• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Changing legendary status

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    In another thread something interesting came to mind. Dragonite, Volcarona, Salamence... and so on. By now we're up to at least over 700 Pokemon (as we've been told will be in this generation), and that brings us to 49 legendaries including Yveltal and Xerneas. Often, legendaries appear in multiple games, making them seem more common than certain Pokemon. In the last few generations we've been introduced to a lot of psuedo-legendaries, but aren't actually legendaries. What if that changed in this generation? What if the status quo was altered in that certain Pokemon of the past were said to be legendary, while others in the past were no longer legendary and rather just rare.

I mean, consider that legendaries and stories of legendaries were passed down from previous generations and so on, but imagine that this region was isolated from the previous regions (even still, this region far away from the previous regions so it's not completely crazy). And thus, new legendary tales, and new stories would arise. What could be considered legendary in the past five generations could commonly be found here, or was commonly discussed here to the point that even if you can't catch them, they're still a part of the region and rather less legendary than they were in the past. I mean, given that we've received so many duplicates of legendaries they just lose their appeal in general and become... nothing special. The creators could keep this in mind, and while those in this region wouldn't know how common they were in the past - they could definitely change it to relate to the Pokemon world at least!

Do you think something along these lines is likely to happen in X and Y with the points I mentioned above in mind? If so, how do you think this would be mentioned to the protagonist in particular? Would these points be brought up when interacting with the current legendaries - being Xerneas and Yveltal? If not, why don't you think it's likely to happen? SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS!

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    I doubt Gamefreak and TPC will change their legends. They'll probably create a real tier list instead of calling a few Mirages, Mystic and Legend ever other time like they do now. Its not like the real world doesn't have hundreds of dieties or hundreds of thousands of legends based on other humans. Even more so seeing as there are usually 10 different variations for each story.

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    I love the idea, I just don't see the games being the platform they use to express it. The anime usually expresses ideas that the games don't so I can definitely see concept happening, just not in X & Y. Kinda how in the anime there are islands of Pokémon with alternate colors and patterns, and some that speak human languages.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
    Years
  • I thought the world of pokemon had a stream of pseudo-legends already, you know? I mean, there are Chinese tales of Arcanine being a legendary pokemon, and even pokemon such as Dragonite who have tales about it not being seen before, or, maybe pokemon like Lapras on which, if you see one, it's said to bring you good luck, or... something like that. I mean, yeah, it'd be nice to see more folklore about more pokemon, so that they can be perceived as being "legendary", I just thought that the world of pokemon does that sort of thing already.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
    Years
  • No, no thank you. I think adding them to legendary just for the sake of doing it because of their stat total and a new setting doesn't make sense. Besides, the games are going to have a Pokédex, which will have data on all of these Pokémon anyways. Since the data is going to exist, it wouldn't make sense that these Pokémon would take on legendary status just because we're in a new setting where the Pokémon don't normally appear. If that was the case, then couldn't have Dragonite and Tyranitar been switched to legendary status when we switch over to Unova?

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
    Years
  • No, no thank you. I think adding them to legendary just for the sake of doing it because of their stat total and a new setting doesn't make sense. Besides, the games are going to have a Pokédex, which will have data on all of these Pokémon anyways. Since the data is going to exist, it wouldn't make sense that these Pokémon would take on legendary status just because we're in a new setting where the Pokémon don't normally appear. If that was the case, then couldn't have Dragonite and Tyranitar been switched to legendary status when we switch over to Unova?

Well, who knows? We're going to encounter an isolated region that may have different perspectives. Dragonite and Tyranitar might have not been considered "legendary" in Unova, but, what if this region slaps on a "legendary" title on say, an Arcanine, or a Rapidash? They may not be legendary for us, but, different cultures in pokemon can be.

Back