• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Rated E For Everyone

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    just like your mom

What do you think about the ESRB rating system? Has a game ever received a rating that you disagreed with, and why? In terms of preventing children from getting their hands on M-rated content, do you think the ESRB system does a fair job of letting parents know what the game contains?

Feel free to discuss anything else related to the rating system.

Years
  • just like your mom
    excUSE ME

I don't have a problem with ESRB rating system personally. The only thing I think is strange is the E10+ rating. It seems unnecessary in most cases, like LEGO Star Wars II is E10+ and that is very much an E game. It does affect my job though, since I work at GameStop and I've had to stop kids from buying M rated games a few times now. In terms of doing a good job letting parents know about the game, I think it's fine. Most parents only care about certain types of content (gore, nudity, etc), and those types of content are usually listed for each game.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • Let this sink in to our craniums:
    persona3ds2.jpg

Yep. Persona Q is definitely a game that isn't for kids. Its in the same category as that of Corpse Party, Shin Megami Tensei 4, and Senran Kagura.

As far as I'm concerned, the whole "M" rating thing isn't just something to tell concerned buyers coughcoughparentscough that this game is going to contain loads family unfriendly content but there are games out there that cover some really mature themes that obviously kids are not prepared for or are too young and ignorant to take seriously such as those in the Persona Games.

Just remembering last year, on the day of May 14, i visited the video game store to buy my own copy of Doom 2016, and there was a kid who was asking his dad if he could get Doom as well. The Dad, not knowing what Doom is all about (because he isn't a real man) tried to talk to the store staff regarding the game and it was pretty cute watching the dad, the kid, and the store staff talk things over on why the kid can't get his copy of Doom. Me being a Man and a Half, I grabbed the last copy of Doom in that store, paid with some $$$$$s, held my copy gloriously, and smiled at the kid who never got his copy of the game >: D

TheRose

Youtube Lets Player/Twitch Streamer
    Years
    • Age 34
    • NJ
    • Seen Apr 18, 2024
    personally in this generation I don't think the esrb even matters. Parents buy whatever games kids want regardless of the rating. I.e. the parent who bought their 11 yr old GTA V and found a baggy of meth in the case. yeah cuz that kid shoulda gotten GTA V to begin with according to the ratings board.

Years
  • ^

It's just for legal reasons and stuff really, like at 15 I went into a GAME store and bought an 18 rated game, the guy at the till didn't even care.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    honestly most of the time ratings don't even matter. Sure, a 9 year old or someone who is SUPER sensitive shouldn't be looking at explicit sexual content, but imo violence isn't that bad in games and most of the people in my class are mature enough to play M rated games.

Back