• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How's my team?

Wya77

Average Trainer
Years
  • Seen Nov 12, 2011
I got white a few days ago, and it's AMAZING. I want to know if my team has any potential and point out any gaping holes in my defenses and what I could fill them with. I'm on my 5th gym in Driftveil City.

My current team:

Pignite lv. 29 @ Charcoal
-Tackle
-Flame Charge
-Rollout
-Arm Thrust

Ducklett lv. 24
-Aerial Ace
-Bubblebeam
-FeatherDance
-Aqua Ring

Drilbur lv. 28
-Metal Claw
-Hone Claws
-Dig
-Slash

Petilil lv. 26
-Magical Leaf
-Giga Drain
-Sleep Powder
-Synthesis

Solosis lv. 22 @ Genius Wing
-Snatch
-Hidden Power
-Light Screen
-Charm

I'm starting to give up hope on Solosis. I'm thinking of a Sigilyph to replace it. I got Ducklett to replace Tympole because it's evolutions being part ground.

deoxys121

White Kyurem Cometh
Years
First of all, I (personally) always make sure my teams have the same level throughout. Also, replacing Solosis with Sigilyph = GOOD idea. Replacing Tympole with Ducklett = BAD idea. Tympole's final form, Seismitoad, is incredibly useful due to a wide movepool available. Also, here are some recommended final movesets for the team:

Emboar
- Hammer Arm
- Flare Blitz
- Stone Edge
- Flamethrower
I've used this moveset in-game before, and it worked awesome.

Seismitoad
- Earthquake
- Surf/Hydro Pump
- Drain Punch/Focus Blast
- Rock Slide

Excadrill
- Metal Claw
- Earthquake
- Shadow Claw/X-Scissor
- Swords Dance

Lilligant
- Energy Ball
- Light Screen
- Toxic
- Petal Dance
Lilligant has a somewhat limited movepool, but we can make it work.

Sigilyph
- Psychic
- Air Slash
- Shadow Ball
- Ice Beam

For a 6th slot: Galvantula
- Thunderbolt/Electro Ball
- Bug Buzz
- Energy Ball
- Agility/Light Screen
Its base form, Joltik, can be caught in Chargestone Cave, just past Route 6 after you beat the Driftveil Gym.

Temporarily assign HMs over TM moves as necessary, as they can be forgotten in Mistralton City, and the TMs can be reused.

Wya77

Average Trainer
Years
  • Seen Nov 12, 2011
If Lilligant isn't the strongest grass type, feel free to give me suggestions.

Having 2 ground types won't be a problem?

deoxys121

White Kyurem Cometh
Years
Two ground-types isn't a problem as long as you give them varying movesets. They have secondary types that give them diversity. As far as other Grass-types go, I've used these in playthroughs before:

Ferrothorn (Grass/Steel)
- Power Whip
- Iron Head
- Payback
- Swords Dance
Base form Ferroseed found in Chargestone Cave.

Sawsbuck @ Big Root (Normal/Grass)
- Horn Leech
- Jump Kick
- Giga Impact
- Return
Base form Deerling found on Route 6.

Wya77

Average Trainer
Years
  • Seen Nov 12, 2011
I know that Ferrothorn's defense is great. But I don't know much about Sawsbuck's stats. Could it play a specific role?

deoxys121

White Kyurem Cometh
Years
Sawsbuck has a decent Attack stat, and good Speed. Just make sure if you use him, you only give him physical attacks, as his Special Attack is rather low. He may learn SolarBeam by level-up, but it's rather weak on him. Just note that Deerling doesn't learn an offensive Grass-type move until Lv32 (Energy Ball), which is Special but better than nothing. But, after evolving at Lv34, Sawsbuck learns Horn Leech (essentially a physical Giga Drain) at Lv37. Big Root enhances Horn Leech's power by 30%, so it's pretty good. But, between the two, I recommend Ferrothorn. The choice, however, is up to you.

As far as Ferrothorn, he also is a physical attacker when it comes to offense. Payback takes advantage of his very low base Speed stat of 20. Any moves that gain advantages from low speed or moving last are definitely great for Ferrothorn. He may learn Flash Cannon by level-up, but it's incredibly weak due to a base Special Attack of 54.

Last edited:

Wya77

Average Trainer
Years
  • Seen Nov 12, 2011
Got it. Thanks a lot!

Edit: Are there any other good options for Water typed pokemon? I'm leaning toward Jellicent. Maybe?

deoxys121

White Kyurem Cometh
Years
Jellicent isn't too bad, but Jellicent fills a role that Sigilyph is already able to fill (Psychic, Ghost, and Ice moves). Seismitoad is just fine for water. If not that, you could also try Tirtouga/Carracosta (revive from Cover Fossil obtained at Relic Castle). They're Water/Rock. Here's a recommended moveset:

Waterfall
Stone Edge
Shell Smash
Earthquake

If you need Surf for navigation, you can cut out Earthquake, since you already have Earthquake on Excadrill.

Wya77

Average Trainer
Years
  • Seen Nov 12, 2011
Ahh, completely forgot about Carracosta. I'm going to use him. Now when do I get the fossils?

Edit: I've been to Relic Castle. I think? If it's by the Desert Resort then yes. Who was I supposed to talk to?

deoxys121

White Kyurem Cometh
Years
Ahh, completely forgot about Carracosta. I'm going to use him. Now when do I get the fossils?

Edit: I've been to Relic Castle. I think? If it's by the Desert Resort then yes. Who was I supposed to talk to?

At Relic Castle in the entrance that goes underground, cross the far-left sand whirlpool (you have to walk to get across them). Then, talk to the backpacker, and you get to choose either the Cover Fossil or the Plume Fossil. Choose the Cover Fossil. You can get it revived at the Nacrene Museum from the guy on the right at the entrance. Tirtouga will be Lv25.

EDIT: As RHIOneAlbum said, a Fly slave is a good idea. Just take it out to fly, then put it back in your PC immediately after arriving.

Wya77

Average Trainer
Years
  • Seen Nov 12, 2011
Didn't think about Fly. :\

So.. My final team:

Emboar
- Hammer Arm
- Flare Blitz
- Stone Edge
- Flamethrower

Carracosta
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge
- Surf
- Shell Smash

Excadrill
- Metal Claw
- Earthquake
- Shadow Claw
- Swords Dance

Lilligant
- Energy Ball
- Light Screen
- Toxic
- Petal Dance
OR
Ferrothorn
- Power Whip
- Iron Head
- Payback
- Swords Dance
OR
Sawsbuck @ Big Root
- Horn Leech
- Jump Kick
- Giga Impact
- Return

Sigilyph
- Psychic
- Air Slash
- Shadow Ball
- Ice Beam

Galvantula
- Thunderbolt/Electro Ball
- Bug Buzz
- Energy Ball
- Light Screen

Used Copy+Paste so I'm using your color. So does this any any major holes or am I good?

deoxys121

White Kyurem Cometh
Years
That's good in my opinion. Post-game, you're gonna want as good a team as possible, because you're gonna be outranked by about 10 levels on average against the post-game trainers you find on routes. Their Pokemon range between about 60 and 68. As long as you use type advantages, though, you should be good fighting them. If you need any more in-game help, let me know. I've played through Black and White many times.

Wya77

Average Trainer
Years
  • Seen Nov 12, 2011
Ok, bro. Thanks again! I will most likely need more help. XD

Back