier. Her heart was now racing along with his as this silence—between them, not the gym. Her breathing became jaded as she took in the thought. How long was she waiting for this? What should she say? What should she do? Everything seemed to be crashing down on her in tons, this time in a positive way, not a negative one. She could feel herself trying to speak the words "Yes" but they wouldn't come out making Josh worried. Instead, she ran into his arms and pressed her face against his chest.

"How long has it been since I've been waiting for this?" she shouted.

"About....9 months...maybe 10," Josh counted off in his head.

"You don't supposed to answer that you," Romy said matter-of-factly.

"I wasn't...." Josh said realizing how stupid he must have sounded.

"I like you better this way," she raised her head to view Josh's face.

"You don't know how much I hated myself, but you stood by me and persisted. I thought that I didn't have love and yet you showed it to me. What kept you believing..."

"Because no matter how cold your glares were...I knew I could endure the blizzard to get to you."

"You will never be out in the cold again—only in my arms."

"That was good..." Luke mentally noted as he stroked his 5 o'clock shadow.

The two was now locked in an embrace; this however distracted Lt. Surge thus causing him to lose his current battle—much to the dismay of his Electrabuzz who fainted to a Magnitude. He glared over to his son and his now girlfriend, a smile crept on his face. Throughout all of the despair that he has went through, he has his smile back. Any father would be happy seeing the smile, once lost in the winds of a storm has found it way home. Though a long road was still far ahead, it was a future worth fighting for.

"Josh..."

"Yes..." Josh replied to her.

"Don't leave."

"I won't. I'll battle for our world. I don't want these hands tainted with blood, I have to used them to hold you," Josh smiled.

"You're amazing..." she closed her eyes.

"No. You are," Josh took a deep breath. "One more thing..."

"What?"

"I want to save people...including Gabriel..."

Romy raised her head confused. The fact that save and Gabriel was wrapped in the same sentence confused her. Why did he need saving? She questioned this to herself. Obviously, it was Josh that knew why. She could see it on his face. Yet she couldn't read the words like coffees spilled on a newspaper. There were words behind it, yet they couldn't be seen. She took the liberty to ask only after she had gathered the appropriate wording.

"Why does he needs saving? All has done is kill people..."

"I have to. Is there much of a difference?" Josh questioned. "I can see a slither of hope within him. I plan to draw it out."

"Then I have no choice to be with you."

If it was one thing that Josh learned in the dark, it was that people has their reasons for the being there. Though they may be fumbling through their own rain-filled clouds, they have their means of escape. Romy, Katrine, and Rex was his light and he wanted Gabriel to see that Jiro and Fleur was his. He wanted to drive Largo out and bring Gabriel end for that change. It wasn't a personal revenge anymore. It was a guiding light.

"You're so noble..."

"I wish I have known that earlier..." Josh meditated on that thought. There was many things that he wanted to take back, now couldn't. He was only lucky that Romy was forgiving enough to look over them.

"Then lets us be that guiding light and let us rid this world of Team Rocket."

"That we shall," Josh nodded.

Romy and Josh sat down side by side, holding hands with her head against his chest. It felt so nice, for the both of them.

~

"Looks like Largo has made an agreement with Team Rocket," Shroud spoke crunching the candy between his teeth. "You know I can't sit back and watch this transpire."

"I'm well aware..." Alice took in a deep breath. "Maybe I was foolish enough to expect that he would be of any use after Largo has been born."

"You're a really bad parent considering you will just throw your child's life away," Shroud turned towards her.

"Is that what you want?" Alice's eyes darted towards him. He smiled.

"I'm doing it for my job. What's your excuse?"

"I consider this a job. I want him dead. I don't want anything to do with him
    anymore," she paused. "I don't have son."

With that she walked off, with her white coat wavering as she walked. She had personally provided L.O.S.T with money just to get rid of Gabriel. To her, he was no longer someone that she had made. He was a monster that needed to be put down like a dog corrupted by rabies or serial killer plagued by insanity. She cursed herself for not coming to this conclusion earlier. It was no way to bring him back. He will just fall deeper and deeper into hell. She couldn't have him ruining everything that she worked years to obtain. Alice brushed her hair from her shoulder.

"I'm expecting you to do your job, Shroud."

"It was nice for you to pay up front..." Shroud cocked an eyebrow as he opened the suitcase. His eyes widen as he viewed amount of money. "Very nice of you," he added. "Ivy, Iris. Could you take this to the backroom?"

The two girls appeared almost out of nowhere to receive the money filled briefcase. They seemed engulfed about the amount of money within the case—making unanimous facial expression of shock. It was indeed something completely different. It was quite easily a sum of 1 million dollar locked tightly with the black leather. It was obvious that she was rather avaricious of her reputation. However, this time it wasn't something for Shroud to gripe about. In fact, he was pleased that a person so consumed with their own image would kill their own son just to keep it. It must be nice to have anything swept under the rug.

"Thanks, Crystal Queen," Shroud said with a smile.

"Get the work done...and you will receive more where that came from. Use any of Crystal International's resources."

"I think we will do well on our own."

"The offer is on the table if it arises," she said as her voice began to fade.

"If I did that..." Shroud's arm became consumed with darkness. "It would be too easy."

Alice gave laughter as she disappeared into the night. Shroud, though an assassin, didn't like the laughter. Though his business was built on these feelings of hate alone, she was like no other client that he have had. Maybe experience was a factor. He closed his eyes. "Alice Kirk....you will do anything for you reputations." He popped another piece of candy within his teeth.

~

It was all black. Why couldn't he see anything? It was like he was drowning within a pool of oil. He could feel the liquid stick to the inside of his throat choking him. Why won't he just die? Was it possible to die within your own mind? It was painful enough. Pain normally meant death. Why was he fighting the pain then if it would futile lead to death? He wanted to cry out to the world. Yet this place wouldn't allow him to die or rather be erased?

"Why can't someone help me..." he thought as he reached for the small pen-line of light raining from the top of the black lake. It was much larger when he had first started to see it. Was it dimming or was he just getting deeper? He didn't know. "I want to be saved...."

Gabriel reached out to the sky, clinching his teeth as he began to fall further within the lake. He was now stripped down to his very soul—he even questioned if that even belonged to him. He could feel his body with in the grasp of the devil so he wondered if his soul was wound tightly in a jar. To think that he had come so far just to fall into darkness this deep, he wanted life to end. He wanted Largo to be gone. He wanted life to be normal. But after all the lives that he had taken, the former would probably happen before the latter. He would have to come to terms with death if that time would ever come.

"I want to live..." Gabriel thought taking another swallow of the darkness.

