• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other FULL] The Elder Scrolls: Merits of Magic (IC)[M]

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jan 31, 2023

*NOTE: You don't need much, if any, Elder Scrolls Experience to join. This RP is setup so it is relatively easy to understand. Even if you've only played Skyrim, that's fine too.*

The College of Winterhold [Hall of Attainment]

Aernd Vidstus

Hmph. Those chumps won't stand a chance. Aernd looked at himself in the mirror that stood in his dorm room. He rotated his body to see a different angle of the robes he was wearing. They certainly were comfortable, and it even then, it wasn't like they were particularly ugly or anything. After all, if he wore them in public, then he would be recognized as being a member of the prestigious college. "Heh, alright. Looks good." He whisked his body around and approached his work desk, picking up a book, and a grey satchel. The book contained the contents for today's lesson, so he figured it wouldn't hurt taking it along in case he needed to read it later, or simply refresh. He stood at his desk for a few moments longer, and then turned around to open his dorm room door, revealing the Hall of Attainment. Most of the other dorm rooms were located here as well, but Aernd didn't really mind. It made for good conversation with other students. He closed the door behind him, as he casually walked towards the door to enter the College Courtyard. Let's see how many people actually show up to class. He thought to himself, smirking a bit. He didn't care if it was a small class. In fact, it would have made things better for him, as there would be more personal time with the professor.

He entered the courtyard, closing the Hall of Attainment doors behind him, and walked along the stone pathway. Surprisingly, it was a nice sunny day. Still cold, but at least there wasn't any annoying flurry blowing all over the place and making it hard to see. It was days like these that he really enjoyed in Skyrim. Although admittedly, there were times that he missed living in the Imperial City back in Cyrodiil. He continued to walk passing by the statue of the first Arch-Mage, with a few random students just sitting idly together reading a book, next to the statue. A little bit too early to be studying, if you ask me. He just glanced at the students as he walked by, not caring too much about what they were doing. As he approached the gates to the main chamber, he pushed open the doors that slid surprisingly smooth across the tiles, making way to the Hall of Elements. He had seen it only once before, while he took the tour of the school, but things felt a bit different this time around. He would actually be here for a class, instead of a lousy sneak peek. He walked down the hall as he made his way to the large dome-shaped hall. Next to the entrance to the hall was a table set up with various food such as bread, tea pot, sweet rolls, fruit, and other various breakfast items. There were some chairs available for sitting, but there weren't many, probably due to not wanting to take up too much space of the Hall itself. Aernd looked around, and saw pretty much nobody else in the hall. "Well, then." He muttered to himself, pouring himself a cup of tea whilst taking a roll of freshly made bread. He took bite and a sip while looking glancing around the hall some more. In the center of the Hall was an Orb-like sculpture, along with several steps that encircled it, almost like it was supposed to be a fountain. He just stared at it for a while, until he heard footsteps approaching from the Hall entrance. He turned to look as he took another sip, and saw an old man walk in. He was also wearing robes, although a bit different. His eyebrows were grey a bushy, and his hair was a slight mess. Surprisingly, his face was clean shaven.

"Hehe, you're a bit early." He said smiling at Aernd. Don't worry, eat up and we'll get started soon enough. The man spoke. Aernd assumed he was going to be the professor for the class, which Aernd was rather pleased at. He looked like he had some wisdom going on, as well as valuable knowledge to share. Aernd just took another sip, as he watched the professor walk to the center of the hall and took a seat on one of the steps and whipped out a small notebook, and begun to read it, murmuring to himself.

Oddball_

Magical Senpai and god of the closet.
Years
Sadarys Mero: First day

Spells
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Inventory:
Spoiler:

Sadarys gazed around his dorm. To his left hung a portrait of Telvanni sigil, a sign Sadarys had become obsessed with as a child. On the desk was his books, Many dealing with Daedra and Oblivion. He had an empty basket placed at the foot of his bed for alchemical ingredients, and a second hanging over his desk for soul gems...

"Sheogorath's beard! I'm late!" The dark elf groaned running out of the dorm room. He slipped onto the courtyard, where several people, of assorted races and backgrounds, were moving about. "Out of my way N'wah!" Sadarys groaned sliding around a rather confused looking Khajit. After several near collisions and a dozen heated arguments, Sadarys made it into the main chamber, where he was met by two figures standing in the hall. "Oh... Maybe I wasn't late..." Sadarys muttered, slightly embarrassmed. "Should I go apologize to that Breton I knocked over? Meh... Filthy S'wit shouldn't have been in my way." Sadarys thought to himself before grabbing a loaf of bread. He bit into it while gazing around the room. Several things caught his eyes, but of course the large orb in the center was the center of his attention. He walked over and studied the object with hardly a glance at the others.

siiadams

Got 3DS back...1822-1106-0866
Years
Jobakir

Objective: Enter the Hall of Elements

Jobakir opened his eyes slowly as he heard the murmurings and shuffling of others outside his door. The day had begun for them. However he had been awake for an hour or two meditating. It was a habit he picked up on since childhood and felt it helped him focus on what's at hand and to help him stay calm. He was already bathed and was already dressed in the robes he was given upon arrival. "I guess it's time to head to the first class," he thought as he slowly stood up, stretching as he straightened himself up. He walked towards a small table that had his weapons on it. After making sure they were on comfortably yet securely, he walked out the door and out into the courtyard.

