• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is there such a thing as the perfect team?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
You spend hours working on a team, defeat everyone on the ladder until a person using hyper beam and growl comes along and defeats you. You rework the team to overcome that person and everyone you faced before defeats you. Is it possible to perfect a team to be about to overcome every threat? If not, would it be ever possible with bans or another generation to shake up things? Discuss!

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
personal experience, nica? :3c
I don't think there'll ever be a thing known as the 'perfect' team. The metagame is always changing and things are getting banned and moving tiers etc. Every time a new generation comes around we get new threats and broken Pokemon which means you'd have to build your 'perfect' team around them too.

Building a near-perfect team, I think, is possible. But it would be extremely hard.

In other words. Perfect team, no. Near-perfect team, yes. :3c

GGJ

Roaming & Learning
Years
Not really because for me pokemon have to appeal to me aesthetically as well as stat & movepool wise to really be "good".

So I really think everybody has their different opinion of a perfect team and will claim they can beat anybody with it :3

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Not really because for me pokemon have to appeal to me aesthetically as well as stat & movepool wise to really be "good".

So I really think everybody has their different opinion of a perfect team and will claim they can beat anybody with it :3

Not sure that was the question. xD

I think that the reason a perfect team will never be able to be reached is that there will be more and more Pokemon, and the team size still stays the same. If there were only the original 150, there would probably be a perfect team because it would beat everyone, except for the occasional replica of the perfect team, which would probably just come down to luck in misses and crits.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
To be honest, introducing new Pokemon is only going to expand the issue rather than contain it. There are tons and tons and tons of Pokemon and sets and creativity out there; you literally cannot prepare for everything and this is a fact. What you can prepare for are the popular sets and Pokemon. If you can identify and deal with the most common threats to the goal of your team, you will be a successful battler. You will not be a successful battler by throwing teams together because they look fun or because together they "check" the majority of the meta. Your team needs a cutting edge to actually break into the opponent's team and give you a win; just preparing for the metagame doesn't necessarily help.

tl;dr Teambuilding is an art and of the utmost importance; learn to do it right and you'll be really successful.

PikachuGuy

THOSE CHU'Z
Years
There is no such thing as a "perfect team". There is always going to be somebody out there that is going to beat you. You could be a world champion and still get beat, while it's possible to build an excellent team with great counters, you are not going to be able to beat everyone. And a team of 6 Legendaries is not the answer, either. There's plenty of non-Legends out there that could destroy a Legend. You just have to have a bit of common sense, knowledge, strategy, and skills to be a good battler. Like stated above, building a perfect team is very hard and nearly impossible, since there's so many Pokes to watch out for, with Garchomp being a good example.

Ooka

[font=Maven Pro][color=#A75EE2]Cosmic[/color][/fon
Years
There are some guys that had a group here on PC dedicated to doing that a couple years ago and still weren't able to achieve it, so now that there are over a hundred new Pokemon I really don't think it's possible. But like it was said, first gen it was probably possible.

Back