• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Weespotty's Wonderful Whop!

Weespotty

The girl of nature
Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2011
    Hi there! Welcome to my Whop(Shop)!
    For samples please look in my Sprites Album!
    Form:
    Weespotty, I'd like to order!
    Username:
    Wanted (A recolor,Fushion, Etc etc):
    Details:
    Other:

Years
  • Since you posted here in the main thread I'm just going to assume you're looking for feedback. Allow me the liberty of pulling some of the sprites from the album.

I believe you said this was your first scratch. Maybe you know what I'm going to say already, but I'll go ahead and say it anyway. There are certain styles of spriting where this kind of geometric sprite is okay, but if you're going for something more natural or for something pokemon-like then straight lines are something to avoid. In general you want something where all the parts aren't even and equal because perspective makes nothing look like that.

This is more of the natural shape I was talking about. A few things to keep in mind when making future sprites. The face is usually not completely centered in the middle of the head like you have it. If you want it to be looking at you then just make the eyes do that. It's like looking in a mirror and turning your head. You're not facing yourself, but you're still looking at yourself. You have better shading on this sprite. It shows direction consistently, except for the leaf tail which looks upside down. One other thing about shading is that you need to take into account things that block the light source. The 'neck' area between the head and body has highlights, but the head should be blocking some of that light and it's not. Try imagining how you think the light would fall on it. You don't always need to follow the "light from the top-left" rule so strictly on each part of the sprite if its shape doesn't warrant it.

It's a fine sprite, but you have two different styles of outlines. The top has black and the stick is very light. It's okay to use different colors for outlines, but it's a good idea to try to give them similar levels of darkness and lightness so there's more consistency throughout your sprite.

Have fun. Keep spriting.

Weespotty

The girl of nature
    Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2011
    Thanks for the advice. I'm not very good at scratched, But I've seen worse.

Back