• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Can't win Wi-fi battles. Please help!

shadowchick

The Reaper Empress trainer
Years
    • Seen Oct 24, 2011
    I've competed in random battles and wi-fi train battles, but I can't win.....

My team is

Minipete (Emolga)
    Aqua (Simipour)
    Togekiss
    Mina (Minccino)
    Happy (Blissey)
    Forrest (Serperior)

Please give me advice on battling......

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    You should expand on that a bit more (: What's each of their movesets, and EVs if you EV trained them? Abilities, Natures, and items?

shadowchick

The Reaper Empress trainer
    Years
    • Seen Oct 24, 2011

Here they are:

Minipete (Emolga)
    Nature: Lax
    Ability: Static
    Moves: Discharge, Shock Wave, Aerial Ace, Acrobatics

Aqua (Simipour)
    Nature: Bashful
    Ability: Gluttony
    Moves: Waterfall, Acrobatics, Surf, Dive

Togekiss
    Ability: Hustle
    Moves: Shadow Ball, Fly, Ancient Power, Echoed Voice

Mina (Minccino)
    Nature: Impish
    Ability: Cute Charm
    Moves: Hyper Voice, Tail Slap, Dig, Thunderbolt

Happy (Blissey)
    Nature: Calm
    Ability: Serene Grace
    Moves: Thunderbolt, Ice Beam, Earthquake, Egg Bomb

Forrest (Serperior)
    Ability: Overgrow
    Moves: Aerial Ace, Cut, Giga Drain, Grass Pledge
    [/COLOR][/FONT]

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 16, 2011
    It looks like a lot of the issue is just inexperience. Absolutely everyone starts right there with you, so don't feel let down because of it. In no time, you'll catch up and start pounding away at those Wifi battles. To be absolutely fair, everyone loses a few even at the best of their performance, it's learning from the opponent that will set you ahead the next time around. What sort of builds are getting those hits in? Was it really their strategy or was your head not in the game that time around? Are you familiar with popular builds enough to predict what your opponent will do? Answering these questions honestly and working to fix them will help you a great deal.

That said, there are a lot of tools for improving the baseline performance of your Pokemon. This site actually lists a very good guidehttp://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=123757 under Fourth Generation Compiled Guides. Just read up a bit and tackle the core of your team to improve their natures/stats/IVs/EVs. If you need a Pokemon with Pokerus, PM me if I'm online or shop around the trade threads.

Remember, it's a GAME when all is said and done. As long as everyone's having fun, you're doing it right.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    It looks like a lot of the issue is just inexperience. Absolutely everyone starts right there with you, so don't feel let down because of it. In no time, you'll catch up and start pounding away at those Wifi battles. To be absolutely fair, everyone loses a few even at the best of their performance, it's learning from the opponent that will set you ahead the next time around. What sort of builds are getting those hits in? Was it really their strategy or was your head not in the game that time around? Are you familiar with popular builds enough to predict what your opponent will do? Answering these questions honestly and working to fix them will help you a great deal.

That said, there are a lot of tools for improving the baseline performance of your Pokemon. This site actually lists a very good guidehttp://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=123757 under Fourth Generation Compiled Guides. Just read up a bit and tackle the core of your team to improve their natures/stats/IVs/EVs. If you need a Pokemon with Pokerus, PM me if I'm online or shop around the trade threads.

Remember, it's a GAME when all is said and done. As long as everyone's having fun, you're doing it right.

Doomineon is absolutely right! But there are definitely big ways to make your team more reliable and make it easier to win. For example, while you're definitely free to battle with whichever Pokemon you like, there are some Pokemon that are better at battling than others. Other Pokemon are considered 'outclassed' - this means that there is another Pokemon out there that does the job much better and much more effectively, for a variety of reasons. Knowing how to perfect your Pokemon is also wonderful; EV training is very very very useful, as is having perfect or near-perfect IVs. If anything, it's really good to try to get the right nature: a lot of Pokemon like specific natures, as they give bonuses to stats they use a lot and decrease stats that they don't use a lot.