As he walked he observed some of the students that were already out there. Some were reading, some were talking, some were enjoying being in the sunlight...but as Jobakir walked by them, he could literally feel the disdain in their eyes as they stopped their actions and stared at him. It didn't bother him in the least though, as he was used to being gawked at and treated like a disease-ridden skeever. Granted, there were very few of his kind in Skyrim (and even fewer here at the college) but their treatment of him without even knowing him seemed a little too much. "One day, they all will see that we are just as important as they are," he thought as he made it to the door to the Hall of Elements and silently walked in.

Already there were some students inside and one that seemed to be an elder, assuming him to be the teacher. He noticed the features of them both and remember that they were Aernd and Sadarys, remembering them from the tour/orientation. As he gazed around the room, his eyes stopped on a table filled with different foods that looked so good that his stomach started growling. He walked towards the table and grabbed a couple of sweet rolls, an apple, and a cup of tea. He found a nearby seat and sat down, his tail sticking out behind the chair as he did so. He quickly ate the sweet rolls and picked up the apple, using a claw to cut slices out of the apple before eating them.

Tixen

*Insert something witty here*
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Dec 11, 2015
Durzsha gra-Malol

The Orismer twisted her body, glancing in the mirror so she could see how these school robes fit her. Durzsha's brow furrowed with annoyance. The robe was rather loose fitting, and as a result, they hid the hard muscles in her shoulders, something that she was fairly proud of. She sighed; there was nothing that could be done about it really. She tucked her hammer into her belt, then reached for her gauntlet. For a moment, she simply stared at it, being flooded with memories of her childhood. She hadn't been home in years, and she missed her mother dearly, but she also had no intention of returning. She pulled the armor on, along with another gauntlet she'd made recently in a similar style, and glanced around her room, searching for anything else she might need. Her room was fairly sparsely decorated, with the most notable objects being various complex metal statues she'd made. Durzsha briefly considered bringing along some paper to write notes with, but decided against it - the class was said to be more hands on.

She strolled out into the Hall of Attainment, and began to make her way to class. She was aware that there was still plenty of time left before the class began. There was really no reason why anyone would be rushing through the hallways right now. A second later, she was proved wrong. Durzsha was knocked sideways as an older Dunmer shoved past her, racing as if being chased by a cave bear. She glared at him, taking note of his student robes and red hair. What was his deal? She pulled herself off the ground, feeling a slight flush of embarrassment at being so easily pushed around by another. She would have to work on her balance next time she trained.

The Orsimer strode after the Dunmer, moving faster now that she had a reason to get to class earlier. She entered the Hall of Elements, and rather than marvel at the architecture or at he table of food waiting for them, she walked straight up to the Dunmer, and folded her arms across her chest. Honestly, Durzsha would have preferred to just tell him off straight up for knocking her over, but she was also aware that just outright yelling wouldn't do her any favors. It never did really.

"Don't you think you should be a bit more considerate of others when going on crazy sprints?" She addressed him in a mild tone, hoping that she came across as making a polite suggestion, rather than being accusing.

Years
Valillia

Valillia awoke in the cave she had stumbled in the night before. Her robes were in a heap on the floor, with the tip of the dagger sticking out of them. She swung her legs over and while sitting cross legged, picked up the blade and examined it. The Elvish craftsmanship had been that of her fathers before he was killed in the Thalmor War. It had been the last thing he made and the only connection she still had with him. When she held the the blade in her hands, it helped her to remember the face of her father. She sheathed the dagger and stood up, gazing around the small enclosure she noticed the sun starting to peak into the cave. Valillia bent over and lifted her robes off of the ground. They were cold but that was no bother to her, she had not been cold for a while now. She slipped into them and hid the dagger inside of her robes. She would throw her hood over her face and make sure it was concealed. With this she would make her way out of the cave, and begin the final trek to Winterhold.

In reality, the trek had been fairly short in Valillia's opinion. Which was fine she just figured it was going to be longer. The walk was nothing compared to her travel from Solitude to Whiterun, that was just terrible. She stopped at the edge of town just before entering, and patted the dagger at her side. Adjusting the hood one final time before entering, there could be no mistakes this time, and she knew that. Finally stepping into the city bounds, she walked at a hurried pace, trying to get through before any of the Nordic men that lived here said anything to her. The bridge to the College was upon her before she knew it. and again she stopped. This time it was to stare at the large seal of the eye, she wished she had gotten more time but she had heard footsteps behind her and she was off again. She walked a little slowly while crossing the more perilous parts of it, but eventually she made it acrossed.