Even now, all he wanted is spotlight. Yet now he felt them to be unfitting—undeserving. They would just tease him now; like that small light on the surface of this lake was doing to him now. What he believed at one time was his savior had become yet another thing that was within his grasp, but could never touch. If he could differentiate the feel of the water from the feel of his face, he would have known one thing. He was crying and it was nothing that anyone could do about it.

"Why...." he mentally asked himself. "Tell me why I can't escape!" he shouted.

Maybe all of those lives were coming back to haunt him. He deserved this and maybe....he shoved the thought aside as tears mixed in. He could see them. They were like small gems falling from his eyes. They had that sense of vanity as they ascended with the black surface. He envied them. He closed his eyes. There was no difference between the two clouds of darkness.

~​
    Jiro could now feel it. These cries felt all too familiar to him. He was reaching out, trying to work to the pain to contact him. If only he could find a way, a way to bring him back. Yet he was out of his hands. Maybe destiny wasn't going to deal him the hands that he needed for saving his friends. He felt like he was out of opinions. All he could do now is try his best to deal that hand that he had wanted to play himself to another.

"What are we going to do?" Fleur asked.

"We are going to try our best..." Jiro turned to her. "We are going to try our best to help K.R.P.D find Gabriel."

"You have faith in Josh and his group even though they almost killed us," Fleur pulled back the ringlets of her hair from the grasp of the wind.

"Do we have any other choice? I've tried so long..." Jiro took a deep breath. "I want to bring him back."

Fleur reached to Jiro's large hand to grasp it tightly. He looked into his eyes as they almost watered with the passion he held in his soul. The sun that faded behind them emitted an orange light against the grass that they stood. Everything seemed fragile in the sunset. Just like Jiro as the last remaining portion of his friend was ripped away from him—like the wind ripped the blades of grass from their roots. Fleur took a deep breath as she increased her grasp.

"We will get him back," Fleur reassured. "It would be my pleasure to help in anyway."

"What if they kill him...?" Of course that doubt was there.

"It is a choice that they will have to make," Fleur smiled. "Besides, I think you gave Josh a bit of a direction."

The winds began to increase leaving both of them to just listen to the howling. Was it a breeze or was it a gust? It felt gentle yet rough. It continued howling like a wolf. For a moment, the both of them thought that they heard it crying. The wind changed direction allowing it to blow against their face. It was an unusual phenomenon. Yet it felt fitting for a situation.

"It's crying..." Jiro took a step forward.

"It seems like everything resents change," Fleur closed her eyes as she said this.
    "Yet it is just the unknown dimensions of change that scares people not the change itself."

"You think this is for the better."

"If an old friend cannot help, a new ally may," Fleur nodded.

"I hope he makes the right decision..." Jiro took a deep breath.

"All we can do is to give our aide from afar to guide that change."

The sky began to be enveloped in the purple blanket of the night. A couple of stars could now be seen sparkling brilliantly above despite the rays of lights being much strong. Perhaps those starts want a clear look at what would happen next. They too would have to wait for fate to pave its course. This was the first time that impatience ran through Jiro's blood. His free hand rapped against his thigh rapidly.

"Please...just....help him."

~

Author Note: Sorry for the delay. I had school work I had to do the day that I promised this and quite frankly forgot. I hope that it was worth it. Anyway, I will be taking a bit of a break to get cracking on On the Wind's Surface. I have two chapters done and that's way too close to where I am now. Please keep the views and the reviews coming. :)

Years
  • Review of Chapter 16 and the Intermission...

I think you've done an excellent bit of work there, my friend. I loved the description of Raikou's human form. Am I right in guessing that you formed that idea from my own? Anyway, good luck with "On the Wind's Surface"... I got it right that time, didn't I? I just wish I could be as fortunate as you are when it comes to thinking of plots for each of my chapters.

Sgt Shock

Goldsmith
    Years
  • Black Night Clouds, On the Wind's Surface

Chapter 17: Breathing Air, Exhaling Gust

It took weeks after Josh had finished mourning Tucker's death. Like he said before, he could only mourn a death one time—that one time staying in your heart for eternity. He took those days helping his dad around the gym, getting him slightly configured with the massive amount of trainer washing in. During those weeks, Josh had grown his hair out to the length of his back as well as obtained a thick, while rather well groomed, beard. Now those days were gone and he was heading back to the K.R.P.D for the work.

Once steeping foot in Saffron City, the first sight that he saw was the new K.R.P.D center's metal frame. It was obviously going to be twice the size of the previous center since the frame work itself almost was half of the Silph Corporation. They were in fact was the one funding such a project along with Kanto's government. Dallas himself was often seen at the construction site along with Katrine and Wayne who both observed the project closely.
    Josh continued his way through the roads of the city searching for the rendezvous point. Was it the Pokemon Center or the Pokemart? He shuffled through the thoughts of conversion with the young woman early today. He wasn't too sure, but he decided that would be the first place that he would look. If there was a good meeting place, it would be the Pokemon Center. He decided to walk with Rikani and Volt since he was kind of lonely.

"Do either of you remember what she said...?" Josh spoke.

"Nope..." Rikani spoke, hardly caring for the matter.

"You really should listen when people are talking to you," Volt looked from
    the corner of his blind eye so in fact he wasn't looking at him at all.

"Volt?" Josh spoke pathetically.

"She said the pokemon center," Volt shrugged.

"You're such a help," Josh hugged him around his belly.

"It's nice having one of these again..." Volt patted him on his back.

After releasing his embrace on Volt, he continued onward to the Pokemon Center confidently. The group of three took their time however. It was a nice day—the air was warm, the humidity was low, and the wind was blowing. It's been some time since Josh just had a time to himself to respect a day. Everything felt different. It was a good feeling.

"So this is what you were like before you met me," Rikani mention curling her tail.

"Kind of..." Josh spoke.

"Meh. You're good trainer. I suppose that won't change."

"You liked the cold-blooded killer didn't you...?" Josh questioned.

"For the most part, yes. I got to do whatever I want to."

"Like be a savage," Volt added.

"Shut up you!" Rikani shouted.

"You two..." Josh looked to both sides of himself. Was he in different dimension to not notice they bickered so much? "I can assure you, Rikani.
    You will still be able to fight. Just not kill."

"That is half the fun, Josh..." Rikani spoke.

"I can always release you," Josh smiled.

"Nah. I've become attached to your sorry ass," Rikani gave a low growl after that.

"You're such a foul mouth..." Volt sighed.

