• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

About 3DS region-lock...

Years
    • Seen Jul 9, 2015
    I do know that both the console and the game have to be bought in the same region to work but, regarding to online features, what would happen if I buy both Console and games in a region but play in multiplayer in another region? Would it detect a different IP and block the online features?

This question was "born" because I read news/rumors (not completely sure) about Nintendo sending an "update" to brick suspicious consoles, I'm almost completely sure that they can detect whatever a game is original or not but, considering that they consider impossible that a person may travel to multiple regions and buy games there, it leaves me a small doubt on whatever they may block access to internet if I'm in a different region compared to where I bought both games and console or, even worse, brick my console thinking I'm pirating it or something.

It may seem like a stupid question but it's really the first time (believe it or not!) that I have to deal with Region-locks.

Arc

[img]http://i.imgur.com/kieFJln.gif[/img]
    Years
    I can't find anything related to this, besides few people bricking their 3DS trying to disable the region-lock.

But, you should be fine. I myself don't own a different region 3DS, but one of my friends imported a Japanese one for MH4 and his seems to be fine. He plays online regularly on MH4 as well.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
    Oh, that? That was years ago. We had a few discussions about this on GBAtemp around that time, and the conclusion we came to was that "Nintendo can brick your system, but it's also illegal and there's been no verified proof of it happening". Some people have reported it, but upon investigation their brickings were likely caused by other means.

Years
    • Seen Jul 9, 2015
    Oh aww, so basically I won't be able to get (for instance) event pokémons or other downloadable content if I'm using internet from a different region? =/ that sucks

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
    Since there's this thread, I might as well ask about this stupid thing Nintendo did...
    I plan to buy 3DS for Persona Q and since I'll own it I plan to go for SMTIV as well but since it's USA-only I think of buying USA 3DS so I could play SMTIV...
    What kind of problems could I come across when I'm from Europe? Will I be able to play games from European store or would I have to create USA account?

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    Oh aww, so basically I won't be able to get (for instance) event pokémons or other downloadable content if I'm using internet from a different region? =/ that sucks
    You'll be able to download events sent out over Wi-Fi for your 3DS region but not other regions. I think in X/Y they're doing everything simultaneously so it might not matter but if they do do Wi-Fi exclusive events, you'll only be able to access the ones available where you got your 3DS.

So for example, my 3DS is from Japan so even though I'm in Canada I can get any event Pokémon available in Japan via Wi-Fi but if there were any North American-only events, I'd be out of luck.

I'm not sure about events like the ones at Gamestop for other Gens where you could walk in and download events from local wireless connections. I have a feeling they would probably be locked to the game's region though.
    Since there's this thread, I might as well ask about this stupid thing Nintendo did...
    I plan to buy 3DS for Persona Q and since I'll own it I plan to go for SMTIV as well but since it's USA-only I think of buying USA 3DS so I could play SMTIV...
    What kind of problems could I come across when I'm from Europe? Will I be able to play games from European store or would I have to create USA account?
    A 3DS can only access the eShop associated with its region. So if you buy a North American 3DS, you will only be able to access the North American eShop. Essentially you'll be stuck always using American currency and buying American games if you import your 3DS.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
    A 3DS can only access the eShop associated with its region. So if you buy a North American 3DS, you will only be able to access the North American eShop. Essentially you'll be stuck always using American currency and buying American games if you import your 3DS.
    I see. Well, I knew about American games so that's okay... what about store? Does it accept credit cards from non-American countries? Or Paypal at least?

Cherrim

Years
    I see. Well, I knew about American games so that's okay... what about store? Does it accept credit cards from non-American countries? Or Paypal at least?
    The Japanese eShop accepts my Canadian credit card so I think you'd be fine in that department.

Cherrim

Years
    Oh, that would be awesome.
    Does store offer all games that are in physical form?
    Not all of them. Some games don't make it to the eShop at all and some only release on eShop. I think all or most Nintendo-published games (Pokémon, Mario, etc.) do, though.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
    Not all of them. Some games don't make it to the eShop at all and some only release on eShop. I think all or most Nintendo-published games (Pokémon, Mario, etc.) do, though.
    Though it does seem as if it's their goal to do so. Just recently, a launch title...the name escapes me, but it was just recently put onto the eshop. With a little bit of patience, I'd surmise that most of, if not all of, the early 3DS releases will be on there.

Cherrim

Years
    Though it does seem as if it's their goal to do so. Just recently, a launch title...the name escapes me, but it was just recently put onto the eshop. With a little bit of patience, I'd surmise that most of, if not all of, the early 3DS releases will be on there.
    Maybe. I imagine it goes by publisher but even that's kind of confusing. For example a lot of Square-Enix releases aren't on there (Kingdom Hearts 3D, Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy) but then some are (Bravely Default, I think?). I doubt KH would ever come out on eShop because no KH game has ever been available for digital purchase for some reason. So it's probably still gonna be on a per-game basis.

But games are more and more often being released on the eShop so I wouldn't worry too much.

Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2020
    Also worth noting is the fact that local multiplayer might not work as expected—Mario Kart 7 for example, fails to pick up local wireless players of different regions, even though theoretically they might find each other online just fine.

Chocolate™

Awesome Dragon
    Years
    So I wanted to ask something since this thread is up. When I first bought my 3DS I put my actual location but the internet features were locked. Then I changed my region to Europe and it began working. So er. what's up with that?

Back