As a last note, it's really important to not use multiple moves of the same type on a Pokemon unless they have specific roles (for example, Conkeldurr runs Mach Punch for priority to hit fast things and Drain Punch to recover back health and remain sturdier). Things like Simipour's moveset can be avoided if you try to find moves that give you good coverage (for example, Acrobatics hitting Grass-types that resist Simipour's STAB, Water) rather than having three or more moves of the same type.

Years

• Here they are:

Minipete (Emolga)
    Nature: Lax
    Ability: Static
    Moves: Discharge, Shock Wave, Aerial Ace, Acrobatics

Aqua (Simipour)
    Ability: Gluttony
    Moves: Waterfall, Acrobatics, Surf, Dive

Togekiss
    Ability: Hustle
    Moves: Shadow Ball, Fly, Ancient Power, Echoed Voice

Mina (Minccino)
    Ability: Cute Charm
    Moves: Hyper Voice, Tail Slap, Dig, Thunderbolt

Happy (Blissey)
    Nature: Calm
    Ability: Serene Grace
    Moves: Thunderbolt, Ice Beam, Earthquake, Egg Bomb

Forrest (Serperior)
    Ability: Overgrow
    Moves: Aerial Ace, Cut, Giga Drain, Grass Pledge
    [/COLOR][/FONT]

Honestly, you don't need to be an expert with IVs and EVs to win at the battle subway, although I can expand if you're really interested in becoming a serious battler. I'll start with Blissey, which is an amazing Pokemon. The first thing Blissey wants is a Healing Move, preferably Softboiled [which Blissey learns at Lv. 16, so you may need to find a move relearner for that]. Next, Blissey wants to have a status inflicting move, so it can constantly heal while your Opponent suffers. I reccomend you give it Toxic, found in TM06, which you can find on Route 17. Finally, you should always switch your Blissey when you see a Pokemon that uses Physical Attacks. It may be hard to deduce, but just use your gut. Would something like Aggron use its powerful bulk to attack you, or special moves? What about Alakazam? Knowing the difference between Physical and Special attackers is an essential step on the path of learning. By the way, your Blissey has a great nature.

Next up is Emolga. While a cute Pokemon with nice typing, Emolga is inferior to Zapdos and Thundurus. If you are interested in training either Zapdos or Thundurus, you can find moveset options for Zapdos here and moveset options for Thundurus here.

I suggest catching another Cinccino, because it's essentially useless without Technician. Once it does get Technician, however, give it moves that hit multiple times, as well as those with a base power under 60. Some moves that fill the above requirements that Cinccino learns are: Tail Slap, Bullet Seed, Rock Blast, Swift, Wake Up Slap. The first 3 of those moves will need to be taught by the move relearner, the other two are learned by its pre-evolution.

Togekiss is more useful with Serene Grace, as it can constantly cause the opponent to flinch, but that isn't to say it's not useful without Serene Grace. Firstly, I suggest you give it Air Slash over fly, since Togekiss is a Special Attacker [move relearner], Aura Sphere over Ancientpower, since Fighting is a better attacking type than Rock, Aura Sphere has more base power and it can't miss. Finally, I suggest you go with Roost [to heal] over Echoed Voice or Nasty Plot, to boost up your Special Attack.

Simipour isn't a Pokemon with much potential, but if you want to use it, that's fine by me. Firstly, it doesn't need 3 Water Moves, all it really needs for STAB is Scald. I suggest you keep Acrobatics and give it Ice Beam and Shadow Claw for mixed Coverage, then you should be good.

Finally, we have Serperior. Impish is a bad nature for Special Attackers, so we'll focus on turning it into a physical beast. Firstly, give it Coil. Coil rases Serperior's Attack, Accuracy and Speed, so that will prove useful to it. You could give it Return, which has a base 102 Power when your Pokemon has reached Max Happiness [I assume Serperior has, since it was your starter]. I'd give it Dragon Tail, too, which you should use whenever your opponent is using moves to boost stats, another action that is fundamental to master. Finally, you can give it Leaf Blade, for Powerful Physical STAB.

Last edited:
    Back