• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pok?mon of the Day - Dratini (163/???) [being remade]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
How difficult did you find Lance's Dragonites in the first/second generation titles?
Honestly, I didn't have too much trouble with them. Granted, it was because I generally had an Ice type on my team heading into the Elite Four (Articuno in Yellow, Lapras in Gold), but I still don't think I would've had much trouble otherwise.

As things stand, Volcarona and it's pre-evolution are the only Bug/Fire dual-typed Pokemon. Is this a combination you would like to see in other Pokemon in the future, or should it remain exclusive to Volcarona?
I'm sort of interested to see what another Bug/Fire Pokemon would look like, but I think I'm fine with Volcarona for now. And to be honest, I'd like to see a Mega Volcarona before any other Pokemon with the same typing.

pkmin3033

465 - TANGROWTH

600px-465Tangrowth.png

"It ensnares prey by extending arms made of vines. Losing arms to predators does not trouble it."

That what wrong with the media today. All they have is questions, questions, questions. They never have cookies. Today's Pokemon of the Day is Tangrowth! The evolved form of Tangela, and another Pokemon which evolves only through learning Ancientpower, Tangrowth is a little friendlier-looking than its pre-evolved form, although it is equally sinister, using its rapidly growing vines to ensnare its prey, shrugging off flesh wounds with indifference in the process. Its ability to regenerate makes it no surprise that it has access to the Regenerator ability, and complements its passable physical bulk. Like most fully evolved Pokemon that evolve via special means, Tangrowth isn't found in the wild - indeed, at the time of its release the only way to get one was to transfer a Tangela via Pal Park...or trade for one online. In the anime, a Tangrowth appeared as a misguided antagonist, stealing Pokemon's energy so that it could use Growth on a dying tree. Its other roles have been limited to cameos.

Share your opinion, memories, and experiences of Tangrowth! As well as the general questions in the first post of this topic, here are some fun things to think about:

• Why do you think Tangela needs to learn Ancientpower to evolve into Tangrowth? Would you have chosen another move to trigger as the catalyst for its evolution?
  • What do you think lurks beneath Tangrowth's vines?

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
Years
Why do you think Tangela needs to learn Ancientpower to evolve into Tangrowth? Would you have chosen another move to trigger as the catalyst for its evolution?

I don't really know why. Maybe they should use Growth or Power Whip instead.

What do you think lurks beneath Tangrowth's vines?

A big, grey, sharp-toothed, armless mess.

pkmin3033

315 - ROSELIA

315Roselia.png

"The more healthy the Roselia, the more pleasant its flowers' aroma. Its scent deeply relaxes people. "

I got a feeling inside of me, It's kinda strange like a stormy sea. I don't know why, I don't know why, I guess these things've gotta be~ Today's Pokemon of the Day is Roselia! First introduced in Generation III, despite being yet another Grass/Poison dual-typed Pokemon, there is a lot about Roselia that is unique: it has its own signature move, Grass Whistle (although other grass-types have been able to learn this move in later generations), was one of the fourteen Pokemon that could accumulate foreign Pokedex entries in Diamond and Pearl, and is the only Pokemon to have both its pre-evoution and evolution introduced in the same generation. In the anime, Roselia was Drew's signature Pokemon, and Nando's Budew would later evolve into one whilst battling Ash's Pikachu. It has appeared several times outside of its major appearances in cameos.

Share your opinion, memories, and experiences of Roselia! As well as the general questions in the first post of this topic, here are some fun things to think about:

• Given that Budew and Roserade are right next to one another in the National Pokedex and Roselia ismuch earlier, would you have preferred Roselia to have been introduced later, or if its pre-evo/evo were introduced in earlier/later generations?
  • Do you prefer Roselia's shiny colouring to its regular colouring? What colouring would you choose for the roses on Roselia's arms if given the choice?

