• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Bullet Hell Games

Emilia1234

Relapsed
Years
    • Seen Mar 8, 2013
    Does anyone else enjoy danmaku/bullet-hell games? I was introduced to the genre by Touhou, but am more a secondary fan of Touhou now; my favourite of those demented pixel-dodgers has to be Mushihime-sama Futari on the X360, as comparatively easy as it is.

KriegStein

Nuclear Reactor
    Years
  • Wow newer though this thread would be here. :D Yes. I love touhou series and other bullet hell games. And every other hard game as well. I like a good challenge at times. :D

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • I was also introduced to the industry by Touhou as well, and Touhou remains to be my favorite largely because of the music, which is godly. Touhou has some of the best (and consistently great) music out of any game series I like, and as such, it really adds to the experience. I've beaten Perfect Cherry Blossom, Embodiment of Scarlet Devil, and I've gotten to the boss of Ten Desires and Mountain of Faith.

Other than that, I have the eXceed series, which is a lot of fun. I have the Gundemonium collection, which is an interesting side romp. There's Trouble Witches Neo on the 360 which is also worth checking out. I'm not fond of their developers, especially since they call Touhou "garbage" despite the fact that they clearly draw influence from them, but I don't hold their game responsible for that. Exception and Astebreed are also some nice indie danmaku (Astebreed especially), and as for the West, Jamestown is definitely worth checking out as well.

Has anyone tried Akai Katana? I need to know if it's worth checking out.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I play the first five Tōhō Project games sometimes (although the first isn't a danmaku game as such) since the files are small, so easy to keep around; and Fraxy, if that counts. The customisation of Fraxy is nice, but I haven't put any time into it, unfortunately. Honestly, I'm not really into old-school genres, probably since I grew up during the time that 3D games became mainstream, but they're a nice novelty to keep.

Patrick

Ya'll Are Weird
    Years
  • Yes, they're my favorite type of game! Well, SHMUPs in general are probably my favorite genre, but that does include a good danmaku.

Of course, I haven't actually played many of them. I've just purchase a few more games from Cave recently, they should be shipping soon. Even then, I don't have my consoles on me, so I won't be playing them until Spring Break.

@machomuu Akai Katana is one of the ones I ordered. If you can wait for a month for an opinion, I can give it to you then, but as of now, I'm in school. I heard, though, that it's one of those games you have to understand the mechanics of, otherwise it feels run of the mill and you'd be missing the point. I'm more curious about the music. I still feel like Deathsmiles (1) is the best Cave soundtrack to date.

Emilia1234

Relapsed
    Years
    • Seen Mar 8, 2013
    Akai Katana is one of the first games I have lined up to play when I get home. I'm not sure whether or not it's arrived yet, but I'm sure it'll be waiting for me by the time that I go home.

machomuu said:
    Strike Witches Neo

Ooh, there's a Strike Witches game? This, I must play.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • Akai Katana is one of the first games I have lined up to play when I get home. I'm not sure whether or not it's arrived yet, but I'm sure it'll be waiting for me by the time that I go home.

Ooh, there's a Strike Witches game? This, I must play.
    Ah, sorry, I meant Trouble Witches Neo.

...That's not to say that there aren't Strike Witches games, there are some for the DS and they're pretty good.

...If you know Japanese. Sadly, they're exclusive to the east.

Sir Codin

I enjoy playing Ikaruga whenever I feel masochistic or when I need a good laugh at how badly I suck at games like this.

I haven't gotten past level 3.

Back