• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[gen 3] Whats the average sleep/confusion time?

Years
    • Seen Jun 22, 2022
    Example: Do pokemon usually sleep 3 turns? Usually confused for 4 turns?

On gen 1, I saw that a college website tested out sleep time. If someone did that for gen 3 too, link me please!

Years
    • Age 29
    • he/him/his
    • Seen Feb 8, 2024
    Hey! Not sure if you found the resources you need yet, but here is some info:

Confusion lasts 2-5 turns. I don't think this has changed across generations. It's important to note that if a Pokemon is unable to execute an attack for another reason, such as recharging or full paralysis, this turn will not count towards the number of confusion turns.

Sleep in gen 3 lasts 2-5 turns, unless it's from Rest or if the Pokemon has the Early Bird ability. Early Bird will halve the number of sleep turns and possibly cause the Pokemon to wake up immediately. If a Pokemon uses Sleep Talk but does not "burn" an actual turn of sleep (i.e., not attacking), its sleep counter will reset upon switching out.

EDIT: And to answer your specific question, the duration is random. The Pokemon has the same probability to have any one of the durations. So the average sleep time or confusion time would be 3.5 turns.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 22, 2022
    Hey! Not sure if you found the resources you need yet, but here is some info:

Confusion lasts 2-5 turns. I don't think this has changed across generations. It's important to note that if a Pokemon is unable to execute an attack for another reason, such as recharging or full paralysis, this turn will not count towards the number of confusion turns.

Sleep in gen 3 lasts 2-5 turns, unless it's from Rest or if the Pokemon has the Early Bird ability. Early Bird will halve the number of sleep turns and possibly cause the Pokemon to wake up immediately. If a Pokemon uses Sleep Talk but does not "burn" an actual turn of sleep (i.e., not attacking), its sleep counter will reset upon switching out.

EDIT: And to answer your specific question, the duration is random. The Pokemon has the same probability to have any one of the durations. So the average sleep time or confusion time would be 3.5 turns.

It feels like 5 tiurns of sleep is less likely than 2 turns of sleep, but it could be that i noticed 2 turn sleep more than 5 turn.

Years
    • Age 29
    • he/him/his
    • Seen Feb 8, 2024
    It feels like 5 tiurns of sleep is less likely than 2 turns of sleep, but it could be that i noticed 2 turn sleep more than 5 turn.
    It's possible that it's more nuanced, though the information I found on bulbapedia suggests equal probability of all sleep durations. 5 turns may seem to be less likely as eventually your opponent will probably KO you if you try to stay in and burn all sleep turns, especially if you're facing a setup sweeper

Years
    • Seen Apr 8, 2021
    Sleep and confusion both last 2-5 turns in Gen 3. Sleep turns are burnt when you use a move while asleep, and the timer reset is only a mechanic introduced in gen 5(and was removed subsequently) and doesn't apply to gen 3. I.e, if you've burned a turn of sleep and then switch out, the game keeps track of it and your mon will remain asleep for one less turn once it's switched back in.

Back