Adam Levine

Years
Given that Budew and Roserade are right next to one another in the National Pokedex and Roselia ismuch earlier, would you have preferred Roselia to have been introduced later, or if its pre-evo/evo were introduced in earlier/later generations?

I like it just the way it is. It makes Roselia unique (although I'm not entirely happy with the concept of baby Pokémon).

Years
Do you prefer Roselia's shiny colouring to its regular colouring? What colouring would you choose for the roses on Roselia's arms if given the choice?

I think it would be neat to see a Roselia with carnation-like flowers on its arms for its shiny form. Particularly the white ones with colored edges, instead of solid colored flowers.

pkmin3033

249 - LUGIA

600px-249Lugia.png

"It sleeps in a deep-sea trench. If it flaps its wings, it is said to cause a 40-day storm."

Well, right now I wish my mom had named me "Bob" Today's Pokemon of the Day is Lugia! The Legendary mascot of a record of three Pokemon games - Silver, SoulSilver, and XD - and the trio master of the Legendary Birds, Lugia is...uh, a plesiosaur/dragon/stegosaurus thing. As a mascot Legendary, Lugia is what you would expect: extremely efficient at what it does, with the name of the game being a rather irritating tank. With access to both Multiscale and Roost...it's going to be around for a while. This is before one even considers what it can do whilst it's out, too. Lugia's main appearance in the anime was, of course, in the second Pokemon movie, in which it did a lot of aimless flying about trying to calm down the raging Legendary Birds...which were ultimately calmed by a little girl instead. It also featured prominently in the Johto anime however, where a young one was captured by one of Team Rocket's more competent branches. Needless to say, its parent was not happy about it.

Share your opinion, memories, and experiences of Lugia! As well as the general questions in the first post of this topic, here are some fun things to think about:

• Despite not being a water-type, Lugia has been depicted as such - mistakenly in the novelisation of the second film, but deliberately in the TCG. Do you think being a Water type suits Lugia more? Which of its existing types would you change to accomodate this if so?
  • What did you think of Shadow Lugia in Pokemon XD? Is this something you'd like to see again in future titles?
  • Lugia spends a lot of time at the bottom of the sea, the same as Kyogre. Which of the two would prevail in a battle for control over the oceans?
  • Did Lugia's design prompt you to choose Pokemon Silver or SoulSilver instead of Gold or HeartGold?

Xertified

Shtposting is my life.
Years
Despite not being a water-type, Lugia has been depicted as such - mistakenly in the novelisation of the second film, but deliberately in the TCG. Do you think being a Water type suits Lugia more? Which of its existing types would you change to accomodate this if so?

I mean Mega Evolution will be good for him and Ho-Oh.

What did you think of Shadow Lugia in Pokemon XD? Is this something you'd like to see again in future titles?

It is a cool Pokemon and I wanna see it again in the future.

Lugia spends a lot of time at the bottom of the sea, the same as Kyogre. Which of the two would prevail in a battle for control over the oceans?

4 vs 1. Probably, Lugia but Kyogre have a Primal though :/.

Did Lugia's design prompt you to choose Pokemon Silver or SoulSilver instead of Gold or HeartGold?

Not at all, I choose what friends choose.

Adam Levine

Years
Despite not being a water-type, Lugia has been depicted as such - mistakenly in the novelisation of the second film, but deliberately in the TCG. Do you think being a Water type suits Lugia more? Which of its existing types would you change to accomodate this if so?

JUST MAKE IT A WATER/FLYING TYPE. PLEASE. Give it an alternate form or a Mega...or something.

Lugia spends a lot of time at the bottom of the sea, the same as Kyogre. Which of the two would prevail in a battle for control over the oceans?

Git gud Lugia

Kyogre wins, due to Primal Reversion and the fact that it induces rain.

pkmin3033

621 - DRUDDIGON

600px-621Druddigon.png

"It warms its body by absorbing sunlight with its wings. When its body temperature falls, it can no longer move."

