• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

But deliver us from evil

Tek

Years
    You're implying something here that's not entirely clear to me, so I'm going to guess as to what you mean. It may do well for you to clarify what you mean.

You can stop right there, because nothing is being implied in my statement that "Evil is a construct." You can take it at face value, because it was not my intention to make any judgements on the value or usefulness of the construct. I was simply pointing out the fact that evil is abstract rather than concrete, conceptual as opposed to actual.

Either everyone up to the time of my posting had taken the abstract nature of evil for granted or had mistaken an idea for something concrete and actual. I feel that understanding this distinction is a necessary prerequisite to making any critical evaluations of the idea of evil. When we imagine that evil exists in nature, then it follows that there is some definition, some distinction between good and evil that is the right and correct view.

But when we see that evil is an artificially created construct, it follows that the boundary between good and evil is also abstracted. At that point, we no longer need to argue about whose definition is correct, but simply present the reasons why we hold our particular definitions. This allows us in turn to see that all definitions stem from partial truths; all viewpoints have merit, even as some are more inclusive or comprehensive (more "adequate") than others.

I assume you mean the rational ("scientific") approach to ethics, specifically. Science doesn't quite seem like the appropriate term to describe it, since we're not examining data or testing hypothesis, we're merely constructing theories based on logical reasoning.

If, rather, you meant reason instead of science, then you are denying logic as a source of truth. This is impossible, as logic is, by definition, a means of using existing truths to find other truths. You would be saying that truth is not the source of truth, which is a contradiction.

In my outburst of emotion, I used the term "science" incorrectly. You can replace all instances of that word with "reason" or "rationality."

However, I absolutely did not state that the rational approach to ethics has no value in determining truth, in fact I said the exact opposite. What I said, specifically, was that the fact that the rational approach has merit does not mean that other approaches do not also have merit.

However, we can discuss the relative "superiority" of pre-rational, rational, and post-rational approaches in general, which should make clear the impact of the fact that evolution has created deeper truths than mere rationality. To begin, let's examine a few excerpts from the rest of your post.

That is correct. That alone does not "trump" other answers, in that it does not necessarily make those other answers false. However, in argument, the party making an affirmative claim bears the burden of proof. If those bearing other answers wish to convince anyone, they must be able to reason as to why their answers are right.

Ethical philosophy is, in essence, an attempt to rationally construct what is a subconscious understanding in most of us.

A rational basis would also have that effect [of "allowing human beings to find common ground regardless of kinship or lineage"], and I don't see many people going off on crusades to evangelize Kant. Plus, it has the added bonus of being a conclusion you can come to logically. If someone asks you why, you can explain why. With religion as the basis for ethics, your only reason for your belief is because that's what's written there. You tend to run into a lot of problems when different gods (or even the same one) say conflicting things; the only argument you can really use is "my deity's right and yours is wrong," followed by either grudging tolerance or a lot of gunfire.

However, when it comes to a debate about ethics, you need to be able to substantiate your beliefs. To believe is not enough in a debate, where you are trying to convince other people why you are right. "Because God said so" is not a sufficiently convincing reason to anyone who doesn't believe in your religion. "Because happiness is the only universally desirable factor" or "because intent is the extent of what man can control" are much more convincing arguments for why your theory is better.

What is really crucial to understand is that rational values are not held by those at pre-rational or post-rational stages. When you say things like "you must be able to logically show how you reached your answer", this is true only when you are speaking in a rational context, to other people who primarily determine truth through rationality.

On YouTube, you can find a number of fascinating videos showing research on the stages of human development. This one is fairly succinct.

What such research demonstrates is that different worldviews produce different worldspaces.

Concrete operational events do not exist in preoperational worldspaces; the younger children see the researcher magically produce a larger amount of juice, while the older children see the researcher pour the same amount of juice from one cup to another. The conservation of mass exists only when concrete operations exist.

You there, sitting in front of your computer screen, may say "But the amount of juice is the same, regardless of whether the kid knows it." But you are capable of concrete operations. And that child would never, ever see the amount of juice as unchanging, regardless of how many logical arguments you present. Her reality is different from yours.

And formal operational events do not exist in concrete operational worldspaces. The last kid was able to construct a hypothetical world in which feathers break glasses, or in other words, she is able to envision all possible worlds. This infinitude of possibility does not exist for the younger child! He is only able to perceive the world he actually experiences.

