• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Freedom

Kyther

Pokemon Freedom Developer
Years
  • Pokemon Freedom

Created with:
    Unity 3D - (Game Engine)
    C# - (Programming/Scripting Language)
    Blender - (Assets, Rigging and Animation)​

Introduction
    Pokemon Freedom is a revamp of my previous project here, now in glorious 3D! In this to be game, you will take control of various Pokemon that inhabit a small town called Ponario.
    This game will be breaking the normal Pokemon game formula and following a "similar" (used loosely) format to that of the PokePark games, and a story heavy game.

Back Story
    Pokemon have grown intelligent to the point where they now basically live like humans.

One morning, a small town was invaded by Weavile and his evil forces. The townspeople put up a great fight, but their efforts weren't enough. With only their strongest left still standing and Weavile's main forces still standing strong, it looked hopeless. Through their combined efforts, they managed to fend off all but three. Weavile himself, and his two prime henchmen, Drapion and Vigoroth. Apart from the town's leader, Ponyta, the remaining warriors left were all exhausted. Weavile uttered the word and they were all taken out. Leaving only them and Ponyta.
    Throughout this time, the sky had been progressively getting darker. Suddenly a flash of lightning appeared, temporarily blinding the four of them. After recovering, a shadowy figure stood next to the group. Weavile ordered the attack, but before either of his henchmen could move the figure took them out. "Lucario", Weavile muttered. Realising that it was indeed Lucario, Weavile attacked Ponyta in rage and knocked her out. Lucario and Weavile then had a fierce battle though, Lucario being a Guardian defeated Weavile.
    Weavile fled in embarrassment, and swore to have his revenge.

Upon awaking, Ponyta could barely remember the events of what had just happened. However, she could remember a figure that resembled the legendary Guardian Lucario, and had decided that based on those events, that the town would be renamed after its hero. Ponario.

Plot
    The main game takes place a few years after the events of Weavile's attack on Ponario. You will be taking control of its various townspeople to progress through the story, complete quests and venture around the region. Without spoiling the story too much, the main goal of the game will be to stop Weavile's evil plans from becoming a reality.

Features
    - 3D world and characters
    - Take control of Pokemon
    - Real time battles
    - Have the ability to wander the world either by land, sky and where possible water
    - Train your selection of available Pokemon
    - Unlock new playable Pokemon as you progress through the story, complete events and quests

Plans / Progress
    I am still currently working on the majority of the ground work for the game, which I am taking on in stages. Which not all are completely planned out, but neither do they need to be.

STAGE 1: Setup
    Setting the foundations for the core mechanics and features that need to be implemented first.
    - Getting a simple ground character setup
    - Simple interactions with objects and NPCs.
    - Basic battle system
    - Simple menu
    - Get job done AI
    [progress-green=25][/progress-green]

STAGE 2: Expansion
    Once the foundations for the core mechanics and features are set, I will be able to expand upon them as well as add in anything that wasn't a necessity during that phase. There is a potential for a demo to be released during this stage. However, this wouldn't be a extensive demo, but it would allow for something that others can get into and get a feel for the game. Essentially a pre-alpha (or along those lines). It's also a good time for me to get some feedback.
    - Addition of controlling multiple characters (land, sea, air)
    - Implementing the questing and battle systems
    - AI becomes complex
    - Addition of other features and mechanics

STAGE 3: Assets
    Possibly a very quick, or very slow stage. This where I would be implementing a lot of the different characters, locations that will be required to continue further on.

STAGE 4: Gameplay
    This is where the real progress will start to happen. I will be able to begin on the game's content itself, implementing the story and gameplay.

Open this for a visual view of where everything is currently sitting, and what is being worked on.
    STAGE 1 Overview
    Spoiler:

Screenshots
    (Eventually there will be images here)

Videos
    My introduction video to the game. A very basic explanation of what this game will be.

Credits
    3D Models:
    Random Talking Bush (Umbreon)

Any form of help is very welcome. Just give me a message and I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Last edited:

Kyther

Pokemon Freedom Developer
    Years
  • It's been far too long.

I am back guys. Three months after the initial post and one month since my last video on YouTube.
    I just want to say that I am sorry that I haven't been active in this thread. Now, I've made this sort of promise in the past but this time will be different. I will be keeping this thread up-to date with the current on goings with this project. As I have a plan. (Also in the first post)

I am splitting up the development process into 4 stages.
    Setup - Setting the foundations for the core mechanics and features
    Expansion - Expanding upon the core mechanics and features as well as add in anything that wasn't a necessity during that phase. Potential of a pre-alpha demo
    Assets - Implementation of a lot of the characters, locations, animations
    Gameplay - Begin on the game's content itself, implementing the story and gameplay.

There is no set time frame as of yet for how long each stage will take, although they pretty much are in shortest to longest order. But that depends on how much is going into this demo.

Now, I have used the word demo. Why? Isn't this a game? Well yes, but no. Let me explain.

Yes, it was originally going to be a full game and can still be (and I would like it to). However, for the size that the full game would eventually be, I think it is in my best interests to first develop a prequel "demo". I don't really like to call it a demo, but that is essentially what it would be. Its content will be important in establishing the world lore and history for the "main" game, mainly focusing on Ponario and it's past residents, whist still giving a taste of the world. Geez, I'm giving you guys sneak-peeks already. I must be more careful.

So, with that out of the way I can give some more details on what I have been working on.

My main focus has been getting a basic playable character working, and for that I have Umbreon. Why? Well, I can't tell you that unfortunately. But since I didn't have a strict working schedule, I've been making progress on other parts as well.
    I have a bare bones talking system implemented which is apart of the interaction system. This will include talking to NPCs, interacting with objects/items and a have a link with the quest system, which is also in its beginnings.
    But as for the game's combat, it's going to be worked on a little bit later on. I need a few other things setup before setting that up.

Unfortunately, I have yet to add in images to the main post. They will be coming within the next few days. I need to polish up a bit before I can get those. But with that...

This brings a close to this rather long text update. Sorry for the long delay. They won't be this long ever again (well, at least for a long time anyway).

Back