Josh laughed. Though they were the perfect team when it came to double battles, they often fought. He wondered how he could keep his composure. Volt had developed such a dignified personality almost his soldier while Rikani's personality was nothing more than a street thug. That however made a good complimentary persona. Volt could be conservative while Rikani could be aggressive. He loved both of them nevertheless.

The door of the Pokemon Center slid opened revealing Rex, Katrine, and Romy as well as mysterious fourth person sitting at the table. He took this time to actual observe this person. He almost looked familiar. Josh took this time to compare him to another certain person at the table, eyes sliding back and forth between the enigmatic man and Rex. He realized the similarities between the two despite them appearing none at first. They had round about the same jaw line, some rounded eyes, and the same chin. But they stopped there.

This new person was relatively thinner than Rex in the face and throughout his body. His hair was the silver-blue color that Josh couldn't describe with either of the color choice; despite that, he knew it was a about the same lengths as Rex's but kept a lot cleaner. His eyes held this dark gray color that was similar to that of an ash gray yet it didn't appear to be menacing like the color would suggest—it was like a sterling silver almost. They were sincere, almost like none that Josh had seen. The hair on his chin however was a different color than his hair; it was a dark blue color that covers the entire length from the ear to the chin back to the end. The color of his skin was about the same color as Rex's.

"Look who arrived," Rex's voice almost like he was pleading for help. His breathing was heavy. Was he nervous? The thought stunned Josh for a moment. After the paralysis wore off he approached the table. "This is the Chief of Police from Johto....and my older brother, Terrance Cordell," Rex introduced.

Josh and Volt formed something of a shocked expression in unison causing Romy and Katrine to laugh. Josh extended his hand allowing the man to grasp it tightly. It was a bit of a habit for Josh to assess a person by their handshakes—yet another trait he inherited from his father. It was stern yet it held some looseness. Terrance gave a smile. It was like humility within an expression. It was something to envy.

"Hello, Mr. Surge," he released the grasp. His voice made Josh wonder if they were even related. His voice was serene, leveled, and of a medium pitch--it almost sound like a teenager despite being older than Rex. "Like my brother said I am the Chief of Police at J.R.P.D."

It took Josh to notice the difference between the Chief that stood in front of him and the two chiefs he had come in contact with. Wayne of course was the very reckless, gruff, and lay back individual and Fuya...well Fuya was just demanding, cold, and distant. Josh guessed there was at least one positive Chief.

"Please to meet you. You're much different than two Chiefs that I've met."

"Not really..." Terrance spoke modestly.

"Yeah you are," Katrine admitted. She has met all four so this wasn't her first meeting with Terrence, she knew one too well.

Terrance laughed before taking a sip of his bottle water. He cleared his throat.

"What brings you here," Josh asked finally taking his seat. Volt and Rikani took their place beside him as well.

"I've come to warn you all about some things. So, thought the first place I would go is to see my brother," Terrance looked at Rex who seemed to shove his brother's glance back in his face.

"It seems like your brother has problems with you..." Josh mentioned because it was obviously wasn't the other way.

"Hm...." Terrance looked towards him. "We...ours...." he stumbled over his words.

"Our past is complicated...." Rex used a very low to the floor voice with that. It was weird.

"Do mind if we talked for a moment, Rex?" Josh mentioned suddenly.

"Sure," Rex grumbled as he stood up.

The two men soon arose from the table. Josh dragged Rex to the side to allow them to own the only possible privacy within this very active building. Josh fixated his eyes towards his friend folding his arm.

"You're not acting normal," Josh slammed his palm against the wall to make his point. Rex sighed.

"I guess it wouldn't be fair if didn't tell you. He stole my dream..."

"Your dream?"

"He stole what I wanted to become and I can't help but get all jealous when I see him. He's much better than I am," Rex eyed his brother talking to Romy and Katrine at the table. "I haven't forgiven him."

"Is he should you forgive?" Josh smiled. "You persuaded me to think clearly with emotions."

Josh left with that successfully conveyed he's feelings towards the matter he returned back to the table with the rest of the group. Rex stared at him for a little while impressed. "Looks like I'm going to like the new Josh..." he thought as he continued back to the table.

"So there have been attacks on the Chiefs..." Romy relayed the last part of the conversion.

"Yes. Fuya and Oberon as well as I have had threats on our lives. None of us was seriously injured."

"So you suspect my dad is going to be the next target," Katrine spoke after a gasp.

"More than sure," Terrance's voice even sounded sure. "Team Rocket has made their move in the other two regions and spreading in ours. It's more of a hazard now."

"Who is it attack exactly," Josh asked. "I hope they're not that dumb to use Grunts or regular commanders on the top people of the police force."

"No..." Terrance shook his head. "They are using executives. I had a bit of a tough scrimmage with them before he retreated..."

"My my..."

Josh muttered to himself for a couple of moments trying to grasp the intensity of the situation. Why would anyone attack the top members of International Police without expecting security beefed? The fact that a gym leader as attacked should have gave them the notion that security will be high. Either they were really stupid or they had a plan. Even if they had a plan, it wouldn't yield good results. He sighed with nothing coming to mind.

"Everyone, be on high security..." Terrance warned. "I'll stay around Wayne in case things get heated."

"In the mean time, we can find the rest of the criminals on the list that Dallas created for us," Romy manifested those papers from her bag. "A man that goes by the name of Dice is in the area. He has strong financial ties to Team Rocket by the information that we was given. He was last seen trying to cross the border to Johto."

"He wouldn't make it far. The government has issued a warning in the Johto area to inspect all background information of people cross through Thojo Falls. So it's he's probably turning back."

"Katrine..." Romy looked towards her.

"On it..."

She pulled the Pokevoyace from her bag and pressed the button combinations to allow the holographic map to appear once more. There were indeed a couple of bleeps on the map. Dice was probably not the only criminal in the area, but the outburst was insane amount. What was this Team Rocket's doing?

"It's insane...."

"That's exactly what happened at our region before the attack..." Terrance mentioned. "They must have paid them to thin our forces..." he took in the situation. "My unit will protect Wayne...considering he does need that much protection. The four of you--"

"That's S.D.C!" Rex shouted.

"S.D.C," he spoke with a smile. "Handle Dice and his goons. He is the highest priority...."

"Yessir." "Yes" Sure" Josh, Romy, and Katrine agreed. Rex just remained quiet.

"I think we should leave them alone..." Romy whispered in Josh's ear.

"Let's..."

Romy whispered the same thing to Katrine. She smiles broadly giving thumbs up. Obviously she had a plan,that scared both of them.

"Hey Josh and Romy! Wayne wants to see you..."

"What about me," Rex's brow folded.