The second important thing to note is that these stages unfold over time, in a specific order. This can been seen in individuals over the course of their lifetimes and in humanity over the course of history. People first see the world as full of magical forces who must be bargained with, then they see the world in terms of authoritarian absolutes, then comes rationality and representation paradigm, followed next by pluralistic perspectivism, followed by the newly-emerging integral stage.

When people are emerging from the magic stage, it is simply too great a leap in understanding to go straight to rationality. It would be like expecting someone to go straight from arithmetic to geometry, without having learned algebra. Rational thinking is built upon mythic-level thinking, in the same way that geometry is built upon algebra.

So while it is true that different clans are united when the world is viewed rationally, the mythic stage must be passed through to reach rationality in the first place. This is why it is absolutely critical to make room for those who are at this stage. Mythology is not only a necessary first step to rationality, it performs a function that logic and reasoning cannot.

Now let's look at what makes some worldviews - and the ethical norms of those worldviews - more comprehensive than others. Specifically, I want to illustrate why reason is not the final truth, and what I mean when I say that evolution has moved on.

To begin, logic and reasoning are part of a post-rational understanding, because the later stages of growth both transcend and include the earlier ones. To use the earlier analogy, this is like saying that geometry goes beyond the concepts of algebra by introducing emergent truths, and also includes the truths of algebra within its framework. While trans-rational thought takes logic and reasoning into account, logic ceases to become the most important factor in determining truth as we move beyond the rational stage.

The rational approach has a "representational paradigm." At this stage of cognition, the world is understood to be an objective reality, which one can simply sit back and map, or represent, in an empirical fashion. From this worldview came the Enlightenment and industrial revolution. It is not the case that the logical worldview is meaningless, it is simply that it is very limited and narrow compared to the post-rational modes of understanding, the first of which is referred to as perspectival or pluralistic, the second of which is called integrative, unified, or integral. Ken Wilber describes the pluralistic worldview thus:

"There are many ways to summarize the limitations of the representation paradigm, the idea that knowledge basically consists of making maps of the world. But the simplest way to state the problem with maps is: they leave out the mapmaker. What was being utterly ignored was the fact that the mapmaker might itself bring something to the picture!...

Beginning with Kant, and running through Hegel, Schopenhauer, Nietzsche, Dilthey, Heidegger, Foucalt, Derrida - all of the great "postmodern" theorists - in all of them we find a powerful attack on the mapping paradigm, because it fails to take into account the self that is making the maps in the first place.

The self did not just parachute to earth. It has its own characteristics, its own structures, its own development, its own history - and all of those will influence and govern what it will see, and what it can see, in that supposedly "single" world just lying around. The parachutist is up to its neck in contexts and backgrounds that determine just what it can see in the first place!"

This accounting for perspectives and context is the emergent truth of the pluralist worldview, just as scientific inquiry was the emergent truth of the rational worldview. The emergent truth of the integral worldview is that every previous stage is true but partial.

Magic, mythic, reason, and pluralist all share one thing in common: they all believe that their view is the only right and correct view of the world. Even pluralistic thinking, which says that no view is any better or any worse than another, holds it to be true that this non-ranking view is the right view. But the integral lens sees that each other lens shows a unique and valuable truth, and that every worldview has shortcomings and a unique set of problems that it brings forth.

I hope at this point that I've clearly shown why each and every worldview needs to be honored and included. With that foundation in place, we can look at what makes the later worldviews "better" than the previous ones.

We can safely assume that even the integral worldview is not seeing "all" of reality, since evolution continues to produce new worldspaces. But each lens gets a fuller picture of the universe, and allows human beings to expand their circle of care. As we move from mythic ethics, to rational ethics, to pluralist ethics, to integral ethics, we are able to ensure greater good for a greater number of people.

Phantom1

[css-div="font-size: 12px; font-variant: small-cap
    Years
    There is no such thing as 'evil'. There is what is considered morally right, and what is considered morally wrong. What morals exactly you follow changes this definition.

When the question of morality is brought forth, I'll just share this post from The Atheist Alliance...

Atheists are people, just like any other. Just because we do not follow a religion doesn't mean that we act differently than other people would. There is no proof or evidence or studies that prove that atheists have 'looser morals' than any standard cookie cutter theist.

