• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

about the upcoming Nintendo Switch reveal event.......

Years
  • Should I really get Pokémon Sun version if the Nintendo Switch will be having a blowout event on January 12th? worried about if I am to get it for christmas, or if I should wait.

Years
  • But how? Game freak did say that they were making a Pokémon game for the Nintendo Switch and a Pokémon game for the Switch is rumored to come out in the matter of 8 months after Pokémon Sun releases, so I'm not sure about the longevity of this gen.

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    Yeah, but the Switch is a hybrid system so that's why I'm worried. Is it really gonna be Game Freak who makes the next Pokémon Game for the Nintendo switch?

We don't know yet whether GF will make the next game or not. If I had to hazard a guess, I would say no, because of late, new systems have started with spin-off Pokemon games (made by other companies) rather than main-series games. Plus, with the release of Sun and Moon in November, I doubt GF is far enough along on a Switch project to release it yet. If the Switch does turn out to be the next generation handheld (in addition to console), then I expect to see a GF-made Pokemon game (or pair of games) for it, but not for another year or two. I would think 2018 at the earliest, but that's just a guess.

I would pick up Sun and Moon for now. There won't be another generation for a while. Plus, just because there's a new system doesn't mean that the old system isn't worth playing anymore. If it's a budget issue, there's also a pretty big gap between Sun/Moon and the Switch release (four months or so), so there's no reason why you couldn't pick up both the new games and a Switch at release. And I doubt the Switch will port Sun and Moon; I see them focusing on Wii U game ports for now.

Personally, I'd love to see a Colosseum/XD sequel on the Switch. I doubt it will happen, but one can dream...

Z25

Team Player
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Aug 27, 2023
    Don't worry about it. Game Freak hates DLC. Considering ports are like DLC, they are definitely not going to risk porting Sun and Moon over.

If anything Gen 8 will launch on the switch, and before that it will be spinoffs.

Years
  • I may as well for the mean time. I'm probably gonna have Pokémon Sun as my final 3DS game before the Nintendo Switch event helps me on my decision to get the Nintendo Switch or not then. It's just the worry of me owning the game for not long enough before the Nintendo Switch mainline Pokémon Releases based on the rumors!

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
    Years
  • If it's of any truth, I am someone whom buy at least one of the main game in every generation (And it's third game) as well as one of the possible remakes.

I'll still buy my Moon and enjoy my 7th generation-- The Switch version would probably be a remake/ the 8th generation anyway.

Years
  • Well I guess I'll get Sun version to pass the time until the switch event. Thanks for all you guys' help, I'll probably need this new Pokémon to keep me prepped for the Switch Event on January 12 anyways. Can we close the thread now?

Migit78

Pokemon Master
    Years
  • You can't. The Pokemon Company are publishers, not developers. So who knows who they're going to partner with for the next Pokemon game on the Switch, really?

All TPC's word means is that they'll partner with someone to make the next Pokemon game. Who it is, we don't know.

I vote Bethesda, give us the game we all want!
    Even if nothing else decent is release on the Switch they'd get my money with the release of that game

Back