• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Royalty

Dulcet

The epitome of crazy
Years
  • [FONT=&quot]I'll lift my head once again[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Though gravity insists on keeping it down[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]But oh, how I ache with unbearable pain[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Due to this old and rusted crown[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Claiming its place atop my skull[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]A representative of all that I've done[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]A prison sentence, proof of my lies[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]A story with no ending, now begun.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]If only I had been a braver soul[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Courageous enough to admit the truth[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Of the loneliness and misery felt[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]During the time of my youth.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Now come one, come all, and witness this feat[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Watch me as I slowly decay[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]A creature full of lies and deceit[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Who will wear this crown for the rest of her days.[/FONT]

Last edited:

TJgamer

A Pokémon Poet
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Oct 13, 2021
    This poem seems to have a strange mixture of responsibility and guilt.
    The rhyming is done well. Likewise the rhythm. Though a couple verses don't rhyme at all. But it's still good.
    Keep it up!

Dulcet

The epitome of crazy
    Years
  • In the last verse I didn't mean for it to rhyme like that, it just happened accidently :p I didn't want to change it though so I just left it.
    Thank you (:

Azurne

The Local Trickster
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 19, 2011
    I enjoyed this poem a lot, though it does leave a little bit of confusion in some places. I've tried to help smooth it over by makes some suggestions in places, but that's all they are - suggestions. I'm not an expert on poetry. :p
    I'll lift my head once again
    Though gravity insists on keeping me down
    Would it change the meaning if you swapped "me" for "it"? I feel like it would make more sense if you referred back to her head again, so that it ties back into the first line better.
    But oh how I ache with unbearable pain
    Due to this old and rusted crown
    Claiming its place atop of my skull
    Personally I would add a comma after "but oh", to make it flow better. A nice little pause would go well there, I think. A period would also fit nicely after "skull" to end the sentence.

Also, I think you can get rid of the word "of" in that last verse. When you use the word "atop", "of" is already implied essentially. Someone else can feel free to correct me here, but I think it just sounds clunky when you have "of" in there.
    The story with no ending, now begun.
    Again here I think it would sound better of you had "a" instead of "the" story. This particular line sticks out (not in a good way) and since you had a pair of repetitive lines earlier starting with "a", I think it would fit nicely.
    If only I had been a braver soul
    Courageous enough to admit the truth
    Of the loneliness and misery felt
    During the time of my youth.
    I'm curious to figure out what this means. I gather from the whole poem that this queen (or some other royalty) is burdened with guilt of some sort because she lied when she was younger, but I don't follow how admitting that she felt lonely and miserable when she was younger is connected in any way. I mean it sounds nice, but I'm kinda boggled here. :x

Overall, I loved the pace of the poem and how you ended it. Those last lines were pretty powerful in comparison to the rest of the piece. Good luck on future poems~

Dulcet

The epitome of crazy
    Years
  • Thanks, I'll fix those bits up now

I'm curious to figure out what this means. I gather from the whole poem that this queen (or some other royalty) is burdened with guilt of some sort because she lied when she was younger, but I don't follow how admitting that she felt lonely and miserable when she was younger is connected in any way. I mean it sounds nice, but I'm kinda boggled here. :x

That verse is basically showing what she regrets the most, lying about her true feelings, because in the end if she had told the truth then maybe she wouldn't be where she is today.

Back