That is an opinion, and an ill informed one at that.

But how can atheists have morals without god? Without religion?

Secular humanism.

Simply put - don't be a dick.

Hell, even the Jesus' golden rule is common sense. Don't want something done to you? Don't do it to them. Treat people like you would like to be treated. I think it's pretty safe to say that most people believe this way, or feel this way, raised Christian or not, believer or not.

What reason do atheists have to be moral? Why should they?

Human nature; empathy; compassion; conscience; loving; kindness... The desire to be happy. Happiness the deepest and truest expression being human. Who doesn't want a peaceful world? Does not every person desire a life of happiness? Of peace? A good life? You do not need religion to do that. The highest, purest and most lasting form of happiness is the one which we can only bring about in ourselves by cultivating it in others. The recognition of this truth gives us a basis upon which we can build a consistent, objective theory of human morality. Acts that contribute to the sum total of human happiness in this way are right, while those that have the opposite effect are wrong. A wealth of moral guidelines can be derived from this basic, rational principle; hurting others is wrong.

All in all, morality? It's common sense, or at least it should be.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    That's a long post and too much for me to respond to individually. So I'll respond generally in regards to the latter half of your post.

I agree that perspective is important, I don't believe I said otherwise. Truth is not a singular concept and perspective always colors our understanding of it. Neither is it the case that there is only one truth and one "right answer." Putting these together, there are many answers that hold value. There may not even be one "right" answer to find. But my argument was that there is value in the pursuit and value in the answers we come up with, imperfect though they may be. But you are correct, our conclusions are colored by our perspectives and this means that there can be value in many different theories, which is something I do not contest.

However, I don't see how this supports your conclusion at the end that "each and every worldview needs to be honored and included." Every worldview? All-inclusive? The fact that there are multiple truths and even more perspectives does not mean that some things are not objectively wrong. Two plus two does not equal five (except in 1984) and some ideas can be proven to be undesirable for whatever reason (useless, valueless, destructive, illogical, whatever).

Now, you mention what you call "pluralist" and "integral" modes of thinking. The obvious flaw in how you describe this pluralism is that treating all theories and views as equally right is patently absurd, as it makes no particular argument more or less valid than any other; contradictions become universal truths and there is no room for argument, as everyone is simultaneously completely right and completely wrong, and thus the distinction is utterly meaningless, and by extension, so is all debate. However, perhaps the flaw is in your interpretation of the idea; the quote you mentioned doesn't seem to suggest what you've said. Rather, it seems to suggest just what you said earlier: that truth is colored by perspective. Perhaps the quote wasn't sufficient to understand what the author meant by pluralism, though.

This "integral" view you propose gets at something that I agree with, but I think it's being taken a bit too far. It is definitely the case that different, sometimes even conflicting theories can hold value, and that often they also have their own shortcomings. However, there are, in fact, theories that have no value, and it is conceivable that there may exist a theory with no shortcomings (perhaps one that is sufficiently simple and specific in scope that there is no room for any shortcoming). The mere fact that a human came up with a theory does not lend it value; its value comes from what it seeks to accomplish, what truth it approaches.

Moreover, none of this excludes rationality as the foundation on which we build our theories. Quite the contrary: all of this is a kind of rational thinking, and I believe it all exists within the same space. I'm not sure I agree with arranging these different kinds of thought in a hierarchy at all when there are, as you said, shortcomings and things of value within each, though I see them all as a subset of the realm of rational thought.

Tek

Years
    twocows, I've definitely got a response to the points you've raised :] But since we're going into "meta" territory, I first want to comment directly on the thread topic. Also I want to note that I stand corrected: I stated that no one else had yet brought up the abstract nature of "evil", but daigonite definitely beat me to the punch there. I think Blu-ray's post alludes to that as well.. My bad guys!

Anyway, this thread is about whether evil exists, and how we define it if it does exist. Which raises the question, what does an integral framework have to do with the question at hand?

(Note that I've bolded the essential points of this wall of text, on the premise that seeing the overall picture first may help make the details more cohesive.)

I think we've generally established that many people to perceive there to be a such thing as evil, which is basically something that's really, really bad. And what we've seen is that there are a number of different and even contradictory perspectives on just what is considered evil and what is not!

