• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Spriting learning curve

Years
  • Hello!
    I am new to spriting, but not to art in general, so I was wondering how is the learning curve for spriting, before I'd just jump in and try.
    Is it difficult to get a hold of the basics? How much did it take you to become a very good spriter?
    I'm looking forward to your answers

Inferna

hello stranger, i'm a disaster
    Years
  • I started spriting about 5 years ago (wow o_o) and like you I wasn't new to art.
    There is no learning curve, it just depends on how much you challenge yourself.
    Start off with recolours first to get the basics down (shading, outlining and colour combos) and then when you're confident move onto splicing/mixing Pokemon together. There is no point trying to jump in by doing scratch spriting, you will find it very hard.
    Once you can mix properly (and this is just using copy and pasting), start scratching parts on instead and build your way up to scratching full pixel arts.
    For mixing make sure the parts are blended and look like they are joined, so keep any shading in line with the light source. If you copy flip (which is fine at first but don't rely on it!) be sure and make your shading match up.
    So yeah start off at get the basics down c: if you need any advice I'm happy to help!

Back