• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How do you catch mew without glitching the game?

Years
  • I just don't understand this. From what ive read theres NO way of catching mew without glitching... and the truck has been proven to be fake, and gameshark doesnt count, so how did the game developers EVER expect you to get mew?!

Aureol

Kanto/Electric-Type Enthusiast
    Years
  • I'm not sure, to be honest. If I recall correctrly, the majority of staff members weren't even aware Mew existed. If I'm right, Morimoto, after the game was finished, managed to toss Mew in because of some extra space in the game.

Events, maybe? Mew is really weird when it comes to the 1st Generation.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • In first gen, there was a glitch to get it (though I've no idea how anyone figured it out since the requirements sound fairly ridiculous). But legitimately, outside of Japan (where I hear Mew was the "prize" for filling the Pokédex), the only way to get it was via events.

And thus it's the same with every other gen so far.

Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2010
    This is how I got mine in Pokemon Yellow:

(I can't post URL's, so I suppose I have to copy/paste.)

If you have fought these trainers, the glitch won't work.

* The Youngster with a Slowpoke (Level 17) on the road to Bill's house (Route 25). He is the fourth trainer after you cross Nugget Bridge, standing directly above a female trainer and facing north.
    * The Gambler with two Poliwags and a Poliwhirl (all Level 22) between Lavender Town and Saffron City (Route 8). He is standing just east of the entrance to Saffron City, facing north toward the door of the Underground Path.

Step 1: Make sure you have a Pokémon that knows Fly. On Route 8, stand in front of the door of the Underground Path. Save your game, since saving after this point will disrupt the procedure.

Step 2: Walk down one step and immediately press Start. If you succeed, the menu will pop up before the Gambler "sees" you. Go to the Pokémon list and fly to Cerulean City.

The Gambler will see you just before you fly away.

Your Start button will no longer function. Go north across Nugget Bridge and head east until you find the trainer in this picture (he's the Youngster described above).

Step 3: If you walk right up to the Youngster, the game will lock up, so you'll have to let him see you and walk up to you. Defeat his Slowpoke (afterwards, your Start button will work again), then fly to Lavender Town.

Step 4: Head west into Route 8.
    As soon as you enter the narrow path, the menu will pop up by itself. Press B to exit... ...and look who it is! Mew will be at Level 7 and its only attack will be Pound. Pokéball, go!

It might take you few tries to get the hang of flying away before the Gambler sees you, but this is the only glitch I know of to work.

Years
    • Seen Feb 12, 2022
    I just don't understand this. From what ive read theres NO way of catching mew without glitching... and the truck has been proven to be fake, and gameshark doesnt count, so how did the game developers EVER expect you to get mew?!

They didn't expect you to - AFAIK you only need 150 to complete the Pokedex.

Spikey-Eared Pichu

Pichu-pi!
    Years
  • Mew, even if caught, won't count as a Dex entry in Gen 1. Yeah, he'll be there, but if you speak to the Game Developer, or whatever his name is, in Celadon and you have 150 Pokemon, with Mew as one of them, he'll still treat it as if the Dex is incomplete. Mew was through in for God knows what reason, but all we know is that it's there. Maybe Mew was added simply as an extra little Easter Egg? Maybe the glitch to get it involving the Youngster and Gambler was all pre-programmed so that one day anyone with a Pokemon R/B/G/Y would be able to get their hands on Mew, we don't know.

Andrew McKenzie

Supporting Pokemon Since 1999
    Years
  • Mew, even if caught, won't count as a Dex entry in Gen 1. Yeah, he'll be there, but if you speak to the Game Developer, or whatever his name is, in Celadon and you have 150 Pokemon, with Mew as one of them, he'll still treat it as if the Dex is incomplete. Mew was through in for God knows what reason, but all we know is that it's there. Maybe Mew was added simply as an extra little Easter Egg? Maybe the glitch to get it involving the Youngster and Gambler was all pre-programmed so that one day anyone with a Pokemon R/B/G/Y would be able to get their hands on Mew, we don't know.

Er... Mew DOES have a Dex entry in Gen 1.
    Though it won't count towards the 150 Pokemon Diploma thing.
    Which makes sense since in the Japanese version of the game meant that if you showed the guy 150 Pokemon, he was supposed to give you Mew as a reward.

Mew was/is an event-only Pokemon in the third generation and fourth generation.

It was unavailable in the second generation unless you cheat it in or trade it from Gen 1 after cheating/glitching to get it there.

Capturing Mew using the Mew Glitch is simple enough to do and won't mess up your game.
    Capturing it with gameshark/action replay won't mess up your game either.

That said...

Mew was a VERY little known secret back when the original japanese red and green came out. Not even Nintendo knew that Shigeki Morimoto had programmed it into the game.

It should be noted that Mew was available as an event-only Pokemon in Generation 1.
    So that's the only legal way to get it.

So for those saying that there was no way to get it legally, you are incorrect.
    It WAS an event that was given away to red/blue/green/yellow players at a Nintendo Event and was given to players by direct trade using the old link cables.

So as of now, there is no legal way to obtain it in the first, second and third generations as events for those generations are over.

It was available for the fourth generation through promotional giveaways such as the Tenth Anniversary (of Gold and Silver) Mew given away in Japan and over Wi-Fi back in November (11th to 23rd) 2009.

The only currently available legal way left to obtain Mew now is to trade it over after you receive it in a trade with Hayley from My Pokemon Ranch after transferring 999 Pokemon to My Pokemon Ranch.

Or if you use Pokesav to load the wondercard of an event-only Mew into your game.
    This will come across as perfectly legal and can be used in competitive battling (if it's within the rules to use Pokemon like Mew) since the game will just recognise Mew as having being received in the event and nothing else.

So yeah, to answer your question...
    The only way you could receive Mew in Generation 1 was in a Nintendo event.

Years
    • Seen May 8, 2010
    I've actually heard of similar problems from my friends. If anyone can clarify, it'd be appreciated. :)

Last edited:

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years
  • In first gen, there was a glitch to get it (though I've no idea how anyone figured it out since the requirements sound fairly ridiculous). But legitimately, outside of Japan (where I hear Mew was the "prize" for filling the Pokédex), the only way to get it was via events.

And thus it's the same with every other gen so far.

It's wasn't random, and the trainers they picked to fight were arbitrary. They first hacked the game to find out Mew's hidden hexadecimal game code and found trainers that could mess with the game's memory system to make it think it was fighting a Mew. It could have really been any trainer as long as they had the right associated codes, but the glitch developers picked the most convenient. Ridiculous? Sort of. Easy to figure out? If you know what you're doing.

Years
    • Seen May 8, 2010
    O_________O

Wow...I didn't know there was another one of you on here. EEP! I may have the remedy that.

Sssoooorrryyyyyy....-__________- *slinks away blusshing* meep. :3

Back