An integral framework will help us pinpoint exactly where these differences are. This in turn, should make it easier to understand where others are coming from, and recognize the value of those viewpoints (which is what got me on my little rant in the first place).

To begin, let's look at what is considered "bad" or "harmful" at each of the seven major extant worldviews/worldspaces.

Tribal/Foraging (Magenta):
    Kinship ties are of the utmost importance at this stage. Evil, therefore, would be to betray or cause harm to the members of one's family or clan. Outsiders are not shown this same respect. Rape, slavery, and murder are wrong only if done against one's kin.

Warrior/Horticultural (Red):
    This is the stage of aggression and violence, where "might makes right". It would still be offensive in the extreme to harm one's kin, but this is no longer strictly off-limits, since power-plays are the name of the game. Evil, therefore, is primarily whatever threatens your own position of power or whatever angers the person or entity who has power over you.

Mythic/Agrarian (Amber):
    This is a conformist stage, in which law and order bring stability to the chaotic world of the warrior. It is at this point that rules such as "Thou shalt not steal" dictate people's behavior, and guilt and shaming become a way to maintain order. The main thing that you must not do is break the rules, so the definition of evil is dictated by group norms and authority, whether God or king.

Rational/Industrial (Orange):
    Starting about two to five hundred years ago (this is recent history, people!), individuals began to question and examine dogmatic belief systems. Tolerance and compassion for all people begin to emerge here. Even though the mythic level brings a huge increase in ethical behavior, that stage still does not extend compassion to all groups, equally. Slavery existed in the vast majority of agrarian societies, but within a 200-year period slavery was outlawed in every industrialized nation the world over. So we can say that at Orange, evil is anything that is oppressive to human beings, even if God or king is the oppressor.

Pluralistic/Informational (Green):
    At this stage, the objective reality revealed through the Orange lens becomes deconstructed. There are no absolute truths here, only contexts and relative perspectives. As Rev. Paul Smith puts it, "The modernist bumper sticker advises, 'Question Authority.' The postmodern bumper sticker says, 'Question Reality.'" Likely views on evil are either that it doesn't exist at all, or that what is evil to me isn't evil to you, so neither person is "really right" or has a better viewpoint than the other. If there is one thing that is really evil, it is any sort of hierarchy or ranking system.

Integral/? (Turquoise):
    If a techno-economic base has emerged with integral consciousness, I have no idea what it is. The green stage emerged about 60 years ago, and the integral stage is still in its infancy, more or less. The major difference between the integral stage and every one of the previous stages is that magenta, red, amber, orange, and green all believe that their view is the right one. The goal of the other worldviews is to get everyone to their own stage, while the goal of integral is "the health of every floor [stage], not just its own". I would postulate, and this is mostly an educated guess, that the major evil at integral might be intolerance or perhaps absolutism from the other stages.

(I'm confident that I "get" integral in an intellectual way, it just rings so true to me that there is always a "better" worldview - no stage has all the answers. But I'm also confident that my center of gravity is not at turquoise. It's more like orange/green, oh so slowly moving into teal. The shift to integral is drastic and life changing; the green and previous stages are all characterized by "deficiency" needs: I lack something, I get it, I feel better. But the integral and later stages are characterized by "abundance" needs: you just overflow with being and wellness and your primary need is to share it, as if you had just won the lottery or something. The point of all this is that I know this has not happened to me yet in any stable and permanent way, so when I say what something looks like from integral, it is, to some extent, informed guesswork.)

So those are the "lenses" through which humans look, and evil looks a bit different through each one. It should be obvious that most answers to the question of "what is evil?" resemble these basic categories, but also that the definitions sometimes resemble more than one adjacent category. This is because the stages shade into one another; they're not strictly clear-cut and separate, which is why I like to refer to them by the color name scheme.

It also seems that looking at the various answers in this way shows the specific value of each perspective, rather than just broadly asserting that "they all have merit".

Now, that's a lot to read, but it's not overly complex. Y'know, compared to things that are extremely complex. Okay, maybe it's a lot, but we're halfway to AQAL. We've looked at All of the Levels, so now let's go around All of the Quadrants!

Those who have stated that evil does exist have generally also said that a person is not evil, but that person's actions may be evil. An individual may also have evil intentions. Note that behavior and intention cannot be reduced; evil thoughts do not always lead do evil actions, and evil actions sometimes come about from the best of intentions.