"Oh it will be quick. We will be right back!" Katrine said grabbing Josh's and Katrine's arm.

The three left the pokemon center allowing the two brothers alone with Josh's two pokemon still lying beside the table. There was silence and a certain tense between them. It was more heavily asserted from Rex to Terrance than Terrance to Rex. Yet it was obvious too that Terrance had something to say.

"It's summer time. Why are you wearing a long sleeved shirt, Terrance...?" Rex asked.

"I like long sleeved shirts," Terrance smiled.

"I always could tell when you were lying. You're trying not to make me jealous."

Terrance fell into silence. He straightens the wrinkles of his long sleeves gray shirt before speaking again. The sleeves ended about at his knuckles, allowing much of his hand not to be shown.

"I'm sorry."

"That's exactly what you said...three years ago," Rex clinched his hand. Terrance shifted uncomfortably.

"I never meant to hurt you..." Terrance sighed. "That's why I didn't want the job."

"But you accepted it..."

"Only after you didn't accept my offer to give it to you..."

"What if I wanted to earn it, Terrance?" Rex was shouting now. "Not handed to me like you always do!"

"You act like I want to be in the limelight all the time, Terry," Terrance's voice was slightly raised but not shouting.

"But, guess what, always are. Dad always liked you and Mom always praised you. I was just the knock off little brother that no one understood."

"That's not true at all and you know it, Terry."

"Stop belittling me."

"I'm not!"

"Yet you put that fake smile on just like dad did when got arrested!"

There was a long silence within the Pokemon Center, everyone that was in attendance observed the fragmented air between the two men. There was no difference between the breaths of the two men and the wind whistling outside—both held intensity. Terrance's face had collapse to nothing more than shattered mess while Rex just looked down into the surface of the table. Everything had stopped—the hour hand, the minute hand, the second hand, the doors, the music—everything.

"It still hurts...doesn't it....?" Terrance spoke lowly. "You would have said it if you did..."

"One moment...Terrance...." Rex took a deep breath. "EVERYBODY MIND YOUR OWN DAMN BUSINESS!" he shouted. Sweat dripped from the side of Terrance's face as the Pokemon Center became engulfed with activity again. "Resume..."

"You're often comparing me to Dad. I thought you forgiven him for he has done."

"I have...or I thought I have. It's kind of hard to..."

It was many years back from the incident. It was during the downfall of Cianwood City where everyone was almost at wits in of surviving. An inner strife within Johto region had forced many of the people to fight against one another and the regions was almost at the brink of destruction. During this time, everything within their family was falling apart and people looked for people to blame. Neighbors fought neighbors and friends fought friends. Things were tough under the blood tainted skies. Everything was in peril but their family was together consisting of a fisherman, a housewife, and their two children.

As the Civil war raged on, their closely knitted family began losing everything one by one. First it was money, their father could no longer support the family. Then the food, it began to become scarce. Then came the fallout. Their father being the mayor of Cianwood began to steal money from the government. At first it was small, then it became large enough for the people to noticed. Before they knew it—their father who was once an esteemed member of the community-- was carried off in handcuffs for several major counts of embezzlement. This left the family broken. Rex could never trust his father while Terrance understood it was for the family. Yet his father gave them that line...to never give up their smile. It was harder said than done.

"Dad did that for our well-being...even if..."

"He ruined our name. He knew my dream and so did you," Rex mentioned.
    "I'll quit right now if you want me to, Terry," Terrance spoke.

"No...Maybe you are better off for the job than me, Terrance," Rex stood up.

"Don't be ridiculous," Terrance closed his eyes. "You're much better with people than I am."

"Let's go you two," Rex caught the attention of both of the pokemon who had been watching carefully as the conversion unfolded.

Rex chose not to speak leaving Terrance alone within the Pokemon Center. Terrance took a deep breath as the doors of the Center slid open.

"You always will be better than me," Rex spoke with the last words coming out of his mouth. He left.

"Yet I'm always the one that is jealous of you...." Terrance spoke to himself.

"How did it go..." Josh look towards Rikani and Volt.

"It was...a learning experience."

"It was freakin' intense!" Rikani shouted deciphering Volt's code.

"Fill me in later, 'kay guys."

"Yes sir." "Yeah sure."

Josh returned both of the pokemon to their balls before continuing onward through Saffron City. Romy and Katrine was basically interrogating Rex on what happened whilst Josh decided to respect his privacy for the most part. Besides they were on a mission and Josh had a bit on his plate. He held Romy's hand tightly as she continued with her barrage of questions with Katrine as her cosigner. In the end, was a very secretive Rex who didn't murmur a word about the conversation had gone.

"Give the man a break," Josh shrugged. At least he could hear it from his pokemon.

"It's..." Rex's eyes shifted. "It's about that..."

Romy stopped her sentence. She knew what that is about. She shot a sharp gaze at Katrine to tell her to stop as Rex continued onward through the path. It was very unusual for him to act like this and she should have figured what this was about. She felt guilty for badgering him while Katrine just looked on slightly confused on the matter at hand. She waited until he got a bit farther away to speak.

"It's about the Chief selection three years back..." Romy mentioned.

"You mean after Chief Eldridge died..." Katrine's eyes became concerned.

"Actually...it was before Chief died. Eldridge hand-chose the next Chief on his death bed..." Romy tried recollect the idea from her head that he told her months back during Josh's absence. "It's always been Rex's dream to become the Chief of Police..."

"Really," Josh questioned the holder of his hand.

"You don't even know how much he wanted the job. It was his dreams since he was a small child especially about the Johto Region War when he was younger."

"So he trained himself to be a Chief..."

"Have you ever wondered...why he is paid so highly?" Romy asked.

Josh stroked his chin, matter of fact, he did wonder that? "Yeah..."

"He's our best mind..."

Josh and Katrine gave that shocked expression that could be only seeing in an animated world. Romy laughed coolly as the two kind of froze from the amount of shock that swelled. At once Josh thought he was going to hyper ventilate but quickly shook the feeling off. "Say what?" Josh said to himself. He didn't consider Rex as an unintelligent individual; however, the best in the K.R.P.D was a bit to take in.

"Excuse me..." Katrine pondered. "Why wasn't I informed of his intelligence?"

"Well...it isn't something that he likes to boast about," Romy said sighing. "He was the top of his class and probably the best battler that we have. I didn't hand chose him as my 3rd in command for no apparent reason. He certainly deserves being the Chief. His only flaw is that his personality is a bit offsetting if you don't him well," Romy smiled. "He is the cream of the crop and the best of the best..."

