• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

A word of advice - For webmasters

Shining Arcanine

Senior Super Moderator
Years
  • I just spent the last 30 minutes organizing my favorites menu and I have something to say. When you create titles for your webpages, be sure to make them apply to the page rather than sticking your site's name (unless it is the index) or what your site is about in it. I would think that the title tag was meant to give the page a name for when it is added to the favorites not to optimize the site for search engines. Not to mention I recall reading an article that stated google now has antioptimization technology that will pull you off the google search listing if you optimized your page for a high rank. Here is an example of what I mean:

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/longhorn_task-based_ui.asp

The title tags contain "Paul Thurrott's SuperSite for Windows How it works Inductive user interfaces." While this helps him become popular in search listings, it requires that I rename my shortcut to a name that applies to the darn page. For example, in my shortcuts, the name for that page is "Inductive user interfaces." It would have saved me the 5-10 seconds that it took to rename that if he had named it that in the first place. Doesn't sound like a pain? Then imagine doing this for 200 webpages. On top of bookmarking and organizing them, I would need to rename them. Assuming that I am bookmarking 200 pages and renamed each one takes 10 seconds, it will take me an additional 33 minutes and 33 seconds to bookmark all of them if I was to rename them which I will have to do judging by how difficult it is to navigate a favorites list full of names that are 90% junk.

You might be saying "What does doing this do for me?" Well for one thing, it makes Shining Arcanine happy if he bookmarks different pages on your site. It also makes visitors who like to bookmark things happier. Did I mention google ranks pages that have the search term mutiple times higher? Google assumes that when a page mentions the same thing over and over again, it is more revelent to the search term. If a page on your site is about PokeRUS for example, and you have only have PokeRUS in your title tags (having only the search term in the title tags probably scores a few more points in google than having a ton of terms that contain the search term, however that is a theory) and mention it several times in your webpage, chances are Google will return it when someone searches for info on PokeRUS. If a visitor finds what they are looking for on your site, chances are they might come again. Putting a ton of things in your title tag might bring you up more in searches but your site might not have the specific thing people are looking for. That is probably why I see low quality sites whenever I search for Pokemon Websites in Google. For example, a site comes up with a pokedex that a fraction of a fraction of the data that that Pokemon Fan Universe's pokedex (part of it is still online at lycos) had. Quite Frankly, I like to see sites that actually have content.

That was just a thought that I had after I rediscovered the usefulness of bookmarking webpages after a few years of memorizing urls instead of bookmarking them. If you think I went insane, it is probably my fever talking (as of posting this I am still sick). And yes, I know I might be wasting my breath but someone who reads this might just be the person who will be running a super pokemon site in a few years.

Geometric-sama

The Manly Man of Steel
    Years
  • Hm, in my titles I have the name of the actual page, but I also have "Crest of Hope: Patamon's World" before it. I like to have an "identifying clause" on the title, so people can actually remember which site the page is from.

Back