Walking through the entrance she took everything in. The snow laying across the courtyard, some students praying to a statue, and a foolish Dunmer pushing an Orc. "This won't be good," she whispers to herself. She followed the Orc from a distance as she chased down the Dunmer who appeared to head into the main hall. She hurried and managed to slip in the door as it was closing. Standing from a distance she watched as the Orc confronted the Dunmer. Moving alongside the edge of the chamber she stood next to a window as she waited for the class to begin.

Oddball_

Years
Sadarys Mero: Children of Malacath

Spells
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Ooc: Bolding talk text, gonna see if I like it.

"Don't you think you should be a bit more considerate of others when going on crazy sprints?" An Orc asked in the strange deep throated gargle that was unique to the Orc race. "I believe that people shouldn't stand in the way of others. So anybody whom got shoved, pushed, or trampled honestly deserved what they got. Of course I suppose I was perhaps mildly incorrect as too the time that classes started, so perhaps my reasoning for my crazy Sprint was flawed. Nevertheless I apologize if you were harmed, but can't say I wouldn't do it again." Sadarys replied honestly. He didn't care what the Orc felt, it wasn't as if she would play any significant role in his future, but then again it was never wise to anger the children of Malacath.

"My name is Sadarys Mero, Son of Arslic Mero, A current Telvanni council member who fought the army's of Mehrunes Dagon during the Oblivion crisis... And who are you?"

Years
Astral Faeire
First Impressions are Critical

Astral rolls out of bed, hitting the floor and getting jolted awake. "Wha- huh?!" She disentangles herself from the blanket, standing and stretching out to her full height. This makes her bang her hands against the low ceiling, drawing a sharp breath in annoyance. She looks around the room, spotting her new robes on a chair, gasping as she remembers what today is.

"That's right! It's my first day of class! No more sleeping in shabby inns, I'll have a dorm at the College!" She twirls in excitement, shivering in the pre-dawn air. "Hopefully it's better insulated against this Northern chill."

She quickly throws on her robe, belting it tight and securing her knife. Next come her gold boots and gauntlets, certain to be a rarity in the school, and her large gold ring. It doesn't really fit without the gloves, but it hadn't been meant for her hand, exactly. She takes a minute to style her hair, making it smooth in back and ruffled just so in front, before pulling up her hood. Confident that she'll look her best on her first day, she leaves the Frozen Hearth and steps out into the city itself.

She is immediately hit with a cold gust of wind, knocking her hood back and mussing up her hair, leaving snowflakes clinging to her eyebrows. She sighs, pulling her hood back up and heading off for the College at a brisk pace. She heads across the bridge, careful not to slip, and approaches the Hall of Elements. She pushes open the doors, barely containing her excitement. "I'm he~ere!" The doors slide shut behind her as she hurries forward, apparently the last to arrive.

"Oh, I do hope I'm not too late. You know how the weather can be out there. ...is that food for everyone?" Distracted by the breakfast table, she grabs a plate and loads it with sweet rolls, making sure not to get any of the sticky sweet topping on her new robes.

siiadams

Years
Jobakir

Objective: N/A

As he finished his tea, Jobakir took notice of the new arrivals to the class. The first was an Orc female that stood near Sadarys and talked, noticing that she seemed perturbed by something. Did he wrong her in some way? It was one thing this Khajiit knew...do not anger an Orc! However, that got him thinking. What was an Orc doing in a college for mages? Most Orcs (the ones he knew, at least) prided themselves on combat and being physically dominant. It also surprised him to see a female Orc. Sure they existed, but this was the first time he saw one in the flesh before. "Intriguing," he thought as he finished his cup, "Maybe I should keep my eye on her to see how she does."

His eyes roamed the room and settled for a moment on a Wood Elf female near a window, who seemed to shy away from the attention of others. There looked to be something not quite right with this one, as her skin seemed to be lighter-skinned than others of her kind. Was she sick...or is it something else? His curiosity was piqued by this and made a mental note to talk to her, as well. After all, maybe she would need help with her situation one day.