Ruddi hell! Today's Pokemon of the Day is Druddigon! Alas, poor Druddigon. Introduced in Gen V, it has since been consigned to obscurity in lower-level tiers; useful but unnoticed, the only Dragon-type in the long, sordid history of Dragon types to get hardly any attention whatsoever. But with no evolution or pre-evolution (making it the only Dragon type not a Legendary not to have this) and the lowest base stat of all fully-evolved dragon-types, it's not too surprising. Loosely based on the agama lizard, Druddigon just can't seem to catch a break. Druddigon has made several anime appearances however, under the ownership of several prominent trainers - include Drayden - and a shiny one even appeared, where it was calmed by Clair. Dragon Gym Leaders, if nobody else, seem to think it's a worthwhile Pokemon!

Share your opinion, memories, and experiences of Druddigon! As well as the general questions in the first post of this topic, here are some fun things to think about:

• What do you think it would take for Druddigon to get the same sort of attention other Dragon-types have received?
  • Druddigon races through tunnels formed by Excadrill and Onix...what do you suppose happens when it encounters one?
  • Given Druddigon's accessibility in the Unova games, did you use one in your team?

Adam Levine

Years
What do you think it would take for Druddigon to get the same sort of attention other Dragon-types have received?

A Mega and some new moves for it to use.

Druddigon races through tunnels formed by Excadrill and Onix...what do you suppose happens when it encounters one?

621.png
: Yo sup mah dood
095.png
: Wat r u doin here dad der is trespasser
208.png
: I WILL DESTROY U

Given Druddigon's accessibility in the Unova games, did you use one in your team?

No, but I like it.

On another note, my brother (if he still likes Pokémon) loves Druddigon. It's his favorite Pokémon.

Years
While it makes sense theoretically, I've never actually had a problem with Lugia being part-Psychic (much like Groudon being part-Ground), since it would create a type advantage otherwise.

What did you think of Shadow Lugia in Pokemon XD? Is this something you'd like to see again in future titles?
Even though I've never played Pokemon XD, I love the idea of Shadow Pokemon, and wish we would see them introduced into the main series.

Did Lugia's design prompt you to choose Pokemon Silver or SoulSilver instead of Gold or HeartGold?
Even though I prefer Lugia to Ho-oh, I had to go with HeartGold for continuity sake. At least with HG, you get the added bonus of encountering Lugia at a higher level!

Given Druddigon's accessibility in the Unova games, did you use one in your team?
Actually, I did use a Druddigon in White, and it ended up being one of the unsung heroes of my team. I actually never had any intentions of using it, but since I didn't have any Water type Pokemon at the time, and Druddigon can learn Surf, it stuck around in my party, and became a solid #5/6 Pokemon.

Xertified

Shtposting is my life.
Years
What do you think it would take for Druddigon to get the same sort of attention other Dragon-types have received?

Push!!

Druddigon races through tunnels formed by Excadrill and Onix...what do you suppose happens when it encounters one?

"Sup Dawg."

Yes, in competitive battling only.

pkmin3033

489 - PHIONE

600px-489Phione.png

"It drifts in warm seas. It always returns to where it was born, no matter how far it may have drifted."

E.T. Phione home. Today's Pokemon of the Day is Phione! An odd - yet painfully adorable - Pokemon, Phione is the only Pokemon that can be obtained by breeding a Mythical Pokemon; Manaphy. It cannot evolve into Manaphy, or produce Manaphy eggs. Because of this, and its low base stats, it's debatable as to whether it is actually a Mythical Pokemon itself or not. Asking the official site didn't help matters either; after denying and then hastily confirming it when asked, the whole section of the site was taken down with its restructuring. Guess they don't know either. Unsurprisingly, Phione is mediocre is lower tiers, and a far cry from its progenitor in terms of usefulness. Phione has only had one appearance in the anime, where several appeared at once, although one in particular stole the spotlight for skirt-chasing Dawn's Buneary for some reason.