If there was one thing that would collapse his mind, this was probably it. He guessed that there were more to Rex that met the eyes as all creatures. Getting to know yourself and other people was the sheer fact of life. He smiled. "Maybe there is an outlook for anything and anybody..." Josh dually noted.

"Let's catch up with him," Josh smiled.

"Yeah let's," Romy agreed.

"LUNCH TIME," Katrine piped up exasperatedly.

"Should we invite, Terrance?"

"I don't see..." Josh thought about that for a while. Maybe it was the best for them to actually be separated for a while to cool off. But, it would seem rude if they didn't ask. "Let's ask him."

"I'll do it," Katrine mentioned.

"Meet us at the PokeCove," Romy smiled. That was probably where Rex was. It was his favorite food place.

"Gotcha," Katrine gave a thumb up before turning back the PokeCenter.

Katrine ran off, not before seeing a glimpse of Romy's and Josh's kiss. Katrine moved the hair from her face as she examined the two. It was indeed quite the scene—obviously they thought that they were alone. She giggled. "It's nice seeing them together." The smile inched up her face before she returned to the Pokemon Center.

"What do you think I was STUPID?"

Rex snagged the end of sandwich vigorously, tearing the honey wheat into his mouth. He was obviously still pretty livid about his brother. Josh and Romy kind of stared down the amount of food on Rex's plate as they sat down across from him. He stared at Josh as he viciously ripped the end of the subs. It suddenly hit Josh how intimidating Rex could be. His arms were huge that could rip his head from his shoulder. Why wasn't he scared he scared of him again?

"We didn't think you were stupid..." Josh propositioned. "We just thought..."

"I was dumb," Rex finished as he stuffed the rest of the sandwich—almost half—down his throat. Josh cringed slightly.

"Uh..." his mind went blank.

"Josh..." Romy whispered. "When he's angry, he can eat like that...mostly due to his trainer skill. So stay on your toes."

Josh just nodded as Rex quickly ensnared the slab of steak within his teeth. He tore through it without the use of steak knife before continuing to the various other items on the plate. Was he imagining that this food was Terrance? If so, Josh felt sorry for the Chief. He hung his head as the waitress appeared out of nowhere with yet another plate of food for Rex as well as Josh's and Romy's plate. The young waiteress—a woman with deep black hair was the person to serve them. Ambidextrously, she placed the three plates in front of their respective buyers bowing.

"Thanks for the coming to Pokecove," the young woman with darker skin bowed.

"We are going to have one or two more coming..."

The door of the restaurant swung revealing the ever so bouncy Katrine alone. Josh felt relieved for some reason. The sight of Terrance might have made Rex physically explode. He shook the thought away while he waved Katrine on to the table. She cleverly evaded many of the people before sitting in the stall beside Rex.

"What would you have to drink," the waitress brought out a pad.

"Chocolate Milk please!" Katrine put arms up.

"I thought I was the only one that ordered that here," the waitress spoke with a smile. "What do you want to eat?" she handed her a large menu only for her to shake her head.

"I know what I want," Katrine bounced up and down. "I want a Fried Chicken Cordon Bleu on wheat bread, everything on it." Katrine made the order with a smile. The waitress in turn scribbled it down on her pad.

"It will be a couple of minutes," the waitress smiled.

"Alright."

The waitress nodded before disappearing within the crowds of the Pokecove. Katrine repositioned herself in the stall. Josh and Romy expected Katrine to actually tell them why Terrance wasn't, but was only met with silence. She stole a couple of French Fries from Rex's plate. He stared at her menacingly yet she didn't seem to mind. She even stole some more fries before actually speaking. Rex grunted lowly as he snapped another piece of a different sandwich in his mouth.

"Where's Terrance?" Josh found himself asking.

"Oh. He said he wasn't hungry. I think he wanted to give Rex some space," Katrine said reaching for Rex's plate.

"You can have some of mine," Josh offered taking Katrine's hand away from Rex's plate. Romy sighed in relief. Rex looked like he was about to explode.

"Thanks!" Katrine said as she helped herself to a hand full of Josh's fries. She downed them down quickly before continuing the conversation. "Rex!" She hugged him around the neck. "You're so quiet. What's wrong?"

Josh and Romy shared a look, a fearful gaze between each other. What would she say next? They both of them panicked as they figured it was going to be something to set Rex off the edge. They braced themselves for the upcoming storm.

"I heard that you were good at chess!" Katrine said happily.

Rex stopped his bite of food before continuing onward. He exactly cracked a smile when he heard about it. He took a deep breath allowing the food to actually settle.

"DAMN RIGHT I AM," he shouted suddenly, not to mention proudly.

"Let's see how good you are?" Josh said as he finished his food.

"I'm warning you. I'm good."

"Let's see about that."

~

Author's Notes: I am sorry for the late post. I've been on hiatus to give myself sometime to think the storyline over. I hope that it lived up to the wait.

Years
  • This chapter has undoubtedly started a new leaf for Josh and his companions. I particularly liked the part where Rikani said to Josh that she was "attached to his sorry arse." That made me laugh, as I thought back to the former Rikani who used to kill because she was "allowed to do whatever she wanted".

I like Rikani very much, but am just wondering when you're going to put in a description of her. Because in her first appearance, there was no description...

Sgt Shock

Goldsmith
    Years
  • Chapter 18: Reflection against a Dark Plane

"Do you have a moment?" a middle aged man whispered from the other side of the bar counter.

"I can spare one," the waiter, a young lady with dark colored hair spoke as she grabbed a small glass.

"I don't want to interrupt or anything, Mina. You are on the job and..."

"Just sit down and speak to me. I'm used to juggling more than one thing at once."
    Ironically, Mina was holding three glasses and two plates as she said it making the middle aged blonde man to give a light laugh. She managed to easily place down the various items before taking a seat on the opposite side of the counter upon a dark colored stool. She linked her fingers together while pressing her chin upon where all the knuckles met. This was the usual indication that you obtained her full attention, a luxury as well as a rarity among things. She flashed almost seemingly perfect smile as the man open his lips.

"Would you mind getting me a cherry pie," the man spoke suddenly. Mina's face buckled.

"I thought you were here because something important happened."

Almost depressed on the lack of information, Mina pulled the small glass container from where the cherry pie laid. She carefully pulled the white china from the glass before placing the lid back on the table. She gave herself a mental note to tell the baker to whip up another one before returning to her seat across from her acquaintance. Almost impatient on the man's slow reaction time, she pushed the plate over along with a fork without him even asking.
    "I thought you were coming here for..." Mina's voice faded, strains of her hair covering her left eye.

