• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen The new starter pokemon

pokemanmdj

Random Passerby
Years
  • Seen Jul 16, 2016
I chose Tepig in White, and Snivy in the sequel. Tepig is more of a tank, Oshawott is well rounded, and Snivy is really defensive.

I really like the brute force of Emboar- it also has a pretty decent movepool, imo. Serperior is super defensive, being able to survive multiple Fire Blasts. It's movepool is pretty limited, but it had access to Leech Seed and Leaf Tornado, and I was content with that. Oshawott has decent attacking stats a better speed stat than Tepig, so overall, Oshawott may be the best choice for any role in your party.

Deceit

Toxic.
Years
My first run through I started with Oshawott, which was pretty good for me, with the TMs it can learn, such as Ice Beam. The second time through I tried it with Snivy, despite its disappointing stats. I was actually quite happy with it. I didn't expect it to be very good, but it's Coil helped a lot, and it was actually surprisingly strong. I haven't tried Tepig though, but I've heard Tepig is also a good starter.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
In my first two White playthroughs I boxed my starter. They didn't appeal to me very much and had no intention on using them. In Black 2 I chose Snivy and I started to like them a bit more. Then non-game stuff (anime) happened and eventually I grew to like the Starters in general a bit. So, now on my recent White playthrough where I am doing a challenge I actually have all three starters as part of my team, though only one of them (due to the challenge) is evolved.

Though, thanks to both Black 2 and my recent White Playthrough Snivy has grown to be my favorite, which makes sense. I've always been keen for the water or grass starters and this time around it's Snivy.

Years
I usually use the grass starter for all of my Pokemon games. :3

I will agree though that Snivy was pretty useless... I also wasn't too keen on his design. I felt like it was kind of bland...

As a matter of fact, I didn't really like any of the started designs for Gen V... I can't see how Oshawott = Samurott. I feel like something in between there went missing. -o-

In addition, he Pignite line was also frustrating because they didn't learn but ONE fighting move. D: How can you be Fire/Fighting and only learn one fighting move?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
In addition, he Pignite line was also frustrating because they didn't learn but ONE fighting move. D: How can you be Fire/Fighting and only learn one fighting move?

It was extremely useful tho, I mean I used Arm Thrust a lot even when it was at like level 60 tbh. It's not such a bad move really lol.

Years
  • Seen Jun 22, 2023
The problem with Samurott for me is its Defense and Special Defense, even though it has a neutral nature...

Back