• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tricks/tips to draw pokemon?

Years
  • Is there a secret/tip to certain ways pokemon are drawn? Probably the easiest to draw would be Growlithe/Pikachu/Abra or something, and the hardest to draw would be Rayquaza/Ferrothorn/Xerneas/Dialga or something. I can't really explain further, but I am curious about some styles and stuff I could use to draw better Pokemon, because all I can draw that I have perfected are Purrloin, Growlithe and Pikachu.

Years
  • What I can tell u 4 Poke'mon like Abra/Gengar, find some objects in your house that has a shape similar to a Poke'mon (Let's say a banana for Abras tail). Trace the banana until u can draw it small enough for Abra's body.

Years
  • I think all it comes down to is practice and more practice. A lot of artists will tell you this because it's true and it works but it takes time and effort. There really is no specific secret or tip other than getting familiar with what you are drawing (the design and idea) like where there arms, legs, wings are located, or what animal or object they are designed from, etc.

also, getting familiar with shapes kind of like what Master of Memes said.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Not to play the echo game, but practice is key here. Familiarizing yourself with the shapes, anatomy, features of a Pokemon and making those things inherently your own will always produce a unique take on an already recognizable Pokemon.

There are also different styles you could draw your Pokemon in, but trying to emulate Sugimori I think subtracts from the artist experience (there are exceptions, of course!). Personally, I'd be more interested in seeing what your Gyarados or whatever Pokemon looks like, not the carbon copy of DW art, yeah? Practice, experimentation, and patience are the best tools to making truly wonderful Pokemon art.

Back