As he was lost in thought, the doors opened quickly to reveal a nice-looking High Elf walking in, cheerfully apologizing for being late. She quickly headed to the table to grab some food, apparently not noticing he was there. He placed the apple core in the trash nearby and reached for an orange this time. He looked up at the lady that was still filling up her plate. He slowly started peeling the orange with a bare claw and cleared his throat to let her know he was near before he spoke. "Not to worry, miss," he said clearly, trying to not give her a fright, "I think the class should be starting soon." He threw the peel away and started eating the fruit piece by piece.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jan 31, 2023

Aernd Vidstus

Aernd kept to himself as some of the others came into the hall as well, who he assumed were going to be his classmates. He took a sip of his tea, placing his cup back onto the table, and finishing off the roll of bread he had in his hands, stuffing it into his mouth. He wasn't even that hungry, but he wanted avoid being hungry during class. Those Elven folk will probably outshine all of us. He thought to himself, as he looked at the Elven students that were in the Hall. He knew Elves a better affinity for Magic than other people, however, Aernd didn't want that thought to hinder his own progress. If anything, it would prove to help him further his own abilities by reaching a higher standard. He crossed his arms as he looked at the other students, and then uncrossed them as he started to walk down the steps towards the centre of the Hall, and approached their professor, who was still busy reading the book. "Ahem." Aernd cleared his throat as a way of getting the Professor's attention. He looked at Aernd, almost as if he were looking to see if something were wrong with him. "When are we getting started?" Aernd spoke, but kept it respectful and tried not to give off a hostile tone in his voice.

The professor simply looked at him, and then at the other students in the hall. "Ehhh...I guess we'll start now." He paused for a few seconds, and slammed his book shut, and put it in his bag that slung around his robes. "Alright everyone, let's get started." The Professor announced to everyone, as he walked over to a more open area of the Hall, and gestured everyone to follow. Aernd just shrugged as he casually walked on over to where the professor was standing, standing several feet away from him. He waited until the other students were gathered around, before looking around at his class and then clearing up his throat before speaking. "Welcome, welcome!" He announced, with a smile on his face. "Your first class, bright and early. Sort of annoying I know. But if it makes you feel any better, it'll be short today. You know, an introduction of sorts." He said, pausing. Aernd sort of had a feeling that it was going to be a shorter class today, mainly because it was the first, and he honestly didn't mind. "I'm Forrlaf, and I'll be your professor. I've been a teacher at this College for a good chunk of my life, so you can say that this is pretty much my home." Professor Forrlaf looked around, putting his hands behind his back as he paced around. "My job here is to teach you to become better Mages. I don't care what Race you are, where you are from, or what 'nobility' your name holds. You are here in this room, and this college, and will be treated like any other student. What that means is that you must also treat your fellow students with the same respect." He looked at the students, as Aernd stood there sinking in the words. He hadn't thought much of the status of the other students, but he figured that it was a good things those kind of things didn't matter in the school. He certainly would not have liked it if someone else was getting special treatment for being royalty or something. The professor stopped talking for a few seconds, as he stopped pacing about and just turned to face the students. There was a slightly awkward silence in the room, until the professor once again broke it.

"Okay, then. With that out of the way I guess I can get started." He began. "I'm sure most of you know at least the basics of magic, and what it is. The art of manipulating magicka and controlling reality, is called Magic, individual casting, ect." Professor Forrlaf spoke, seemingly knowing what he was talking about, which sat well with Aernd. At least he didn't seem like some random teacher who thought they knew what they were talking about. "Usually Elves have a better aptitude for learning Magic, however, like I said before, I'm not going to let that affect my teaching in any way." He spoke. Aernd turned to his side to look at his fellow Elven students. Heh, well, we'll see how good their 'aptitude' really is." He smirked, turning his attention back to the professor. "As such, I guess we will start with something really simple. I'm going to be teaching you the Candlelight spell." The Professor raised his left hand in front of everyone, and after a few seconds, it became enveloped in a warm light, shining brightly like a torch. The light then moved from his hand and started to hover directly on top of the professor, until he gave a wave of his hand, dissipating the orb of light. Impressed, Aernd smirked, and then rubbed his hands together, excited about starting. "Candlelight is exactly as it sounds. It's an Alteration spell that will create a ball of light, and follow you wherever you go. In most cases, it's much better than using a torch. However, if you are inexperienced with the spell, you will still need to use your casting hand to keep the orb hovering and shining. This spell will be useful for next week's class, so you may as well learn it right now." The Professor paused for a moment, as he stuck out his hand once again. "Now, let's try this from scratch. Take your desired casting hand, and concentrate. The key to using Magic is focus, and imagination. Try to actually imagine the spell and its properties. Light, warmth, radiance. Whatever comes to your mind." Aernd stuck out his hand, trying to envision how the spell worked. With his tongue stuck out from the side, he looked at his hand and tried focus his magicka into the creation of the light, however, disappointingly, nothing was happening.

Years
Astral Faeire
Class is in Session

"Not to worry, miss. I think the class should be starting soon." A kindly Khajiit offers words of encouragement as he eats his food. Astral nods to him, murmuring thanks through a mouthful of food. She doesn't have long to talk, or eat, as the professor slams his book shut and announces the beginning of class. She pulls a handkerchief from her pocket as the class gathers before the professor, wiping off any crumbs or icing from her face and gloves.

The professor, Forrlaf, seems like a nice fellow, if a little long-winded. Astral rolls her eyes at his comment of Elven aptitude for magic. It was a rather tired stereotype, but she suspects she'll hear it repeated often here. Her disdain is short-lived, however, once Forrlaf casts his Candlelight spell. "Oooh... shiny!" She grins as she watches the light orb follow his hand.