Share your opinion, memories, and experiences of Phione! As well as the general questions in the first post of this topic, here are some fun things to think about:

• So, what do you think - IS Phione a Mythical Pokemon?
  • Which do you find cuter - Phione or Manaphy?

Adam Levine

Years
So, what do you think - IS Phione a Mythical Pokemon?

In my opinion, Phione is half-mythical. That's all I have to say.

pkmin3033

104 - CUBONE

104Cubone.png

"Because it never removes its skull helmet, no one has ever seen this Pokémon's real face."

One is the loneliest number that you'll ever do... Today's Pokemon of the Day is Cubone! Called the Lonely Pokemon due to its tendency to keep to itself and avoid all social contact - thereby making it the Pokemon equivalent of at least 90% of internet users - Cubone lives in a sorry state of affairs, having lost its mother far too soon. So it's tendency to avoid all social contact, and its mournful cries, are an understandable reaction. What is a bit creepier, however, is that it wears the hollowed-out skull of its dead mother constantly. Despite it's generally morbid backstory, Cubone has never really been explored in any great depth in the anime, being the Pokemon of choice for Giselle, as well as being one of the less-friendly Pokemon in Pikachu's Vacation. It has had several small cameos throughout the series.

Share your opinion, memories, and experiences of Cubone! As well as the general questions in the first post of this topic, here are some fun things to think about:

• What do you think Cubone looks like under its skull helmet?
  • How do you think Cubone got a hold of its mother's skull in the first place?

Xertified

Shtposting is my life.
Years
What do you think Cubone looks like under its skull helmet?

I am gonna be real with you, Baby Kangaskhan Theory is bullshit.

How do you think Cubone got a hold of its mother's skull in the first place?

Ask the Creepypastas.

Adam Levine

Years
What do you think Cubone looks like under its skull helmet?

Something lizard-like? (shrugs)

How do you think Cubone got a hold of its mother's skull in the first place?

104.png
: You know where I got this skull?
104.png
: It was from my dead mother.
104.png
: I ripped it out after that nasty guy killed her.
104.png
: Then, with the help of a Smeargle, I made it look nice again.
104.png
: Pretty brutal, huh?
630.png
: Oh, please.

pkmin3033

697 - TYRUNTRUM

600px-697Tyrantrum.png

"Thanks to its gargantuan jaws, which could shred thick metal plates as if they were paper, it was invincible in the ancient world it once inhabited."

SHARPTOOTH! Today's Pokemon of the Day is Tyruntrum! One of eleven Pokemon designed by Hitoshi Ariga, a long-time illustrator of the Pokemon TCG, Tyruntrum is, unsurprisingly, another fossil Pokemon, introduced alongside Aurorus in Generation VI. Despite being yet another Rock-type fossil, Tyruntrum is the first to be part-Dragon, and the only Pokemon to date with this type combination. With access to Head Smash, Outrage, and Superpower, it's not difficult to guess what this Pokemon was designed to do in the game. In the anime, Tyruntrum has only appeared once, in a standard episode about fossil Pokemon that have been revived by scientists and, predictably, stolen by Team Rocket for nefarious purposes.

Share your opinion, memories, and experiences of Tyruntrum! As well as the general questions in the first post of this topic, here are some fun things to think about:

• Every Fossil Pokemon is part-Rock type: do you think this suits Tyruntrum? What other type would you give it instead if given the opportunity?
  • Did Tyruntrum's design or typing prompt you to choose the Jaw Fossil in Pokemon X/Y?

Xertified

Shtposting is my life.
Years
Every Fossil Pokemon is part-Rock type: do you think this suits Tyruntrum? What other type would you give it instead if given the opportunity?

Mega Evolve?

Did Tyruntrum's design or typing prompt you to choose the Jaw Fossil in Pokemon X/Y?

I mean, it is a dinosaur so...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back