• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Scripting Question] Prof can ask where player is from.

Years
    Not sure if this should be under another category, sorry if it's the wrong one.

I just want to add an extra personalization prompt in the intro. After asking what your name is, the professor will ask "Where are you from?" and the player can type in their answer. Any idea on how to do this? I'm pretty new to this whole thing.

Last edited:

WolfPP

Spriter/ Pixel Artist
    Years
    Not sure if this should be under eventing questions, sorry if it's the wrong category.

I just want to add an extra personalization prompt in the intro. After asking what your name is, the professor will ask "Where are you from?" and the player can type in their answer. Any idea on how to do this? I'm pretty new to this whole thing.

In case the answer will impact something in the game? If not, notice how the script works when the player names the character (if you do not know, just go to the "Intro" Map and double click on the upper left corner, you will read all the history the event does).
    Now if the answer will impact some event within the history of your game, you will have to tinker with a few more sticks.

Years
    It's not going to impact anything significantly, other than that an NPC might mention where you were from every once in a while. (Kind of like the \PN command)

I've looked over the event history though, can't seem to figure anything out.

Years
    It's not going to impact anything significantly, other than that an NPC might mention where you were from every once in a while. (Kind of like the \PN command)

I've looked over the event history though, can't seem to figure anything out.
    (broken link removed) have what you are looking for. But instead of password check, you need to store it inside a variable.

Code:
    [B]hometown=pbEnterText("", 0, 10, "")[/B]
    [B]$game_variables[XX]=hometown[/B]

The first line is not really necessary, as you can just use the message event command.
    The line you want to really pay attention are the other two. The second line is where you input your text, and the third line is where you store your text inside a variable. Just change XX to whatever variable you are not using (those are the variable from "change variable" event command). As long as you don't change the variable you are using for it, it will be stored forever.

Notice that differently from the post I linked above, yours use a single = symbol, while in the post linked it uses a ==. This is because in your case you want something to be equal to another thing, and the one linked wants to check if 1 equals to 2.

Last edited:
    Back