"Now, let's try this from scratch." Astral's grin fades at the professor's comment. From scratch implies no books to help them learn, and that he expected them to just learn the spell with no practice. College might be harder than she thought. She frowns, refusing to choke on the first day, and extends her right hand. "Light, warmth, radiance..." she mutters, vividly recalling Forrlaf's spell. She focuses on her hand, willing the light to appear.

Nothing happens.

She lets out the breath she hadn't realized she was holding, forcing herself to tune out everything else. Clearly this would require some effort and thought. It's not truly candle light. The spell provides no heat, only light. Steady, consistent light, not at all like a flickering candle. It's more like... the Northern lights! She opens her eyes, raising her hand again. She focuses on the magicka within, a steady thrum of power in her chest, willing it into her arm. She imagines the aurora borealis, localized entirely in her hand, and a soft blue glow spreads from her palm. The light gathets in a small orb, and with a flick of her wrist and a whisper of will, she tosses the light into the air.

She lets out her breath, feeling a little drained, but instantly perks up after seeing her success. "Ha HA! I did it! I cast the spell!" She waves her arm back and forth slowly, the little orb following lazily.

Tixen

*Insert something witty here*
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Dec 11, 2015
Durzsha gra-Malol

The Dunmer gave her what sounded like a fairly honest response, only the actual message it carried made Durzsha feel slightly uncomfortable. He was correct, in her opinion anyway, in saying that people shouldn't interfere with others. However, that statement wasn't one that should be taken too literally. It was more in the sense of dreams and ambitions - if someone wanted to prevent you from doing what you wished, then by all means, trample them out of the way. She didn't feel that it meant literally shove everyone who might be standing near you as you walk by out of the way.

"I wasn't harmed by your sprint." She said curtly. As if something as simple as that could hurt her! "But others could have been. Would it still be their fault if they couldn't get out of your way due to injury or something similar?" It was never any good to harm those who were already weak. However, Durzsha got the feeling that she could argue all day with this man - he looked as if he had many more years under the belt than she did, and if he hadn't figured that out by now, there was no helping him.

He introduced himself as Sadarys Mero, adding a little of his history as well. She could respect the fact that he had fought during the crisis, but being a Telvanni council member didn't mean much to her, being rather unfamiliar with what they did. In stark contrast to his introduction however, she simply said, "I'm Durzsha gra-Malol." She felt little need to acknowledge her father, nor did she feel any urge to try and impress Sadarys with her past feats.

Soon after this, her attention was quickly caught by the sound of something slamming. She reacted quickly to this, moving into a defensive stance and reaching for her hammer, only to realize that it was the professor starting the class. Durzsha hoped nobody had seen that, and followed the group to a more open area. The professor introduced himself as Forrlaf, and his introduction couldn't help but make her approve of him. His insistence upon everyone being equal here was something she appreciated, and she had a feeling she wouldn't be the only one, having spotted a Khajiit within the class as well. Of course, at the moment this was all just words - time would tell if Forrlaf truly meant what he said. He went on to explain the Candlelight spell, an Alteration spell. Durzsha frowned a little - she hadn't exactly done much in the realms of Alteration before, so this could be potentially a little difficult. However, she was determined to succeed at this, especially when considering that the spell was, while simple, rather useful to have. Having demonstrated the spell, Forrlaf quickly instructed them all to give it a shot. Again, this was something she approved of - she always found learning hands on worked better than reading theory on the subject.

Durzsha placed her left hand out in front of her, and took a deep breath, trying to feel her magicka inside her. She could feel it, this strange force that ran warm through her veins, an alien sensation, but still oddly comforting. When she felt ready to cast the spell, she opened her eyes, only to quickly become distracted by the tall Altmer woman waving her hand joyfully, a small ball of light following. How did she do that so quickly? Not wanting to be outdone, she again felt the magicka within her, and focused upon her hand. Forrlaf had said to recall 'warmth, light and radiance', so she summoned the mental image of a small candle, and tried to alter the world around her to the vision in her head. To her disappointment, nothing happened.