"We have been assigned to a mission," the man spoke forking the delicately made cherry pie; Mina's expression to this almost made pure light with this revelation.

"Are you serious, Jeddy?" she spoke exasperatedly arising from her chair and leaning over the counter.

"It's Jedrick," the man spoke with smile rivaling that of Mina's. "And yes, I am definitely serious."

"WHAT IS IT!?!" this came out a shrill instead of her voice. It caused a very uncomfortable scene within the PokeCove. She smiled it off like she didn't sound completely crazy at all.

"It is..." Jedrick spoke as he wiped the beads of sweat from his freckled cheeks. "Our mission is like all our other colleagues."

It took a while for Mina' to accurately transfer the information in her head. After what felt like minutes, which was promptly used by Jedrick to consume the rest of the pie, she gave that "oooooh" expression a person gets when an idea struck them. He nodded his head slowly.

"We better not fail like the others," Mina spoke gingerly.

"Of course, but unlike the others I don't think we should attack them directly. K.R.P.D is on pretty alert right now," Jedrick spoke. "Who wouldn't be," he spoke coolly.

"I'm aware of that. Besides, I have a pretty interest in a certain K.R.P.D officer beforehand. I'm just hoping my little bait would be enough to snag such bait."

Mina began to twirl her hair almost with a bit of flirtation mixed within. She was obviously thinking of something pretty nasty with her face contorting into a rather mad expression. Only Jedrick could read them since the expressions were normally masked behind the innocence of the woman's face. The woman like himself was a Rocket Executive—not like any Rocket Executive that would be mediocre trainers, they were the best with skills to match. It was only time before they made their move and the time was now.

"So...what are we planning," she spoke as her eyes darted towards him.

"It seems like you have it out on someone. Why not wait to see how that pans out first?"

"Oh you're so smart, JEDDY!" she rubbed his shaggy blonde hair so much almost like static trailed her fingertips.

"So we are waiting until then when the little badgers are away," Jedrick spoke looking away.

"Sure. You should be getting back to the docks now. I know your break is far over."

"He he....you're right," Jedrick spoke as he readjusted his suspenders.

"Aw, you just look so cute in those suspenders!"

"Not as cute as you in that waiter suit," he smiled.

The both of them shared a chuckle before Jedrick went on his way. Mina's hair drooped almost in a wave as she stared off into space. There were more than one side of Mina like there is to everyone yet hers held a dark reflection within a light surface—like a darkened mirror that casted no reflection visibly. With a smile edged into her face, she turned away to continue with her work.

~

Standing idly into the pane of the glass windows, Josh's eyes peers through the translucent surface into the deep blue sky above. From the angle, he appeared like a battle-scarred monk with his softened features against the heavily marked face. His blue eyes always reflected that inner sadness, however peace now. That bleached smile, that calm demeanor, and that glow in his shattered soul—all written on his face. He had made a habit of wearing dark goggles like his father would wear sunglasses both for the same reason; they didn't want people to see that sadness.

Katrine approached him slowly as she clutched tightly to a cup of strawberry milk. This felt like the perfect time to speak to her about some of the sadness that she was feeling—images that she pushed aside. She tugged on the back of white hoodie that he was wearing causing the shimmering blue-green iris to view her. He formed a smile, a weak one but a smile nevertheless.

"Yes..." his voice had assumed this very dreamy yet stern paradox from his mouth.

"Josh...how do you do it?" Katrine's light brown hair swayed in front of her eyes. "How do you deal with the pain of seeing so many people dead?"

Katrine went on explaining those nightmares about that night as well as her own terrors with Gabriel and Largo. Though his eyes were closed, Josh seemed to be absorbing the information through his mind's eye. The blood, the fear she felt, the look in his eyes, the death that he brought—all was reacted into her head in this dream. She would then wake in this cold sweat with warm tears. She tried to tried to hide them with her smiles yet they didn't seem to fill the void like the normally did.

After explaining her troubles, there was handcrafted silence between them. Josh's features, which now looked rather different with his beard and back length hair, was shaped into this very concerned expression. He swept back his hair as he sat within the concaved area within the window's pane. He put his knee against the wall before taking in a deep breath allowing them to fill with fresh area. For some reason, Katrine felt like something wise is going to be said from his mouth. She was right.

"It's better to have nightmares about it than not to. Days after...I was not fazed by such bloodshed. You hid your pain behind your smiles, Rex with his anger, and Romy with her calmness. I felt apathy. It didn't bother me in the inside like the rest of you. I realized how envious I was now. You felt the pain of all those people, torn from their very lives at the hands of a beast and I didn't."

"Why would you want to feel pain?" Katrine found herself asking.

"Feeling pain is a part of being human. I wanted to feel like I was human again," Josh's warm smile behind that shaggy blonde hair almost made Katrine blush. "That pain will probably never leave you," he spoke as he arose from the window pane. "And don't let it until we avenge those people."

"Do you plan to..." she couldn't bring herself to use the word 'kill' but it was the only thing that could fit in the blank. "What do you plan to do with Gabriel?"

"Are you suspecting that I plan to kill him after I vowed I would never kill again? Katrine..." Josh's voice fell hollow. "I will never kill again," he repeated. "No matter the person's sins or what he have done, I will not kill. However..."

Josh began to roll up the sleeves of the hoodie, revealing scars amongst scars until a stream of black ink appeared. The blank ink formed words. These words were the vow of the Sinnoh Region Police Department. "I will not show mercy." Katrine could feel her heart skip a beat. Why was it so hard to look it?

"Do Romy...?" Katrine was about to ask yet the answer was obvious.

"Yes. She does. I vowed that I will not show mercy and I won't. It doesn't mean I have to kill yet he will feel the pain of the people that was lost in his strife for blood and sanity. I need everyone behind me...that includes you Katrine. So don't give up."

With those words, he was gone. Don't give up; she repeated those words to herself. Only one other person said that to her. That person...she meditated on that. A smile appeared on her face as she brought the room temperature milk to her lips. That person was her mother.

~

"Rex is something wrong...."

Aegir, Rex's Feraligatr, folded its muscled blue arms as it glared within its master wavering gazes. He knew him well enough to know that something was breaking him down slowly. The alligator could see the thoughts slowly poisoning his master's thoughts. He had to watch his master slowly self-destruct. He always seemed angry and often bottled it up into this small glass container that had now begun to crack down the side. Rex was falling apart deeply in the inside with his brother being around; Aegir knew that.

"You're pretending that it's alright, Rex. It's not...." Aegir warned.

"You act like...it's easy..." Rex reached for his beer. For some reason, Aegir sent an imposing glare towards his master.