That describes the interior and exterior of individuals, but what about collectives? The cultural context (mutually agreed upon conventions and ideas) will have some influence on what any particular individual considers to be bad. This is especially true at amber mythic, but even at orange or later stages, there is some degree of cultural influence. If orange is the cultural norm, it would be considered bad for a person to have the opinion that slavery is okay.

Cultural norms also influence (and are influenced by) the external societal structures. You certainly won't find many cattle farms in a culture that holds cows to be sacred! These collective economic structures, in turn, will influence the behavior of individuals; if there aren't supermarket shelves stocked with beef products, it's much more difficult to deviate from the rule of not eating cows.

So we can see that mental intention, bodily behavior, social structures, and cultural norms are mutually determinant.

So there's our integral picture of evil. To summarize: The general movement through the levels (or stages) is to go from what is good for "me", to what is good for "my group", to what is good for "all people". And each of these basic viewpoints will manifest distinctly different types of behaviors, intentions, cultures, and societies.

But my argument was that there is value in the pursuit and value in the answers we come up with, imperfect though they may be. But you are correct, our conclusions are colored by our perspectives and this means that there can be value in many different theories, which is something I do not contest.

We definitely agree there. And the most important thing to note, in my opinion, is that every perspective has some grain of truth, whether a big grain or a little grain, and that every perspective also has limitations, regardless of how comprehensive it is.

However, there are, in fact, theories that have no value, and it is conceivable that there may exist a theory with no shortcomings (perhaps one that is sufficiently simple and specific in scope that there is no room for any shortcoming). The mere fact that a human came up with a theory does not lend it value; its value comes from what it seeks to accomplish, what truth it approaches.

I'm not saying that all rational theories are useful for increasing human knowledge. I'm saying that all of the major worldviews, rational or otherwise, have unique and valuable contributions to humanity.

Moreover, none of this excludes rationality as the foundation on which we build our theories. Quite the contrary: all of this is a kind of rational thinking, and I believe it all exists within the same space. I'm not sure I agree with arranging these different kinds of thought in a hierarchy at all when there are, as you said, shortcomings and things of value within each, though I see them all as a subset of the realm of rational thought.

Again, I'm not discussing theories. I'm discussing the ways in which human beings make sense of the world, not all of which involve rational theories.

The reason that pluralistic and integral worldviews are higher or deeper than the rational one is because they both transcend rationality by introducing new and emergent truths that are not found in a rational worldview, while also incorporating the principles of logic and reasoning. It is simply inaccurate to call them a subset of rationality. That's like saying that molecules are a subset of atoms, or that calculus is a subset of arithmetic. Molecules have properties that are found nowhere in the domain of singular atoms, and calculus has properties that are not found in arithmetic.

However, I don't see how this supports your conclusion at the end that "each and every worldview needs to be honored and included." Every worldview? All-inclusive? The fact that there are multiple truths and even more perspectives does not mean that some things are not objectively wrong.

There are two reasons that every worldview needs to be honored and included, or in other words that every stage of development needs to have room to be a legitimate station in life.

The first is that all of the later worldviews are built on top of the earlier ones, so to speak; the earlier worldviews are the necessary foundation for the later ones. For example, as a person moves from a rule/role identity (common in the mythic stage) to an autonomous self-identity (common in the rational stage), one does not cease to have clearly defined roles, nor does one abandon the rules agreed upon by society. One simply does not restrict the self-identity to those rules and roles: at the autonomous stage, a person is primarily a unique individual, and the roles you play are a part of that deeper or wider self-sense.

The second is that each worldview has a unique emergent truth, which is incorporated by the later stages, but does not originate from those later stages. The rules of society and roles that we play (father, son, salesman, artisan, sportsman, nerd, regular guy, etc.) emerged historically as a major force in human relations during the mythic-agrarian period of humanity, and individually these emerge as the primary method of meaning-making around the time of early adolescence. In essence, at each stage there is a unique "lesson" that must be learned in order to successfully make a stable transition to the next stage.

In addition, it's not clear why this process of transformation should occur at all. It seems that as the limitations of any stage produce greater and greater frustration within either the individual or the society, that there are two options: move to a "higher" reality or face a catastrophic breakdown. We can see this at work time and time again, when people are faced with the most dire of circumstances, and they either spontaneously develop a deeper understanding that allows them to effectively deal with the problems, or they regress and eventually come up against the same type of frustration again.