Deciding that she needed a stronger mental image, Durzsha tried again, this time thinking of the cooking fires that they'd had back home. Those fires had been warm and comforting, strong but not out of control. That was the feeling she'd gotten from Forrlaf's spell, and she tried to recreate that, but again, it was to no avail. She bit her lip in frustration, being vaguely aware of other people in the class casting the spell successfully. She would not be beaten on this! She could feel that she was almost warping reality to her will, but it just wasn't enough - she couldn't get a spark. That thought brought up the image of a flint, the scrape of metal upon metal, and how that movement summoned up the first initial sparks to bring a flame into being. At this, a light flared into existence above Durzsha's hand, shining brightly to start with, before dimming to a constant brightness. She couldn't help but smile a little upon seeing it above her hand. It wasn't nearly as strong as Forlaff's was, but she'd managed to do it, and for the moment she was content to watch it, a quiet sense of accomplishment filling her.

siiadams

Years
Jobakir

Objective: Learn Candlelight spell

No sooner had the lady thanked him and he finished his orange that he saw the teacher motion for everyone to gather around him. Silently he made his way to the group, being careful not to get too close to anyone. After all, not everyone was a fan of his kind and the last thing he wanted on his first day of class was a confrontation with anyone. The teacher (now known as Forrlaf) began a fairly well-prepared speech to welcome them to the school. As Forrlaf mentioned how he would treat everyone equally, Jobakir seemed to soften a little. "Was he supposed to say that," he thought, "or is that what he truly believes?" He knew there were many who believe that way, yet the majority rule was that those of his kind (among others) were considered non-human enough to be looked down upon and made fun of. In this case, however, only time would tell if Forrlaf's words would ring true.

It was then that Forrlaf showed them all the Candlelight spell, a basic Alteration spell. As he watched the ball of light created float around, Jobakir was convinced that the spell would be fairly simple to imitate. If he could concentrate enough to create a wolf to fight for him, surely he could create a small ball of light. However, once he heard the words "from scratch", the confidence of the Khajiit was slightly shaken. Nevertheless he remained undeterred as he closed his eyes and slowly opened his left paw. He quietly concentrated on the ball of light that he was shown...on its brightness, its warmth, its serenity...

But nothing happened.

Feeling a little perturbed by this, he turned his back to the group and concentrated harder on his mental picture of the spell. Slowly, surely, he started feeling a slight warmth on his paw. It felt like he was holding his paw to a small flame. Before he could see what the source was, a squeal of glee came from behind him as the High Elf lady was the first to succeed in casting the spell. Her celebration was enough for him to lose his concentration. Shortly after that, the Orc lady was able to create one as well. "Maybe I need to think of something else," he thought as he stared at his empty paw.

Turning back around to face away from the others, he closed his eyes and tried to figure out what would help him conjure this light. But what could he think of that had light, warmth, and serenity? Fires were violent at times, candles weren't dependable...wait a minute! The sun! It was warm, bathed everything with a golden glow, and he remembered many times he'd take a small nap outside simply from sitting in the sunlight. He concentrated his magicka once more as his mind replayed those scenes in his head. This time, he was able to feel the warmth on his paw. The warmth he felt this time was different. It felt stronger and strangely comforting. Slowly he opened his eyes and looked down to his opened paw. There it was...floating a few inches or so above...the spell was a success! A wave of accomplishment washed over him as he started moving his hand around, watching the ball of light move with it. A smile crept across his muzzle as he turned back to the others, showing what he was able to create.

Years
Eltruel Manirane
Hall of Elements, The College of Winterhold

Eltruel was among the first to get to class. He was an early riser and a midnight oil burner. No one could figure out when he finds the time to sleep, but he manages. He stood in a corner reading a book about the Aedra. He didn't care to partake in the awkward first day of class conversations around him. He held a cup of tea in one hand and the book in the other, concentrating on every word that he read. Eltruel often found himself burried in a book, or pondering the mysteries of of the esoteric.

His peace didn't last for long as more students and the professor trickled into the hall. He paid no mind to the elves and instead focused on the Orismer and Khajiit that wandered in. It wasn't every day that you see these races in a mage college, especially the Orismer, but it wasn't unheard of. They must possess some strong magical aptitude. Eltruel didn't have a tough time of passing the entrance exams, but he figured that they must have considering their heritage. He was impressed that they would even attempt to learn the Clever Craft.

The Orismer and a Dunmer seemed to have an issue brewing. It was only the first day, and his fellow students were already getting into spats. However, they handled them succinctly, as expected of a mage. If this were a group of warriors, he was certain that someone would be disembowled or missing a limb at this point.

Eltruel drained his tea cup before returning it to the table. The professor was stirred into action by a black haird man. He snapped his book shut and leaped to his feet, rangling in the students that were in the hall. Eltruel returned his book to his bulky satchel and gave the professor his attention. Professor Forrlaf went through the standard first day spiel: introductions, a history of magic, the usual. He seemed adamant about this hall being an equal playing ground for everyone involved, which was refreshing to hear.

The professor decided to start things off with a simple lesson. Probably to keep the less magically inclined from being discouraged, but more importantly, it would prove necessary for the upcoming lesson. Their task was to cast Candlelight, a simple alteration spell. Eltruel had been considering learning it to assist him in his late night reading. It would save him a bit of coin on buying candles. Professor Forrlaf instructed them on what to do. The rest was up to them.