"You're falling apart. Look at you," Aegir snapped. "You have ever potential to be one of the best officers in K.R.P.D with your mind and your brawn. You refuse to use either at times. What has gotten into you," the alligator scorned.

"Why are you down my damn back so suddenly!?!"

"Only because your friends are going to need you more than ever, Rex, they are going to need you. Not this…" Aegir paused.

This was a forced silence between the pokemon and his master. It didn't belong yet it needed to be there. Both of their breathing was becoming jagged like they were torn by the rib cage before they could reach the lungs. Rex hadn't noticed how deep he had fallen. The drinking only started when he lost everything, his health was the next to fall. Aegir had to painfully watch this—all of his Pokemon had to.

"I lost everything that day and I can't help, but feel angry at everything now."

"Just because you didn't obtain what you wanted at first, you are willing to give up your resolve. You have forgotten what means most to you."

"I haven't..." Rex clutched his hand tightly.

Rex struggled with this thought. Quite technically, yes, he had given it up; it was no longer obtainable. It felt so distant now like a fading light of the setting sun. Every day he thought about that past—about the dream that he lost to his older brother. It was tearing him apart, no matter how hard he tried to forget about the pain--drown it within his alcohol—it wouldn't disappear. Thus, leaving the broken man that lived life as though he didn't care about what happened. Nothing more than a shell that tried to pretend everything was okay when it wasn't.

"You need to stop, Terry...." it was the first time Aegir had ever called him as such.

"I..." Rex's voice fell within his own throat. "I really want to."

Until then...Aegir hadn't noticed that Rex was crying.

~~

Author Notes:I'M BACKKKKKKK! Sorry guys for the wait I've been real busy with school work and chilling. Now I'm back to where I belong and that is my fan fiction here at Pokecommunity.

In this chapter you definitely seen a bit of Rex's character that you haven't before. All this time, you probably thought he was a fluff kind of character just there for comic relief--yet he has his own problems as does Katrine, Romy, and of course Josh. :) Stay tuned in for how his character develops even more. :)

See ya guys in a few. Hopefully I can get Chapter 19 up. :)

Last edited:

Dagzar

The Dreamer
    Years
  • Hi, it's review time! Red highlights are mistakes I corrected and green highlights are thinks I want to talk about. Now, I can't comment on the plot or anything since I skipped up to chapter eighteen, but I can focus on grammar, so that's what I'll be doing.

"Do you have a moment?" a middle aged man whispered from the other side of the bar counter.
    "Just sit down and speak to me. I'm used to juggling more than one thing at once."
    -
    Ironically, Mina was holding three glasses and two plates as she said it making the middle aged blonde man to give a light laugh. She managed to easily place down the various items before taking a seat on the opposite side of the counter upon a dark colored stool. She linked her fingers together while pressing her chin upon where all the knuckles met. This was the usual indication that you obtained her full attention, a luxury as well as a rarity among things. She flashed almost seemingly perfect smile as the man opened his lips.
    "I thought you were coming here for..." Mina's voice faded, strands of her hair covering her left eye.

"We have been assigned to a mission," the man spoke, forking the delicately made cherry pie; Mina's expression to this almost made pure light with this revelation.

"Are you serious, Jeddy?" she spoke exasperatedly, arising from her chair and leaning over the counter.
    "WHAT IS IT!?" this came out a shrill instead of her voice. It caused a very uncomfortable scene within the PokeCove. She smiled it off like she didn't sound completely crazy at all.
    That makes no sense. And you only need to use one set of '!?', there's no need for a second exclamation point or anything else.

It took a while for Mina to accurately transfer the information in her head. After what felt like minutes, which was promptly used by Jedrick to consume the rest of the pie, she gave that "oooooh" expression a person gets when an idea struck them. He nodded his head slowly.
    "I'm aware of that. Besides, I have a pretty interest in a certain K.R.P.D officer beforehand. I'm just hoping my little bait would be enough to snag such bait."
    I'm probably just nitpicking, but using 'pretty' in that type of sentence seems odd to me. Also, I'm not sure what's going on with that bait thing, you need to replace one of them with something else.

Mina began to twirl her hair almost with a bit of flirtation mixed within. She was obviously thinking of something pretty nasty with her face contorting into a rather mad expression. Only Jedrick could read them since the expressions were normally masked behind the innocence of the woman's face. The woman, like himself, was a Rocket Executive—not like any Rocket Executive that would be mediocre trainers; they were the best with skills to match. It was only time before they made their move and the time was now.
    Now, I'm questioning my changing of that green comma to a semicolon, but with a comma, it sounds like you're referring to the mediocre trainers as the best, which obviously isn't what you're going for.

"Oh you're so smart, JEDDY!" she rubbed his shaggy blonde hair so much almost like static trailed her fingertips.
    That's not needed. Replace it with 'that' or with a comma (and alter the 'trailed').

"So we are waiting until then, when the little badgers are away," Jedrick spoke looking away.
    "Not as cute as you in that waiter suit." He smiled.
    The both of them shared a chuckle before Jedrick went on his way. Mina's hair drooped almost in a wave as she stared off into space. There were more than one side of Mina like there is to everyone, yet hers held a dark reflection within a light surface—like a darkened mirror that casted no reflection visibly. With a smile etched into her face, she turned away to continue with her work.
    Staring idly into the pane of the glass windows, Josh's eyes peered through the translucent surface into the deep blue sky above. From that angle, he appeared like a battle-scarred monk with his softened features against the heavily marked face. His blue eyes always reflected that inner sadness, however peace now. That bleached smile, that calm demeanor, and that glow in his shattered soul—all written on his face. He had made a habit of wearing dark goggles like his father would wear sunglasses both for the same reason; they didn't want people to see that sadness.
    You're missing a word here… or something.

Katrine approached him slowly as she clutched tightly to a cup of strawberry milk. This felt like the perfect time to speak to her about some of the sadness that she was feeling—images that she pushed aside. She tugged on the back of white hoodie that he was wearing causing the shimmering blue-green iris to view her. He formed a smile, a weak one but a smile nevertheless.
    Nothing grammar-ly bad here, but it's kind of confusing. I can't tell if you've suddenly switched point-of-view or Josh is reading her thoughts or something.

"Yes..." his voice had assumed this very dreamy yet stern paradox from his mouth.

"Josh... How do you do it?" Katrine's light brown hair swayed in front of her eyes. "How do you deal with the pain of seeing so many people dead?"

