• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

We meet again

Years
Hello dear members of the Pokecommunity how's your day?

I guess this is no surprise I always have this short spells when I need to dump all the creativity I have in me and here I'm again.
Most of you probably don't know / remember me at all but it's fine I'm not a remarkable artist so I understand that.
Last time I posted a thread my fusions were extremely popular, I won't say it's almost too easy for me but in some sense it is, I just have an eye for fusions and if it wasn't for the rules in this forum I would only post fusions.
I do however respect the rules and since I have to present some original work I'll do so.

I will try my best to update this thread but I can't promise I'm just not the kind of person who stays committed to one hobby for a long time it all depends on my mood and workload from school and other stuff.
I might take requests preferably by PM, I get HIGHLY annoyed if you don't use my sprites for something or if you don't give credit. If I rejected you request it means I don't feel like doing this particular request or I'm just not in the mood to do it, in those cases I will usually suggest something else so we can reach an agreement.

So for the sprites:
Spoiler:

Discuss fellows!

Years
So, no comments?
Am I that bad or you guys just don't care?
Anyway, I'll keep posting until I get a response.

Mega Hariyama, and no it's not a Grimer sitting on it's head it's supposed to be a towel or something basically it's too hot for Mega Hariyama and he needs to cool off.

Mega Drapion it's huge I know I spent around 2-3 hours drawing this and I'm quite proud of it although the shading isn't the best I think.

Peace, love and rainbows.

Years
You need to work on your sense of form. It seems that you try to compensate for your lack of ability to use simple shapes to create form by making the art larger, which is a mistake. If you can't tackle a smaller sprite, you probably shouldn't be making big pieces. (Just my thought, anyways) So try spriting smaller, for your own benefit, and really concentrate on what shapes you can find within an object and try to incorporate them in a way that isn't too distorted and is proportional to the figure of your subject.
But I do see some real potential here if you can manage to get control of the shaping of your sprites. c: You certainly have ambition, which is great when it comes to pixeling.

Years
You need to work on your sense of form. It seems that you try to compensate for your lack of ability to use simple shapes to create form by making the art larger, which is a mistake. If you can't tackle a smaller sprite, you probably shouldn't be making big pieces. (Just my thought, anyways) So try spriting smaller, for your own benefit, and really concentrate on what shapes you can find within an object and try to incorporate them in a way that isn't too distorted and is proportional to the figure of your subject.
But I do see some real potential here if you can manage to get control of the shaping of your sprites. c: You certainly have ambition, which is great when it comes to pixeling.

I can see where you're coming from, but I'm in a mood for arguing right now if you don't mind ;)

First of all, I'm not trying to compensate on a lack of ability by using simple shapes, Pokemon are meant to be simple and smooth and I'm not sure I actually like the super complicated Pokemon a.k.a Zekrom, Dialga and **** like that I don't find them appealing and I refrain from using them for that reason.
You probably meant the Drapion art by "simple forms" and yes I agree it's not complicated whatsoever but the point is not to make things complicated the point is presenting something that people will find good ( I'm not saying it's good ) and I personally think one should use anything one can to make spriting simpler, I mean why not if you can probably achieve the same result with less effort ?
Smaller sprites ? I'll give it a try not sure if it's entirely my thing but OK.

concentrate on what shapes you can find within an object and try to incorporate them

What shapes within what objects do you mean exactly?

Proportions, yeah probably my weakest area any advice on how to improve that ?

Anyway, thanks for the critic and you're welcome to try and convince me otherwise, I'll update the thread with something probably late in the evening.

Edit:
So I took onto your advice and made some smaller sprites.

This is a Poliwrath after cruelly swallowing a Croagunk, I probably should add another blue tone but not now.

This is..I don't even know those are punching bags instead of arms and I had to figure out how to not make it completely bland hence the trunk looking so ****ed up, it was too late when I realised the colours I've used, holy **** brain.

Last edited:
Years
I had typed up a long response to this, but my INTERNET SUCKS and died after I posted it. So I will give you the short version. First of all, you took my meaning backwards. I was saying that you need to USE simple shapes. The shapes you are using right now are overly organic. Starting out with simple shapes and then moving up to rounding them off is the best way to make a sprite if you feel like you can't draw well. It allows for you to plan out how you want the sprite to look, instead of having to rely on simply drawing talent alone. I was making no remark upon the complexity/simplicity of any Pokemon designs, you misread me sir.

Drapion is one of my issues. The parts don't match well, while the overall form is communicated, it's executed poorly because of the way you made the legs look, which is overly round. The segments don't match together well because there wasn't a good understanding of how those shapes should fit together, like on the tail. The segments there are rounded off on the right side of it strangely, like you were trying to create a shell effect, kind of like a clam. Working smaller will help you get a better perspective on how big you should make each segment comparatively, so it doesn't feel like the sprite is bigger or smaller in different places needlessly.

Shapes within objects. Well. Take a look at what shapes you can literally make out in a design. For instance, Pikachu is made up of triangles, squares, and circles. The ears are rounded off triangles, the tail is a connecting mass of rectangles and a square, and the head and thighs are all very circular, while the body has a very rectangular shape to it. You need to be able to recognize those shapes in order to get a better understanding of how to connect form with shape. Form builds upon shape, so without an understanding of shape, it's pointless to try and create form.

Proportions come from studying length, width, and size of the different forms. This mainly takes practice and you'll develop a better sense of proportion as you do. So just compare different parts of the sprite with each other to make sure they aren't too long or too short or look like they're too small or big.

Back