Eltruel's eyes narrowed as he focused, right hand outstretched. He could feel the magika gathering in his being. He remembered the time that he nearly burned down an inn when practicing alchemy. The brilliance of the fire. The heat radiating from it. The fire was manageable, but boy, was the owner upset. A bright globule of light flickered into existence before expanding into an orb of soft light. Eltruel grinned. It was brought on by a combination of the memory and his success. He didn't doubt himself for a second.

He surveyed the room to see how everyone else was doing. The other students were showing varying levels of success. One in particular, an Altmer, displayed a child-like wonder at her feat. Eltruel was glad to see that the Orismer and Khajiit did well. He didn't want to ruin anyone's concentration, so he kept to himself, guiding his light around the room while awaiting further intruction from Professor Forrlaf.

Years
Valillia could feel the slight hint of a chill whilst standing under the window. She stood silent while observing the other students mingle for the few minutes before class started. An Altmer made her way into the hall and straight to the table with food. Valillia watched as the Altmer gave no care for any of the other students as she began taking as many sweet rolls as could fit onto the plate. She will probably turn out to be some pompous jerk like they all are, thought Valillia.

Moving her eyes around she caught the Khajiit staring at her. Valillia gave a quick look out the window to check he was looking at her. Turning back around he was still looking. What a creep. Probably gauging the amount of coin I have. Oh well, she went back to observing the Altmer.

Valillia's growing obsession over the Altmer was stopped by the clap of a book slamming shut. She turned her head to stare at the source and it was a man who looked the part of the teacher. Valillia stepped away from her haven next to the window and got closer to the man to hear what he was saying. She approached to be able to hear what he said but still far away from the others.

The professor begin a short lecture about the merits of magic and how everyone in this room would be given a fair chance despite Merfolk's aptitude. It was a nice sentiment but we will see how it turns out with the Orc or Khajiit. The Khajiit was most likely only in here to get better at theft. He then went on to give a short summary of magic and give us our assignment, cast candlelight.

Valillia placed both of her hands in front of her and began to concentrate. She pictured the light and radiance of the moons. Their majesty always offering her sanctuary when she needed it. It took a few seconds but a ball of light popped into her hand. She gave off a short giggle. Surprised at her laugh she hurriedly looked around to check if anyone had heard it, satisfied she went back to the ball of light. Moving it between both of her hands before letting it drift up to above her head. After a minute of it existing it extinguished itself and ceased to be.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jan 31, 2023

Aernd Vidstus

"Ughhhhh..." Aernd muttered to himself. This is hopeless. He was getting a bit agitated seeing as the only success he had so far was barely a flicker of light. He looked over to his peers who seemed to have been having much more success than him. What annoyed him the most, was that he was seriously hoping that the others didn't think Imperials were hopeless at Magic, or humans in general. However, the Professor seemed to have been of Nord descent, so he somehow doubted people were thinking lowly of his magical aptitude. Shrugging it off, he looked back at his hand, and surprisingly, there was just a small shimmer of light that had formed into an orb, but dissipated after about a second. Well...at least I'm making some progress. He put his hand down, letting out a sigh. His peers were having a much better time than him, but he assured himself that if he practiced hard, the spell would be in working condition for whatever they had planned next week.

"Well, you all seem to be getting the hang of it." The Professor said, looking at the students. "Keep practicing for next week. For now, we will move on." The professor reached into his satchel once again, pulling out his book, and flipping through the pages. He continued to do so, until he stopped at a page, and coughed to clear his throat before talking. "So, as you all know, that spell was called Candlelight. It falls under the Alteration School of Magic. Alteration Magic is a type of magic that manipulates the natural properties of the physical world, and changes or 'alters' the physics or biology of something. Because of this, most Alteration Magic's greatest strengths lie outside of combat. Often thieves and assassins will make use of Alteration, in things such as lockpicking." The professor paused, taking a brief breather before continuing. Aernd took a quick glance at his fellow Khajiit classmate when the Professor had mentioned that thieves would make use of Alteration with lockpicking. Aernd certainly wasn't one to judge right away, as that was how he was raised, however, he still couldn't help but look due to the reputation the Khajiit have. "Alteration can also range from things such as the Candlelight spell you just practiced, to abilities such as Water-breathing or even Transmutation. However, do not get Alteration confused with Illusion. In Illusion Magic, the altered reality is most often only seen by the caster. Alteration changes the rules of nature and creates a reality that can be seen by everyone, not just the caster." The professor just stared into his book blankly for a few seconds, before slamming it shut yet again, and looked at the group. "Alright, I guess that's enough information on Alteration Magic to get you started. You all have the textbooks, so I recommend that you read up on your own time, and practice some more with the Candlelight spell. I have a little surprise for you all next week, so make sure you all know how to properly use the spell for at least a good duration of time." The professor stood there for a few more seconds, before nodding to the students, walking past them and across the Hall, presumably headed back towards his quarters. Aernd stood there for a few moments, taking mental notes on the whole Alteration Magic lecture, plus making sure to practice his Candlelight spell. He then turned to his fellow students, and figured now could be a good time to possibly get to one another? Or at least try to.