Katrine went on explaining those nightmares about that night as well as her own terrors with Gabriel and Largo. Though his eyes were closed, Josh seemed to be absorbing the information through his mind's eye. The blood, the fear she felt, the look in his eyes, the death that he brought—all was reacted into her head in this dream. She would then wake in this cold sweat with warm tears. She tried to tried to hide them with her smiles yet they didn't seem to fill the void like they normally did.
    Unneeded word.

After explaining her troubles, there was handcrafted silence between them. Josh's features, which now looked rather different with his beard and back length hair, was shaped into this very concerned expression. He swept back his hair as he sat within the concaved area within the window's pane. He put his knee against the wall before taking in a deep breath allowing them to fill with fresh area. For some reason, Katrine felt like something wise is going to be said from his mouth. She was right.
    Okay, so it apparently is from Katrine's POV. You really should use scene breaks when changing POV so you don't confuse the reader.

"Do you plan to..." She couldn't bring herself to use the word 'kill' but it was the only thing that could fit in the blank. "What do you plan to do with Gabriel?"
    Josh began to roll up the sleeves of the hoodie, revealing scars amongst scars until a stream of black ink appeared. The blank ink formed words. These words were the vow of the Sinnoh Region Police Department. "I will not show mercy." Katrine could feel her heart skip a beat. Why was it so hard to look at it?
    With those words, he was gone. Don't give up; she repeated those words to herself. Only one other person said that to her. That person...she meditated on that. A smile appeared on her face as she brought the room temperature milk to her lips. That person was her mother.
    I think you could have used a better word here. It took a double-take for me to get it (it made me first think, 'What? The temperature suddenly turned into milk?')

"Rex, is something wrong… ?"

Aegir, Rex's Feraligatr, folded his muscled blue arms as his glared within its master wavering gazes. He knew him well enough to know that something was breaking him down slowly. The alligator could see the thoughts slowly poisoning his master's thoughts. He had to watch his master slowly self-destruct. He always seemed angry and often bottled it up into this small glass container that had now begun to crack down the side. Rex was falling apart deeply in the inside with his brother being around; Aegir knew that.
    This sentence seems weird. I think I understand what you're trying to say, but it needs to be rewritten. Also, 'gazes' needs a tense change, since I doubt Rex is two people.

"I lost everything that day and I can't help but feel angry at everything now."
    Until then...Aegir hadn't noticed that Rex was crying.
    Aegir is concerned about his trainer, focusing his attention on his problem, but didn't notice Rex was crying. That seems weird, especially since the Rex's voice should be cracking because of it.

Alright, your writing is fine, but you really need to look over your chapters before you post and do a read-through. You have tons of grammar and misplaced words, which makes the chapter hard to get through. A read-through would get rid of tons of those and would definitely make it easier to read.

Even if I'm not quite sure what's happening, I'm going to try commenting on the characters I saw (you can take my opinion with a grain of salt since these characters are strangers to me). Mira was annoying, if perky, and seems like a 2D villain, though she's also the one I like best since she's also rather interesting. Josh makes me grit my teeth, though 'wise men' usually do, anything coming out of their mouths more confusing than helpful. Katrine didn't show much of a personality in the scene she was in, so I'll skip her. Rex was boring, but struggling alcoholics don't tug at my heart strings, so that's just me.

That's all I have to say about this. Just remember to re-read your chapters before posting, it makes so much of a difference, as I can contest to.

Sgt Shock

Goldsmith
    Years
  • Hello. First off I will like to thank you for taking the time to actually read at least one chapter of my story. I will admit this is probably one of my more rushed chapters since I was like a month behind; with that said, I will admit that grammar isn't my strongest point and I could indeed work on this a bit more. Now more to the depth of my response.

First off, it might not be the wisest thing to take up a good characterization from this chapter alone. I know for reasons of time you had to skip to this chapter. As a writer, I am more of a person that would take my time with characterization throughout the entire chapters instead of creating on mold that the character follows throughout the point. Developing a character's personality is just as important throughout the story than sticking with just one. With that said, when you read my story it would be better if you read where the people had come from and how it changes. I completely understand your assessment.

Even if I'm not quite sure what's happening, I'm going to try commenting on the characters I saw (you can take my opinion with a grain of salt since these characters are strangers to me). Mira was annoying, if perky, and seems like a 2D villain, though she's also the one I like best since she's also rather interesting. Josh makes me grit my teeth, though 'wise men' usually do, anything coming out of their mouths more confusing than helpful. Katrine didn't show much of a personality in the scene she was in, so I'll skip her. Rex was boring, but struggling alcoholics don't tug at my heart strings, so that's just me.

That's all I have to say about this. Just remember to re-read your chapters before posting, it makes so much of a difference, as I can contest to.

Mira is far from a two dimensional character. The perkiness is a facade that goes with her much more crueler personality. Though from the outside appearance alone, she would indeed appear very bland. Yet as the story progress it will bring a better light towards her. I can assure you with that. I cannot stand the same of villainous bad game that always appear calculating. You can have a very deep and very evil character without appearing cold at first.

Josh's character, please put your prejudice about wise men aside (lol jk jk.), has developed incredibly from where he had come from. It almost impossible to know his character from this chapter alone. Yet that is my only defense for this part.

This chapter didn't show Katrine's personality at all. So let's skip that. XD

Now, Rex. Hm. How can I say this? Up until this part, Rex's character has always shown to be this head strong, incredibly masculine, and tough character. The chapter before realized an incredible pitfall within his character--having his dream to become Chief of Police by his own older brother--thus starting his alcohol addiction. If one would have just looked at this chapter alone, all you could see is he was having an alcohol problem and your heart strings will not be tugged as you would say. I have to say that you are a bit mistaken, however I understand completely.

As I said before, you are more than correct when you said that it would be wise of me to re-read my chapters before I read them. This chapter is one of few that I didn't take the time to read through thoroughly and I apologize for putting you through this anguish of bad grammar. I hate being corrected with grammar and it bothers me, but I'm lazy too. But I can say, I do have a systematic way of character and developing characters.

You can ask Kyuu when I heard that you were going to review I was nervous. I was nervous because you will not understand if you jumped chapters.

Good review however, I will correct many of those mistakes that you pointed out and thanks for your time.

EDIT: I made some stupid mistakes from typing so fast and it's not that I don't know the grammar rules and such its just that I'm getting the thoughts out as they come. :) That's a flaw I suppose.

Years
  • I can't really say anything that Dagzar hasn't already said. But it was a very good chapter. I will admit that I've not heard of Mina before. Is she someone you made up for this chapter? Will there be more Rikani appearances soon? I certainly hope so, because I love Luxray.

I'll have a talk with Dagzar and see if she minds accepting another "client", as such.

Back