Since transformation is not currently a "reliable" phenomenon, so to speak, it becomes important to have translation that allows one to live at any particular stage in the most healthy way possible.

And this all-inclusive approach is not some lofty, massively complex and unattainable idea. It turns out that there is actually a relatively simple and elegant way to weave the frayed threads of human endeavors into a harmonious tapestry, without just saying that everything is equal and leaving it at that. Nor do you need to evolve to an integral stage of development to put this approach into practice, thank goodness.

What you need to accomplish this is an integral framework, which consists of, at the very least, levels of evolutionary development, which unfold over time, and quadrants of reality, which is a succint way of referring to the interiors and exteriors of individuals and collectives, or the 1st-, 2nd-, and 3rd- person perspectives of any thing or event. These are called "orienting generalizations", and you can't reduce any of these components to any of the others.

There are also lines, states, and types that exist as irreducible orienting generalizations, but as long as you're taking into account both levels and quadrants, you're there. You are being genuinely all-inclusive. More on the integral framework here: https://integrallife.com/integral-post/integral-operating-system

Now, you mention what you call "pluralist" and "integral" modes of thinking. The obvious flaw in how you describe this pluralism is that treating all theories and views as equally right is patently absurd, as it makes no particular argument more or less valid than any other; contradictions become universal truths and there is no room for argument, as everyone is simultaneously completely right and completely wrong, and thus the distinction is utterly meaningless, and by extension, so is all debate. However, perhaps the flaw is in your interpretation of the idea; the quote you mentioned doesn't seem to suggest what you've said. Rather, it seems to suggest just what you said earlier: that truth is colored by perspective. Perhaps the quote wasn't sufficient to understand what the author meant by pluralism, though.

Yes, the "asperctival chaos", as it's called, of the pluralistic worldview is not directly addressed by that quotation. The idea is that since all truths are contextually-bound, there is no way to say that one truth is any better or any worse than another. Saddam Hussein isn't a bad man, he's just misunderstood and furthermore he is a product of his environment, so you can't blame him for his actions or call him evil. He only seems that way from an outsider's perspective.

This is an extreme example, obviously, but surely you've heard these type of arguments made before. I know I have. Yet despite the shortcomings of such a view - the fact that from this standpoint you could neither hold Saddam accountable nor criticize him in any way - there is an important truth here. Neither Saddam or anyone else lives and grows in a vacuum. All of our supposedly "individual" thoughts and beliefs and actions are partly shaped by the world around us.

Which means, as I illustrated with the video in my last post, that there is no single pregiven reality. This is far and away from assuming that there is simply one objective world that we perceive in an empirical fashion! That's the essential insight of the postmodern worldview, and it is the emergent truth - not found in the rational worldview - that distinguishes the two stages.

And since we've been discussing stages, I want to make it very clear that they are not a sort of clean cut and rigidly divided thing. There are certain distinguishing markers or milestones, but it's not like you go to bed viewing the world in a strictly monological rational fashion and wake up the next day in asperctival chaos. There is a degree of fluidity, and to some extent it would be more accurate to use the term "waves" of development than "stages". But then, while "wave" is much more nuanced than "stage", it is also much less clear.

Generally speaking, a person whose "center of gravity" is, say, ethnocentric, will be capable of understanding worldcentric concepts, and will revert to egocentric behavior under times of stress or pressure.

Last edited:

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    Ugh, I had a much longer post written out, then Comcast went Comcastic on me and left me without internet for three hours yesterday and I lost my post.

I think you and I are arguing different ends of the same thing. You're saying that there is value in all of the popular ways of interpreting morality. I don't disagree. I misunderstood that to mean all ideas ever (which would be silly).

What I'm saying is that I believe all of the value that you can obtain from these different sorts of ideas can be interpreted rationally. Maybe you're misunderstanding what I mean by that: I mean each of these ideas serve some logical purpose, whether the people who practice them are cognizant of it or not. Each of these views is meant to protect or serve some interest in some way, and if we look at the "why," there is a rational explanation for any one of these views as to why they make sense, why they have some degree of value, and why one may be "more right" than another.

Reactions: Tek
    Back