"Well, I hope you all aren't trying to one-up me, because by the time next week rolls around, I'll have mastered that Candelight spell better than the professor himself." Aernd joked. He gave smug smirk as he crossed his arms and looked at his fellow classmates. "Oh, my name is Aernd is by the way."

Years
Astral Faeire
Class Dismissed

Astral continues playing with her light orb while Forrlaf explained the difference between Alteration and Illusion. Alteration had been something of a specialty in her House, so she was well aware of what it was. To her surprise, the professor leaves after his little lecture, informing them that their next lesson is in a week.

"Well, I hope you all aren't trying to one-up me, because by the time next week rolls around, I'll have mastered that Candlelight spell better than the professor himself." Another student, apparently named Aernd, speaks up.

"Oh, not at all. Some people just learn faster than others, and it honestly depends on the spell." Her light extinguishes as she moves over to Aernd. "Why, I had the most dreadful time learning wards, but eventually I figured it out, and now I can cast wards with the best of them." She smiles, pulling her hood back and adjusting her hair. "Well, a lesser ward, at any rate. It's a pleasure, Aernd. I'm Astral."

Years
Eltruel Manirane
Hall of Elements, The College of Wnterhold

Eltruel grew bored of testing out the spell. He waved away the ball of light, which disapperead in a wisp of smoke. He folded his arms as the professor began to speak. He explained the details of the school of Alteration and its uses. Eltruel rolled his eyes in disbelief. Did I sign up for the wrong course? Someone of his talent should be elsewhere.

The professor wrapped up the lesson, suggesting they work on using Candlelight comfortably. With a nod, he left. Eltruel let out a sigh. He was hoping that he would get the chance to learn magic that was challenging. If he wanted to learn how to cast such a low-level spell he could have purchased a manual from a merchant. The professor promised a surprise before he left. At least, this gave Eltruel something to look forward to. Before the day was over, he planned on leaving a letter for the Professor, asking for some sort of advanced placement.

Eltruel was just about to leave, when the black-haired man from earlier spoke, spouting nonsense. How exactly does he think he'll be able to surpass Professor Forrlaf? He couldn't even cast a stable Candlelight spell. It's so simple. Eltruel approached the Aernd to pose a question, but the ebullient Altmer stepped over. She shared some encouraging wisdom for the Imperial. Well that's one perspective to adopt.

"Astral? That's a peculiar name for an Altmer." Eltruel said. He didn't follow up on the statement as it was just a shared observation. He instead addressed Aernd, "Why did you chose to study the Clever Craft? I'm certain you would fare better in another field."

Eltruel raised an inquisitve eyebrow. He was genuinely curious about the man's motivation. He was obviously out of his comfort zone here. Eltruel was certain that the Imperial had the potential, but did he have the skill?

Last edited:

siiadams

Years
Jobakir

Objective: N/A

As the others learned and displayed their Candlelight spells, Forlaff ended the class by explaining the difference between Alteration magic and Illusions. As the teacher spoke, he noticed Aernd's eyes staring at him for a moment. He ignored him for now as the teacher finally left, alluding to a surprise tomorrow. After Forlaff left, Aernd spoke to the others with a seemingly-haughty attitude before saying he was "joking". Then the High Elf lady spoke, introducing herself as Astral. Finally the Breton that had been in the room since the beginning spoke, though he seemed bored in the class.

After standing around for a couple of minutes, he decided to leave. He walked back towards the table but was quickly debating with himself. He needed to practice this new spell, after all, and there weren't many places dark enough yet. He grabbed another apple before retreating to a darker corner of the room. Sitting on the ground and getting comfortable, Jobakir concentrated on the spell, which lights up the Khajiit's visage from time to time. He did notice that it was becoming easier to cast. "Looks like I need to simply practice on this," he thought as he started eating his apple in the dark. He glanced towards the others from time to time, but kept working on his new spell.

Oddball_

Years
Sadarys Mero: Candlelight!

Spells
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Ooc: Late post is late / =

The Orc had introduced herself, not that Sadarys was overly interested. It was worth noting however, that she was more of a thinker than most of her kind. She would be worth watching... After a moment the instructor began to spout some information that Sadarys digested. In the midst of his ramble, the Nord produced an orb of light, and told the others to do the same. Azura guide me... Sadarys whispered in prayer, and as he thought of the stars a weak orb fluttered into existence, but died out shortly after. Again! Sadarys growled focusing on the star once again. The orb grew in brightness, but kept sputtering out after a moment. Was he forgetting something?

The nord began rambling again, in the end mentioning that they needed to continue practicing. Naturally. Sadarys mumbled as he shuffled over towards the others. Well I suppose we should all get to know each other. As it seems we're going to have a bit of spare time between classes, I suppose it's always better to have stimulating conversations at the very least. I'm Sadarys Mero by the way.

Back